• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Toki767

I am confident there will be more preorders opportunities before it comes out. The problem is the demand has likely grown knowing some could double their money.

Even if there are, you have to assume that the people who knew about pre-orders this time around weren't the casual people.

As you get closer to launch, more and more people are going to be aware of this.

And it'll get even worse after launch.

The first wave this week was most people's best chance at getting one without much issue and Nintendo couldn't even get that right.

Toki767

They did say they would be shipping higher numbers of units over several months between launch and the end of the year. It's not like when these preorders are gone the system is unavailable for ever.

They made 2.3 million NES Classics worldwide.

They won't even say what "significantly more" SNES Classics will be.

It could be a million. It could be 100K.

Neither of which would realistically be enough.

jviggy43

They did say they would be shipping higher numbers of units over several months between launch and the end of the year. It's not like when these preorders are gone the system is unavailable for ever.

I mean it could pretty much means that if they restock with 2 systems like they did with the NES classic in which case thats the same problem. And if I'm remembering correctly,second shipments went up for that system at the same time the second ones for the snes classic will as well, on launch day.

Jim pretty much echoed the Nike sneakers connection from last page.
Have to check it out.

Megatron

How are you writing for a tech website and you can't process a pre-order or find when sites are selling it?

charm_facepalm.gif

Aren't you dudes breaking this news?

Yep. First rule of news breaking. Order that shit yourself before you post it.

You know, to 'test' it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My Amazon preorder shows up correctly now. Check your preorders if you were able to get one on Amazon.com
Just saw the notification from Wario64:

"Orders for the 2nd SNES Classic Amazon listing on early Monday morning has been updated with pic and links to the first listing now"

I just checked & can confirm this is true. Thank goodness, this should confirm that Amazon will keep the pre-orders. Super glad since this means it also secures my best friend's order as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Forreal. Feels even better if you didn't get an NES Classic. I missed out on that one so to get this, something that touched my childhood far more, I love it.
Especially since after Walmart cancelled it, I didn't make it in time for Best Buy. Though this means I can pay off my Amazon order via gift cards & such, so in a way, kind of glad I missed out on Best Buy.

& yup, I want this so much more than the NES Classic since, along with being my first game console & all the memories I have with it, it just feels like such a better deal due to the selection of games & getting a 2nd controller.

Now I just hope we get a Game Boy Classic, or even better, a GBA Classic.

cordy

Banned
Especially since after Walmart cancelled it, I didn't make it in time for Best Buy. Though this means I can pay off my Amazon order via gift cards & such, so in a way, kind of glad I missed out on Best Buy.

& yup, I want this so much more than the NES Classic since, along with being my first game console & all the memories I have with it, it just feels like such a better deal due to the selection of games & getting a 2nd controller.

Now I just hope we get a Game Boy Classic, or even better, a GBA Classic.

Yep I've got some gift cards to unload and this is perfect for it. All thanks to that second link posted here. Amazing.

Fjordson

Clicked in through the listing itself mine says pre-ordered too...it's just order received on the general order history page. Hope that's a good sign.
Normal for Best Buy, you're good.

edit: well if this were a normal product launch then you'd be good. Never know what might happen with Nintendo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Be aware that fiddling with the payment method after the fact can screw up Amazon preorders, if I recall correctly.
If it's just gift cards, I THINK it should be fine. As long as you don't screw with the actual billing info, you're okay.

Though usually, when I pay off pre-orders with credit from gift cards or codes earned from Coinstar, it's not for something in demand like this, though I've done it for LEs like the Sonic Mania one.

dukie85

Grats to those who were able to get an Amazon order.

You know the situation was dire when you have to be congratulated on getting an order in for something that shouldn't even have been such a hassle to get... lol

Be aware that fiddling with the payment method after the fact can screw up Amazon preorders, if I recall correctly.

I've never had issues with just applying a gift card to an order. I would never actually screw with the actual payment info, though.

JayBabay

Randomly noticed while trying to find a customer service link on Amazon for something unrelated that the SNES actually shows a thumbnail image now, and links directly to the correct product page. Came here and noticed everyone rejoicing about the legitimized purchases.

Congrats all, glad I'm done with this stress, but I'm confident that they will keep producing more and that plenty of alerts will be coming in the next few weeks.

inner-G

Banned
You know the situation was dire when you have to be congratulated on getting an order in for something that shouldn't even have been such a hassle to get... lol

I didn't even know if it was real or not at the time, for all I knew it was some weird ripoff listing that said 'digital download' and had no image, but had the SNES product description. I placed an order regardless.

The thirst is real.

I've never had issues with just applying a gift card to an order. I would never actually screw with the actual payment info, though.
IDK about gift cards, but I've seen people lose launch reservations for systems if they try to move it over to a different credit card.

If it's just gift cards, I THINK it should be fine. As long as you don't screw with the actual billing info, you're okay.

Though usually, when I pay off pre-orders with credit from gift cards or codes earned from Coinstar, it's not for something in demand like this, though I've done it for LEs like the Sonic Mania one.

Noooo it still effects it! I used GC credit to pay off an order a few times in the past and it always moved my delivery date. After getting fed up I talked to a CS rep and they told me that even using their credit will force you to be put at the back of the line like a new order.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Noooo it still effects it! I used GC credit to pay off an order a few times in the past and it always moved my delivery date. After getting fed up I talked to a CS rep and they told me that even using their credit will force you to be put at the back of the line like a new order.
Oh crap, guess I better play it safe, then. I've never had an order moved, let alone cancelled because I used a gift card to help pay some of it off.

inner-G

Banned
Oh crap, guess I better play it safe, then. I've never had an order moved, let alone cancelled because I used a gift card to help pay some of it off.

Safe bet would be to just let the order play out like it was placed and just use the gift cards towards whatever your next purchase is.

Unless you're dead broke and need the money in hand now, it's all going to come out of the same pot, really.

MrMephistoX

That's completely why I'm not touching mine on Bestbuy. I had heard that's an issue and someone on this thread said they got cancelled same day due to some kind of payment procession comms error with Paypal. Mine's still fine though but am happy I took the precaution of doing paypal credit just in case my paypal balance dipped.

wiibomb

Seeing this on my Amazon order page is the best news I ever have today... :D...

Based Amazon, Based Wario64 for the alerts... and a mid fever that night who keep me awake all night... xD...

goddamn so it was actually the legit thing.

I'm so so SO salty about this... why the hell amazon put up this in the middle of the night. wasn't there a VG rep on reddit to ask?

Hyoukokun

goddamn so it was actually the legit thing.

I'm so so SO salty about this... why the hell amazon put up this in the middle of the night. wasn't there a VG rep on reddit to ask?
Amazon allows third-party resellers (i.e., scalpers). They benefit financially if more of the systems wind up in the hands of scalpers, since they get a secondary cut of those sales.

They may not be doing this intentionally, but they are certainly well-incentivized to keep the system as is.

Top Bottom