• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeFfRey said:
I think that you forget that people want to play games, gadgets are nice, but that stops there. The BC permits to only have one console attached, unlimited memory cards, and upscaling, all things that the PS2 can't do. I own a PS3 to play games, so the more I can play, the best value for me it is.
I understand what you are getting it, and to an extent its true but to be fair i think that the people who for the most part want a PS3 for the BC arent people who want it for unlimited memory cards or upscalling its for people who's PS2 have broken down. Of course it would be nice for people to play their PS2 games on all versions of PS3 but at the end of the day its a PS3 and there are plenty of games out for it and if you really want you can play your ps1 games on it.

Sometimes i think we have had it too good with the BC in the PS2 and at first PS3 and now expect too much, its not like the PS2 was one of/the first consoles to use this feature to such an extent and yet we now 'need' it every cycle regardless of how viable it is from a businees point.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
neojubei said:
I wonder why so many want this to be fake? Is it too soon for a slim model PS3? Why is it easy to believe a new psp is coming but not a new ps3?

dunno , thing is Sony in despair , PS3 have great games library ( the best this gen imo ) but the system not selling at all , they need redesigned or cheaper PS3 ASAP .

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
neojubei said:
I wonder why so many want this to be fake? Is it too soon for a slim model PS3? Why is it easy to believe a new psp is coming but not a new ps3?

Because we have no self control and if they release a new smaller PS3, everyone's going to have to buy one!

:lol I kind of want this to be fake because I wanted to buy a PS3 in June. And now I'm going to have to wait until the Fall to buy one if they are coming out with a redesign!

Adam Prime said:
Because we have no self control and if they release a new smaller PS3, everyone's going to have to buy one!

:lol I kind of want this to be fake because I wanted to buy a PS3 in June. And now I'm going to have to wait until the Fall to buy one if they are coming out with a redesign!

Why...

Triforce-of-Hate said:
Any idea of what they're planning to strip out of the console in terms of features?

What about it being smaller makes you think any features would be removed? We've clearly seen all the ports on the existing models, represented in these pictures. The only thing uncertain is whether the HDD will be swappable.

hirokazu

gofreak said:
They didn't drop the "PlayStation" logo though. It wasn't on the PSone box (at least the front of it, I don't think), but they didn't drop or replace it with a new version of that logo.
Yeah, the original PlayStation logo was still present on the side of the PSone box.

Valkyr Junkie said:
What about it being smaller makes you think any features would be removed? We've clearly seen all the ports on the existing models, represented in these pictures. The only thing uncertain is whether the HDD will be swappable.

Well we've seen features removed in the past, IR ports, # of USB ports scaled down, Hard disk drive bay disappearing...

The notion of removing features isn't entirely without precedent.

Adam Prime said:

Announce in June and release in the Fall? Without a price cut on current stock in between thatd be sales suicide.

Erebus

Cardon said:
Maybe my eyes are still fuzzy and I am tired today but what is this supposed to be? Yes the circled logo seems to be the one that has been used already for various PS3 ads. Or was the PSLS article saying that this is supposed to be the new PS3 Slim logo?

Has this logo been used again in trailers and ads? Maybe it's just me but I've never seen it before again.

FrankT

DieH@rd said:
Does Sony still loses money on each PS3 sold? Are they even? Do they earn few bucks?

Yes, still 10% per system;

CFO Nobuyuki Oneda stating that the PS3's cost to Sony is still about 10% higher than the system's price. This is current as of the end of March.

The PS3 is priced differently in each territory, but in Japan, 10% would mean about a 4,000 yen hit (this is assuming Oneda is referring to the retail cost, which may not be the case).

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/05/15/sony_ps3_profitability/

As I stated in the other thread; Yea I thought they still were as of late last year best esimates were still a loss of $50 and now that looks like around $40. Perhaps the slim version will be closer to break even point, and that would be a good thing.

And if they do get it to that $299 price point they will have had to make significant changes to drop each basically $140 off the top to reach break even.

panda21

i like the new logo, looks like halfway betwen PSOne and PS2

also, if they do bring back BC the incentive would be if they also have DD games. i think they could make a lot of money if they put up things like MGS3, SotC etc

spwolf

pseudocaesar said:
Announce in June and release in the Fall? Without a price cut on current stock in between thatd be sales suicide.

why wouldnt there be an price cut on current stock?

spwolf

Jtyettis said:
Yes, still 10% per system;

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/05/15/sony_ps3_profitability/

As I stated in the other thread; Yea I thought they still were as of late last year best esimates were still a loss of $50 and now that looks like around $40. Perhaps the slim version will be closer to break even point, and that would be a good thing.

And if they do get it to that $299 price point they will have had to make significant changes to drop each basically $140 off the top to reach break even.

as they are predicting to lose money in FY 09, i would assume ps3 would not be profitable at new price point... but still have significant cost reduction compared to current model.

edgefusion

Valkyr Junkie said:

Because stripping out features is what Sony does best!

But yeah, I fully expect features to be missing if this turns out to be real, there's no way Sony will pass up an opportunity to fuck it's customers again.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
edgefusion said:

But yeah, I fully expect features to be missing if this turns out to be real, there's no way Sony will pass up an opportunity to fuck it's customers again.

And what features you think they will remove? Nothing much more they could remove.

edgefusion said:

Actually they would be fucking people that aren't their customers, for the most part. I think that this kind of thing is a bid to give first adopters more reason to adopt early, we've been taught that if you wait you get stripped down hardware.

thuway

I just don't see many features being ripped out. The only one I could possibly see going is the interchangable hard drive. Other than that - HDMI? no. Wifi? no. Bluray? no.

edgefusion said:

This isn't fucking customers. Its called 'you get what you paid for'. And at $299 you can't expect to get what someone got for $599.

edgefusion said:

2hzpq2d.gif

FrankT

Rumble again. :lol

thuway said:
I just don't see many features being ripped out. The only one I could possibly see going is the interchangable hard drive. Other than that - HDMI? no. Wifi? no. Bluray? no.

To be honest I'm not really too sure what they reasonably could cut either besides just the physical size of the box.

neojubei

thuway said:

I always thought Sony went with the smaller harddrive was incase they do make a smaller system you can swap the harddrive.

badcrumble said:
wifi

optical out

rumble again

:p

Possible but I doubt it. I hope next gen wifi is standard in all systems.

panda21

surely they would keep the wifi because of the whole ps3->psp connectivity thing

if you get rid of that you would be throwing away all the stuff they developed for that like ad hoc party or dl'ing psp games on the ps3 and remote play

HUELEN10

panda21 said:
surely they would keep the wifi because of the whole ps3->psp connectivity thing

if you get rid of that you would be throwing away all the stuff they developed for that like ad hoc party or dl'ing psp games on the ps3 and remote play
wouldn't a great middle-ground be WiFi via an external device? I know it is screwing people over, but I don't want to pay for wi-fi I am not gonna use. Long live my Cat5e.

neojubei

panda21 said:

so true. remote play is something Sony should be pushing not removing.

HUELEN10 said:
wouldn't a great middle-ground be WiFi via an external device? I know it is screwing people over, but I don't want to pay for wi-fi I am not gonna use. Long live my Cat5e.

Get thee back with that insane talk. *Hugs invisible wi-fi. * Sony should not screw consumers with a wi-fi external device. I cannot even think of such a thing.

Vinci

Danish
lupinko said:
BACK OFF NINTENBOTS!

By suggesting that Sony should emulate its best-selling console, the oft-considered 'king of consoles,' rather than some shitty superhero franchise that jumped the shark on its third outing (ironic how that works out), I'm being attacked?

It would be a good move to try to conjure up some of the PS2's magic, Spider-Man's ain't worth shit.

Mind you: I want Sony to be successful. Liking Nintendo doesn't make me hate the other two.

EDIT, @ HUELEN: If Sony goes external wifi on this thing, I won't buy the console. It's that simple. I fell for that external shit ONCE. It will not happen again.

HUELEN10

H_Prestige said:
Is wifi really that expensive? I mean, if even Nintendo can put it in their consoles...
You are forgetting lack of ethernet. It sucked having to buy an adapter for it. I am sorry, but I am just of the school at says that ethernet should be standard, but Wi-Fi should be included only if the price is still right. Making a wi-fi adapter available optionally just makes sense, especially since PS3 works with generic everything!

That being said, wi-fi adapter or not, I cannot wait for this PS3. Please be real.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PS3_Slim_4.jpg

Looks like two indicator lights to me..? (the pair of 'dots' near the usb ports)

My 20GB has just the one, for the HDD. Isn't the other for wifi?

neojubei

H_Prestige said:
Is wifi really that expensive? I mean, if even Nintendo can put it in their consoles...

Yea I know, even the DS has wi-fi.

If this redesign is real Japan will eat this up quick.

gabe90

HUELEN10 said:
You are forgetting lack of ethernet. It sucked having to buy an adapter for it. I am sorry, but I am just of the school at says that ethernet should be standard, but Wi-Fi should be included only if the price is still right.

Really though? I am planning to move soon and my 360 will likely be nowhere near the modem/router. Suddenly I am realizing how ridiculous it is to not have Wi-Fi. Really, who connects to the internet via wires anymore aside from businesses?

HUELEN10

gabe90 said:
Really though? I am planning to move soon and my 360 will likely be nowhere near the modem/router. Suddenly I am realizing how ridiculous it is to not have Wi-Fi. Really, who connects to the internet via wires anymore aside from businesses?
People who want a damn good connection, don't have to worry about any security issues, and such.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I predict that it will have Wi-Fi, 2 USB, 120GB HDD (that can be removed), Blu-ray playback, HDMI, optical out, and no BC. It will be $299.99. If they add BC, the price will stay close to $400 or perhaps $349.99.

neojubei

gabe90 said:

So true. Almost everything in my place is wi-fi except my 360 and desktop. I like the freedom without the wires.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DenogginizerOS said:
I predict that it will have Wi-Fi, 2 USB, 120GB HDD (that can be removed), Blu-ray playback, HDMI, optical out, and no BC.

Eyeing that opening on the front (for the hdd, perhaps), I think this too.

Not sure on price tho. I think there will be a cut but I'm just not sure how much. I'd like to think a $100 cut, but I've this feeling in my stomach that they'll use the new version as an excuse to try and prop up the price somewhat. I hope that feeling's wrong though.

Thraxen

gabe90 said:

Are you serious? Really? WiFi is just too damned flaky. Like most people I have WiFi at home for laptops and other mobile devices, but I have all my stationary devices wired. I suppose I could have gone wireless with the Wii, but for the PS3 and 360 they must be wired because they handle streaming of HD media on a regular basis. WiFi just plain sucks ass for streaming large files.

DenogginizerOS said:
I predict that it will have Wi-Fi, 2 USB, 120GB HDD (that can be removed), Blu-ray playback, HDMI, optical out, and no BC. It will be $299.99. If they add BC, the price will stay close to $400 or perhaps $349.99.
If PS2 BC comes back it'll be through software - adding it back via hardware (implying that non-BC PS3s would never get PS2 BC patched in) would make a lot of non-BC PS3 owners furious at getting screwed over, and would look really bad. Could be limited to certain titles in a fashion similar to PSP POPS, though.

Sapiens

HUELEN10 said:
People who want a damn good connection, don't have to worry about any security issues, and such.

Ummm, if you have a good wireless router, you have all of these. My PS3 works flawlessly on my encrypted, MAC filtered wireless connection. I can even stream HD 720.

gabe90 said:

Yes I really want to buy wireless capabilities for each and every one of my internet devices.

Half of my stuff is wireless, half is wired.

Vinci

Danish
Sapiens said:
Ummm, if you have a good wireless router, you have all of these. My PS3 works flawlessly on my encrypted, MAC filtered wireless connection. I can even stream HD 720.

Everything in my home is wireless. Screw wires. If it's making a difference, nothing I've tried can notice.

gabe90 said:
People who have gigabit Ethernet. :)

Fuck slow arse wireless. Wireless N will do at a push, but wireless G is horrible.

(Wont make a difference for browsing the net, but will make a big difference when you've got multiple gb files being streamed all over the place)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom