• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

Doctor_No said:
So I've had a little time to read the patent, and while this is not my area of technical expertise, I'll try to at least clear up some of the language you presented from the part you quoted (which is from the PDF).

The PPU(PPE1150) is loaded with an emulation OS. The SPE of the cell are numbered SPE1110A-SPE1110H within this patent. There are 8-cores, 6 of them that seem to be in direct use, and 1 which is reserved for the OS(SPE1110G), 1-core is unusable.

Each SPE is designated an emulator "task". The "Graphics Synthesizer" GS200 is designated to SPE1110E and works in conjunction with the RSX. SPE1110E only does graphics unique to the PS2, non-PS2 graphics calculations are passed to SPE1110G via the emulators graphics controller (not shown within this patent). Being that SPPE1110G is likely the SPE designated to the OS, the non-PS2 graphics is likely referring to the XMB.

Again, I'm not the best person to cover technical information, but the language of the patent seems to suggest that SPE is emulating the GS200 portion of the GS; any machinations beyond that is not explained (possibly another patent). Nor does the patent discuss how the SPE works with the RSX. But overall the language is consistent with Gigazine's story.

Diagram of SPEs being referenced to:
ps2_on_ps304_m.png

!!!!!!

sounds legit to me. you can see in the picture 1110E connected to the RSX, which would make no sense if this was just an EE emulation scheme.

gamescom or tgs?!

panda21 said:
gamescom or tgs?!

Well, If I were Sony I would want this shipped in the FW that comes with the Slim. Given that FW 3.00 will be launching in the last 1/4 of the year, I think its more than likely a TGS announcement, if it does happen at all.

If they do put PS2 emulation into the Playstation 3 once again, it would be awesome. Then, they can add so many hard to find new games like Ico to the Playstation Store. I just wonder if they are going to let PS2 discs be read, or just PS2 games from the Playstation Store. It'll be cool if they do both.

I figured they'd have big features in-store for update 3.0. PS2 BC never crossed my mind, but it would be one hell of a feature. :D

If this happens (I'm not getting my hopes up yet), and the BC is decent, I won't be so worried about my 60gb going.

jsnepo

I hope that if PS2 backward compatibility is indeed coming back through software emulation, the compatibility rate will be high.

jsnepo said:
I hope that if PS2 backward compatibility is indeed coming back through software emulation, the compatibility rate will be high.

Common sense says that they wouldn't enable a new functionality that couldn't work properly with most titles. If it isn't above 90% and most titles don't run nearly flawlessly, chances are they won't do it. And they are probably taking so long because they're ensuring it works that well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jsnepo said:

>_<

full hardware BC like Wii is 100% of GC games, Full BC hardware in PS3 EE+GS and half soft Cell+GS gave PS3 the ability to support more than 95% of PS2 games .

but full software as seen on xbox360 , uh well very few games works , some even with serious problems , full software emulator advantage are better graphics / framerate for the few game that work .

and Microsoft software guys > Sony's , so I don't think PS3 software emulator will be better than EE/CELL+GS .

jsnepo

Philanthropist said:
Common sense says that they wouldn't enable a new functionality that couldn't work properly with most titles. If it isn't above 90% and most titles don't run nearly flawlessly, chances are they won't do it. And they are probably taking so long because they're ensuring it works that well.

I hope you're right. I've heard bad things about PS2 backward compatibility that is found in the old 80GB PS3 models like Star Ocean 3 being unplayable and some missing textures in Persona 3.

I guess http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus will be very useful once this news comes to fruition.

Totobeni said:
and Microsoft software guys > Sony's , so I don't think PS3 software emulator will be better than EE/CELL+GS .

Isn't PSone games software emulated starting with the slim PS2s? I'm pretty sure the Sony guys will be up to the task. I just hope they get it there fast.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
When this turns out to be only available via PSN, a whole new bunch of whiners will come in and say "waiting for disc BC"

-viper-

Banned
Just port the best PS2 games to the PS3 and release on PSN if you can't get 100% emulation on the PS3. Sorted.

i.e.
GT3
MGS2
MGS3
GOW1
GOW2
SOTC
ICO
DMC3
GTA San Andreas

I won't be surprised if we don't see PS2-BC coming back until the PS4 (or in the later life of the PS3). When it does, it will be a full software emulation like with the ps1 in the ps3 now and PS3 emulation via hardware (but not in the meaning of additional chips like it was done with PS2 and back then with PS1 but by using a hardware architecture in the PS4 similar to the ps3 - a new Cell).

Though I wonder how much it is worth to some people, if you reeeeeeaaaally need it as main feature of your PS3, you had quite some time to get a BC-PS3 for 100$/€ more then the current price.

-viper- said:
Just port the best PS2 games to the PS3 and release on PSN if you can't get 100% emulation on the PS3. Sorted.

ps2 greatest hits on us psn store.
ps2 platinum on eu store.
ps2 the best on the jap store.

best selling games sell more again:D

jsnepo

Danthrax said:
...for like the 20th time in this thread.

but man, it would be nice if there's PS2 BC in the PS3slim.

It would be nicer if PS2 BC is included in firmware 3.0 that will be pre-installed in the slim PS3.

Shambles

alr1ghtstart said:
When this turns out to be only available via PSN, a whole new bunch of whiners will come in and say "waiting for disc BC"

And a whole lot of people on this forum have entire shelving units full of PS2 titles. What the hell do you think they are going to say? "Oh golly I can't wait to rebuy the 500$+ in video games I already own!"

jiggle

based on that
is it gonna be hardware based?

not that it affects ms since i have BC 60b, but i know a few ppl that'd want to it for their BCless machines.

jsnepo

jiggle said:
based on that
is it gonna be hardware based?

not that it affects ms since i have BC 60b, but i know a few ppl that'd want to it for their BCless machines.

Software probably through a firmware update.

If they include BC somehow and the slim is quieter (I have the 80GB MGS4 bundle; after a few minutes, the fans rev up and it's louder than my jasper 360), I'd definitely double dip for it. Do it, Sony!

Didn't the indian store guy already tested it and it could not play PS2 games? (though we don't know if it was the matching region because of region locked games, if the story is true at all of course)

SolidusDave said:
Didn't the indian store guy already tested it and it could not play PS2 games? (though we don't know if it was the matching region because of region locked games, if the story is true at all of course)

Why do you assume it would have PS2 BC if it would be a firmware update feature? Of course it wouldn't play PS2 games. It would have been deemed fake if it could :D

Machado said:
I *could* be ok with it if they:

1.-released god of war series (yes, even the psp one), Shadow of the colossus, ico, Need for speed most wanted and some good rpgs

2.- the released those games at 19.99 or less

3.-they allowed me to download that emulator for free

They absolutely can't charge for the emulator.... unless its about 10-20 dollars, and if they do charge for the emulator it'd have to really upgrade the graphics of the games. I have to find the forum but there was some screen shots posted of Final Fantasy X running on a PC emulator w/ enhanced graphics... it was BEAUTIFUL. A free emulator need only run the game, but a priced emulator needs to make PS2 games look better than the original.

Philanthropist said:
Why do you assume it would have PS2 BC if it would be a firmware update feature? Of course it wouldn't play PS2 games. It would have been deemed fake if it could :D

because it already has 3.00 installed :eek: :eek: :eek: jk
As the software solutions seems to be old patents (and maybe not GPU related), I just wanted to say that it probably won't be coming back via hardware either anytime soon (and not in the slim as a new feature) or more likely never till the PS4 (Sony said not many used it much, why invest to get it working on PS3 again, probably a lot harder too than emulating it with more horsepower on the PS4)

btw: do we really should expect something big from 3.00? Think of 2.00 for PS3 or 5.00 for PSP.

How long did it take to get to PS1 software-emulation? I was under the impression the PS3 did that for the first time.

selected PS2-Downloads are maybe a bit more realistic (for the near future), but I bet you won't be able to play the disc-counterparts of the DL-games.
oh, are there any Spec-Ops PS2-Games? :lol

dallow_bg said:
Amazon has lowered the price by $40.

Argghhh... I have the Amazon trade in credit from the console deal they were running a while back, it expires on 8/31 and I don't know whether to jump on this or wait and hope for a slim/price drop later this month.

SamBishop

Banned
mikekennyb said:
Argghhh... I have the Amazon trade in credit from the console deal they were running a while back, it expires on 8/31 and I don't know whether to jump on this or wait and hope for a slim/price drop later this month.

WAIT.

Xeke

Banned
I never seen a thread on GAF where something is supposed to happen every day but never does but people still eat it up...:lol

She gets real every day in here, based on zero facts of course.

Loudninja

Doesn't mean its coming this month guys but it will be announced.

Xeke said:
I never seen a thread on GAF where something is supposed to happen every day but never does but people still eat it up...:lol

She gets real every day in here, based on zero facts of course.

You dont know what you are talking about.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

yeah, basically they can make a ton of money by NOT giving people the emulator.
It's slightly evil but sod it, they should do it.

Tailor the emulator to each rom and put them up for download only, people are already use to the idea that they can't play their games by just sticking the disk in the drive so make some cash out of download only Ps2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom