• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hey - is there a good time when most of the clan are online? I'm on UK timezones so never quite sure.

Had a couple more good games tonight. Definitely liking Ymir - I really enjoy helping others get kills - maybe almost a bit too much. I seem to finish each game with 30-40 assists, maybe 1 or 2 deaths and maybe 1 or 2 kills. Hmm.

I'm in a winning streak, 8th win in row. Including a full 4vs5 Assault game where our fifth player never connected.

We're opposites!

UxKrG28.png

Matchmaking is so weird. I go on winning streaks and losing streaks, all the time. It was the same in Dota 2. Why can't they just match you up with people of similar skill? Instead, I either stomp or get stomped.

We're opposites!

Matchmaking is so weird. I go on winning streaks and losing streaks, all the time. It was the same in Dota 2. Why can't they just match you up with people of similar skill? Instead, I either stomp or get stomped.

Once, they explained that it seems one of the determining factors of why games sometimes aren't even in skill, it's because it depends a lot of the played god. So it isn't like player A has a skill level of 4, but he has a skill level of 2 with this god, a level of 5 with that one, and a level 3 with this other one. And the matchmaking can't know what god is going to be played by the player, so it can't factor it in the calculations.

fuzaco

I just got into an arena game where I was with a 4-man premade. They weren't good, but I wouldn't have cared until they started blaming me, saying that it would be great if I did something, one of them saying that Janus (me) is just autoattacking and using his 2 on low HP targets, and another one saying "we know that".

I did 33k player damage, while their highest was 15k. I hate these kind of people so much.

I just got into an arena game where I was with a 4-man premade. They weren't good, but I wouldn't have cared until they started blaming me, saying that it would be great if I did something, one of them saying that Janus (me) is just autoattacking and using his 2 on low HP targets, and another one saying "we know that".

I did 33k player damage, while their highest was 15k. I hate these kind of people so much.

It really blows my mind. I had a similar experience recently as Sobek. I was playing really well, landing my Charge Prey almost every time it came off cooldown, perfectly setting up my teammates, using Tail Whip to distract the enemy, and so on. Yet, for some reason when we started losing everyone decided to blame me. They didn't even consider the fact that 1) maybe they weren't playing very well and deserve some of the blame, or 2) our opponents had a way better team composition, or 3) our opponents may just be outplaying us. I don't understand how people can go through their lives believing that they aren't at fault for stuff, and that it's always on someone else.

fuzaco

did you point that out at the end that usually shuts them down

I did. One of them actually said something like " we know we're bad :)", and another one said something about ks'ing. I just ended up blocking them all, so hopefully I won't ever get in a game with them anymore (is that how it even works?).

drotahorror

I can't stand people that bitch about KS'ing. I went 22-1 in a Siege, and this poseidon went 2-5 and complained about me KSing the entire game. I did 40,000 dmg, I think I earned a few kills.

In my opinion, kills are fair game. I would rather secure a kill then take a chance of them getting away. Today I let someone I was playing try to get a kill that I felt like he earned, but we ended up both dying under a tower when I could have easily secured the kill.

I can't stand people that bitch about KS'ing. I went 22-1 in a Siege, and this poseidon went 2-5 and complained about me KSing the entire game. I did 40,000 dmg, I think I earned a few kills.

In my opinion, kills are fair game. I would rather secure a kill then take a chance of them getting away. Today I let someone I was playing try to get a kill that I felt like he earned, but we ended up both dying under a tower when I could have easily secured the kill.

You would be correct. While last hits do matter, it is far more important that someone secure the kills. If someone bitches about it, tell them to learn how to secure their kills.

gogosox82

Yeah I hate it too, even when it isn't me their complaining about. I had an arena game where this anubis starting bitching about neith ks'ing. Neith apologized but not before I said she's 6-0 and is doing a ton of damage to them, its ok if she gets more kills than you and it doesn't matter as long as we win. He agreed and stopped complaining. I noticed at the end of the match, he did the lowest damage and went 4-6-1 while Neith went 22-1 and did like 50,000 player damage.

Man. I am having a hard time with Vulcan in solo. I can do really well if I bully the other laner. He's great for that, but if the other person is also really aggressive I have a hard time dealing with it. Like I have no clue what to do when someone is on my ass.

I was having issues with an Athena in solo lane and idk why. I probably shoudl've been placing my turrent facing behind me because she would zip then do her taunt + ring. By mid game it was starting to hurt.

I just ended up waiting till she did her ring then pushed the wave after. My team gave me shit though when she killed me a couple times, lol.

I think I just panic too much when people get aggressive.

EDIT: I just tried a match where I leveled my 3 before my 2 and it helped a lot. Early game 3-1 combo hits much harder if you put points into the 3. I wrecked a Sun Wukong in laning with it.

Before this I was maxing 4-1-2-3. I don't know why, turret damage is so easily avoided and isn't needed to clear.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
dont bother with his turret his 1 and his 3 are amazing also to help while you are being chased you can drop your 3 on yourself and turn around real fast and shoot them with your 1 to knock you back and do some damage to them then you can drop your turret for a little extra damage but dont bother leveling it up first a point into it at most its really useless and easily destroyed

edit: also when you do use your turret for wave clear make sure you place it like you would a amc hive right at the entrance of the jungle so the enemy god has a hard time hitting it

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
think hes missing the smugness of the old model wish they worked that in it was so good and went well with his taunts and jokes

The old model has some air of "plastic doll" model, the skin wasn't realistic and it didn't have the best 3d model. And the design was truly more based on a modern concept of muscle addicts (including tanned oily aspect to highlight the muscles) than in the old myth of Hercules. Problem is, the new face is a bit boring.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Think getting hang of Artemis now - last two games I ended with highest performance out of team! Very satisfying once she gets powered up and the boar + 2 combination is almost insta-kill. I also want her outfit too!

drotahorror

Is smite messed up or something?

When I go to put my password in it will only let met type one character. Also if I erase my username it will only let me put one character in. Copying password and control V'ing it doesn't work either.

Man, is it bad that I'm almost 30 and still miss a lot of skillshots on adcs/assassins? I'm still really bad at narrow skillshots and it hurts my game a lot if I'm forced into adc/jungle.

Maybe I should force myself to only play ADC for a week.

Indignate

Man, is it bad that I'm almost 30 and still miss a lot of skillshots on adcs/assassins? I'm still really bad at narrow skillshots and it hurts my game a lot if I'm forced into adc/jungle.

Practice certainly helps.

Any particular characters or abilities you're having trouble with?

Practice certainly helps.

Any particular characters or abilities you're having trouble with?
I was struggling hardcore earlier as Cupid. I would either miss a heart bomb or hit the wrong target. Also I can't hit Loki's ult from a distance for the life of me. Maybe my mouse sensitivity is too high or something.

I've been level 30 for a long time now, it has to be close to a year, and I still miss skillshots like crazy. I also find Loki's ult really difficult to land, I'm glad someone else has that problem. It's so embarrassing when I whiff it and land helpless behind enemy lines lol. Thanatos' 1 is really hard for me to land. Same with Ao Kuang's 1, and I play Ao Kuang all the time.

So no, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Hard skillshots are hard.

Phades

The wind up/release for them are all different, even though that the tempo of the character, animation wise, would suggest otherwise.

The top down view and delay for release on things like Thor's ultimate and where certain other wide radius items actually hit (towers, scylla's trap), throw me off all the time and sometimes really pisses me off. How the game determines priority is also off putting at times (use a skill, animation goes off, mana gets used then oops wait nothing happened because something else got priority and all of that gets rewound to its prior state....).

Liberty4all

Banned
IMHO the key to getting better in Smite is knowing when to run, understanding your escapes, and when to initiate without dying.

Phades

That seems like a rather wordy way of saying "knowing group dynamics makes you better". Others stated previously, in a similar fashion, that knowing item builds/counter builds makes you better as well.

All other things being equal, a game of this nature ultimately comes down to execution. Knowledge and intuitive aspects are seperate topics really. Sadly, with the way gold is earned and item sales, it almost seems like it would be more interesting of a game where the characters were either fully customizable pre-built or a more on the fly approach similar to the Hi-rez implementation of Tribes.

No matter though, since I'm not really interested in debating genre familiarity versus experimentation.

IMHO the key to getting better in Smite is knowing when to run, understanding your escapes, and when to initiate without dying.

Yep. Knowing when to attack, when to defend, when you need to go to your mate's lane to help him and when it's better to stay on yours, when to run away because the situations isn't worth it, when to try a gank, etc is the most important thing, over the pure execution of abilities (skillshots, avoiding damage, hitting basic attacks consistently).

Yep. Knowing when to attack, when to defend, when you need to go to your mate's lane to help him and when it's better to stay on yours, when to run away because the situations isn't worth it, when to try a gank, etc is the most important thing, over the pure execution of abilities (skillshots, avoiding damage, hitting basic attacks consistently).
This advice can be applied to every single game with a meta and honestly isn't all that helpful. I don't mean to offend.

You're basically saying, knowing how to play the game is more important than having accuracy. I can't for the life of me know if any game that isn't like this. I play lots of fighters, I know the meta and knowledge of the game itself play much more of an important role than simply being able to be consistent.

Here's the thing though. You get better at games by focusing on what you do wrong and in games like these you can't be universally aware of everything you are doing wrong, especially as a newcomer. Instead you focus on 1-2 things you do poorly and work on getting better at that.

tldr I didn't ask how to get better at the game, I asked how do I get better at landing skillshots. It is extremely frustrating for me when I know I can secure an oppurtunity at something, but I fail simply because I don't land a skill.

EDIT: I hope my post doesn't sound aggressive in any way. Not trying to be rude to help offered. I appreciate all advice. I wrote this in a tad cranky mood, lol.

Top Bottom