• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Spiegel said:
2008:
Q1 + Q2 = 4 million
Q2 + Q3 = 6 million
Total = 10 million

If there's no pricedrop/slim before Q3

2009:

Q1 + Q2 = less than 4 million
Q3 + Q4 = more than 9 million

Total = 13 million

It'll be a significant bump for Q3/Q4 but yeah, not double

yeah, depends on when will the price be dropped but i there are few factors to remember such as when is FY 2009 Q1/Q2 and sales last year were big MSG4 launch in June, which simply wont happen this year. Until PS3 gets an price drop, sales will be significantly down compared to FY 2008 when they had competitive price and MGS4 bump.

It might not be double, but it will be significant.

Q1
April 2008 187,100
May 2008 208,700
June 2008 405,500

Q2
July 2008 225,000
August 2008 185,400
September 2008 232,400

Q3
October 2008 190,000
November 2008 378,000
December 2008 726,000

Q4
January 2009 203,200
February 2009 276,000
March 2009 218,000

Q1 2009
April 2009 127,000

I think there is little chance of Q1 being anywhere as good unless there is significant price drop. So it might not need the double, but it will need significant bump considering that Q1 got big boost by MGS4.

Well regardless, if and when the slim comes out, it will be interesting to see how the general public would react. My nongaming friends, for example, always ask what's new with E3.

This will be interesting, regardless of whenever it comes.

WhiteAce said:
are people thinking of double dipping the slim?

I seriously kinda am, if it's 100% real AND has PS2 guts in there for PS2 playback. I've been wanting a latest-model slim PS2 to put in my room since the original model with hard drive is way too bulky and would take up too much desk space. If the slim PS3 has that functionality, then screw the 99 dollar PS2.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I seriously kinda am, if it's 100% real AND has PS2 guts in there for PS2 playback. I've been wanting a latest-model slim PS2 to put in my room since the original model with hard drive is way too bulky and would take up too much desk space. If the slim PS3 has that functionality, then screw the 99 dollar PS2.

Never gonna happen. A big reason why the PS3 motherboard is so much smaller in newer PS3s is due to the fact that it's missing B/C.

TouchMyBox said:
Never gonna happen. A big reason why the PS3 motherboard is so much smaller in newer PS3s is due to the fact that it's missing B/C.

Then I guess I'll be nabbing the $99 PS2. :3

Hoping that if this is 100% real and the product is displayed, that it looks gorgeous and I end up wanting it anyway. :lol

I don't think I'll be buying the first gen slim(ish). There's likely to be a lot further they can go with it... and history has shown us that they will. :D

(Not to mention that even at 45nm that's a lot of heat to deal with in a small package so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to run the fan / fans faster)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i guess if i can dump the hdd into the slim and it has full bc i -might- go try and dump the fatty and get a thin.

A US model thin to go with the japanese machine somewhere down the line would be nice if it has the bc.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
lol

Best you may get is a firmware update enabling full software BC down the line, and that's assuming they can somehow manage to get emulators functioning properly on quad core PCs, and then figure out how to port them to the ps3's different and now aging architecture.

Of course, if they for some strange reason tossed back in BC, and if the slim ps3 looks better as a whole than it does broken apart like in the images we've seen (tbh, it looks fugly so far), then I may upgrade from my 60gb launch unit.

DCharlie

yeah, just to add - i really hope these images AREN'T of the PS3 slim because it looks a bit shoddy.

Zaptruder said:
You'll probably change your tune once you see proper pictures.

That's my thinking, that once proper shots of this thing on a pedestal in whatever event it's announced in surface, then the rubric isn't against a questionable-quality image from a cell phone. Also by then it's real and the full details will have surfaced.

Here's what would complete own E3 for me.

Kaz or Tretton: There's one small thing we've kept from you during this presentation.

And they lift the current model PS3 only to reveal it's a hollow shell that's been covering the slim the whole time. Massive brick-shitting.

DCharlie

az or Tretton: There's one small thing we've kept from you during this presentation.

And they lift the current model PS3 only to reveal it's a hollow shell that's been covering the slim the whole time. Massive brick-shitting.

well, i'Ve often called Sony out for making some retarded decissions but this really would take the biscuit!

RUSSIAN DOLL STATION 3

open this one up , there's a slim inside, open that up, theres a ps2slim in there, opent that up theres a Ps1 in there, opent that up , there is a pocket station... ;)

WhiteAce said:
well, i'Ve often called Sony out for making some retarded decissions but this really would take the biscuit!

RUSSIAN DOLL STATION 3

open this one up , there's a slim inside, open that up, theres a ps2slim in there, opent that up theres a Ps1 in there, opent that up , there is a pocket station... ;)

Well it wouldnt be called Russian doll station 3 now would it. Its not as though there have been 2 before it.

Zaptruder

Banned
Machado said:
how do you know this? have you seen the real thing?

Its my feeling that the people who are criticising it might not really be seeing it in the same manner as those who see it positively... and I mean in the sense that they may be misunderstanding its dimensions, shape, or whatever.

I say that because to me it seems like a very natural extension on the shape of the PS3, while providing some streamlined details, and is very much in keeping with the nature of the playstation hardware revisions.

But I only say probably; it is still possible for him (and others that dislike it now) to dislike it after he (and they) sees the real deal.

FoxSpirit

Totobeni said:
srsly people stop these BC via FW dreams ..

SCEA asked God of War fans if they want GOW1 and 2 on Blu-ray disc ( that mean real ports not via emulator ) , if Sony can do BC via firmware they will not think about that at all , why wasting money and developers time on porting PS2 games if BC is possible via FW update .

DO WANT!!

Boonoo

Psychotext said:
(Not to mention that even at 45nm that's a lot of heat to deal with in a small package so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to run the fan / fans faster)
The 45nm chip should run cooler than the 65.

Click said:
1. They said nothing about "corporate." So good job pulling that one out of your ass.
2. I'm not a "pimply-faced 19 yr. old."
3. You completely missed the point.

1. Simply arguing the other end of the spectrum, so calm down.

2. Good for you, you clearly fall in the minority of Gamestop employees, so calm down.

3. I 100% caught the point and was simply pointing out that "employee" could cover everyone from CEO to cashier, so calm down.

Wollan

Karma said:
What if they don`t add BC? What if it is just a smaller PS3?
BC is unrelated to this redesign. They won't add the PS2 chipset back in.
If it ever comes back it will be via a firmware update and it will be an addition to all PS3 consoles.

Shins said:
They make PS3s with games now?
Cork-1.gif
[/IMG]

hirokazu

Click said:
Umm...

Why would you be banned?
It's like you were one of the retards who made a ban bet.

You merely said "September." That's all.

All you need to worry about is if your "connections," or "contacts" in real life has a problem with you confirming a general timetable as to when the "Slim" will be released... if they even know who you are on GAF. Other than that, there's really nothing else to worry about.
Retards? What?

If you actually read my posts in this thread, I have both arguments to support this thing being fake as well as it being real.

It's not like I was all HAW HAW THIS MUST BE FAKE AND I KNOW BECAUSE I'VE SEEN A COUPLE FAKES IN MY TIME SO I'M GONNA MAKE A BET ON IT. I don't know what's happened in the past few pages, but I don't think Sin should be banned if dates change or something.

Me, I have no regrets for making the ban bet. Somebody's gotta take the other guy up on it. I'll just be back in 3 months.

I mean, did I somehow deeply offend you by taking up the bet that you call me a retard? :lol

GODDAMN IM BACK! :D feels so good!

In regards of the rumor of the slim, I can guarantee that this isn't fake. This can't be fake and this will definitely be unveiled at E3. Sin's September release makes alot of sense since thats the tentative release month for Uncharted 2. If this model is getting a $50 price drop then the older model will have a $100 price-drop to move the units from the shelves. To add a little spice to it, It'll be released with a PSN game as well (my guess would be Wipeout HD).

In short, BELIEVE! :D

HUELEN10

shagg_187 said:
GODDAMN IM BACK! :D feels so good!

In regards of the rumor of the slim, I can guarantee that this isn't fake. This can't be fake and this will definitely be unveiled at E3. Sin's September release makes alot of sense since thats the tentative release month for Uncharted 2. If this model is getting a $50 price drop then the older model will have a $100 price-drop to move the units from the shelves. To add a little spice to it, It'll be released with a PSN game as well (my guess would be Wipeout HD).

In short, BELIEVE! :D
How can you guarantee it? Have connections?

Karma said:
If you already have a PS3 what is the advantage of have another slimmer one?
If you have an Xbox already, what is the advantage of buying another one with a new chipset? (Epic lulz)

They do more than play games, especially the PS3. I'd keep my old one and buy the slim to do co-op with siblings etc or put it in another room for BluRay playback or whatever. Not to mention quieter, less electricity, etc.

fanboi

Banned
Click said:
Umm...

Why would you be banned?
It's like you were one of the retards who made a ban bet.

You merely said "September." That's all.

All you need to worry about is if your "connections," or "contacts" in real life has a problem with you confirming a general timetable as to when the "Slim" will be released... if they even know who you are on GAF. Other than that, there's really nothing else to worry about.

Who the fuck are you calling retard?
We did a ban bet than concerns only us, not you, US.

Why do you care what we do with our accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom