• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
stuburns said:
I'm so doubtful it's unbelievable.

It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

And if real these are also cellphone pics of pre-production units. If you're used to reading a lot of the gadget blogs/sites and have seen lots of leaked prototype images before then you know how much an item can change between the types of plastics they use before final. Even Apple hardware looks like ass in this stage.

Machado

Valkyr Junkie said:
And if real these are also cellphone pics of pre-production units. If you're used to reading a lot of the gadget blogs/sites and have seen lots of leaked prototype images before then you know how much an item can change between the types of plastics they use before final. Even Apple hardware looks like ass in this stage.

examples???

Click

Banned
Totobeni said:
prototype PS3 (2005 to GDC 2006 ) also has few vents only on the lower side .

Another reason why I believe this is the prototype model.
Until I see a fully assembled version, that's what I'm gonna believe. Or an assembly line full of these things...

JoJo13

Banned
PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg

This is like, the slickest console I've ever seen if it ends up looking like that. Can't see how anyone would say it's ugly at all.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It looks like dark blue, and dirty.

I want to see the final thing:)

StuBurns

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
So why is it on the box?

If this is a 'prototype/dummy' unit, they wouldn't put it on a box intended for retail.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's the same material used for the PS2/PS2 Slim..

I don't think there's anything 'preproduction' about it. Though I'm sure it looks better when it's all put together than it does in individual pieces..

Click

Banned
stuburns said:
So why is it on the box?

If this is a 'prototype/dummy' unit, they wouldn't put it on a box intended for retail.

I've been saying this many, many times in this thread.
Too many people pay too much attention to the box images.

Those could just be tangible mock-ups to see how the prototype would look on it.
The photos of the box aren't even that good (at least not with the Slim on it).
The box images can also be easily changed. All we're supposedly seeing is an unfolded box with a crappy image of the Slim and "new" PS3 logo on it.

laserbeam said:
Best way to increase installbase just off of half the responses in this thread sony will claim millions of new PS3 owners while they are just repeat buyers.
Well that would explain all the 360 sales. They have twice as many reasons.

StuBurns

Banned
Click said:
I've been saying this many, many times in this thread.
Too many people pay too much attention to the box images.

Those could just be tangible mock-ups to see how the prototype would look on it.
The photos of the box aren't even that good (at least not with the Slim on it).
The box images can also be easily changed. All we're supposedly seeing is an unfolded box with a crappy image of the Slim and "new" PS3 logo on it.
Okay, well we'll see.

I'm calling an elaborate hoax.

Not to say there isn't a slim coming, I just doubt this is it.

Draft

I like the matte plastic.

In that color and shape, it reminds me of the Turbo Grafx 16. Retro styling.

Retro stuff appeals to hipsters, you know.

stuburns said:
So why is it on the box?

The problem with that box is that the image quality is shit. There should clearly be a "PS3" carved into the top plastic that can't be made out at all. With that amount of black crush there's no way to tell what the material is like.

Shins

Banned
Click said:
Again, why do you care so much and why does it even matter to you?
You're not "just trying to understand the excitement over a slimmer console." You're just trolling, trying to get a rise out of people, and trying to shit on this thread.
Look in the mirror you sad little man.

Neil

It looks nice and all, but... it's still pretty big; and it certainly won't be saving the amount of space you got from PS2>PStwo

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think the spiderman font should have stayed:|

H_Prestige said:
Not when they can sell it separately at insane mark up.

But you won't necessarily buy from Sony. I bought mine for like 2$. They might as well include them.

Click

Banned
Shins said:
Look in the mirror you sad little man.

I am so hurt, being called a "sad little man" by a troll.
Please, try harder with your next flame attempt.

Oh, and LOL @ bringing your beef with me from another thread into this one.
So pathetic.

I think if they wanted to get rid of the spider font, they should have tried to make the console flat instead, like the ps2. Then they could use the font they have for ps2 and psp.

ps2_logo.jpg

psp-logo.jpg

But you won't necessarily buy from Sony. I bought mine for like 2$. They might as well include them.

Same here. But I still I have a feeling that a bunch of uninformed customers get duped by best buy sales people into buying the "official" hdmi cables.

androvsky

gofreak said:
It's practically mocking with the lack of vents.

Must be VERY confident about its thermals.

I can't find the link, but the last minor redesign of the PS3 where one of the suppliers was showing off their new and cheaper fan, I remember one of the engineers commenting that a fanless design wasn't too far-fetched once everything hit 45nm. Granted, I think that's assuming a full size system with a monster heatsink, but I think with a small, quiet fan they can accomplish a lot.

jett

D-Member
JoJo13 said:
PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg

This is like, the slickest console I've ever seen if it ends up looking like that. Can't see how anyone would say it's ugly at all.

If only it had the piano black finish of the currrent PS3.

Loudninja

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Okay, at this point I'm completely willing to believe that anybody who says they like the glossy finish on the PS3 is just being an asshole for the sake of it. ':3

Why? it look good on the PS3,also the spiderman font looks better as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Neil said:
It looks nice and all, but... it's still pretty big; and it certainly won't be saving the amount of space you got from PS2>PStwo

In volume terms PS2->PStwo was I think about 77% reduction. A very big reduction.

If some of the estimates quoted earlier in the thread for this are correct, this model of ps3 may be a 50-60% volume reduction compared to the current PS3.

Not as big, but still quite significant.

It should also be smaller than the original PS2...that being the case, on that comparison chart, only the GCN, PStwo and Wii would be smaller..so I don't know if I'd call that big in relative terms.

Click

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Okay, at this point I'm completely willing to believe that anybody who says they like the glossy finish on the PS3 is just being an asshole for the sake of it. ':3

Either that or they don't care about swirl marks, scratches, dust, smudges/fingerprints, and light glare bouncing off of it.

Or maybe they treat it like a brand new car and cover it when not in use, also never moving it around.

gofreak said:
In volume terms PS2->PStwo was I think about 77% reduction. A very big reduction.

If some of the estimates quoted earlier in the thread for this are correct, this model of ps3 may be a 50-60% volume reduction compared to the current PS3.

Not as big, but still quite significant.

It should also be smaller than the original PS2...that being the case, on that comparison chart, only the GCN, PStwo and Wii would be smaller..so I don't know if I'd call that big in relative terms.

Yeah, it's still pretty small all things considered. I don't think this is the final redesign though. I remember reading that Sony would eventually try to combine the Cell and RSX just like the EE and GS so maybe we could get a system about as small as the ps2 slim at that point.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

You think the black Elite has a better finish than PS3? :lol

Cruzader

Banned
Click said:
I am asking why do YOU care so damn much?

People like smaller and lighter gadgets and electronics. Why does it bother and concern you so much? What's your obsession over the "Slim" redesign of the PS3? How is it "no way a selling point?"

And yes, it would be easier to carry around and be more portable. I like bringing my consoles to friends and family's houses and I move back and forth from college and home quite often. For people that travel and move a lot, a smaller, lighter, quieter, more energy-efficient, easier to carry around, less scratch-resistant PS3 would be awesome.

Again, why do you care so much and why does it even matter to you?
You're not "just trying to understand the excitement over a slimmer console." You're just trolling, trying to get a rise out of people, and trying to shit on this thread.

OK, now THIS is getting ridiculous...
Seriously this Karma guz is just stealth trolling. You guys should read the crap he possts in NPD threads.

Machado

ok guys, you need to remember that this is unconfirmed, you don't want to be dissapointed if this isn't true

if they make a slim now, are there any chances of having a slimmerer version 3-4 years down the road?

alr1ghtstart said:
It's not an answer to your question... but I think the elite would look horrible with the finish used on the PS3. Massively tacky.

(It does work on the PS3, but I'm not a great fan of it)

teiresias

JoJo13 said:

I think it will look a tad thicker than this makes it look like, but no biggie. I think what really sells me on the look of this shell is the curve where the drive slot bends out into the overhand on the left of the top shell. That's what really completes the look of the thing and having that simple aesthetic change to the original would have made it look that much better.

Ever since the original console was revealed I always said they were foolish for losing the 'PS3' on the top and going with the PLAYSTATION3 Spider-Man monstrosity. Glad to see they're bringing back that branding, but again sort of 'curving it up a bit'. I do think I'd like it better if the 'PS3' were a bit large and oriented so that it was upright when the console was sitting vertical, but I never actually sit mine vertical so I can't even tell you why I really prefer it that way - just old habit and nostalgia for the PS2 I guess, a console I still love the looks of even though I know most consider it hideous (never have owned a PS2 slim though, would like to just to see it in person though :D ).

Honestly, I'd be willing to give my dad my current 20GB and get one of these because I really only have one or two PS2 games left in my backlog and I always keep around a few PS2 games "just in case" but I rarely actually play them, so the BC is becoming less and less an issue for me.

I'm also ambivalent to the gloss or no-gloss debate.

Loudninja

Psychotext said:
It's not an answer to your question... but I think the elite would look horrible with the finish used on the PS3. Massively tacky.

(It does work on the PS3, but I'm not a great fan of it)

Yeah I agree,I guess its because I am use to how the PS3 looks.

JoJo13

Banned
Sin said:
1. God of War III realtime trailer was in circulation internally before the CG teaser was shown.

2. Solid State Drives were being researched, and still are, as an alternative storage medium for PS3 at Samsung.

3. As I have already stated, release schedules for the Slim PS3 were all over the place, they changed many many times.

Edit. My E3'07 predictions in comparison:

Sony

10 - PSP - Redesign revealed for a September '07 release.
10 - PSP - Official cable for connection with TV is revealed.
10 - PS3 - Pricedrop + 40GB SKU plans revealed, for release in October.
10 - PS3 - Rumble controller is revealed.
10 - PSP - Online Store to begin operation to coincide with new PSP release.

As I said, plans change all the time. I just reveal what I know.

Fair enough, do you get any info regarding firmware updates (potential BC software emulation?)

-Winnie-

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

It does look really damn classy. Only problem is that it gets really dusty...
I'm not a fan of the gravelly looking plastic in these pics. Would be nicer if they used a material which was matte, but smooth

[edit]Come to think of it, it could just be the poor image quality that makes it look gravelly.

Raistlin

JoJo13 said:
PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg

That's literally a slim PS3, other than some minor cosmetics to the drive opening.

So I'm pretty sure the people that find the current PS3 ugly, may find this as well.

The matte complaints seem a little strange here, based on those pictures that were leaked.

For starters, the quality of the plastic in those shots looks more like a basic mould than final casing. Sony, like Apple, spend lots and lots of money developing very nice plastic, and those shots are the total opposite of that.

Valkyr Junkie said:
www.engadget.com
www.gizmodo.com

The leaked photos of all the unibody Macbooks looked like shit.

Um, nice links. Very helpful. :lol

Are you talking about the first genuine leaked shots of the unibody Macbook cases? Because they most certainly didn't look like shit.

There were a few FAKES that looked shitty, (like the glossy plastic top/aluminum body fake) but the first real unibody leak shots were of pretty slick production-quality pieces, albeit sans internals.

Here are the first two sets of shots of what was codenamed "brick" at the time:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/08/brick-macbook-pro-leaked-in-up-close-spy-shot/

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/12/higher-quality-macbook-pro-case-photos/

You must've been thinking about another product.

I don't get the whole matte vs. glossy debate when you're talking about a home console. Yes, glossy leaves fingerprints, but how often do you touch your PS3, seriously?

alr1ghtstart said:

Where the heck did the 360 comparison come from?

I've had a PS3 that has the glossy surface and it sucks ass in terms of fingerprints appearing and gathering dust. Right now my system is the MGS4 PS3 and its finish is quite all right without those headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom