• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Oh man, comebacks are simply the best. I just won an Arena match where we had been losing by around 50 points the whole time. Near the end we managed to narrow the gap and it was 2-10, and the final blow came when the enemy Tyr was running toward us to blink in, and I hit him with my (He Bo) 3 and knocked him into us, Artemis ulted and we killed him, and then her boar stunned the enemy Chronos and Ra ulted and killed him with Ra-merica hyperbeam.

ILOuyAS.gif

He Bo is the ultimate high risk, high reward god. He does so much damage but he goes down in the blink of an eye if an enemy assassin jumps him. The enemy Ratatoskr would dash in and chunk about 90% of my HP before I could do anything. Thanatos would silence me and then it was all over. But if I can land my 3 on an enemy it pretty much guarantees I can land my 1 and chunk away about half of their HP with that quick combo.

Heatseeker2

Neo Member
If anyone wants to play on Xbox please add me GT: Heatseeker2. I may not be the best player, but I'm no scrub either. I'd love to start playing with others and become stronger. I have been enjoying my free medusa rental for the last 20 or so matches.

Make sure you Xbox players are checking the "event center" for the daily reward and level up rewards. Not the most intuitive place to put them in my opinion.

Indignate

Nyx showing up in more games.

I know you can't copyright a dung beetle, I just think it's funny that every moba has one, well except for League cuz you can't put boobs on a beetle.

Dota 2
dota_2_nyx_assassin_by_synergy14-d6iyoup.jpg

Hots
anubarak_flat1920x.jpg

Dota
character.gif

Indignate

Need to see Awilix skin in game.

Life may or may not yet be complete.

Edit: It's...fine. Nothing terrific, plus it takes away her natural voice pack which is my favorite thing about her. I always never bother to check, but did they ever implement a way to use different voice packs with different skins?

drotahorror

Need to see Awilix skin in game.

Life may or may not yet be complete.

Edit: It's...fine. Nothing terrific, plus it takes away her natural voice pack which is my favorite thing about her. I always never bother to check, but did they ever implement a way to use different voice packs with different skins?

Yeah you can use the default voice pack with any god skin. Can't use god skin VP on anything other than the god skin though.

All of those new skins look great.

Can't wait to get the retro Herc skin. I just reached 200 gems from the weekly rewards too, so I can buy the voicepack! Kinda tempted to wait until there's a sale though, since sometimes they put voicepacks at half off...

Special C

So Xbox just got the big conquest change patch. What's the meta on PC like with mid harpies at 10s and HoG Nerf? Also is executionor still viable?

What's the meta on PC like with mid harpies at 10s and HoG Nerf? Also is executionor still viable?

It's still in flux and in most casual games you'll see people do the old standard one.

The main possibility of a new one if from Incon (support/captain of AFK). Supp and adc do back camps and purple then go to lane. Mid and jungle do other back camp, speed then both go to mid lane. Solo does blue then goes to lane.

Mid and jungle will then do mid camps and red after clearing their first wave or when they can.

Hog is not really picked up anymore as other actives are seen to have a better use for the jungler/support.

Indignate

They did that thing where they nerfed an item into the ground where it won't be used anymore.

These guys are really good at balance.

Sad to see Drybear moving to a new game. While most of his gods were released extremely overpowered, they are probably some of the most fun gods in the game period.

Also I didn't know Hi-rez was working on a new game. RUH ROH.

drotahorror

Sad to see Drybear moving to a new game. While most of his gods were released extremely overpowered, they are probably some of the most fun gods in the game period.

Also I didn't know Hi-rez was working on a new game. RUH ROH.

I think they showed a bit during the summer finals. Looks like either a first person moba (with some 3rd person elements) or a first/third person pvp game similar to Overwatch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-YmUARNE9o A couple clips can be seen there.

Is Drybear moving to that new game, or moving to a different studio not related to Hi Rez?

Btw, Smite on XB1 needs a lot of work. I've given it a fair shot and will still probably play it randomly but it's kind of bad.

The framerate is awful, 30fps with drops all the time or it has horrific frame pacing. One of the two, it's BAD. It feels very sluggish especially when you get 3+ Gods on the screen. They really need to lower the graphics. Turn the shadows off for starters. Would be great if they just offered graphic settings like PC to help with performance.

Everything else is decent but takes some time getting used to. Like buying items is not fast for me. I would need to setup an item builder thing for every God for it to be anywhere near as quick as PC. But that's cool, it works about as well as it can. Solid design. VGS commands are nice and it feels fairly intuitive. I will say the camera is too close to the Gods though. Should be an option to pull back a bit, makes the FOV even more narrow and the God takes up too much screen space. The controls are difficult at first (and some things still are, like aiming abilities like scylla's crush, anubis grasping hands, Poseidon ult, basically anything that you can move along the Y axis is hard to aim for me).

I dunno, just my thoughts on the XB1 version. Voice chat is great too but it's usually just me on there bitching at people since no one else uses mic's. Framerate is the biggest issue. A game focused on competitive multiplayer HAS to have a steady framerate. If it was a consistent 30fps even, I wouldn't have complained as much. I still think xb1 can achieve 60 though, with lower quality graphics it should be doable.

Btw, Smite on XB1 needs a lot of work. I've given it a fair shot and will still probably play it randomly but it's kind of bad.

I share your a lot of your dislikes for Smite on Xbox One, but I really like how it controls. Turning on normal casting makes the controls feel really nice, at least in my opinion.

Biggest dislike is definitely the framerate. I first played Smite on Xbox One a few months back, and noticed the 30 FPS immediately. I stopped playing it for a few months and recently went back to see what had changed, and the framerate still had not changed. It definitely has a ways to go, but I think it has potential to be pretty damn good.

drotahorror

Yea it's got potential on xb1 for sure.

What doesn't have potential is matchmaking on PC. It's the afternoon I figured there would be more people playing but NOPE. I get level 11's and 13's on my team on Assault against a full team of 30's. That's not fair at all. Of course they proceed to feed like crazy.

Indignate

HiRez have shown that they're able to handle simultaneous development of two games in the past so I'm not worried at all.

At all.

Not even a little.

Whatsoever.

Took advantage of the double worshipers to master Osiris, a.k.a. the most useless piece of shit warrior (for Arena at least) in the entire game. Every other warrior brings more to the table for the team than Osiris. Any decent enemy team will just cc and burst your ass down with magic damage before you can kill anyone with your auto-attacks. He has no speed buff, his stun takes 4 seconds to activate and most gods can dash or leap away from it, and his only escape is his ult. Thank christ almighty I finally mastered him. I'm never playing that stupid ass god again.

*Edit: On a brighter note, I finally tried out Awilix and really liked her. She is extremely satisfying to play because she shuts down those annoying jumpy gods like Bastet and Neith with her ult.

HiRez have shown that they're able to handle simultaneous development of two games in the past so I'm not worried at all.

At all.

Not even a little.

Whatsoever.

I remember one of the Hi-Rez devs made a post saying that Smite is their first profitable game. They lost money on Global Agenda and they barely broke even with Tribes Ascend. That being the case, I'm not too worried about their support for Smite. It's making them a ton of money.

Kalentan

Been playing Smite on XBO, convinced every Anhur is a troll. I've yet to see a good one, all of them just feed and feed. I'm level 21 but they play like it's their first match ever. I dread anytime someone picks Anhur.

Despite being level 21, I swear I get paired with level 1s.

Took advantage of the double worshipers to master Osiris, a.k.a. the most useless piece of shit warrior (for Arena at least) in the entire game. Every other warrior brings more to the table for the team than Osiris. Any decent enemy team will just cc and burst your ass down with magic damage before you can kill anyone with your auto-attacks. He has no speed buff, his stun takes 4 seconds to activate and most gods can dash or leap away from it, and his only escape is his ult. Thank christ almighty I finally mastered him. I'm never playing that stupid ass god again.

Haven't tried Ravana yet? I've only had him twice and both were in the random motds (I ain't gonna pick him if I can help it).

Some warriors can do damage, some can tank, Ravana can do neither of these things. I could kinda see his playstyle being sort of fun to play but only if it had any effect on the outcome of the game.

Been playing Smite on XBO, convinced every Anhur is a troll. I've yet to see a good one, all of them just feed and feed. I'm level 21 but they play like it's their first match ever. I dread anytime someone picks Anhur.

To be fair, Anhur is one of the most difficult hunters to play. But that usually doesn't justify feeding.

Haven't tried Ravana yet? I've only had him twice and both were in the random motds (I ain't gonna pick him if I can help it).

Some warriors can do damage, some can tank, Ravana can do neither of these things. I could kinda see his playstyle being sort of fun to play but only if it had any effect on the outcome of the game.

I have not tried Ravana, because I saw that he was an auto-attack based god like Osiris so I stayed away. Sounds like I made the right decision.

Kalentan

To be fair, Anhur is one of the most difficult hunters to play. But that usually doesn't justify feeding.

Is there a way to check the rank of allies? Cause I really want to know if I'm playing with new players. In so many of my matches they play like they've just been handed the controller for the first time.

Is there a way to check the rank of allies? Cause I really want to know if I'm playing with new players. In so many of my matches they play like they've just been handed the controller for the first time.

Go here and enter your in-game name. It will give you the option to view your recent matches and see what level the other guys in your team were: http://smite.guru/

drotahorror

I transferred my 30 account to xb1 and afaik, I've never played with a 30 on xb1 ever. It seems like every person is playing their first game. I use my headset and talk to them (usually only one talking) but nothing goes through to them at all. Probably just mute me since I end up bitching half the game.

Does this one work for xbox if you input your account name or theirs?

https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/stats.aspx

Doesn't work for xb1 profiles nope.

I love the Three Musketeers Freya skin. I might pick it up.

Khepri God card.

I'm so so happy they're doing more monstrous creatures. Hope this trend continues. The next god that was datamined also seems to go this route, so that's cool.
Also since I like to play tanks, Khepri will be fun I hope.

I love the Three Musketeers Freya skin. I might pick it up.

I think the Freya skin is in a chest so it might cost a bit if you intend to grab it.

Also since I like to play tanks, Khepri will be fun I hope.

When they showed him off on the livestream he didn't seem like he would work to me. After watching a couple of people play him (mainly Incon) he does seem like a lot of fun if a little over tuned.

His waveclear (his 2) has a very small mana cost so it looks like he'll be hard to out push in lane, plus is does decent damage. He could work well in solo once people get the hang of him.

I think the Freya skin is in a chest so it might cost a bit if you intend to grab it.

That's alright. I have a lot of the skins that are put in chests with the exclusive ones, and if not that's okay too. I do intend to buy a big chunk of gems to get the summer stuff and the Dr. Vanus skin. :)

When they showed him off on the livestream he didn't seem like he would work to me. After watching a couple of people play him (mainly Incon) he does seem like a lot of fun if a little over tuned.

His waveclear (his 2) has a very small mana cost so it looks like he'll be hard to out push in lane, plus is does decent damage. He could work well in solo once people get the hang of him.

I only play Arena, so yeah. :p

Special C

I just went 14-5 as Anhur in Xbox 30 min ago. Still lost because we had a 0-12 Zeus in mid....

He was actually my second mastered God.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
New Nix, I mean Nox, I mean.. *ahem* She's great for me, finally on XB1. That perfect amount of crazy skill-based control that I enjoy on someone like Janus, but in a much less annoying way that takes enemies out of other gods otherwise well-timed assistance.

Since I'm playing more Joust and Arena, jumping in to "Bring the Cavalry" isn't happening as much with Global alts, I've spent a lot more time making things like Odin's Leap EVEN MORE LETHAL, which is quite satisfying. Much like Aphro, she just seems to make solid characters even better, basically. Increasing stuns for characters that have them, making leaps stronger, having a quick way to tag people who are escaping from near death runs with her re-tuned Alt, silencing entire groups who are already stuck in damaging fields like Ymir or Cupid Ult... it's just nuts.

----

On the other hand... Ravana... why? He seems like a completely worthless choice besides a Warrior like Chaac or Bellona. I love the idea that he's this close up melee fighter, but his stuff has such limited range, weird activation times that lag, and his ult doesn't strike fear in anyone at all. He's completely lacking in any hype to play, which REALLY sucks. He should have a locking skill-combo effect that keeps people stunned as he chains his skills together, and his ult should turn into an up-turned super if he combos more skills together more consistently, Shin Shoryuken style. As he is now, he just feels like an empty, non-fully realized concept.

----

I love Anhur's voice, and he was one of the Hunters I really clasped on to early on... when I first saw SHIFTING SANDS, I thought it was an ult due to the size. Pass that though, I never feel like his actual ult does enough damage, his leap feels nearly useless for anything other than escape, and his spear throw needing walls (which can be provided by ShiftSand) is a bit annoying, to the point where it never feels like a threat from most people who play him, as only the best actually land the thing.

The increase in players for him that have his Summer Of Smite skin has been really funny... because I see no reason why people who haven't played him before should want to spend so much money as to get that skin. Maybe if they gave him a buff along with it's introduction?

----

Then lastly, Khepri... Oooo, a new guardian that actually might have people playing the role! Save for the Hades and Ares players, it seems like most people on X1 still avoid guardians. I get tired of always switching to Athena when I feel like playing another role! Khepri looks very fun. The Sun-locking stun is an interesting but odd concept, but the Buff-debuff blessing ability seems very cool, and his Dung-Beetle grab should be enjoyable to use. An ult that perfects newbie player suicide runs is quite a blessing, too.

Oh, and the new skins look great. Awilix FINALLY has something new, and it's awesome! As much as I used to love Knight Rider (I even had the Power Wheels when I was young!) I really like the idea. I think I hear a little of Awi's usual voice and upbeat sweetness in K.A.T. on occasion.

Muskateer Freya sounds like Athena. I can deal with that.

Car-bracken seems cool. He didn't leave a huge impressions on me, but I think I'll like to hear him while playing.

Top Bottom