• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Yeah, they should do this.

I think six SNES Classic pre-orders is reasonable. Enough to buy as gifts, not enough for Scruge McDuck to swim in. I ordered six myself. I know lots of people who want classic Nintendo games back but don't even know these micro consoles exist. And now two people from work want me to build a RetroPie console for them after I explained what it was.

NolbertoS

Colour of controller, boxart ( esrb rating is missing on the front), NES text on the console is slightly to the left, "brightness" of the text.

Because the fake ones are bringing the price down. And your average ebay buyer can't tell the difference between real and fake.

If you want to buy a fake one, they are available for like 50US. I have nothing against fakes, just don't pay these ebay scammers.

Regarding the ESRB rating, thats false. Nintendo seal was on the first prints and ESRB ratings were the 2nd batch. The only true way to test it is plugging it in and seeing if its false or not with the screens game titles

Ryne

Regarding the ESRB rating, thats false. Nintendo seal was on the first prints and ESRB ratings were the 2nd batch. The only true way to test it is plugging it in and seeing if its false or not with the screens game titles

Damn, so no real way to tell if buying on eBay.

Syriel

Colour of controller, boxart ( esrb rating is missing on the front), NES text on the console is slightly to the left, "brightness" of the text.

Because the fake ones are bringing the price down. And your average ebay buyer can't tell the difference between real and fake.

If you want to buy a fake one, they are available for like 50US. I have nothing against fakes, just don't pay these ebay scammers.

There is little to no risk of buying a fake from eBay so long as you plan on using it.

If you fire it up, and it's a fake, eBay will give you a full refund and the scammer will be out the $$$.

Skeletron

Pretty sure one of the official NES classic box variants doesn't have the ESRB rating so that can't be used as a tell.

This is fake.
The good thing is that there are so many fakes on ebay (over 70%), you can easily get a real one for cheap.

Those are literally the same product pictures used by legitimate retailers. Go ahead, look.

The retailer listing boxart was not the final product boxart. From Nintendo's own website: http://www.nintendo.com/images/page/nes-classic/nes-classic-edition-box.png
nes-classic-edition-box.png

I see actual early review unboxings with the same art too so maybe there was an early packaging revision or region variant. Product pictures frequently lack esrb ratings for multiple reasons.

This took 40 seconds to discover.

AkumaNiko

Pretty sure one of the official NES classic box variants doesn't have the ESRB rating so that can't be used as a tell.
Those are literally the same product pictures used by legitimate retailers. Go ahead, look.

The retailer listing boxart was not the final product boxart. From Nintendo's own website: http://www.nintendo.com/images/page... is to get one with esrb rating on the front.

bumpkin

Super fortunate to have gotten one in the midnight bb wave. Was randomly up and my phone pinged from wario64. I was like oh sweet and 30 seconds later my order was through.

Phew. Haha. Hope all you guys can get one! I'm going to try to buy a few more to resell here/to friends for same price.
Apparently I should have done that instead of that instocknow site. I didn't get a single notification when shit went down the other night.

You are absolutely right. I went and checked old unboxing videos and they did share the same boxart. They must have cloned the NES using the earlier versions, and the fakes are close to 1:1.
If you want to buy an NES classic on ebay, the safest bet is to get one with esrb rating on the front.

I can't claim that listing on ebay is legitimate but I don't know why you're still claiming it must be a 1:1 clone when all the listing shows is literally rehosted product images. They didn't clone it and retake their own pictures. Those are literally the nintendo product images. Yes, even the controller and console images. I only showed the box as one example. Whatever they're selling, they're using real product photos for that listing.

There is nothing to be learned from the photos. Any differences from the final product are your run of the mill stuff from early product images. The same has been noticed of the official SNES Mini photos, like the concave buttons not appearing on early photos but being included on the actual product.

I think six SNES Classic pre-orders is reasonable. Enough to buy as gifts, not enough for Scruge McDuck to swim in. I ordered six myself. I know lots of people who want classic Nintendo games back but don't even know these micro consoles exist. And now two people from work want me to build a RetroPie console for them after I explained what it was.

I'm $ure you do.

Alternatively, since your heart bleeds kindness, you could have informed them that these classic consoles existed before pre-orders went up. I mean, what's to say they didn't hear about it before then from another source and pre-ordered 6 themselves? Were you taking daily surveys up until the pre-orders went up?

The mental gymnastics some of you engage in is breath taking.

It would be hilarious if Sony started getting 3rd party support and released some of these games on their own system like the recently announced mana game.

Toki767

I'm $ure you do.

Alternatively, since your heart bleeds kindness, you could have informed them that these classic consoles existed before pre-orders went up. I mean, what's to say they didn't hear about it before then from another source and pre-ordered 6 themselves? Were you taking daily surveys up until the pre-orders went up?

The mental gymnastics some of you engage in is breath taking.

When pre-orders went up, I just link my friends to them. Ordering their own is on them.

If they're really scrambling for one after launch, then maybe I'll try helping them out.

lol and i was out here getting shit for having 3 preorders. I should have grabbed more but I didn't for the sanity of angry-gaf.

Also, I got mine on different accounts so if they do a 2 or less limit I should be good.

scamander

Banned
I love how the people here tell scalpers to fuck off, unless they get a chance doing the scalping themselves. Than it's all fine and dandy and six pre-orders are suddenly reasonable.

Can I expect Amazon to do another pre order round? I ask based on what happened last year with the NES (I mean that I didn't follow any of the NES pre order stuff) and since I can afford to stay late every night.

I just need my one unit, damnit. I'm still kicking myself over not hitting that pre order button as soon as I saw it.

I can't claim that listing on ebay is legitimate but I don't know why you're still claiming it must be a 1:1 clone when all the listing shows is literally rehosted product images. They didn't clone it and retake their own pictures. Those are literally the nintendo product images. Yes, even the controller and console images. I only showed the box as one example. Whatever they're selling, they're using real product photos for that listing.

There is nothing to be learned from the photos. Any differences from the final product are your run of the mill stuff from early product images. The same has been noticed of the official SNES Mini photos, like the concave buttons not appearing on early photos but being included on the actual product.
I'm not claiming the one in the pictures is a clone, I know they are official stock photos. I had a knockoff and it looked exactly the same as the product pictures, and the real one I own looks a bit different (colour, text position etc) than the stock photos AND the fake. Mine is from the last wave with esrb on the front.

Chitown B

Super fortunate to have gotten one in the midnight bb wave. Was randomly up and my phone pinged from wario64. I was like oh sweet and 30 seconds later my order was through.

Phew. Haha. Hope all you guys can get one! I'm going to try to buy a few more to resell here/to friends for same price.

i happened to check GAF the second they happened to go up. I credit GAF.

Just got this e-mail from Amazon:

Hello,

We're contacting you about order #XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX for Super NES Classic.

We recently learned that we may miss your delivery promise and apologize for the inconvenience. You will still receive your order of Super NES Classic. We are working hard to ensure you get this item as soon as it is in stock. You can track the status of, or make any changes to, your order under Your Orders on Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/your-orders-access

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

Fuck. I got the same email. So do you really think "You will still receive your order of Super NES Classic" is legit? Or just some lip service until we get the other email saying it's canceled because there isn't enough to go around.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Got the same amazon email. Pretty sure everyone is gonna have this happen.

ReyVGM

Just got this e-mail from Amazon:

Means nothing. Don't worry. However, I'm glad they sent that, because this part-

We recently learned that we may miss your delivery promise and apologize for the inconvenience. You will still receive your order of Super NES Classic. We are working hard to ensure you get this item as soon as it is in stock. You can track the status of, or make any changes to, your order under Your Orders on Amazon.com.

-will get me some free gift card points if they do cancel my second SNES Classic order.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just got my mildly incoherent and baffling Amazon alert:

Hello,

We're contacting you about order #113 etc for Super NES Classic.

What the hell does it even mean?

Nintendo. Either get it together or stop making them.

Fuck. I got the same email. So do you really think "You will still receive your order of Super NES Classic" is legit? Or just some lip service until we get the other email saying it's canceled because there isn't enough to go around.

I would hope that in the event of overselling that they'd simply place some people on backorder until they get a second batch in (even if that takes weeks). Or even more ideally, use this as an excuse to trim orders of more than one or two. An outright cancellation would really set people off.

Top Bottom