• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
dolemite said:
Fewer Phats sold == fewer losses incurred.

You dont get it, Sony payed over 400$ (manufacturing cost, shipping, storing) to make each PS3 phat. They are totaly fucked if they dont sell them all.

androvsky

Arkham said:
Phil Harrison said the same thing in a video interview during some con. I think it was the one that had the little big Little Big Planet blowout reveal. I think it was just after the Euro EE-less model was launched.

He said that only the EE is currently emulated, and that somewhere down the line a firmware update would disable the hardware compatibility and be replaced by software compatibility.

It really sticks out because, a) he actually said it, and b) The reporter asked if there was then going to be any way to take advantage of the 'disabled' hardware for those older models. The answer was, of course, no.

And NO, I can't find the video. I've raped Gametrailer's pathetically inept search engine, but I can't find it. Maybe Gamespot?

I remember the same things from that interview. I think it would've been a GDC 2007 interview if that helps any.

spwolf

DieH@rd said:
You dont get it, Sony payed over 400$ (manufacturing cost, shipping, storing) to make each PS3 phat. They are totaly fucked if they dont sell them all.

why wouldnt they sell them all? Everyone is reporting low or no inventory on phats... more they sell at higher price, more they make. They will drop the price of phat at the last possible minute (as we can see with recent deals).

AndyD

aka andydumi
androvsky said:
I remember the same things from that interview. I think it would've been a GDC 2007 interview if that helps any.

I also remember the same stuff. He even said that all models would swith to software to provide parity and easier support across the board which is weird I guess.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
qwerty2k said:
no shiny finish = no buy (i want to trade in my 60gig uk ps3 for a slim when they come out though :D)

you actually like scratches,dust and fingerprints?

Really?

matte FTW.

DrXym

spwolf said:
why wouldnt they sell them all? Everyone is reporting low or no inventory on phats... more they sell at higher price, more they make. They will drop the price of phat at the last possible minute (as we can see with recent deals).

Exactly, and they'll make those fat models look more attractive by bundling stuff, or ensuring the first wave of slim models look expensive or lack matching HDD capacity by comparison. Sony aren't stupid and have been through all this before. Once the fats are sold out, the subsequent waves of slims will probably occupy a high and a low price point with regards to storage capacity.

Massa

Tiduz said:
you actually like scratches,dust and fingerprints?

Really?

matte FTW.

Fingerprints? I don't ever lay a finger on my PS3 (not even the Eject/Power buttons).

I do prefer matte, but not like those leaked pictures. That matte finish looks cheap.

spwolf

highluxury said:
I thought I would never live the day to see this happen. I gotta admire his dedication to whatever his workplace may be. He's a valueble man to whichever company in the videogame business he works at.

why? it is all business obviously.

mr_nothin

Banned
spwolf said:
He's countering the other guy's view.

Maximus.

I was going to wait for the announcement of the slim, but then i realized what was the real point. Its just gonna sit there and do its thing, and yes i used to really care about the color and sizes of my systems lol. In my opinion the slim is gonna feel and probably look cheap, a good example of this is the ps2 slim, that thing feels flimsy and cheap. Im all for a ps3 slim, but since i got the ps3 phat a couple weeks ago i dont feel any regret.

mr_nothin

Banned
Fraull said:
I was going to wait for the announcement of the slim, but then i realized what was the real point. Its just gonna sit there and do its thing, and yes i used to really care about the color and sizes of my systems lol. In my opinion the slim is gonna feel and probably look cheap, a good example of this is the ps2 slim, that thing feels flimsy and cheap. Im all for a ps3 slim, but since i got the ps3 phat a couple weeks ago i dont feel any regret.
Lets come back to this post after the slim has be released.

Egmont

Neo Member
gofreak said:
Are we sure the article is saying that there'll be a pricedrop imminently on the 80GB? A read of Google's translation sorta suggests they're saying wholesalers are saying that the price of the system will soon drop, and moreover that it'll be a new slimmer version...does it say explicitly that the 80GB will be getting a pricedrop in the interim, or is it just talking about Slim?

No, it's unnecessarily confusingly written, but I took a look and I got the sense that it's saying that the Slim will be 299. It says that rumors say that the price will drop to 299, "100 euros cheaper than the current 80GB version that comes bundled with a game," and then goes on to mention that, what's more, it would be [il s'agirait, potential form] a new version of the console.

DeadGzuz said:
No way, My 360 Elite looks like it was primed but never painted. It looks like an unfinished toy.
I'd prefer a slightly darker paint on the 360. That said, I don't like the glossy finish of the PS3... I had a gunmetal MGS4 version on pre-order but it never came to the UK. :(

Woffls

I do hope the Slim will be released in Europe this year. I'm selling my 40gb to get one of these >_< I don't mind if not, I'll just wait til the price drops and Heavy Rain is out.

kadotsu

Banned
i-could-care-less.JPG

just kidding

Loudninja

Woffls said:
I do hope the Slim will be released in Europe this year. I'm selling my 40gb to get one of these >_< I don't mind if not, I'll just wait til the price drops and Heavy Rain is out.

I really dont see the point of this?

Maximus.

mr_nothin said:
Lets come back to this post after the slim has be released.

haha i could be totally wrong and regret my purchase, probably wont regret it, but im still within a 30 days grace period where i can return it if it is indeed announced on august 18th and has something fancy about it :p

pseudocaesar said:
Argh. I dont know what to buy. A second PS3 (Slim) Or a second PSP (Also Slim in a way).

A second PSP (Go) makes more sense because 1. It's more portable than the older PSPs 2. Multiple PSPs are more useful due to ad hoc multiplayer.

I feel your pain though. I traded my PS2 for a PStwo and don't regret it because the PStwo still works/looks great.

JoJo13

Banned
shouamabane said:
A second PSP (Go) makes more sense because 1. It's more portable than the older PSPs 2. Multiple PSPs are more useful due to ad hoc multiplayer.

I feel your pain though. I traded my PS2 for a PStwo and don't regret it because the PStwo still works/looks great.

This.

PSP Go's slim design and added internal memory are more meaningful than the new PS3 Slim design.

For a portable, the slim design has a utility; that's not the case for a stationary console.

tak

dolemite said:
HDMI cables cost literally pennies, you'll spend ten times as much for shipping fees.
Sony should include one; the vast majority of HD capable devices include one. If a cable cost as little as you say, Sony has even less of an excuse for not including one.

Crisis

Banned
tak said:
Sony should include one; the vast majority of HD capable devices include one. If a cable cost as little as you say, Sony has even less of an excuse for not including one.

There's actually a very good excuse for it. It just isn't one that you would like. Retailers like that it doesn't have one included because it lets them sell you a marked up one.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
which then in turn causes people to hook it up to their HDTVs with composite cables. *shudder*

They need to include one. It would actually help people hook their stuff up right, and maybe make them purchase some new BDs.

Crisis

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
which then in turn causes people to hook it up to their HDTVs with composite cables. *shudder*

They need to include one. It would actually help people hook their stuff up right, and maybe make them purchase some new BDs.

Now THAT would be a good reason to include it but it's a tough sale to retailers even with that logic.

Crisis said:
Now THAT would be a good reason to include it but it's a tough sale to retailers even with that logic.

K, but last time I was at Costco and Best Buy, every BD player had an HDMI cable in the box. Retailers don't care because they still push their Monster cable shit as what you really need.

Maximus.

obonicus said:
PSP integration probably helps too -- they can try and sell two copies of Madden, instead of one.

i dont agree, it was shit on the gamecube, it isnt going to be any better on the ps3.

____

Crisis said:
There's actually a very good excuse for it. It just isn't one that you would like. Retailers like that it doesn't have one included because it lets them sell you a marked up one.

I thought I heard them say they didn't include one because only a very small percentage of households had HDTV's or something like that.

It didn't make sense because the 360 still included it, but I vaguely remember something along those lines being mentioned.

Rhindle

____ said:
I thought I heard them say they didn't include one because only a very small percentage of households had HDTV's or something like that.

It didn't make sense because the 360 still included it, but I vaguely remember something along those lines being mentioned.
Well, apparently Microsoft is taking both HDMI and component cables OUT of their packs, so all systems this fall will be selling with a composite cable.

It REALLY wouldn't surprise me if this is based on pressure from retailers.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Rhindle said:
Well, apparently Microsoft is taking both HDMI and component cables OUT of their packs, so all systems this fall will be selling with a composite cable.

It REALLY wouldn't surprise me if this is based on pressure from retailers.
Aren't the component connectors already included in the composite cable? To remove those two pieces would just be low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom