• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Okay, at this point I'm completely willing to believe that anybody who says they like the glossy finish on the PS3 is just being an asshole for the sake of it. ':3

How can you not like the glossy look? It looks great. My PS2 looks like a toy compared to my PS3. :p

jax (old)

Banned
jett said:
How can you not like the glossy look? It looks great. My PS2 looks like a toy compared to my PS3. :p

I honestly don't care if its glossy or not. I look at my pS3 like, never? You don't even have to touch the damn thing as the controller powers it up. It just sits there, I stare at the TV. well, again, I think this is real. I think we'll see this at E3.

jett said:

Yeah. I like the glossy too. And mine still looks like it did the day I bought it.

But the flat will be better for the common people. [adjusts monocle]

Dizzan

MINI Member
Jax said:
I honestly don't care if its glossy or not. I look at my pS3 like, never? You don't even have to touch the damn thing as the controller powers it up. It just sits there, I stare at the TV. well, again, I think this is real. I think we'll see this at E3.

Thank you. Someone with a brain. Who cares what it looks like. it could be hot pink with pictures of miley cyrus on it and I'd still buy it. I don't put my consoles on display like art. Their purpose is to play games not look good.

The only aesthetic changes I agree with are making it smaller so it is easier to conceal.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Dizzan said:
Thank you. Someone with a brain. Who cares what it looks like. it could be hot pink with pictures of miley cyrus on it and I'd still buy it. I don't put my consoles on display like art. Their purpose is to play games not look good.

The only aesthetic changes I agree with are making it smaller so it is easier to conceal.

I.... woundn't buy a PS3 that is hot pink with a miley cyrus picture on it. Nope. Never.

HUELEN10

bobbytkc said:
I.... woundn't buy a PS3 that is hot pink with a miley cyrus picture on it. Nope. Never.
What if it was 399 USD cheaper than a regular one?

You could just buy a skin for 20 USD.

Click

Banned
Dizzan said:

People who don't throw their console(s) inside a cabinet / entertainment center / TV stand and forget about them, care.
A lot of people have their console(s) sitting right next to their TVs, so the design/aesthetic matter a lot.

The weird ones are people like you who don't care what their gadgets and electronics look like.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Click said:
People who don't throw their console(s) inside a cabinet / entertainment center / TV stand and forget about them, care. A lot of people have their console(s) sitting right next to their TVs, so the design/aesthetic matter a lot.

The weird ones are people like you who don't care what their gadgets and electronics look like.

Why would you put them right next to your tv and not in a cabinet? They are designed to serve a purpose not look great. Put your Monet pictures on display, or photos of your family.

Yes. I'm the weird one.

Click

Banned
Dizzan said:
Why would you put them right next to your tv and not in a cabinet? They are designed to serve a purpose not look great. Put your Monet pictures on display, or photos of your family.

Yes. I'm the weird one.

Because the ventilation is shit inside a cabinet or whatever enclosed space people throw their console(s) in? And again, because people actually like looking at their machines and gadgets, unlike you?

Rolf NB

Dizzan said:
Thank you. Someone with a brain. Who cares what it looks like. it could be hot pink with pictures of miley cyrus on it and I'd still buy it.
Somewhere in an office, a Sony exec wonders right now: "How far am I willing to go just to grief that Dizzan?"

Dizzan

MINI Member
Click said:
Because the ventilation is shit inside a cabinet or whatever enclosed space people throw their console(s) in? And again, because people actually like looking at their machines and gadgets, unlike you?

Why would you like to look at a console? Seriously, I'd like to know what pleasure you derive from staring at a machine that doesn't move or perform any function other than to output an image, music, video or game?

And my consoles have always been inside cabinets and I have never had one that has overheated. There is this wonderful invention called a door. You can open and close them. You should try them. Id rather they put PS3 guts inside a square box and spend more money on more important things.

I'm starting to think that you might want the slot opening a little bigger so you can make sweet love to your triple

bcn-ron said:
Somewhere in an office, a Sony exec wonders right now: "How far am I willing to go just to grief that Dizzan?"

:lol Scary thing is, some people would probably buy it for that reason.

jax (old)

Banned
talking about pink and miley are a bit extreme but Dizzan is right on this. Who cares what the finish is.

The only thing the consumer should care about really - for the PS3/SONY anyhow, is any potential price break the redesign will give the console. $50 cheaper, $100 cheaper..etc all good.

I don't think the finish matters. The x360 is a white lump that sits on my entertainment cabinet and I never even thought twice about it. Hell, the gamecube is purple and platinum silver (I got 2).

I can't wait for the official reveal.

Cruzader

Banned
_leech_ said:
I don't get the whole matte vs. glossy debate when you're talking about a home console. Yes, glossy leaves fingerprints, but how often do you touch your PS3, seriously?

Hmm well what happens when you clean your glossy PS3? After 1 week or so and the thing is full of dust so you have to dust it off very often. Mine is on top on my desk next to my monitor.

"hey look, time to dust off my PS3 with microfiber cloth"
*wipes carefully*
"Hey WTF! Where did these tiny scratches come from?, fuck!."

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Jax said:
talking about pink and miley are a bit extreme but Dizzan is right on this. Who cares what the finish is.

The only thing the consumer should care about really - for the PS3/SONY anyhow, is any potential price break the redesign will give the console. $50 cheaper, $100 cheaper..etc all good.

I don't think the finish matters. The x360 is a white lump that sits on my entertainment cabinet and I never even thought twice about it. Hell, the gamecube is purple and platinum silver (I got 2).

I can't wait for the official reveal.

Yes, a new smaller design is good and all. But the key factor is still the price point. The PS3 got the games, the graphics, the connectivity, the multimedia functions. Its got practically everything it needs to be successful, except a price point that is profitable to the company, and attractive to the masses.

Dizzan

MINI Member
bobbytkc said:
Yes, a new smaller design is good and all. But the key factor is still the price point. The PS3 got the games, the graphics, the connectivity, the multimedia functions. Its got practically everything it needs to be successful, except a price point that is profitable to the company, and attractive to the masses.

You sir, are correct.

Click

Banned
Dizzan said:
Why would you like to look at a console? Seriously, I'd like to know what pleasure you derive from staring at a machine that doesn't move or perform any function other than to output an image, music, video or game?

And my consoles have always been inside cabinets and I have never had one that has overheated. There is this wonderful invention called a door. You can open and close them. You should try them. Id rather they put PS3 guts inside a square box and spend more money on more important things.

I'm starting to think that you might want the slot opening a little bigger so you can make sweet love to your triple

Good one. Someone talking about making love to gaming consoles, not minding if their system is hot pink with Miley Cyrus pictures on it, and not minding if the PS3's guts are put into a square box (Gamecube? LOL) is obviously NOT the weird one... right, whatever.

I can't believe there are retards actually posting this nonsense. Man, trolls of all types sure are coming out of the woodworks, with all these Sony/PS3-related news lately.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Click said:
Good one. Someone talking about making love to gaming consoles, not minding if their system is hot pink with Miley Cyrus pictures on it, and not minding if the PS3's guts are put into a square box (Gamecube? LOL) is obviously NOT the weird one... right, whatever.

I can't believe there are retards actually posting this nonsense. Man, trolls of all types sure are coming out of the woodworks, with all these Sony/PS3-related news lately.

Troll? :lol :lol Don't throw that word around. Check my post history and get back to me.

Lets agree to disagree. Design is irrelevant to me and it means the world to you.

bort

someone say miley cyrus and pink
miley-cyrus-banana-boat-06.jpg

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Dizzan said:

*Makes note of Dizzan's dumbass posts about how i have no brain*

Brofist

Why are people that couldn't give a shit about the PS3's aesthetics even in this topic, this whole topic is about what it may look like. If you don't give a shit and never look at your PS3, then be happy with your PS3 fatty edition and don't worry about this topic. I suppose the other important factor may be lower price, but if you are a current PS3 owner, that really shouldn't affect you anyway..

Personally I'm not hung up on the looks of a console, but there is some importance. If you have regular guests over, and I mean the kind that making a halfway decent impression is important, you don't want some tacky Fisher Price looking shit in your living room.

Raistlin

TTP said:
Hope the AC stays inside the system.

If an external makes for even quieter operation versus just the reduction to 45nm, fuck it ... I can live with external.

Either way though, there's a good chance I'll be getting one or two in lieu of dedicated BD players.

Raistlin

Karma said:
I understand the advantages for Sony. I am talking about why a consumer would care.

Easier to carry around? More portable? That makes no sense for a console. Saves shelf space? Really? No way that is a selling point. Just trying to understand the excitement over a slimmer console.

Less electricity, less noise, and costs less. Those seem pretty compelling to me.

Not to mention the fact, redesigns tend to get people to buy for various psychological reasons.

Click

Banned
kpop100 said:
Why are people that couldn't give a shit about the PS3's aesthetics even in this topic, this whole topic is about what it may look like. If you don't give a shit and never look at your PS3, then be happy with your PS3 fatty edition and don't worry about this topic. I suppose the other important factor may be lower price, but if you are a current PS3 owner, that really shouldn't affect you anyway..

Personally I'm not hung up on the looks of a console, but there is some importance. If you have regular guests over, and I mean the kind that making a halfway decent impression is important, you don't want some tacky Fisher Price looking shit in your living room.

Because they're trolling. Oh noes! I "threw" that word around again!

People have been trolling overtime recently, in this thread, in the various inFamous-related threads, the Uncharted threads, etc. The anti-PS3 crowd has been getting hot and bothered with all the recent influx of PS3-related news and PS3 exclusive games/threads.

Not even sure why either, since PS3 sales suck and it's been in "last place" forever. So there shouldn't be anything anti-PS3 fanboys should be worried about... right?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Onix said:
Less electricity, less noise, and costs less. Those seem pretty compelling to me.

Not to mention the fact, redesigns tend to get people to buy for various psychological reasons.

Yea, a redesign is a great idea from a marketing perspective. It is essentially a product relaunch with a cool new look. Brings about exposure and excitement for the product.

Not to mention that a smaller console means smaller chipset and motherboards and larger yield from a semiconductor wafer, which means greater cost reductions. And cheaper PS3 for gamers everwhere.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Click said:
Because they're trolling. Oh noes! I "threw" that word around again!

People have been trolling overtime recently, in this thread, in the various inFamous-related threads, the Uncharted threads, etc. The anti-PS3 crowd has been getting hot and bothered with all the recent influx of PS3-related news and PS3 exclusive games/threads.

Not even sure why either, since PS3 sales suck and it's been in "last place" forever, so there shouldn't be anything anti-PS3 fanboys should be worried about... right?

I can't believe you are calling me out as anti PS3. WTF :lol

You're pretty sensitive hey? Want a hug?

I'm in this topic because I am interested in all things PS3 related. If they can lower the price and make it smaller then I want another one for my bedroom. I don't even know why I am justifying my being in this thread but you guys are insane.

Click

Banned
Dizzan said:
I can't believe you are calling me out as anti PS3. WTF :lol

You're pretty sensitive hey? Want a hug?

I'm in this topic because I am interested in all things PS3 related. If they can lower the price and make it smaller then I want another one for my bedroom. I don't even know why I am justifying my being in this thread but you guys are insane.

I never called you anti-PS3. But if you want to assume and pretend that I did, go right ahead.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Onix said:
?? Unless I'm looking at this wrong, the HDD slot is next to the BD (slot loader is above the USB ports). What do you mean?
USB are on left, BR drive in on right where the image is labeled HDD

Raistlin

Hazaro said:
USB are on left, BR drive in on right where the image is labeled HDD

I believe you are wrong. Look below the USB slots (in the pic, it's above ... since the pic has the case upside down).

That horizontal slot is the BD opening. Think about it, the case is upside down, so the BD slot is on the left.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Onix said:
I believe you are wrong. Look below the USB slots (in the pic, it's above ... since the pic has the case upside down).

That horizontal slot is the BD opening. Think about it, the case is upside down, so the BD slot is on the left.
Oh, ok I see that.

Sounds better than have the drive and HDD stacked.

iceatcs

If real, I'm wondering how it has been leak? And why a person risk taking a photo and the factory work (White gloves guy) seen allow it?

Raistlin

Hazaro said:
Oh, ok I see that.

Sounds better than have the drive and HDD stacked.

Beyond heat and vibration issues, it just doesn't make logistical sense. They are trying to make the console slimmer. Have a MoBo and two drives stacked on top of each other seems quite counter-intuitive.

Rapping Granny said:
HOLY SHIT, I need a second dick to afford that.

Yeah, weren't people supposedly calling her fat or something recently? lol. She's got a pretty nice body actually.

iceatcs

Onix said:
Beyond heat and vibration issues, it just doesn't make logistical sense. They are trying to make the console slimmer. Have a MoBo and two drives stacked on top of each other seems quite counter-intuitive.
Well computer tower can do it, why PS3 can't do that?

What I'm seeing it look like HDD will be below the MoBo then blu-ray drive above MoBo.
Like a massive ham and 2 small bread loaf in sandwich.

Raistlin

iceatcs said:
Well computer tower can do it, why PS3 can't do that?

Because a computer tower is designed to be vertical, with a width at least as wide as a drivebay.

They are trying to make this smaller, not bigger :lol

What I'm seeing it look like HDD will be below the MoBo then blu-ray drive above MoBo.
Like a massive ham and 2 small bread loaf in sandwich.

I think you are all blind.

You can see the slot for the BD discs on the left part of the picture ... and the HDD is on the right.

hirokazu

Click said:
Yup. These are my only complaints with the design of the current PS3.

The "piano," shiny black material is too easily scratched, get smudged, and attracts dust like crazy. It looks great if it's been pampered and constantly cleaned, but most gamers don't treat their consoles like it's a $40,000+ luxury/sports car.

My launch PS3 also runs really loud and hot if playing graphically/processor intensive games. There's probably tons of dust inside but I'm afraid to use compressed air to blow that shit out, since it might clog up other components inside or even screw with the Blu-ray laser.
I don't know, I just give it a weekly wipe with a very soft cloth and I've not no scratches. I have it down horizontal, but the shiny looks amazing when the system is vertical.

Apart from two scratches on the top and one one the chrome trim - those happened when the system fell down the freaking escalators at Narita Airport. >_> Not really noticeable though.

That said, the fan does spin up sooner and faster than when I first got it, and there is dust around the air vents, where it's hard to reach.

iceatcs

Onix said:
You can see the slot for the BD discs on the left part of the picture ... and the HDD is on the right.
PS3_Slim_1.jpg

It look on the right, unless your monitor is on mirrored.

I think you got confuse with black line above the USB. I don't think it is slot hole but just shadow.

The aesthetics of a console do matter to consumers, whether it should or shouldn't. Not everyone is as utilitarian as gamers.

That said, I do hope they announce this soon. It looks nice, but I hope they keep the piano black finish; I think it looks classy on the PS3.

I've been in the market for a PS3 for a while, and the time soon approaches where I'll be purchasing one. I just hope I don't get a fatty and the slim comes out.

iceatcs

Onix said:
>_<

The guy is holding the case upside down, look at it ...

Well if it is an internal case frame and the top case shell can be removable for replacement HDD, I would agreeing with you but it look like a bottom of case.

Raistlin

iceatcs said:
Well if it is an internal case frame and the top case shell can be removable for replacement HDD, I would agreeing with you but it look like a bottom of case.

Okay ... no I'm confused :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom