• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraxen

Sapiens said:
Ummm, if you have a good wireless router, you have all of these. My PS3 works flawlessly on my encrypted, MAC filtered wireless connection. I can even stream HD 720.

A blanket statement like that simply isn't true in all cases. It depends completely on your situation. How far do you need to the signal to go? Through how many walls? How many other wireless networks are in the area? Even stupid stuff like wireless phones, microwaves, and baby monitors can cause wireless connections to be unstable. A good wireless connection still gets tons of lost packets compared to wired. I'll take wired any day over wireless for a stationary device. It will never fail you short of a hardware failure.

It's great if you are in a situation where your wireless is dependable, but that won't be true for everyone which is why your statement is false. I actually tried streaming wireless to the PS3 in our bedroom. It worked for a few seconds and then started stuttering when the bitrate went too high... of course, half the stuff I stream is 1080p. The next day I ran a wire through the attic and hardwired that puppy. Rock solid since. And, yes, I have a very good router.

thuway

Sony do not be stupid and put a premium SKU out there. Either figure out a way to add BC via firmware or add BC through PSN and upgrade our old games to 1080p 32XAA :D.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
thuway said:
Sony do not be stupid and put a premium SKU out there. Either figure out a way to add BC via firmware or add BC through PSN and upgrade our old games to 1080p 32XAA :D.

srsly people stop these BC via FW dreams ..

SCEA asked God of War fans if they want GOW1 and 2 on Blu-ray disc ( that mean real ports not via emulator ) , if Sony can do BC via firmware they will not think about that at all , why wasting money and developers time on porting PS2 games if BC is possible via FW update .

DeadGzuz

Banned
Psychotext said:
People who have gigabit Ethernet. :)

Fuck slow arse wireless. Wireless N will do at a push, but wireless G is horrible.

(Wont make a difference for browsing the net, but will make a big difference when you've got multiple gb files being streamed all over the place)

I assume you are talking about streaming video? For playing games and DL demos G is just as good as wired, your DSL is probably 3Mbps and G is up to 54Mbps.

Cruzader

Banned
thuway said:
Bringing BC back will not cause PS3 to sell, wtf is wrong with some of you. When the average person is looking to buy a PS3, they wont be in for playing ps2 games. Cheaper price will.

DeadGzuz said:
I assume you are talking about streaming video? For playing games and DL demos G is just as good as wired, your DSL is probably 3Mbps and G is up to 54Mbps.

It's not the speed that's the issue, it's really about getting off of the 2.4 GHz frequency. That's why A and N are more desired, you'll be able to sustain a better link with much less interference.

Cruzader said:
Bringing BC back will not cause PS3 to sell, wtf is wrong with some of you. When the average person is looking to buy a PS3, they wont be in for playing ps2 games. Cheaper price will.

They won't be playing many ps2 games after that, if at all, but BC is still a major selling point at the time of purchase, at least in a psychological way.

Thraxen

NinjaMouse said:
It's not the speed that's the issue, it's really about getting off of the 2.4 GHz frequency. That's why A and N are more desired, you'll be able to sustain a better link with much less interference.

Unfortunately 5GHz doesn't go as far as the lower frequencies. So it has it's own drawbacks. Still if you can get a solid wireless connections and all you do is basic internet and some streaming then great... but it's still ultimately inferior to a wired connection for stationary devices. Some of us push multi-GB files around our networks on a regular basis. GBit ethernet > wireless no matter how solid your connection.

spwolf

Thraxen said:
Unfortunately 5GHz doesn't go as far as the lower frequencies. So it has it's own drawbacks. Still if you can get a solid wireless connections and all you do is basic internet and some streaming then great... but it's still ultimately inferior to a wired connection for stationary devices. Some of us push multi-GB files around our networks on a regular basis. GBit ethernet > wireless no matter how solid your connection.

on wireless n it is extremly hard to get it to transfer speeds at more 7-8 MBs, and thats only if you are transfering something one way wireless.... if you have to transfer from one wireless device to another, it is awful.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just want to give another +1 in favor of wired over wireless.
Sure, in most cases wireless works fine and dandy but if it's possible there really is no reason to go wireless over wired. Especially if you have the thing crammed in an entertainment center with 6 other devices and 30 wires.

Wireless is great, and I use it for my laptop.. but nothing will ever be as reliable or as fast as a wired connection.

Jtwo said:
Especially if you have the thing crammed in an entertainment center with 6 other devices and 30 wires.
Well that's the other thing. My TV has an ethernet port, as do three of my consoles, as does my media centre PC, as does my receiver.

It's just common sense to put a gigabit switch there. :D

IGN just posted this

Today, we received word that a trustworthy US GameStop employee discussed the matter with a Sony merchandizing representative. When the leaked photos were brought up in private conversation, the merchandizing representative was immediately surprised that the photos were "released already," but then hastily dismissed the subject when the rep realized that it was regarding a rumor. Could this reaction indicate that the PS3 Slim is more real than we originally thought?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/983/983279p1.html

Click

Banned
IGN said:
We certainly take this information with a grain of salt, but it at least enhances the possibility that a PS3 Slim will arrive sometime in the future.

A very large grain of salt... A "trustworthy" GS employee spoke with a Sony merchandise rep. LMAO!

"I heard a friend speaking to another friend who works at Sony..."

If that IGN writer posted that on GAF, he'd be banned for spreading rumors with a shitty source.

Vinci

Danish
Even though I really want this to be true, part of me doesn't 'cause I've always liked to imagine reps are devious, cunning little shits just waiting to bait people on things and later pretend to be surprised when what they hinted at doesn't happen.

So yeah, I'm torn on this.

gcubed

it boggles my mind that people still think this is fake, just the fish swimming against the stream. If Sin says September, its September

VegaShinra

So we have Sony going into E3 with a PS3 Slim, PSP Go, and a PS3 motion controller. Two of which are confirmed. Now we just need the triforce to be complete. :lol

HUELEN10

gcubed said:
it boggles my mind that people still think this is fake, just the fish swimming against the stream. If Sin says September, its September
Who or what is Sin? Sin has been mentioned several times, but I am lost.

Click said:
A very large grain of salt... A "trustworthy" GS employee spoke with a Sony merchandise rep. LMAO!

"I heard a friend speaking to another friend who works at Sony..."

If that IGN writer posted that on GAF, he'd be banned for spreading rumors with a shitty source.

Because it's entirely inconceivable that they might have engaged in dialogue with someone from Gamestop Corporate? I guess pimply-faced 19 yr. olds run the corporate office, too.

Click

Banned
NinjaMouse said:
Because it's entirely inconceivable that they might have engaged in dialogue with someone from Gamestop Corporate? I guess pimply-faced 19 yr. olds run the corporate office, too.

1. They said nothing about "corporate." So good job pulling that one out of your ass.
2. I'm not a "pimply-faced 19 yr. old."
3. You completely missed the point.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gcubed said:

Oh, if Sin confirmed it then I'll believe him.

Goldrusher

bcn-ron said:

triology.jpg

Never forget.

Vinci

Danish
VegaShinra said:
So we have Sony going into E3 with a PS3 Slim, PSP Go, and a PS3 motion controller. Two of which are confirmed. Now we just need the triforce to be complete. :lol

If Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are really gearing up for E3 as they each claim, this could prove to be a pretty damn good show. Just glad to see each company being so aggressive and really trying to make a race out of it.

HUELEN10

Kagari said:
No, he's not like surfer girl. His information isn't hit and miss, it's all been real.
Can you link me to past claims of his? I believe it, but since this is this is the first time I hear of him, I kinda wanna see what else he has revealed!

FrankT

September eh. Well maybe they will cut the price of the current SKUs to flush the system before then.

That makes sense too because I remember a comment a Reeves made earlier this year saying something to the effect if we could just get through the next 7 or 8 months then all would be well (paraphrasing here).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HUELEN10 said:
Can you link me to past claims of his? I believe it, but since this is this is the first time I hear of him, I kinda wanna see what else he has revealed!

He had detailed information about Sony's E3 conference contents last year, for example.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Reading back through the thread, I think changing the logo is a good idea, though I definitely like the PS2/PSP font style better.

Loudninja said:
So how much do you guys think this thing will cost?

349$ for 120go seems fair to me. If they put it at 399$, people won't see it like a real deal. Smaller size but same prize... Meh, bad for marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom