• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time |OT| Sly & the Family’s Tome are Back!

VanWinkle

I'm depressed by this game. I was so excited for this and peoples' negativity is just bumming me out :( Still a day 1 and still excited to play it, but goodness :(

Stay strong! We have another classic my friend, I can feel it.

Yep. Even at the very least, it's still a Sly Cooper game, something most of us have been waiting on for years.

All the negativity stems from people who haven't played the first three or didn't like them, so I'm not going to feel bad unless someone who liked them says it sucks (which I highly doubt will happen).

I'm depressed by this game. I was so excited for this and peoples' negativity is just bumming me out :( Still a day 1 and still excited to play it, but goodness :(

This post would have been me a year or two ago. Now, if I get a bad vibe about a game like this, I hold off, because I'm not interested in adding another game to my backlog, just based on brand hype alone.

I love the Sly games, but I've still got the Sly collection here if I want to play one of those games. I will only be buying this new one if it's actually better than one of those games. The loading times alone are already telling me that isn't the case.

VanWinkle

This post would have been me a year or two ago. Now, if I get a bad vibe about a game like this, I hold off, because I'm not interested in adding another game to my backlog, just based on brand hype alone.

I love the Sly games, but I've still got the Sly collection here if I want to play one of those games. I will only be buying this new one if it's actually better than one of those games. The loading times alone are already telling me that isn't the case.

It's not that the game gives me a bad vibe. I enjoyed the demo and all the footage looks awesome. It's just all the negativity from people who haven't played it or didn't like the demo and thus take that to mean that the whole game is bad.

dreamfall

Do we know if the Vita version is a code or a "disc benefit?" Because for All-Stars, you had to put the disc in your PS3 before you could get the Vita version.

Just a bit of forewarning.

Yipes!

Thanks for the warning- I had no idea. Damn, I totally thought it was just a code inside with disc box.

Well, this might mean I'd have to hold off, until reuniting with the PS3 :/

Drago

Only complaints I see is for Murray's section!

Yeah, in the demo Murray was pretty sluggish and he really isn't that much more powerful than everyone else. I hope his sections in the rest of the game are a lot better than they are in the intro.

VanWinkle

Only complaints I see is for Murray's section!

More outside of the official thread. This thread has been pretty civil except for the Murray part which everyone agrees was pretty bad. It's just that, just because he had a bad introduction doesn't mean every part with him will be bad. It's not like every part will just be walking down a line punching people. I don't know why they even did that in the intro without mixing it up.

Drago

sly-av_zps7c64d68e.jpg

This avatar taken?

jwk94

I really wish SCEA would allow us to pre-order this on PSN. It doesn't make sense that they're promoting Dead Space 3 over one of their own games, smh. I need this now!

It's not that the game gives me a bad vibe. I enjoyed the demo and all the footage looks awesome. It's just all the negativity from people who haven't played it or didn't like the demo and thus take that to mean that the whole game is bad.

What about the negativity from people who've actually played the full game? A reviewer posted his thoughts on the previous page.

The problem I have with this game is that it sounds like the developer just took the template from Sly 2/3 and made another of those. Many people, myself included saw those sequels as inferior to the first game. Not to mention people's expectations raise over time. So a game practically remaking a game from 2004 doesn't sound all that exciting. Then you throw epic load times on top of that. I don't expect to to review well, and I certainly don't expect to to sell well.

What about the negativity from people who've actually played the full game? A reviewer posted his thoughts on the previous page.

The problem I have with this game is that it sounds like the developer just took the template from Sly 2/3 and made another of those. Many people, myself included saw those sequels as inferior to the first game. Not to mention people's expectations raise over time. So a game practically remaking a game from 2004 doesn't sound all that exciting. Then you throw epic load times on top of that. I don't expect to to review well, and I certainly don't expect to to sell well.

Like two people (who didn't like the first three, mind you) said that they did not like the game but that fans of the franchise would. Did you skip over that part of the review?

What the developer did was expand on the already expertly crafted gameplay of the other games. Let's face it, when a game has a formula change similar to what Sly & Jak have gone through, rarely does the developer decide "Oh, lets go back to our original template and try that again." Sly Cooper: TiT is nothing even close to a "remake" its a completely new title with a few elements from ALL of the sly games wrapped up in one nice HD package.

The load times are a "problem" only in the Vita version to my knowledge, and even then, it's no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. The game already got a 9 from a semi-reliable source, and I expect the others to pretty much follow suit, because most of the places I have seen that had a preview really enjoyed the game.

It may not sell as well as something like Dead Space, but I think it'll do fine for a 3rd Party developed 1st Party franchise.

VanWinkle

Nothing wrong with not wanting that. I loved Sly 2, and this is the formula this game is based off of. I loved Sly 1 too, but I'm not unhappy with the Sly 2 formula. They were possibly pressured by Sony to make it a certain way because it's not their IP and it's their first big game. Who knows. Regarding the review on the previous page, he doesn't like Sly games and he doesn't like that it plays like the old games. That's not who I am going to listen to regarding this specific game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Why is this coming out nearly 2 months later for the EU? A few days like other releases is understandable, but nearly 2 months, crazy.

Shame too, as someone who missed the games when they first came out on PS2 and really enjoyed the Sly Collection I was going to ask for this for my birthday on the 24th of match, guess that won't be happening, which means sadly I'll probably pick it up at a much later date if it doesn't end up disappearing off the gaming map completely.

Why is this coming out nearly 2 months later for the EU? A few days like other releases is understandable, but nearly 2 months, crazy.

Shame too, as someone who missed the games when they first came out on PS2 and really enjoyed the Sly Collection I was going to ask for this for my birthday on the 24th of match, guess that won't be happening, which means sadly I'll probably pick it up at a much later date if it doesn't end up disappearing off the gaming map completely.

You could always ask for a fully paid off pre-order for your birthday like I did for Christmas.

Sorian

Banned
Yipes!

Thanks for the warning- I had no idea. Damn, I totally thought it was just a code inside with disc box.

Well, this might mean I'd have to hold off, until reuniting with the PS3 :/

Just fyi, you could always buy the game digitally on the PSN, i believe that is a way to download on your vita for now and PS3 later.

Caffer

Neo Member
Do you guys know how cross-buy works for digital purchase?

I'm European and i don't want to wait 'til march, but i'm worried about the ps vita version.

If i buy the ps3 version with my US account can i tie the ps vita version to my EU one?
With the disc i know I could but i'm not sure about the digital download..

wouwie

Looking forward to some gaf impressions from people who are buying this in the US. Please let this game be good :)

I'll be picking it up today. Hate having to empty out my Vita memory for this but Im not paying for Sony's obscene memory stick prices.

AOC83

Banned

That´s what i ask myself too. There is absolutely no reason for this huge delay. Would download the US version but i want it retail.

JebusF

Neo Member
Do you guys know how cross-buy works for digital purchase?

I'm European and i don't want to wait 'til march, but i'm worried about the ps vita version.

If i buy the ps3 version with my US account can i tie the ps vita version to my EU one?
With the disc i know I could but i'm not sure about the digital download..

Pretty sure you can't do this. The US version would be tied to your US account, so you could only put it on your Vita if the Vita has the US account on it too.

moogrose

I ordered the vita version off newegg when it was $40, with a $10 off promotion. Since then the price changed to $30, but newegg kept the $10 off promo, so i scored the vita version for just $20. Looking forward to it...

Salaadin

I ordered the vita version off newegg when it was $40, with a $10 off promotion. Since then the price changed to $30, but newegg kept the $10 off promo, so i scored the vita version for just $20. Looking forward to it...

I got the PS3 version for 27.99 from newegg because of some promo they did a while back.
Funny thing is, I preordered on Amazon because I forgot that I ordered from newegg. Got an email yesterday morning from newegg saying "we charged your card!" and I briefly thought that someone got my credit card details until I read the email. Then I had to rush to Amazon and cancel before they charged me too >.>

Neweggs shipping was great too. Itll be here today.

The Lamp

I'll get mine today too. But I have an exam today and tomorrow so this thing will have to wait to be opened until like later this week >_____>

fixuis

Played the demo on the vita and then on the ps3, really amazing how well the vita version holds up, def gonna go for it. First time playing a sly game. Soo good. Does cross buy work both ways? Buy the vita ver and get ps3 free? Or have to buy ps3 ver only to get vita free?

Played the demo on the vita and then on the ps3, really amazing how well the vita version holds up, def gonna go for it. First time playing a sly game. Soo good. Does cross buy work both ways? Buy the vita ver and get ps3 free? Or have to buy ps3 ver only to get vita free?

Buy the Ps3 version, get the Vita version as a download.

TEJ

How are the minigames in this one?

I thought they were tolerable in sly 1....bad in sly 2, and I couldn't finish sly 3 because of them.

e_i

*Plugs disc into PS3*
*Select "Disc Benefits"*
"Disc benefits are not available at this time."

FUCK!

Top Bottom