• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Starting to think my only option will be going to the shitty dilapidated KMART by me on launch day to see if they get any.

When I saw the tweet about them being available in store at GameStop, I immediately took lunch and drove 10min down the road to the closest one. Was 7th in line until a dude left so I was sixth. I think that puts me comfortably in the "they will have enough to fulfill preorders on launch day" range.

zulux21

Does anyone still think Best Buy has a shot? They're the last one still saying "coming soon," but I know about last night's late-night-preorders.

9 times out of 10 coming soon is just a place holder until they confirm they can't get more stock and then it becomes sold out.

So is it too soon to say this is worse than the NES classic situation?

yeah given we don't know if this is just a preorder stock issue or if it will be a general stock issue.

nintendo could be pushing hard for stores to sell them in store at launch so could be holding back most of the stock for that.

DJChuy

I'm amazed how quickly word spread out about pre-ordering an SNES in store at GameStop. When I saw it on GAF, I instantly took off and arrived in 5 minutes. At that time, a line was forming behind me and calls kept pouring in. Crazy!

Whew, Gamestop in-store pre-orders saving my life for the thousandth time. I'd have an NES classic as well if they had done in-store pre-orders.

This is where I'm at. Artificial demand makes no sense. These things cost next to nothing to make and they had the NES Classic to learn from. I think they're just dumb as hell.

It does, because look at this thread. Under shipping makes it so when people DO see one, or have the opportunity to buy one they will do so because of perceived rarity. The other part of that, and the part that's important to nintendo is two-fold. First, this insures that people will snap up the product the minute they can get it. Second, for retailers, this means that they won't be stuck holding stock on something that won't move. This was Nintendo's strategy through the 80s and 90s, and it appears that after over shipping the Wii U that they're returning to the strategy of under shipping a hot product so demand is ravenous.

Bottom line, Nintendo knows there is demand, they aren't a stupid company and this is what they do to hedge bets so there's no left over stock that they have to deal with, and retailers won't have to deal with these things sitting on shelves forever like they did with the Wii U. And watch, if they do a mini n64 or game cube it's going to be the same thing. People will lose their shit over trying to get one of those if no one can get an SNES mini. The cycle just repeats at that point.

tbm24

So is it too soon to say this is worse than the NES classic situation?
If nothing else, this has disheartened me from the snes classic and it's a shame as it's my favorite console. I just want to play some classic games, not spend my work day fighting the internet to buy the fucking thing. I wouldn even care as much if Nintendo gave me my VC games on my Switch.

maxcriden

yeah given we don't know if this is just a preorder stock issue or if it will be a general stock issue.

nintendo could be pushing hard for stores to sell them in store at launch so could be holding back most of the stock for that.

That is definitely the utmost hope at this point. Nintendo promised a lot more stock, hopefully that will hold true for non preorders as well.

molnizzle

That is definitely the utmost hope at this point. Nintendo promised a lot more stock, hopefully that will hold true for non preorders as well.

Just like they promise more stock for Amiibo.

Face it, they do this shit on purpose. It's profitable even if it makes the fans miserable.

Fuck Nintendo.

It does, because look at this thread. Under shipping makes it so when people DO see one, or have the opportunity to buy one they will do so because of perceived rarity. The other part of that, and the part that's important to nintendo is two-fold. First, this insures that people will snap up the product the minute they can get it. Second, for retailers, this means that they won't be stuck holding stock on something that won't move. This was Nintendo's strategy through the 80s and 90s, and it appears that after over shipping the Wii U that they're returning to the strategy of under shipping a hot product so demand is ravenous.

Bottom line, Nintendo knows there is demand, they aren't a stupid company and this is what they do to hedge bets so there's no left over stock that they have to deal with, and retailers won't have to deal with these things sitting on shelves forever like they did with the Wii U. And watch, if they do a mini n64 or game cube it's going to be the same thing. People will lose their shit over trying to get one of those if no one can get an SNES mini. The cycle just repeats at that point.

I just don't understand why Nintendo wouldn't rather make a fuckload more money than have their products be "special" to have. What good does that really do them?

JakeD

Anybody got through the gamestop app? I've been stuck on the checkout/add to cart screen for 20 min.

same. interesting though, the $99 does seem to be out of stock. while the other ones available. so that tells me someone is getting orders through somehow

TARGET BACK.

Just got one confirmed.

Target Link

EDIT: I was just steady refreshing that page, clicking on "Add to Cart" every couple minutes. Finally went through. Checkout did not hang at all. I got a confirmation number, but have not received an email yet.

EDIT 2: Received confirmation email about a minute later.

lmfao this is what my ass gets for actually doing work at work

Boke1879

I'm amazed how quickly word spread out about pre-ordering an SNES in store at GameStop. When I saw it on GAF, I instantly took off and arrived in 5 minutes. At that time, a line was forming behind me and calls kept pouring in. Crazy!

It's the internet. Word travels fast these days.

iclash

I went back to Target.com in the last 10 minutes and was able to get my initial order through, shows in my order history. I wonder if they are staggering these throughout the day.

spad3

CHECK AT A STORE PEOPLE.

It has been an hour, so chances are slim, but CHECK AT A STORE.

There are some stores that have less traffic and even after staff trying to self-reserve, they still have some open.

Nintendo could very well have been telling the truth saying they shipped more SNESes than the NES Classics... the problem is the fact that the NES Classic wasn't communicated to be a limited stock product, while the SNES was. Just by virtue of them coming right out and saying there will be limited quantities, they practically invited even more scalpers/bots to take advantage. People already anticipated an NES Classic situation going in.

I have a feeling there will be very few people who really want the SNES classic, who are really passionate about it, who will be able to just pay 79.99 for it. And that is a tremendous failure on Nintendo's part in my book. They'll reap the money from doing this, but it's a tremendous "f**k you" to their fans.

Top Bottom