• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

I'm gonna swap DKC for DKC2 with the quickness

Putting FF4 inside of mine with the switftness of the wind

I've been spoiled by the PSP/DS versions of FFIV. The SNES one is too easy :( I might put in Chrono Trigger but again, I have the DS version.

Oh you want hard mode FF4? Speed run it. It gets insanely broken and fun.

Remember when Tallah gets meteo after MilonZ? What if I told you, you could one shot Magnus Sisters, Cagnazzo, Baigan with it? You can also kill Ant Lion in 3 turns with Dancing*

Final Fantasy IV
The Dancing Dagger is bought in the village of Mist for 5,000 gil. It has an Attack Power of 24, and when used as an item, will cast the Dancing Dagger spell, which deals moderate non-elemental damage to an enemy. This weapon is metallic.

Though to get Dancing, you have to sequence break, dupe before entering Mist village. After that, it's all good times from there.

Mr Clutch

Any one here experienced with Best Buy pre-orders? I moved and my billing address on my CC changed. I cannot go into the order to change the billing address. Am I screwed?

modsbox

Heads up now brickseek isn't showing quantity for either Target or WalMart until launch-- now both retailers it says "Check Back Prior to Launch"

I did see that one San Jose location was at 100 with everything else at 0 just before that change happened though, if any SF bay area folks are curious.

I understand the sentiment, but why was the NES/SNES mini in particular an impetus for this? Both systems have had great, super-accurate emulators for years now. You've always been able to play these games on your PC (which includes setting up a cheap box that's perpetually connected to your TV).
Pretty much this:

Marketing and ease of use.

None of the previously available methods of emulation were compelling/alluring enough for these people (myself included) to actually bother setting up or buying the necessary equipment for (e.g. hardware, case, controllers) and ripping/downloading the games.

Nintendo provided an official, easy to use, strongly marketed and competitively priced option that made it more attractive than building your own emulation box or using a PC to play these games for a lot of people.

Add to that the whole "It's selling out instantly and became an expensive collector's item/investment" to the mix, and you've got your answer.

I know that emulators exist and that I can play all these games on my iMac and I could get the cables to run them to my TV, or I could go the raspberry pi box too, but those are both just a hassle (and lack the cute collectability) compared to buying a relatively inexpensive official product from Nintendo that's basically plug and play. I don't have to buy a chip and a case and two USB controllers and go through the effort of loading everything onto it, I don't have to worry about buying wireless controllers and a long-ass HDMI cable to route the signals from my iMac to the TV in the living room. I just plug the cute little NES or SNES into my TV and I'm done.

I have also never liked playing games on my PC with the exception of Minecraft. I know there are a bevy of solutions to use a controller with a PC or Mac (I have an Xbox controller just for my computer) but again, getting the games from my computer to my living room or bedroom TV is a hassle that the NES/SNES Mini eliminates.

As I said I've never even considered parting with my old systems in the past. Ideally I'd keep them forever and pass them onto my kids assuming they still work by then. It just had occurred to me that now that there's an official, easy to use method of playing these games in their original forms (I want to play Yoshi's Island, NOT Super Mario Advance 3, sorry Virtual Console) that condenses a big box with my NES and controllers and 10-15 games into something that can fit into the palm of my hand and plugs into an HDMI output, I could sell off my original stuff. I would never in a million years sell off my NES only to replace it with a raspberry pi in a close-but-not-quite NES shell. Not to talk down on anyone with one I just would not do that myself, my collecting habits are too particular and it's not worth the trouble to me.

inner-G

Banned
As I said I've never even considered parting with my old systems in the past. Ideally I'd keep them forever and pass them onto my kids assuming they still work by then. It just had occurred to me that now that there's an official, easy to use method of playing these games in their original forms (I want to play Yoshi's Island, NOT Super Mario Advance 3, sorry Virtual Console) that condenses a big box with my NES and controllers and 10-15 games into something that can fit into the palm of my hand and plugs into an HDMI output, I could sell off my original stuff.

Yep. The experience is better than the original hardware and accurate enough for me.

Not to mention that NES/SNES won't even display on some modern TVs without something like a framemeister or something to pass the video through, which typically introduces more lag.

The real question is, are any of the brick and mortar stores actually doing buying limits?

If the system shows 60 in stock, and someone can buy 5 units in one shot, that inventory isn't going to last very long.

bumpkin

The real question is, are any of the brick and mortar stores actually doing buying limits?

If the system shows 60 in stock, and someone can buy 5 units in one shot, that inventory isn't going to last very long.
They better be limited to one per customer, and if they wanted to be really fair, not let parents bring their kids and all get one. I saw that bullshit happen with amiibo once and I thought people in line were going to riot.

Yep. The experience is better than the original hardware and accurate enough for me.

Not to mention that NES/SNES won't even display on some modern TVs without something like a framemeister or something to pass the video through, which typically introduces more lag.

As someone who still has a a PS1 / SNES / Genesis still hooked up to a older Trinitron TV, I sometimes fail to appreciate how good I have it compared to others having to unbox all of that. Being able to get this little console will be very convenient.

They better be limited to one per customer, and if they wanted to be really fair, not let parents bring their kids and all get one. I saw that bullshit happen with amiibo once and I thought people in line were going to riot.

This happened to me at a Gamestop when the Wii came out. One lady bought 2, another couple bought one for each of them. This was pretty much when I started doing pre-orders.

With the rare exception of how I got the Wii U. That won't ever happen again.

It should be 1 per customer, but who knows

I just came back from Disney where they let people buy up to 10 items on the same SKU at one shot. They really don't give a crap about the reseller market, and letting people buy 10 of something hard to find in one shot is a crappy thing.

inner-G

Banned
As someone who still has a a PS1 / SNES / Genesis still hooked up to a older Trinitron TV, I sometimes fail to appreciate how good I have it compared to others having to unbox all of that. Being able to get this little console will be very convenient.
CRT is still the best experience, it's just whether you want that thing out in your house all the time, or deal with moving it/setting it up. I still have my KV-27FS120 chilling in the closet with my old games, but I never really get it out anymore.

muteki

One per address is reasonable but nobody in retail has time to check or enforce that shit. Some people will bring all the kids, grandma, and crazy uncle joe so they can get as many as possible.

CRT is still the best experience, it's just whether you want that thing out in your house all the time, or deal with moving it/setting it up. I still have my KV-27FS120 chilling in the closet with my old games, but I never really get it out anymore.

Yeah... Just hearing SNES and Saturn come out through those speakers...there is just nothing that compares to the sights and sounds of an older generation TV.

I remember taking on of my older ones and moving it around. Those things really are heavy.

I still have my old Sony CRT in storage, but haven't used it since the Wii days.

Except very briefly to test an N64 power supply I bought recently, fired up Pilotwings 64 on that bad boy.

maxcriden

This is what I'd like to know also. I am planning to ask stores if they're one per person.

jmizzal

Would it be wise to modify an Amazon preorder to ship it to a different address? I don't want it to get cancelled.

From what I heard Amazon is one place where changing the address doesnt effect your order

Thats why a lot of people can sale Amazon preorders to other people

KayMote

How are people getting shipping notifications out already? So far Amazon will probably ship it here on Thursday. The weekend can't arrive fast enough! So hyped, I think I'm going to start with a 100% run of Super Metroid, then work my way through Mega Man X and Final Fantasy VI for the very first time in my life!

Are any Best Buy locations doing a midnight launch for this? Also, any insight into whether Best Buy would likely have more stock than Target? My Target is getting a decent amount (60+), but I'd rather go to Best Buy if they are doing midnight launch and likely to have more stock...

Are any Best Buy locations doing a midnight launch for this? Also, any insight into whether Best Buy would likely have more stock than Target? My Target is getting a decent amount (60+), but I'd rather go to Best Buy if they are doing midnight launch and likely to have more stock...

No but they are giving out tickets which will limit people. Im going to my best buy around 2 or 3 am to wait

maxcriden

No but they are giving out tickets which will limit people. Im going to my best buy around 2 or 3 am to wait

Anyone know if Target stores are also doing that ticket thing? I think I heard one Wal-Mart store is, earlier in this thread, but I don't know if that's a company wide policy or not.

J-bo

Posted in the Canadian deals thread, but wanted to ask here. Anyone in Canada that got a pre-order seeing anything happen? These shipping notices from the US are giving me anxiety that my status is still pre-order.

I feel like stores with huge numbers will let you buy multiple but you'd have to go to the back of the line to buy.
You need to watch out for the people with their families and shit

I've seen a guy and wife give their kid (5) money to buy a product and everyone went "dawww" but then they ran out so I felt bad for the person that missed out.

Top Bottom