• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shambles said:
It takes a standard 2.5" SATA HDD (Laptop Harddrive)

Edit: Oh external hard drive, ignore me

For internal purposes yea :p

For external you can back up with any USB HD formatted to FAT32. I have a program on my home PC that does this easily, will try to find it.

Massa

I wonder why Sony isn't hyping Gamescom like they did E3.

Also, the press conference will be done in English, right? Hopefully the usual websites will have livestreams.

Massa said:
I wonder why Sony isn't hyping Gamescom like they did E3.

Also, the press conference will be done in English, right? Hopefully the usual websites will have livestreams.
Or they put the whole thing on PSN Store like Leipzig '08.

xtop

Epic Fail Guy said:
Same here. I think we can put this issue to bed and confirm that Sony is the worst secret keepers in the gaming industry.

i'd say they did the pspgo and ps3 slim leaks on purpose

Sorry to interrupt the more technical side of the conversation; but if the Slim design is in fact a reality how likely will it be for Gamestop (do any other retailers take console trade-ins? I don't know of any) to offer a PS3 trade-in special towards the Slim? I apologize if this has been mentioned/discussed/answered.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
b7b9q9.png

Is this legit? I hope so because white 360 looks terrible.

alr1ghtstart said:
That elite needs a sexy piano black finish like the PS3.

The Elite needs a real deep black finish that actually matches the color of the controller and not this grey nonsense that MS sells as black.

xtop

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Sorry to interrupt the more technical side of the conversation; but if the Slim design is in fact a reality how likely will it be for Gamestop (do any other retailers take console trade-ins? I don't know of any) to offer a PS3 trade-in special towards the Slim? I apologize if this has been mentioned/discussed/answered.

if i remember right they do this quite often, tho i haven't taken advantage since the ps2->ps2 slim

xtop said:
if i remember right they do this quite often, tho i haven't taken advantage since the ps2->ps2 slim

Yea I've noticed this before, never taken advantage of it so I'm considering it if it happens. *Fingers crossed*

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Old PS3 + 2 games + $50 = Slim or something along those lines. <- Pure guess.

Shiggy

RTL posted some news:

http://www.rtlinfo.be/rtl/news/article/261660/--Sony+va+enfin+baisser+le+prix+de+sa+Playstation+3

Depuis quelques jours, cela semble enfin se confirmer puisque certains grossistes affirment que le prix de la console de Sony va prochainement baisser. In recent days, it seems to finally confirm that some wholesalers say that the price of the console Sony will soon drop. On parle de 299 euros, soit 100 euros de moins que la version actuelle de 80 GB, livrée avec un jeu récent. They talk about 299 euros, 100 euros less than the current version of 80 GB, delivered with a recent Thursday. Ce n'est pas tout: il s'agirait d'une nouvelle version de la console, sans doute amincie physiquement. This is not all it is a new version of the console, probably thinned physically.

jsnepo

Rapping Granny said:
Alright, I want to sell my 40GB and get this in September, How can I transfer my PSN games, I think I used up my gameshares, can I get a cable from Sony like the xbox one?

Don't listen to those who said back up. You can't restore a backup to another PS3 system.

What you need to do are the following:

1. Deactivate your PSN ID on your 40GB PS3. If possible, deactivate all PSN IDs.
2. Copy your saves and media to a USB drive. Not all saves can be copied though like Killzone 2. For those saves, you can't do anything unfortunately.
3. Sync all the trophies.

Once you get your slim PS3, create users for all the PSN IDs you deactivated. Login to them and download whatever games they have that you need. You will have to re-download all your games and their respective patches and updates. Copy your saves and media to it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shiggy said:
According to RTL, Sony just informed European retailers that the 80 GB PS3 will see a pricecut in the coming days (100 Euro).

RTL?

Would make sense though..a month ought to be enough to flush remaining 80GBs out of the system now that supply has apparently stopped.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shiggy said:
They are the leading European entertainment network ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTL_Group

Cheers, and thanks for the link too :)

Are we sure the article is saying that there'll be a pricedrop imminently on the 80GB? A read of Google's translation sorta suggests they're saying wholesalers are saying that the price of the system will soon drop, and moreover that it'll be a new slimmer version...does it say explicitly that the 80GB will be getting a pricedrop in the interim, or is it just talking about Slim?

seb

Banned
jsnepo said:
Don't listen to those who said back up. You can't restore a backup to another PS3 system.

What you need to do are the following:

1. Deactivate your PSN ID on your 40GB PS3. If possible, deactivate all PSN IDs.
2. Copy your saves and media to a USB drive. Not all saves can be copied though like Killzone 2. For those saves, you can't do anything unfortunately.
3. Sync all the trophies.

Once you get your slim PS3, create users for all the PSN IDs you deactivated. Login to them and download whatever games they have that you need. You will have to re-download all your games and their respective patches and updates. Copy your saves and media to it.
I don't know if it's because some people have just had problems during the restore process, but you certainly can restore onto a different PS3. I have done it myself from a 60GB to a new 80GB. Am I missing something here?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shiggy said:
It will cost 299 Euro bundled with a game.

Just saw this part of your post...you sure it's not saying it'll cost €100 less than the current 80GB, which comes bundled with a game?

jsnepo

CrayzeeCarl said:
I don't know if it's because some people have just had problems during the restore process, but you certainly can restore onto a different PS3. I have done it myself from a 60GB to a new 80GB. Am I missing something here?

What? Are you sure? We've tried that multiple times with multiple PS3s. It doesn't work. In case it does, game sharing would've been exploited far worse than its current state.

Shiggy

gofreak said:
Just saw this part of your post...you sure it's not saying it'll cost €100 less than the current 80GB, which comes bundled with a game?

Sorry, I only read a translation which had some errors. I'll better edit it.
In fact, it rather looks like information which we already díscussed...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, it's mostly speculation we've heard before...but if they heard it independently it would be interesting.

jsnepo said:
What? Are you sure? We've tried that multiple times with multiple PS3s. It doesn't work. In case it does, game sharing would've been exploited far worse than its current state.

Anyway, we'll try that again. What happens to the activation though?
I am pretty sure, but the more I hear this, the less sure I become! :lol

Edit: And PSN games aren't backed up anyway, so why would that affect game sharing?

Phreak47

jsnepo said:

I'm sure you would still need to deactivate the original console from your PSN account... otherwise, the new unit would still be taking up "slots" for downloaded games. I haven't done this myself, but I have also heard from others that it does in fact work. What was your error or point of failure?

Phreak47 said:
I'm sure you would still need to deactivate the original console from your PSN account... otherwise, the new unit would still be taking up "slots" for downloaded games. I haven't done this myself, but I have also heard from others that it does in fact work. What was your error or point of failure?
Yeah, and definitely don't forget to deactivate for video content because you only get 1 of those. You can get Sony to clear them out but it's a PITA. I'm going through that now. I never bought/rented any video on my old system but I did activate it. Then I went to rent a video on my new system and it actually let me pay for it (of course >:| ), but it failed to activate.

Now I have to fax Sony a copy of my original receipt of the first system I had and write them a letter asking them to deactivate my old system! WTF, Sony! Is this 1994? Shouldn't we be able to do this online, or better yet, from the PS3 Account Management?!?

spwolf

gofreak said:
Cheers, and thanks for the link too :)

Are we sure the article is saying that there'll be a pricedrop imminently on the 80GB? A read of Google's translation sorta suggests they're saying wholesalers are saying that the price of the system will soon drop, and moreover that it'll be a new slimmer version...does it say explicitly that the 80GB will be getting a pricedrop in the interim, or is it just talking about Slim?

we need some french peeps to translate that, but it seems like new model which will be 299 not current one...

agaru said:
IGN have posted a decent article on what we know so far about the slim (only a roundup, nothing new):

Rumor Roundup: PS3 Slim

They do mention that the render model that appeared on Amazon.de was made by GAF.
It's nice to see all the Playstation 3 Slim stuff we know about so far organized like that on one page.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
A nice Slim only feature would be accepting a full backup.
DLC, Locked saves, PSN game and all.

I WILL UPGRADE DAY 1 SONY IF YOU DO IT.

xtop said:
i'd say they did the pspgo and ps3 slim leaks on purpose
Sony Chief "Hay guys, I have an idea! Let's totally undercut our PS3 sales for a few months by fake-leaking news about the Slim! Our shareholders will love that!"

try again.

dolemite

Guy LeDouche said:
Sony Chief "Hay guys, I have an idea! Let's totally undercut our PS3 sales for a few months by fake-leaking news about the Slim! Our shareholders will love that!"

try again.
Fewer Phats sold == fewer losses incurred.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
H_Prestige said:
I remember reading an interview with Kutaragi where he blatantly said the same exact thing, that the ps2 chips wouldn't be in ps3's for long and that they were planning full software eventually.

Phil Harrison said the same thing in a video interview during some con. I think it was the one that had the little big Little Big Planet blowout reveal. I think it was just after the Euro EE-less model was launched.

He said that only the EE is currently emulated, and that somewhere down the line a firmware update would disable the hardware compatibility and be replaced by software compatibility.

It really sticks out because, a) he actually said it, and b) The reporter asked if there was then going to be any way to take advantage of the 'disabled' hardware for those older models. The answer was, of course, no.

And NO, I can't find the video. I've raped Gametrailer's pathetically inept search engine, but I can't find it. Maybe Gamespot?

Yeah, but at some point after that they changed their tune emphatically and said that BC was never to return. That ship had sailed etc...

Who to believe? :)

onesvenus

CrayzeeCarl said:
Yeah, and definitely don't forget to deactivate for video content because you only get 1 of those. You can get Sony to clear them out but it's a PITA. I'm going through that now. I never bought/rented any video on my old system but I did activate it. Then I went to rent a video on my new system and it actually let me pay for it (of course >:| ), but it failed to activate.
Doesn't a system restore do that?? I selled my PS3 a while ago (I had two, just one now) and the only thing I did was a system restore before selling it. It should be noted that although I registered to the PSN I'd never bought anything online.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
dolemite said:

Umm, production stopped on the phats. They still have to get rid of the remaining stock. If they sell that stock after the slim/price drop, they take an even larger hit.

dolemite said:

Phat = sunk cost, so more sales of existing inventory actually = less of a loss.

Psychotext said:
Yeah, but at some point after that they changed their tune emphatically and said that BC was never to return. That ship had sailed etc...

Who to believe? :)

They wanted to spur PS2 sales until they were ready to release BC :D

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
KillJade said:
I feel for you. Right now, here in Canada, I believe Wal-Mart is selling a package of an 80GB PS3, with Uncharted, Killzone 2 and LittleBigPlanet for $499.99.

Which is currently approximately $464.99 US. :) $399 PS3 is $371.99.

It's a veritable bar-GOON bananza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom