• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Oh crap, guess I better play it safe, then. I've never had an order moved, let alone cancelled because I used a gift card to help pay some of it off.

It might have happened to me because I did it a couple weeks before release but either way I would play it extremely safe with something like this lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ock6k1d.jpg
k0CtRKw.gif

yes!!!

Maengun1

Yay my amazon order updated too
AU7Amsc.gif
EWmof.gif

I'm a huge skeptic most of the time so I wasn't even gonna order it but this thread convinced me lol
EWmof.gif
I figured I'm up, it's here, they don't charge 'til it ships ...

based this thread/wario64
EWmof.gif

Lace

I do believe that those who ordered >2 systems on Amazon should have their total order decreased. Who knows though, this entire journey has been a roller coaster, Amazon might cancel all orders or leave it exactly how it is.

I was lucky to get a preorder in with Target, but there was no rhyme or reason for that success. Everything has been pure luck to secure any order.

ReyVGM

Yeah, better not mess with the payment method. I had a Zelda Breath of the Wild Master Edition preordered back then, and I tried to change the shipping address and it asked to verify my payment info, twice. When I did, it canceled my order due to some error. That's how I lost one of my most important and anticipated releases in years.

Wait, was there a second wave off Amazon preorders that came and went or are people finally getting confirmation of the orders that went up in wee hours of the morning?

I mean I'm answering my own question assimingly but...they can do that?

Late edited my post.. i've been wondering the same thing actually. Assuming they sold a good deal of their allocated preorders to their other company-owned site to sell additional BS at a much higher price.

Someone chime in, but that whole ordeal didn't sound like it was legal. lol wya law-gaf

Wait, was there a second wave off Amazon preorders that came and went or are people finally getting confirmation of the orders that went up in wee hours of the morning?

it was just official confirmation of the first wave from that morning.

Why would bundling be illegal?

Well the gamestop site got "overloaded" enough for them to shut it down and slap a redirect button to their other site in which preorders are ONLY sold with bundles at a much higher price. I'm assuming Gamestop sold/transferred a good portion or all of their online preorders to ThinkGeek. That way they can tack on stuff ad sell it a much bigger price. For me, the gamestop site was pretty much down before preorder time was even up.

shady as hell.

did anyone here get an online preorder in from Gamestop.com?

rudger

I have a friend who tends to preorder as much of this shit as he can and scalp it during the holidays (I've bitched at him about this for years - nothing I can do at this point). He called me yesterday shocked at how things went down. He'd never seen anything like it. The mislabeled amazon listing. The in person or app only preorder at GameStop. The shitty bundles. The repeated losing out within seconds of putting an item in his cart. This is a guy who sold dozens of NES minis. I don't think Nintendo allocating more units would have done much of anything. Bots would've swallowed them up in 20 seconds instead of 10.

Edit:
Well the gamestop site got "overloaded" enough for them to shut it down and slap a redirect button to their other site in which preorders are ONLY sold with bundles at a much higher price. I'm assuming Gamestop sold/transferred a good portion or all of their online preorders to ThinkGeek. That way they can tack on stuff ad sell it a much bigger price. For me, the gamestop site was pretty much down before preorder time was even up.

shady as hell.

They shut it down cause it was crashing their whole system. Again, bots.

It's exactly like when food and medicine gets air dropped into a third world country, but the warlords scoop it all up before the civilians can get any.

Horns

shady as hell.

Thinkgeek was sold out by the time it was overloaded. Still, it was shitty of them to bundle.

I got my SNES classic pre-order through Gamestop in person, went on my lunch break at work. Was pretty painless actually, there was zero line and I was in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes.

But yeah in person it was just normal $79.99. The clerk was on the phone calling people on their call list saying they only had 5 left.

I didn't even expect to get one and was unable to get a pre-order online. I was pretty surprised to get it.

I got my SNES classic pre-order through Gamestop in person, went on my lunch break at work. Was pretty painless actually, there was zero line and I was in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes.

But yeah in person it was just normal $79.99. The clerk was on the phone calling people on their call list saying they only had 5 left.

I didn't even expect to get one and was unable to get a pre-order online. I was pretty surprised to get it.

Honestly dude I'm very happy for you :)

Now the only question is what Amazon does with people who ordered a ton.

Nothing. Thy went and updated the link for them. If they wanted they could've done something about when they did mass update.

Only a matter of time now before Amazon starts clearing out multiple orders and reducing to 1 per account.

If they don't do anything about it I'm gonna regret I didn't take more advantage of it... That's thousands of dollars work of profit easy $_$

TrojanAg

I'm sure Amazon will have more opportunities down the road, but they may likely require a Prime membership. That's the only way I was able to get an NES Classic, because of my Prime membership. I had all but given up on it.

Thinkgeek was sold out by the time it was overloaded. Still, it was shitty of them to bundle.

IRRC It wasn't. Atleast the timeline in this thread was that the ThinkGeek bundles got posted long after the Gamestop site was messing up. When I checked half the bundles were still available. Gamestop's site was messing up hours before they even announced the preorders were up

DeathPeak

My Amazon order is still showing the original "Digital Downloads/Game Trust" listing in my orders. It links me to the correct listing. Hopefully it changes soon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My Amazon order is still showing the original "Digital Downloads/Game Trust" listing in my orders. It links me to the correct listing. Hopefully it changes soon.
If it has the picture of the box & links you to the actual page, you should be good. The actual name hasn't changed for me, but the pic & link changes seem to confirm that Amazon will fulfill your pre-order.

inner-G

Banned
If it has the picture of the box & links you to the actual page, you should be good. The actual name hasn't changed for me, but the pic & link changes seem to confirm that Amazon will fulfill your pre-order.
Amazon takes care of you when you buy straight from them

That's why I took a chance even though the listing looked kind of shady

Zia

Random question, but since I've now (hopefully, God) secured an SNES Classic I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try to get an NES Classic. Is counterfeiting a problem? I saw some Chinese listings on eBay that were obviously fake ("500 games!") but I'm scared of convincing fakes.

orborborb

Random question, but since I've now (hopefully, God) secured an SNES Classic I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try to get an NES Classic. Is counterfeiting a problem? I saw some Chinese listings on eBay that were obviously fake ("500 games!") but I'm scared of convincing fakes.

you can put 500 games on real ones, but there are certainly fakes out there as well, not sure how convincing they've gotten

Does anyone else have a weird thing showing in the GameStop app pre-order? Mine no longer shows a SNES Classic and it says release date 12/31 and $919 balance.

Does anyone else have a weird thing showing in the GameStop app pre-order? Mine no longer shows a SNES Classic and it says release date 12/31 and $919 balance.

Yeah I asked that yesterday. Seems we all have it. Others have said they probably just removed the listing from the website but it should be fine.

This is fake.
The good thing is that there are so many fakes on ebay (over 70%), you can easily get a real one for cheap.

How do you tell it's fake?

Colour of controller, boxart ( esrb rating is missing on the front), NES text on the console is slightly to the left, "brightness" of the text.

What do you mean you can easily get a real one? I'm lost.

Because the fake ones are bringing the price down. And your average ebay buyer can't tell the difference between real and fake.

If you want to buy a fake one, they are available for like 50US. I have nothing against fakes, just don't pay these ebay scammers.

inner-G

Banned
How do you tell it's fake?
If you can see up-close pics, a lot of the knockoffs have the little gray squares around the A and B buttons actually raised up a little bit instead of flush with the rest of the controller face.

As far as the on-screen menu, I believe the fakes show an even # of full game covers on the screen at once, while the real ones I know, show 4 full covers with 2 half covers hanging off either side to show that you can keep scrolling

beanman25

Super fortunate to have gotten one in the midnight bb wave. Was randomly up and my phone pinged from wario64. I was like oh sweet and 30 seconds later my order was through.

Phew. Haha. Hope all you guys can get one! I'm going to try to buy a few more to resell here/to friends for same price.

Top Bottom