• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

Salaadin

I cant even wrap my head around that logic. It hurts too much.

Anymore reviews yet?

Metacritic has 2 up, not sure if theyre new.

83 from Gaming-age
"After a nearly 8 year hiatus, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is a worthy 4th installment in the Sly Cooper series (especially for under $40), and Sanzaru Games did a great job picking up where Sucker Punch left off. Overall, it's an interesting take on the Sly formula, though ultimately, a fairly safe one."

65 from PS Lifestyle
"At its core, Thieves in Time is an average platformer that has some pretty art and that Sly Cooper charm. Fans of the franchise will love it because it’s more Sly, but those looking for something that goes above and beyond will likely be left feeling a bit disappointed."

OwlyKnees

All the negativity stems from people who haven't played the first three or didn't like them, so I'm not going to feel bad unless someone who liked them says it sucks (which I highly doubt will happen).

Nice generalising.

You don't have to care if people don't enjoy it, but the lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Salaadin

Sessler just tweeter that his review will be up at 9:00am pacific....so 50 mins from now. I wonder if thats when the others still start to hit.

Reclaimer

*Plugs disc into PS3*
*Select "Disc Benefits"*
"Disc benefits are not available at this time."

FUCK!

This is why I will double dip. I want to actually own my games, not just a license to use em when Sony wants me to. (Opening up my vita card first, and if its good enough I might get the PS3 version as well)

Super excited for a new Sly... Hopefully it's a quality game that gets enough sales for a sequal!

from the gaming age review:
"the missions in each Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time chapter are set up around what looks like an open world hub. I say "looks like" because the game progression is totally linear. There is never a point in the game where you need to choose between more than one job at a time, so you are always pushed forward."

If true, that's a step backward. I liked having different missions I could complete in any order.

Hanmik

from the gaming age review:
"the missions in each Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time chapter are set up around what looks like an open world hub. I say "looks like" because the game progression is totally linear. There is never a point in the game where you need to choose between more than one job at a time, so you are always pushed forward."

If true, that's a step backward. I liked having different missions I could complete in any order.

it is true.. only once in the game you have the change to choose between to different missions.. it´s pretty linear.

velociraptor

I hope this game doesn't bomba. I love Sly Cooper.

My biggest gripe however is the fact it's not coming out in the UK until late March! WHY?!

persongr

it is true.. only once in the game you have the change to choose between to different missions.. it´s pretty linear.

Don't think it is only once available, I remember having two heroes with available missions, at least twice in Japan. Then again I've only played a preview version a while ago and may be wrong. All in all it is linear, mission-wise. You can roam in the level though (at least in Japan).

luxuria

Banned
Never got to play the original Sly Cooper games. Don't mind starting on this one, but I hope it doesn't suck. :l

OwlyKnees

Why would somebody who liked the first three not like this one? Just out of curiosity.

Numerous reasons, I'd imagine. Lack of evolution is my issue. Yes, I understand it's a franchise and will not stray too far from the norm, but when playing through the HD collection I was pleasantly surprised at the difference between the three games. There is a clear, distinct progression that separates all three games in tone and structure. This seems like a retread, and as such, I'm completely content with playing the existing games if there is little incentive to spend money on a new one.

BCWo8fxCMAEx4BI.jpg

AND SO IT BEGINS... in about two hours after class is over.

...I have no idea why the pictures is that way; I took it with my Vita.

My copy from Amazon is on its way. Between Fire Emblem Awakening and Ni No Kuni, I'm not entirely sure how I'll have time to fit Sly 4 in, but I'll find a way. I've been waiting for a Sly 4 ever since I finished Sly 3, and while this isn't by Sucker Punch, with how excited everyone is about it, I'm really looking forward to it.

Camjo-Z

Should be able to pick this up after class, been waiting for a good 3D platformer on PS3 for some time so I am ready to go.

On a side note, does anyone know what that "Bentley's Hackpack" thing in the store update is supposed to be? I haven't even heard of it until today.

persongr

[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-05-sly-cooper-thieves-in-time-review]Eurogamer gave it a 6/10[/URL].

edit: beaten :|

Globox_82

Banned
I already ordered my copy so reviews won't sway me. This seems in line with previous games when it comes to score. On average 7.5-8.5. I just wonder why Sony sends these games to die? Why make them in the first place?

I already see it, a few months from now Sony cuts ties with Sanzaru.

P.S I hope gamers support it either way or it is good bye Sly :(

Globox_82

Banned

From EGM:"THE BAD: Timed missions revolving around getting treasure back to the hideout don’t work in a stealth game."

Really stupid to put that in the game, now sure how big part of the game it takes. Gamespot review didn't mention it.

Berordn

I already ordered my copy so reviews won't sway me. This seems in line with previous games when it comes to score. On average 7.5-8.5. I just wonder why Sony sends these games to die? Why make them in the first place?

I'm confused. Is this in relation to the scores? Because if not it's just standard Sony mismanagement.

From EGM:"THE BAD: Timed missions revolving around getting treasure back to the hideout don’t work in a stealth game."

Really stupid to put that in the game, now sure how big part of the game it takes. Gamespot review didn't mention it.

Um, Sly 2 had self distructing treasure you had to get back to the hideout on a timer too...that was optional for more coins, and I'm sure it is optional here as well.

Edit: And the Gamespot review does mention it: "Racing back to your hideout with a valuable urn adds more coins to your bank, allowing you to unlock new maneuvers" See, exactly the same as Sly 2.

I see this game as the last big hope to show that we still want old-school platformers.

It feels like if this fails, we're all doomed to play fps for the whole of next gen :/

It's not looking good so far. But I put faith in the public to buy it.

That review seems to suggest exactly what I feared in this game.

No one disagrees that the Sly art style and look are fantastic. The problem is that making the same game from 10 years ago doesn't really excite people right now. It was a mistake just making a replica of that game. They should have tried to take what was great about Sly and make a better game. That means not including the shitty Murray combat just because.

It's a shame because I was really excited about a NEW Sly game when this project was announced, but now I'm just "meh" in reaction to it's arrival. I won't be buying it.

BioHazard

I've never played a Sly before and am getting this, although, I am worried about all these "shitty Murray" sections

How bad can they be?

Reclaimer

I see this game as the last big hope to show that we still want old-school platformers.

It feels like if this fails, we're all doomed to play fps for the whole of next gen :/

I think you need a Nintendo system. There are many excellent platformers.

(Galaxy 1 and 2, NSMBU, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario 3D Land, Rayman Legends and Yoshi soon, etc)

But I agree, I want more Sly1, Jak and Daxter, and Banjo style platformers. And I want platformers from more than just Nintendo.

SykoTech

3D platformers? Maybe.

There are plenty of 2D ones to go around though. Even non-sequel ones like Puppeteer.

Salaadin

Adam Sessler review: 2/5 Stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IXp8TBrf38

I really enjoyed his review.

That review pretty much confirmed every single fear I had about the game.

Can you give a quick summary on why he didn't like it? I don't want to be spoiled since i'm still debating if i should keep my pre-order or not. I seem to remember that Adam really likes these kind of games (being a huge R&C fan, iirc).

Pros: Characters are still charming

Cons: Gameplay is superficial and uninspired. Story and writing are lacking. Boss battles are insufferable.

He also makes a point of saying he really liked the PS2 games, and he thinks this is a step backwards for the franchise.

Top Bottom