• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepbrown

gofreak said:
Ah, the ol' internet news cycle.

That info is way old (well... a week or so old ;)). It's amusing to see various sites just reporting on it now.
It's even more amusing to see them report that the "PS3 Slim will start at £260" after a Telegraph report, which was written as a report on all the blogs speculating a PS3 Slim, with their interjection that it will "be less than the current £280".

They report the rumour, telegraph reports the rumour, they report the rumour again.

Halvie

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Huge...I dont have exact temperature numbers, but here's my take. My 60GB launch unit YLOD on me a couple months back. Prior to doing so, the fan would get pretty loud after only 10 minutes of playing, and the air blowing out was quite warm...

I bought a new 80 GB unit in early June, model CECHL01, and the difference between the two is night and day! I can play games, movies, etc..on the new one for over 2 hrs and never hear the fan run unless im right next to it. Even then, its a low hum that is barely audible.

This is all due to the fact that the newer PS3s have the 65nm chipsets (compared to the 90nm i believe in the launch units), much less components on the inside, shrunk motherboard, and better cooling system (fan/heatsink).

EDIT-- Supposedly Sony has been manufacturing 40nm chips for months for use in the upcoming Slim....

40 or 45nm? Is it just the cell that is supposed to be shrunk for slim or the gpu too?

Fatalah

111.jpg

This series is the only reason I would buy a PS3.

With my luck, as soon as I get one, 2KSports will get its act together for MLB2K10. But I suppose the chances of that happening are...slim.

Muffinman

Banned
Fatalah said:
111.jpg

With my luck, as soon as I get one, 2KSports will get its act together for MLB2K10. But I suppose the chances of that happening are...slim.

MLB 09: the show, is the best baseball game available on any console.

If you are a baseball fan, you really should consider purchasing a PS3.

Vorador

Banned
Sony has completely ceased shipping PS3 inventory to retailers, even ordering the removal of dummy display units; final orders cease in a few days.

The reason given is “maker circumstances.”

A letter to 7-11 was leaked in 2ch.

AndyD

aka andydumi
demosthenes said:
Nikkei reported late last year that they were on schedule to start them in March 09

And there was a report in May or so saying that it is under production already since earlier in the year.

Fatalah said:
111.jpg

Get that fake cover bullshit out of here.

Sirolf said:
According to this leaked planning from a major french videogames retailer , the PS3 slim reservations begin august 18th and the launch day is the 1st september.
The only question at this point is whether or not Microsoft waits until Sony's announcement on the 18th to announce the elimination of the Pro and the price reduction of the new Arcade/Elite models... or whether they elect to steal their thunder and announce the details ahead of time.

If I was a betting man, I'd peg MSFT's announcement for the 17th.

Okay, that does it, I'm waiting for a Playstation 3 Slim. The 1st of September isn't that far away. I can deal with that, as long as they do announce it on August 18th. :)

Gomu Gomu

I think this thread should be closed. We DO KNOW for a fact that PS3slim is coming. All we need is to wait for an official reveal.

womfalcs3

Banned
September 1st would be a good date. Gives me time to play some other games before Uncharted 2.

It has sucked not being able to play games lately.

Muffinman

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:
The only question at this point is whether or not Microsoft waits until Sony's announcement on the 18th to announce the elimination of the Pro and the price reduction of the new Arcade/Elite models... or whether they elect to steal their thunder and announce the details ahead of time.

These are multi-billion dollar companies.

Lowering prices are not done on a whim, for MS to even think of lowering the price, they would have to cut costs, or conjure up some kind of plan.

I don't know why fanboys immediately assume that if one company lowers the price on one console, that the other company automatically will too.

Egmont

Neo Member
Sirolf said:
Well another (good) french source (pretty much spot on every time)

http://www.ps3gen.fr/calendrier-fin-annee-offres-zoom-19451,6279,3.html

According to this leaked planning from a major french videogames retailer , the PS3 slim reservations begin august 18th and the launch day is the 1st september.

Bah, why do they write their dates like that?
blasted frenchmen *shakes fist*

Anyway, this adds to the number of confirmation reports we've gotten for Europe, but we still haven't heard very much about NA, or any other regions for that matter.

B-Rad Lascelle said:

According to Ars mole there isn't going to be a price drop on 360. Same $199 Arcade, and a 120gb version for $299. Whether that's an Elite or a Pro with a 120gb hdd, I don't know.

lupinko

Muffinman said:
These are multi-billion dollar companies.

Lowering prices are not done on a whim, for MS to even think of lowering the price, they would have to cut costs, or conjure up some kind of plan.

I don't know why fanboys immediately assume that if one company lowers the price on one console, that the other company automatically will too.

thisisneogafdude.gif

Gomu Gomu said:
I think this thread should be closed. We DO KNOW for a fact that PS3slim is coming. All we need is to wait for an official reveal.

Same here. I think we can put this issue to bed and confirm that Sony is the worst secret keepers in the gaming industry.

Alright, I want to sell my 40GB and get this in September, How can I transfer my PSN games, I think I used up my gameshares, can I get a cable from Sony like the xbox one?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Rapping Granny said:
Alright, I want to sell my 40GB and get this in September, How can I transfer my PSN games, I think I used up my gameshares, can I get a cable from Sony like the xbox one?

just use the backup utility.

Rapping Granny said:

Only way now is to back it up. And I hope you have a backup anyway.

alr1ghtstart said:
That elite needs a sexy piano black finish like the PS3.

The ps3 needs a sexy matte finish like the 360. Just look at the Cloud Black ps3 and try telling me it doesn't look better than what's out there right now.

dolemite said:
Slim PS3 is a given. The only uncertainty is how much and what features got removed/added.

None and none.

Unless of course you believe the rumor that you will no longer be able to install Linux on the PS3. Oh the huge manatee.

Zoe

Rapping Granny said:

Deactivate your old PS3 before selling it.

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:

New Arcade/Elite models?

iceatcs

Epic Fail Guy said:
Same here. I think we can put this issue to bed and confirm that Sony is the worst secret keepers in the gaming industry.
Or the media are not scary of Sony anymore (Save money as possible = layout Sony Ninjas), and most leaks came from EU/ASIA media = save area from hot head US lawyers.

Valkyr Junkie said:
None and none.

Unless of course you believe the rumor that you will no longer be able to install Linux on the PS3. Oh the huge manatee.

Well that guy has been right about two things so far. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Shambles

Rapping Granny said:
like a hardrive?

what type of hhd does the PS3 accept?

sorry for all these noob quetions.

It takes a standard 2.5" SATA HDD (Laptop Harddrive)

Edit: Oh external hard drive, ignore me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom