• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

I played Janus in the MOTD today. I don't really like him. He does great damage if you can consistently land his 2, but still, his kit just feels weird. Very... supporty. I prefer burst mages (He Bo) or mages that push really well (Ao Kuang), and Janus really isn't either of those.

In other news, I finally decided to buy Chronos. I only got to play 1 game with him before work but it was great. Squishy as hell but he does a ton of damage late game and I love it. What items do you guys build on Chronos? I was thinking Pen Boots, Chronos' Pendant, Polynomicon, Demonic Grip, Rod of Tahuti.

Tabby

How do you guys feel about Siege getting trimmed to 4v4? Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I liked how it how it was.
Haven't played it yet because I've heard everyone complain about it but I really liked 5 v 5, changing it to 4 v 4 makes no sense to me.

I played the 4v4 Siege yesterday and had a lot of fun. Didn't seem too different to me. But then again we absolutely stomped our opponents so maybe it was a bad example.

drotahorror

ALL GODS unlocked this weekend for a few days.

Pretty cool for those who don't have the super cheap ultimate god pack or are on the fence about buying it.

Man, playing against a good Janus in Siege is a nightmare. His Portal + Unstable Vortex combo was just destroying us.

On a brighter note, I had an amazing first day with Chronos:

vCQyZql.png

I really didn't think I would like him that much, but he is super fun to play. His late game power is incredible.

its slower in pace i dont care for it im sure with all the hate its getting on the forums theyll change it back soon enough

edit: also pretty neat hope they make more of these for all the new gods but they got a making of janus video up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtsGe5EYID4

Thanks man, glad you liked it! This was initially a one-off video idea, but it seems like everyone's really liking it so far. May do another in the future, but I don't want them to repeat too much material.

Aaron

Played all day and couldn't get one decent team. I'm playing siege and winning my lane, while in the other lane two of my allies had died five times each already... before the five minute mark. Next match I got one of those players back, and he outdid himself by seven deaths before five minutes. You watch them just wade right into three enemy heroes, and wonder what possibly made them think that was a good idea.

Thanks man, glad you liked it! This was initially a one-off video idea, but it seems like everyone's really liking it so far. May do another in the future, but I don't want them to repeat too much material.
I thought it was pretty awesome too. I think it would be cool if you did shorter ones for each new god just focusing on their specific journey from conception to completion.

FYI. I'm that weird guy in the clan, Spiritreaver that never closes the game, lol. I always forget I have it open. I always feel bad when I see people talk to me in chat. :(

drotahorror

Is the arena anything like PvP in an MMO? I miss the days of WoW arenas.

As someone who did WoW arena religiously, Smite is the closest thing and it's amazing. The early game is a bit more pve centric but still requires strategy and you're able to get kills early on.

If you like WoW arena I recommend Joust mode (3v3), Arena (5v5), and the new Siege mode (4v4). I play Smite for those modes. I don't care for conquest, the games main mode.

I really didn't think I would like him that much, but he is super fun to play. His late game power is incredible.

yeah, in the late game he is an abomination. Hell, it's balanced in Conquest because he is weaker at first and some times you don't reach the very late game.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
FYI. I'm that weird guy in the clan, Spiritreaver that never closes the game, lol. I always forget I have it open. I always feel bad when I see people talk to me in chat. :(

same i some times leave it up while browsing gaf would be neat if they added a notification thing on your desktop like when you get an invite or your match is ready but for when you get a message or someone has replied to the clan tab

just cool to see what goes into making a new god think it would also be cool to see the voice work people in action

Aww, I finally got handed my first loss as Chronos. The other team played really well, I couldn't deal with all the CC.

But the most terrifying enemy team I've come up against in a long time was this one:

http://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=67811862

Two warriors, one tanky mage, one guardian, a 29k damage Janus, and a whole shitload of crowd control. They were super aggressive and we had no way to deal with their teamfight presence, it was just ridiculous.

yeah, in the late game he is an abomination. Hell, it's balanced in Conquest because he is weaker at first and some times you don't reach the very late game.

It's similarly balanced in Arena because for the first half of the match his wave clear is absolute trash and he doesn't really contribute anything to the teamfights. I just try to land my stun + nuke combo to help set up kills for others. But once I get that 4th/5th item... oh man it's on. It's so satisfying because I get shit on by the enemy assassin/hunter for half the match and then I suddenly turn the tables on them and burst them down. Sogood.gif

Wow, just had a game where the opposing team sent the ADC/support to solo lane, and the solo to duo lane lol. I felt so bad for that Apollo.

Also DMBrandon is a lot more entertaining when hirez filters his bming. He's been at Hirez studios all day today and hasn't cursed, talked shit, and is genuinely funny.

Tabby

So I was playing MOTD which was Janus 3 v 3 on Joust.
Somehow I had 2 afks 2 minutes into the game leaving me 1 v 3, and to make matters worse 2 of them had the same clan tag.

Pleasantly surprised they didn't completely kick my ass.
Ended up getting the most gold in the game, most positive KD ratio and they didn't even get past my phoenix.
Pro teams, I am free.

Also DMBrandon is a lot more entertaining when hirez filters his bming. He's been at Hirez studios all day today and hasn't cursed, talked shit, and is genuinely funny.

If he's not BMing, he's not DMBrandon.

drotahorror

Got my first penta this morning, the fifth kill was on a sleeping Kumbha and I was inside of a Cupid ult. Also, add me if you guys want to party up, I play alone all throughout the day 80% of the time.

Had an entire team of BMers today. I was playing AMC, our mana buff got contested and we lost it and my support immediately called me a noob. We were getting rocked in our lane and Kumba slept in our tower and I barely missed a kill on Apollo during it and he said I was trash, lol. So then I was like whatever, muting this guy for not being constructive.

I went on farming and enjoying myself.

Then the other lanes started getting demolished and our mid Zhong Kui started yelling at Kumba for trolling. They went at it for a while. Then out of nowhere he said I should be reported for trolling. Why I don't know, I was playing normally. Ra agreed and joined in the BMing.

That's when I had enough. I don't usually respond to BMers, but when I get hit with it hard enough I sort of snap.

I basically went off on the dude for the rest of the match hardcore. To the point where both ZK and Ra didn't have much to say by the end of the match.

Soooooo wish the game had voice chat though.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hurray! Just had the first PvP Arena game where I didn't actually suck. We won too.

We had to play on the US servers though - the EU ones were rubbish tonight.

Hey guys! First time posting in this thread, but I love Smite. I have probably put somewhere between 600-700 hours in it in a pretty short amount of time (since November). I had a friend write up a short editorial introducing new players to Smite, would it be ok to post that here? It is just about to be finished and is done by a very smart individual, so I was just wondering.

Also, I am currently maining Ares for some odd reason. Didn't really like him at the beginning, but I think he is awesome now. Ao Kuang is also one of my favorites currently, definitely my most played god.

Tabby

Hey guys! First time posting in this thread, but I love Smite. I have probably put somewhere between 600-700 hours in it in a pretty short amount of time (since November). I had a friend write up a short editorial introducing new players to Smite, would it be ok to post that here? It is just about to be finished and is done by a very smart individual, so I was just wondering.

I'd be interested in reading it, for sure.

A mighty shitstorm!

I played Scylla for the first time ever today. Got her in assault mode. She is so fucking easy to play it's almost depressing.

5 loss streak for me today. So many raging dickheads on my teams as well, ugh.

The worst was when I played Sobek. Man, when your team doesn't have any stuns/roots/burst to follow up his pulls, he is basically useless. Plus the enemy team had a Geb, whose shield is a huge counter to Sobek because it negates his pull. Even though I landed pull after pull, the enemy would just escape and we'd get stomped in the ensuing teamfight. And the best part was that my whole team blamed everything on me. Sigh.

Aaron

Had a Cupid raging on our team for having preset loadouts, which I thought was funny since Cupid is one of the easiest heroes to play. I went on to win the game pretty much single handed as Mercury, and that shut him up. Then I played a game trying out that south american monkey god, and my new random team just slaughtered the other players. I gave them a pity death I felt so bad for them.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm definitely getting better at this. It's tremendous fun.

Had a couple of games this morning before work and in the first one we had a few trolls on our team really going for it. After laughing along for a bit I thought I'd befriend one afterwards and it turned out he hadn't even played the game much before and mostly played Dota. I had a look at his stats and and he wasn't doing so well either. Bonkers! He was quite cheery and likeable, but sigh, kids these days.

Having a hard time finding a melee god I enjoy playing. I play a lot of mid/solo, but sometimes I would like the option of picking a physical god in solo lane if I need one for whatever reason.

Which physical gods even work in solo lane post-Janus?

Having a hard time finding a melee god I enjoy playing. I play a lot of mid/solo, but sometimes I would like the option of picking a physical god in solo lane if I need one for whatever reason.

Which physical gods even work in solo lane post-Janus?

Well, I would have told you Wukong, but I haven't used him since the update. Tyr and Chaac would also be along the same lines as Darth Monkeyman.

Phades

I have a hard time taking Vamana seriously. He seems to do alright and all that, but whenever he uses his ultimate and goes "Oohhh yeah" I keep thinking about the coolaid guy and wondering if there is a skin in the works for that...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Do you know if there's any way to get gems apart from money?

I'm going to support the devs and get the god pack, but I don't really fancy paying money so I can get the digimir skin.

Well, I would have told you Wukong, but I haven't used him since the update. Tyr and Chaac would also be along the same lines as Darth Monkeyman.

Even after the nerfs, Tyr is still very good. He has one of the best initiate combos in the game.

Do you know if there's any way to get gems apart from money?

Yes, though it's a little annoying/time-consuming. On the Hi-Rez website, they offer gems if you do various things for their sponsors. Go here and log in with your Smite account:

http://account.hirezstudios.com/rewards/smite.aspx

The ones that offer thousands of gems (mostly credit report sites) are all stuff you need to pay money for, so ignore those.

Every once in a while there will be a legit company that offers a good amount of gems if you join their free 1-month trial (you have to sign up with a credit card though). I did this with GameFly and Audible because I know they are reputable companies. I forget how many gems I got, I think it was between 400-600 for each. I signed up for the trials and got the gems in like one or two days. After that I just canceled my GameFly/Audible trial memberships so I didn't have to pay anything. This is the best way to get a lot of gems quickly. (And the Audible one is great because you get to download a free audiobook that you can keep, even after you cancel your membership. I'm actually a member now lol.)

The last way is more of a grind: doing surveys. A person on Reddit explained the best method:

1. Go to the SponsorPay tab and look for all the surveys that are anywhere from 60-67 gems payout. These are your best surveys, less than 7 min per survey and pretty quick payout. Around 80% success rate.

2. Take a screenshot of the offer that you completed with your name somewhere on the screenshot. That's why I suggest the 60 gem surveys the most because they provide your name and provided address on the completion page (Usually Bigbuck surveys).

3. If the sponsorpay surveys don't pay out go down to the bottom of the tap and click on support, it will direct you to Sponsorpays site where you can file a report for the non received gems. Almost every 60 gem survey will pay out as long as you file a claim.

4. Make sure to check out all links that offer 1-2 gems on peanut labs, sponsorpay, and radium one. Usually don't take more than about 30 seconds per offer.

Really in no time you should have plenty of gem without much effort. I'm pretty sure smite gets a cut from these guys so you can support the game without your credit card.

Just a warning: these survey companies sell your contact information to third parties. I won't link them here, but if you do a quick Google search you can find websites that generate fake US mail addresses and phone numbers. I recommend using a fake name, address, phone number, and throwaway email account to avoid getting spammed with junk mail. These companies remember your survey history so make sure to be consistent with your lies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Even after the nerfs, Tyr is still very good. He has one of the best initiate combos in the game.

Yes, though it's a little annoying/time-consuming. On the Hi-Rez website, they offer gems if you do various things for their sponsors. Go here and log in with your Smite account:

http://account.hirezstudios.com/rewards/smite.aspx

The ones that offer thousands of gems (mostly credit report sites) are all stuff you need to pay money for, so ignore those.

Every once in a while there will be a legit company that offers a good amount of gems if you join their free 1-month trial (you have to sign up with a credit card though). I did this with GameFly and Audible because I know they are reputable companies. I forget how many gems I got, I think it was between 400-600 for each. I signed up for the trials and got the gems in like one or two days. After that I just canceled my GameFly/Audible trial memberships so I didn't have to pay anything. This is the best way to get a lot of gems quickly. (And the Audible one is great because you get to download a free audiobook that you can keep, even after you cancel your membership. I'm actually a member now lol.)

The last way is more of a grind: doing surveys. A person on Reddit explained the best method:

Just a warning: these survey companies sell your contact information to third parties. I won't link them here, but if you do a quick Google search you can find websites that generate fake US mail addresses and phone numbers. I recommend using a fake name, address, phone number, and throwaway email account to avoid getting spammed with junk mail. These companies remember your survey history so make sure to be consistent with your lies.

Hey thanks! That's really helpful.

http://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=69495593

What a strange Joust match. We were doing great until the last ~5 minutes when Apollo suddenly got really strong. It felt like he went from average dude to superhero status in the blink of an eye. We made a last stand comeback at our phoenix and managed to kill Ymir and Anubis, but then Apollo jumps in and kills all three of us, pushes to our Titan, his teammates respawn and Apollo kills us once again after we respawn and they win.

I didn't even feel like he had a great item build, but I guess I'll have to try it out.

Hey thanks! That's really helpful.

[VVGR] No problem

Top Bottom