• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The PSP here in Aus is currently is currently where the GameCube games used to be :lol PS3 frontage is reasonable. But that's getting even more off topic.

I think I'll just upgrade my HDD rather then get a slim, I kinda like the big black monolith design.

BenjaminG

Banned
VOOK said:
Yeah and we lost the bloody PS2 backwards compatibility. If I had known that I would have of spent the $1000 instead of $600 on a gimped PS3.

Many customers would too. Ebay prices still command upwards of $1300 AUD.

Kagari said:
Maybe SCE paid them. At least that's what I heard Nintendo did with retailers, at least here in the US.

This isn't common knowledge? They very much do. Happens in almost every chain store, every aisle display or standee is paid for.

pseudocaesar said:
Haha I'm also from Tasmania.

Woo. TasGaf!

G_Berry

Banned
VOOK said:
The PSP here in Aus is currently is currently where the GameCube games used to be :lol PS3 frontage is reasonable. But that's getting even more off topic.

I think I'll just upgrade my HDD rather then get a slim, I kinda like the big black monolith design.

Me too! It's quite a sexy beast.

onken

lupinko said:
IIRC the only 160GB PS3 sku in Japan should be the FFVIIACC BD movie/FFXIII demo bundle.

Everything else has been 80GB, 60GB, 40GB, and 20GB skus.

And Japan is the only market to never see the 80GB sku with GS semiconductors (i.e. PS2 BC).

Yeah it went from 60GB/20GB -> 60GB -> 80GB

Going from full bc to none overnight, that's gotta hurt. What I don't understand is why go to all the expense of making the 40GB SKU and researching PS2 emulation when they could have just continued the part emulation/part hardware model of the 80GB? The GS chip must be pennies by now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
onken said:
The GS chip must be pennies by now.

I sort of doubt that...and it wasn't just the GS chip, but all the plumbing required to make it a part of the system. I'm guessing taking it out let them remove other stuff and reduce the size/cost of the mobo too.

I'm sure it was not a decision taken lightly, the savings must have been there.

jsnepo

If PS2 software emulation comes back, I hope they enable in-game XMB during PS2 playback and hopefully it won't disconnect me from PSN. It'll be a megaton for me if they actually made the browser accessible in-game like in-game XMB.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
I sort of doubt that...and it wasn't just the GS chip, but all the plumbing required to make it a part of the system. I'm guessing taking it out let them remove other stuff and reduce the size/cost of the mobo too.

Of course. The GS is not a commodity like RAM or whatever. In order to keep farming it, you need to have the manufacturing process going just for that piece of hardware.

carlosp

Banned
jsnepo said:
If PS2 software emulation comes back, I hope they enable in-game XMB during PS2 playback and hopefully it won't disconnect me from PSN. It'll be a megaton for me if they actually made the browser accessible in-game like in-game XMB.

wont happen since the need to load up the PS2 bios to run PS2 software. They must load the other OS which does not contain any of the PS3 OS features. Some with PS1 games. Sorry.

Kinan

gofreak said:

Aye, mainboard changes between 60GB and 40GB models are huge.

launch unit:

2wqtmqa.jpg

40Gb one:

10f6vqd.jpg

LOL

This thread SO delivers... reading through its really funny seeing the ration of "FAKE!" gradually diminish...

Seriously... can anyone be in doubt that a 'reveal' is inbound very shortly?

Also... WTF has happened at sony? they used to be pretty water tight - can't afford to pay the ninjas anymore?

jsnepo said:

In-game browser I believe is coming. They appear to be toying with it on certain games (Burnout Paradise is just a browser Overlay on the game, and during Xi in Home it brought up some browser pages as well). I imagine its just a case of getting the memory footprint low enough, toughening the browser up to stop memory leaks and crashing, and checking it works with all previous games. I think that was part of the delay with in-game XMB, the checking.

jsnepo

Being able to check GAF while playing a game using only the PS3 is going to be awesome. If the browser supports Meebo then I'll be really satisfied.

carlosp

Banned
ichinisan said:
They just need to stop it crashing every 10 minutes. Maybe turning off Javascript is the key. GAF on 1080p for the VICTORY!

maybe they drop the current brower off and start using chrome :D seems to use very little memory if you only allow one tab:D

onken

carlosp said:
wont happen since the need to load up the PS2 bios to run PS2 software. They must load the other OS which does not contain any of the PS3 OS features. Some with PS1 games. Sorry.

That's how it works currently, but there's nothing to say that can't change in the future. In any rate, it's NOT the same as PS1 games, since you are still signed into PSN and can receive messages, you just can't check them.

agaru

NinjaFusion said:
LOL

This thread SO delivers... reading through its really funny seeing the ration of "FAKE!" gradually diminish...

Seriously... can anyone be in doubt that a 'reveal' is inbound very shortly?

Also... WTF has happened at sony? they used to be pretty water tight - can't afford to pay the ninjas anymore?
I'm starting to believe we'll know everything in details even before GamesCom.

So yeah, it's coming very soon and no one can stop it... like a freight train loaded with awesomeness. :D

Really? Crap. I was aiming for my first GAF scoop too. Ah well. :D

And Kotaku has seen fit to use cakefoo's PS3 Slim rendering as the banner pic for said story. :lol

Blackface

Banned
I literally have $650 in cash sitting in my closet waiting for Sony to drop the price or release a new sku and drop the price of the old one.

I have money WAITING FOR YOU SONY. HURRY UP.

The_Reckoning said:
haha, your Dexter avatar more than makes up for it, awesome series.

Why, thank you. Just finished rewatching Season Three. Jimmy Smits is the shit,
may his character rest in piece

I'm jealous of all you Slim-patient muhfuckas. My 80 gig is fine and kicking, runs like a dream, but I've always been a fan of slim, streamlined products. And my poor college-going self ain't got enough to put towards a new one, book fees and $100 campus parking passes being hurled my way.

NinjaFusion said:
LOL

ninjas are quite expensive, and since sony had to cut costs, i think they had to let them go. somewhere along the countryside, you'll find a bunch of sad un-employed ninjas =(

Kinan

kazuma_pt said:
ninjas are quite expensive, and since sony had to cut costs, i think they had to let them go. somewhere along the countryside, you'll find a bunch of sad un-employed ninjas =(
1zd3xmp.jpg

glaurung

So, apparently August the 18th 2009 is a day to look out for in Germany.

Kent Brockman: Professor, without knowing precisely what the announcement is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Professor: Yes I would, Kent.

Loudninja

kazuma_pt said:

I am doing the best I can ;(

Kildace

My 360 just fried and I'm going on holliday soon. Sony, if by the time I'm back your Slim PS3 is 299€ you've got a new customer. You know what you've got to do!

kazuma_pt said:

The real question is though... do these ninjas prefer the old or new font?

keyrat

I might be late to the party here, but the new Madden 10 commercial has the same PS3 logo at the end as is on the supposed PS3 slim.

edit: n/m, it's not the same, but it does say PS3 instead of Playstation 3.

Cyport

keyrat said:
I might be late to the party here, but the new Madden 10 commercial has the same PS3 logo at the end as is on the supposed PS3 slim.

when will this end? So many people have said this, no blame to keyrat but read the thread before posting!

It looks like the slim is a reality confirmed, may have been confirmed ages ago but with sony cutting prices and stock there is no other reason, time to change avatar lol.

onken

keyrat said:

I hear there's a World Fair in Knoxville coming up that you may be interested in.

keyrat

Yea, sorry, I tried going back and finding where it said it but had no luck. I just saw the commercial last night for the first time and the first thing I thought was 'PS3 slim'.

Anyway, so this post isn't a total waste, anyone want to trade a slim for a 60gb?

jmd494

I'm thinking about getting a PS3 Slim simply because it'll be cooler (temperature). My room gets so damn hot when I run the PS3 for an hour.

What kind of temperature difference is there between the 60GB and the newest chipset?

deepbrown

Justin Dailey said:
I'm thinking about getting a PS3 Slim simply because it'll be cooler. My room gets so damn hot when I run the PS3 for an hour.

What kind of temperature difference is there between the 60GB and the newest chipset?
I thought you meant "cooler" in the like...well...the non-cold use of the word. To which I was going to respond, what will make it "cooler"?

Loudninja

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Justin Dailey said:
I'm thinking about getting a PS3 Slim simply because it'll be cooler (temperature). My room gets so damn hot when I run the PS3 for an hour.

Huge...I dont have exact temperature numbers, but here's my take. My 60GB launch unit YLOD on me a couple months back. Prior to doing so, the fan would get pretty loud after only 10 minutes of playing, and the air blowing out was quite warm...

I bought a new 80 GB unit in early June, model CECHL01, and the difference between the two is night and day! I can play games, movies, etc..on the new one for over 2 hrs and never hear the fan run unless im right next to it. Even then, its a low hum that is barely audible.

This is all due to the fact that the newer PS3s have the 65nm chipsets (compared to the 90nm i believe in the launch units), much less components on the inside, shrunk motherboard, and better cooling system (fan/heatsink).

EDIT-- Supposedly Sony has been manufacturing 40nm chips for months for use in the upcoming Slim....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom