• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

UnluckyKate said:
349$ for 120go seems fair to me. If they put it at 399$, people won't see it like a real deal. Smaller size but same prize... Meh, bad for marketing.

I think it will be 300$,this is not just some regular PS3 this will be their slim model.

Loudninja said:
I think it will be 300$,this is not just some regular PS3 this will be their slim model.

Yes indeed, 300$ will be really good for the sales, but I guess it's a bit optimistic... But a 300$ slim model for summer, with a super FF XIII combo at Xmas and it's big in japan

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think they'll drop the PSHuskee to $299 to flush it out of the system and launch the slim at $399/$349.

Sin

This is all getting out of hand, honestly, I do not like all the attention my posts are getting. My name's all over the internet regarding these rumors.

The 'ban if wrong' thing I do not like, and it comes up in every thread I post in. You guys have to realize that things change, plans change, dates get shuffled all the time in this industry. I do not want to get banned and get bad reputation over something as trivial as a missed date on a rumor I post. Practically, its one mistake and all the previous positives are forgotten.

I know about the PS3 Slim, I have said that its planned to come out during fall '09 last year, but I can't tell you how many times the release schedule has changed. September is the last date I have heard, and I haven't said if it was a release or reveal.

Ultimately I might be wrong and for that I am sorry.

I'll just speculate about these things like everybody else from now on.

UnluckyKate said:
Yes indeed, 300$ will be really good for the sales, but I guess it's a bit optimistic... But a 300$ slim model for summer, with a super FF XIII combo at Xmas and it's big in japan
$299 would explain both why the expect to sell 13 million ps3s this year, when they only sold 10 million last year and are currently down year over year, and why the expect to post a similar loss this year as last year, despite the obvious cost saving measures related to ps3 hardware.

A $100 cut would explain everything.

HUELEN10

Sin said:
This is all getting out of hand, honestly, I do not like all the attention my posts are getting. My name's all over the internet regarding these rumors.

The 'ban if wrong' thing I do not like, and it comes up in every thread I post in. You guys have to realize that things change, plans change, dates get shuffled all the time in this industry. I do not want to get banned and get bad reputation over something as trivial as a missed date on a rumor I post. Practically, its one mistake and all the previous positives are forgotten.

I know about the PS3 Slim, I have said that its planned to come out during fall '09 last year, but I can't tell you how many times the release schedule has changed. September is the last date I have heard, and I haven't said if it was a release or reveal.

Quoting you for your sake!

Thanks for everything BTW, you won't get banned, you shouldn't.

Vinci

Danish
Sin said:

If you get banned over something being shifted in its scheduling, then they should ban everyone other than me in this thread as well. Take everyone down with you. That's how much we - no, they - are willing to support your right to post.

Really, you'll all go down together. Except me. I don't know you well enough.

Sin said:

I've been saying "Trust the Sin" all day long, but now I'm saying "PROTECT THE SIN."

I don't want ya banned bud! You're a great source of info around these parts.

Vinci

Danish
H_Prestige said:
$350 because I think Sony will probably want to make a significant profit per system rather than get into a price war with MS.

This seems likely to me as well. I can't imagine them losing money on the system if they have a choice.

DieH@rd

Banned
v2y4jl.jpg

DieH@rd said:
They shuuld put this on a market ASAP.

PS3 Slim for 400$
old PS3 for 300$ [while supplies last 3-4 months]
and then on september/october put a pricedrop on Slim....

They will sell a shitton during hollydays.

I like the way you think.

spwolf

Vinci said:
If Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are really gearing up for E3 as they each claim, this could prove to be a pretty damn good show. Just glad to see each company being so aggressive and really trying to make a race out of it.

no matter what happens in E3, we will see a lot of people saying it was dissapointing, dont worry about that :p

Vinci

Danish
spwolf said:
no matter what happens in E3, we will see a lot of people saying it was dissapointing, dont worry about that :p

Oh, I know. Like I said, just enjoying the idea of the three going for each others' throats. It's entertaining.

spwolf

H_Prestige said:
$350 because I think Sony will probably want to make a significant profit per system rather than get into a price war with MS.

i doubt it, i keep repeating myself...
1. sony expects double sales compared to last year q3/q4 - which means price is going to be really good.
2. sony already announced they expect to lose money in FY 2009.

Price will be good... if they announce it now for $400 for instance, then they will get a lot of negative press in this economy, so whatever they announce, it will be bombastic to make big impact.

Tobor

spwolf said:

I just want my PSP GO! A slim PS3 is icing on the cake.

Reel me back in, Sony!

HUELEN10

What if it is a 400USD bundle with some games or something? Like Killzone2 and another blockbuster? It would be competing directly with the 360 Elite Summer Bundle.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sin said:
sin's words.

Yea I can see how your name and posts are being thrown around as fact to the point when people start calling for permban if it does not come to pass, i hate crap like that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
HUELEN10 said:
Why the fuck not?

Because they won't announce this until at most a few weeks before release. And it's not releasing in July (I don't think).

So yeah, I don't think this will be at E3.

spwolf said:
1. sony expects double sales compared to last year q3/q4 - which means price is going to be really good.

Price will be good... if they announce it now for $400 for instance, then they will get a lot of negative press in this economy, so whatever they announce, it will be bombastic to make big impact.

What about all the current ps3's they still have sitting around? I imagine they will drop the price on those to get rid of them asap, so could that be where the projected losses come from?

Wollan

HUELEN10 said:
Why the fuck not?
Too early. They want to get rid of more current PS3's.
I know some suggested dual price/console offering but it's never done that way.
Sales of the old one would be slower if it shared shelf space with the new one despite lower price.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wollan said:
Sales of the old one would be slower if it shared shelf space with the new one despite lower price.

Ehm, wasn't the 80 Gig done exactly like that in summer of 2007?

The sixty was 500, and the 80 was 600, and then the 80 dropped to 500, and the new 40 came in at 400.

So we'd go 80 gig 300, 120 gig 400 then a price drop to 300 later in the year. Seems extremely likely to me. Or they'd go the PSP route and have them both be the same price, and let retailers drop the price on the older system.

Tobor

Wollan said:

Tell that to Nintendo.

DMeisterJ said:
Ehm, wasn't the 80 Gig done exactly like that in summer of 2007?

The sixty was 500, and the 80 was 600, and then the 80 dropped to 500, and the new 40 came in at 400.

So we'd go 80 gig 300, 120 gig 400 then a price drop to 300 later in the year. Seems extremely likely to me. Or they'd go the PSP route and have them both be the same price, and let retailers drop the price on the older system.

A valid point as well.

Wollan

I want to believe that.

That was unusually turbulent times though (but you are right, I did forget).
While the current PS3 isn't selling for profit, the 60GB BC was just a killer budget wise. People screaming..etc.

Banned
spwolf said:

Really? I thought it was 30% increase.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Tobor said:
Tell that to Nintendo.

Oh yeah, DS/DSi.

I think people will just pay for what they want to get. Since they'll likely be the same, aside from storage, it just depends on whether you want it slim or not. Tons of people will hop on at a 300 price point for the current one, and the ones that want it slim can buy it later on in the year for 300, or pay premium for being an early adopter. It's actually the easiest way to go about doing this. Waiting for 80 gig stock to run out might take forever given the rate the PS3 is selling at right now :lol

Goldrusher

Vinci said:
If you get banned over something being shifted in its scheduling, then they should ban everyone other than me in this thread as well. Take everyone down with you. That's how much we - no, they - are willing to support your right to post.

Really, you'll all go down together. Except me. I don't know you well enough.
:lol

Spiegel

Karma said:
Really? I thought it was 30% increase.

He's saying double the sales for Q3/Q4. The 30% increase is for the full year.

Q1 and Q2 are going to be down significantly (unless they do a pricecut/release the slim) so Q3/Q4 must make up for the lost sales.

Tobor

DMeisterJ said:
Oh yeah, DS/DSi.

I think people will just pay for what they want to get. Since they'll likely be the same, aside from storage, it just depends on whether you want it slim or not. Tons of people will hop on at a 300 price point for the current one, and the ones that want it slim can buy it later on in the year for 300, or pay premium for being an early adopter. It's actually the easiest way to go about doing this. Waiting for 80 gig stock to run out might take forever given the rate the PS3 is selling at right now :lol

I've been holding out for $300 to buy a PS3. Honestly though, if the slim is $400, I'd still pull the trigger. It just looks so much better.

Banned
Spiegel said:
He's saying double the sales for Q3/Q4. The 30% increase is for the full year.

Q1 and Q2 are going to be down significantly (unless they do a pricecut/release the slim) so Q3/Q4 must make up for the lost sales.

They would need to ship almost 10 Million units Q3 to double last year. That is never going to happen.

Karma said:
They would need to ship almost 10 Million units Q3 to double last year. That is never going to happen.
Ditto. In 2008 Sony sold about 4 million in Q1+Q2 and 6 million in Q3+Q4... I doubt they would anticipate selling 12 million PS3 Lites after only selling 1 million PS3 Phats in the first two quarters...

Spiegel

Karma said:

2008:
Q1 + Q2 = 4 million
Q2 + Q3 = 6 million
Total = 10 million

If there's no pricedrop/slim before Q3

2009:

Q1 + Q2 = less than 4 million
Q3 + Q4 = more than 9 million

Total = 13 million

It'll be a significant bump for Q3/Q4 but yeah, not double

Aren't these pictures taken from the production floor ?

If so, that means they've already stopped making PS3-phat and have been making these babies (for who knows how long).

They'd have to wait for inventory of the older systems to clear before introducing these.

So they may announce a price cut first to help clear inventory before releasing these (in the fall say).

At least that's my take.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Trying to keep up with this cluster of a thread....

What info is concrete? When and how much? There's too much talking.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LiquidMetal14 said:
Trying to keep up with this cluster of a thread....

What info is concrete? When and how much? There's too much talking.

If you believe the photos, then all we know is that there's a new PS3 model in production that is smaller than the existing one, sports all that you would expect (2 usb ports, hdmi out, lan, wifi, ps av out, optical out, 120GB hdd). Estimates of size based on the photos place it at perhaps 26cm wide (down from the current 32.5cm). Depth is more debateable, may range anywhere from 22 cm to the current existing depth of 27.4cm. Height is much more difficult to estimate based on the pics, but the base component appears to be 3cm high. According to info accompanying the photos, it is 1/3 lighter than the current model.

We don't know anything about price or when. There's murmurings about a Fall release.

Nothing is really concrete, though, yet.

JoJo13

Banned
gofreak said:
Because they won't announce this until at most a few weeks before release. And it's not releasing in July (I don't think).

So yeah, I don't think this will be at E3.

How do you know it's not releasing in July if they're already producing units/boxes?

Click

Banned
Sin said:

Umm...

Why would you be banned?
It's like you were one of the retards who made a ban bet.

You merely said "September." That's all.

All you need to worry about is if your "connections," or "contacts" in real life has a problem with you confirming a general timetable as to when the "Slim" will be released... if they even know who you are on GAF. Other than that, there's really nothing else to worry about.

Sin said:

How about not posting insider secrets on the worlds biggest gaming forum if you don't like the attention? :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JoJo13 said:
How do you know it's not releasing in July if they're already producing units/boxes?

I don't, but Fall just seems more likely to me..plus what sin said :p But who knows. It's just a prediction, could be wrong.

Sin

dreamcastmaster said:
How about not posting insider secrets on the worlds biggest gaming forum if you don't like the attention?

I've been posting insider info for ages, and it never got this widespread, that is why I said its getting out of hand.

Click

Banned
Sin said:
I've been posting insider info for ages, and it never got this widespread, that is why I said its getting out of hand.

So you're more worried about the "widespread" nature of your info? Or are you just worried that Sony will somehow find out who you are in real life and get you in trouble?

Because again, there's very little chance you'll be banned if you're off with your "September" comment. This entire thread is full of speculations and speculators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom