• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egmont

Neo Member
plasmasd said:
Do you think the top and the bottom will both be curved? I took a guess and said yes and make a really crappy 3D model and twirled it around. We know for sure where the NIC, power and serial number will be. I guessed based on the fat model where the AV, HDMI and optical port would be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s1-6BElaZU

The bottom won't be round like that, I don't think. Check the original manufacturing leaks from May, it has a pic of what I think is the bottom.

Lookin' good though. :D

you should put a PS3 fat model in there for comparison, too

edit--
this one:

ps3-slim-leaked-shots-004.jpg

So I guess just put a small rectangle underneath the pic you have now.

plasmasd

Thanks, I see now. Looks like they can fit more in while maintaining the curved appearance. It would be stupid to have the PS3 logo on both sides though.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
panda21 said:
!!!!!!

sounds legit to me. you can see in the picture 1110E connected to the RSX, which would make no sense if this was just an EE emulation scheme.

gamescom or tgs?!
I wonder how the firmware would work on a 60gig, what would have priority, the software or the hardware? I'm curious because my 60gig's ps2 hardware seems to eb dying as the games flicker often.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Galvanise_ said:
That sometimes happens to my version of FFXII, but when I reset it, things are fine. Mental stuff.
Really? I hope so, it had me scared. Ibooted up drakengard and both persona 3 and 4, they all flickered. haven't tried a ps2 game since. i'll test them again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Pandaman said:
Really? I hope so, it had me scared. Ibooted up drakengard and both persona 3 and 4, they all flickered. haven't tried a ps2 game since. i'll test them again.

Are you on HDMI? It's a normal thing.

SamBishop

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
Agreed. Staggeringly brilliant album. But only on import.

Running Down the Way Up > Satellite is hands-down one of the best transitions ever. No joke, I've listened to this album way, way over 1000 times. It is without a doubt the best album I've ever heard. And yes, the US release is utter garbage. Love on Haight Street is pretty nice, though...

JoJo13

Banned
Doctor_No said:
So I've had a little time to read the patent, and while this is not my area of technical expertise, I'll try to at least clear up some of the language you presented from the part you quoted (which is from the PDF).

The PPU(PPE1150) is loaded with an emulation OS. The SPE of the cell are numbered SPE1110A-SPE1110H within this patent. There are 8-cores, 6 of them that seem to be in direct use, and 1 which is reserved for the OS(SPE1110G), 1-core is unusable.

Each SPE is designated an emulator "task". The "Graphics Synthesizer" GS200 is designated to SPE1110E and works in conjunction with the RSX. SPE1110E only does graphics unique to the PS2, non-PS2 graphics calculations are passed to SPE1110G via the emulators graphics controller (not shown within this patent). Being that SPPE1110G is likely the SPE designated to the OS, the non-PS2 graphics is likely referring to the XMB.

Again, I'm not the best person to cover technical information, but the language of the patent seems to suggest that SPE is emulating the GS200 portion of the GS; any machinations beyond that is not explained (possibly another patent). Nor does the patent discuss how the SPE works with the RSX. But overall the language is consistent with Gigazine's story.

Diagram of SPEs being referenced to:
ps2_on_ps304_m.png

The big takeaway from this patent is that GS emulation is being worked on in tandem with the RSX and an SPE.

This news is pretty huge because it is the first confirmation we've had of the GS being emulated at all.

The fact that it's from 2007 isn't really relevant. If Sony were to be working on an emulator, they've been working on it at least since 2007 and probably even before.

dates back to when they took it out in the first place. why pay more to keep making PS3s with PS2 chips/imperfect emulation when you know you'll have a firmware update coming (sooner or later)?

JoJo13

Banned
Guy LeDouche said:
dates back to when they took it out in the first place. why pay more to keep making PS3s with PS2 chips/imperfect emulation when you know you'll have a firmware update coming (sooner or later)?

my theory is that Sony had originally planned for the PS3 to have hardware BC until the emulator was fleshed out enough to release.

However, this plan assumed that PS3 sales would have remained strong at 499-599 price points. This did not happen, so Sony had to resort to rather drastic measures in order to get a new SKU on the marketplace that would lower the cost enough to not have the shareholders up in arms with the already ridiculous losses the system was incurring. So, as a result, Sony was forced to prematurely get rid of PS2 BC so that they could lower the console's price, but they always had the intention of bringing it back at the right time.

We got a batch of $349 and $299 (large) stickers in a shipment today. Last time we got those, it was before the 360 price dropped but it was almost a month in advance. Don't get too excited, just mentioning it. They usually ship them out to all the stores regardless of how many stickers they already have in the store.

Gamestop btw.

Deadly Monk said:
We got a batch of $349 and $299 (large) stickers in a shipment today. Last time we got those, it was before the 360 price dropped but it was almost a month in advance. Don't get too excited, just mentioning it. They usually ship them out to all the stores regardless of how many stickers they already have in the store.

Gamestop btw.
OMG! :D

JoJo13 said:
my theory is that Sony had originally planned for the PS3 to have hardware BC until the emulator was fleshed out enough to release.

However, this plan assumed that PS3 sales would have remained strong at 499-599 price points. This did not happen, so Sony had to resort to rather drastic measures in order to get a new SKU on the marketplace that would lower the cost enough to not have the shareholders up in arms with the already ridiculous losses the system was incurring. So, as a result, Sony was forced to prematurely get rid of PS2 BC so that they could lower the console's price, but they always had the intention of bringing it back at the right time.

I remember reading an interview with Kutaragi where he blatantly said the same exact thing, that the ps2 chips wouldn't be in ps3's for long and that they were planning full software eventually.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Deadly Monk said:

Gamestop btw.

Hmm. 80GB to $299 and Uncharted bundle to $349? ;o

Shadowlink said:

Ask Kagari, it could mean something, it could mean nothing. Once we got a random pile of them for $199 and we had no clue why. A month later, the 360 Arcade was announced.

Only way these could be for the PS3 is if Sony has already talked to distributors. Wouldn't we have known more about it by now if they had (leaks)?

Deadly Monk said:

Gamestop btw.

O_O

Sony is really bad @ hiding this or pretending to hide it...

Egmont

Neo Member
demosthenes said:
O_O

Sony is really bad @ hiding this or pretending to hide it...

Considering the potential proximity to the release, I'd say the fact that we have no absolutely hard evidence is pretty remarkable.

On the other hand, all these "leaks" aren't necessarily working to Sony's detriment. They're a part of the hype surrounding the system that, because of the leaks, is enormous. Hype and speculation keep products in the consumer's mind.

I mean, this thread alone is like 90 pages of pure advertising for Sony. :lol

Meanwhile, the layman remains unaware, and PS3 fats are still being sold. I'm not saying that it's all a huge viral marketing conspiracy, as I'm sure they could have sold a lot more fats without the leaks, but neither is it exactly a terrible thing.

JoJo13

Banned
H_Prestige said:
I remember reading an interview with Kutaragi where he blatantly said the same exact thing, that the ps2 chips wouldn't be in ps3's for long and that they were planning full software eventually.

I wish you still had a link to that interview. I vaguely remember the same thing, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Deadly Monk said:

Gamestop btw.

Hmm...interesting.

PS3 Phat - 299

PS3 Slim - 350

Do you know what those stickers are for yet?

I just don't know what the $350 model would include.

JoJo13 said:
I wish you still had a link to that interview. I vaguely remember the same thing, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Hmm...interesting.

PS3 Phat - 299

PS3 Slim - 350

If I knew, a lot of other people would know as well. We have to wait and see.

Kagari said:
Pretty sure, at least according to the ars mole, the Pro will go away and the Elite will take its place, probably at $299.

Only reason I would assume these stickers are for the PS3 and not the 360 is because the Pro isn't supposed to be discontinued until late Fall/Early Winter.

sturmdogg

80GB PLAYSTATION 3 To Be Discontinued In Japan

http://kotaku.com/5329352/80gb-playstation-3-to-be-discontinued-in-japan

The 20GB, 40GB and 60GB versions of the PS3 have been discontinued. According to this, it looks like the 80GB PLAYSTATION 3 is next.

This notice is apparently from retailer 7-Eleven (7-Eleven sells video games in Japan) and stats that pre-orders for the Black, White and Silver 80GB PS3 will cease on Sunday, August 9 at 10am.

The reason listed for this is "For the manufacturer".

The notice also notes that all in-store displays for the 80GB model are to be taken down. If this is true, then Japan would be left with only the 160GB PLAYSTATION... Or perhaps there is an upgrade in store...

Hmmm...does this mean 160GB will be down to $350?

edit: beaten

Sony should throw in one of those headsets (the one that came with socom) in every PS3 Slim. Then they could charge $299 and say your really only paying $250 because of the "added value" of the headset.

Rhindle

Deadly Monk said:
Only reason I would assume these stickers are for the PS3 and not the 360 is because the Pro isn't supposed to be discontinued until late Fall/Early Winter.
We've seen the boxarts for the new packs; it's pretty much a certainty that the Pro is going away. Obviously existing stock could continue to sell into the fall/winter.

I'd also say its a safe bet that the new Elite pack will retail for $299, at least initially.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Sony should throw in one of those headsets (the one that came with socom) in every PS3 Slim. Then they could charge $299 and say your really only paying $250 because of the "added value" of the headset.
That would be a smart move.

inner-G

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Do people getting systems in Japan for FF XIII and GT5 really want headsets though?

____

Kagari said:
I think it's quite obvious that a new SKU is incoming.
Pretty sure the only 160GB units Japan got were the Cloud FFVII ones.

Oh :lol
I thought you were 'lol'ing because of it coming by way of Kotaku

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Sony should throw in one of those headsets (the one that came with socom) in every PS3 Slim.
And every PS3 sold period.

I've discussed this with a friend who doesn't have a PS3 yet, and have concluded this this is pretty much essential. The headset needs to be bundled. End of story.

And why not throw in an HDMI cable, whydon'tcha?

JoJo13

Banned
Headset won't be bundled, and it's not a big deal.

You're getting free online. If you want to use a headset, buy a headset. If the price drops to $299, they're not going to eat the cost of a headset as well.

mr_nothin

Banned
JoJo13 said:

Hmm...interesting.

PS3 Phat - 299

PS3 Slim - 350

IDK....
I think people would still just buy the slim if it was only $50 more than the fat. Especially if they included more features and "stuff". Plus Sony would lose more on the Fat than the slim.

My guess is the slim going to $299 and the Phat getting a bundle pack to get rid of the residue.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Just thought I would put this here, but here in Australia stores have been finding it impossible to get stock of PS3's like Sony is holding them back make room for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom