• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

maxcriden

Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone know if 24/7 Walmarts are making these available at midnight?

I'm wondering about this myself. When it came to NESC, my local 24-7 WM weren't really looped in and said they'd probably sell it sometime the next day. So I went to a different one at 6 AM opening the next day since it was the earliest they could potentially sell it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was just thinking about this the other day. I've never sold a system in my life, always kept them in boxes with the intent to either hook them up occasionally or pass them down to my eventual kids. But if I can just hack my NES/SNES collection onto my NES Mini and SNES Mini... then aside from the nostalgia of owning the old hardware I have no real reason to keep them anymore. Which is kind of sad since sooooooo many memories are tied to those systems and games but also kind of liberating? But I'm sure there's some enthusiast out there that would better use them than letting them sit forever in a closet or attic... and it's not like those memories will just disappear.

Man if they do wind up making an N64 Mini and it's also somehow hackable... I could sell so much of my collection. Damn.

I kinda-sorta entertained the idea when I hacked my NES Classic - I have over 100 NES games that I've put into custom plastic cases and have on display in my son's room (and another 30 or so cartridges in a box that I never got around to displaying because I didn't have as much nostalgia for them). In the end I decided they're worth keeping even if I don't ever fire them up to play them again. I love looking through them and remembering all the fun times I had with them (and the fun times I had introducing my kids to them later in life) so it's not something I would personally get rid of.

As always, if owning them places a burden on you that you don't find to be an acceptable trade-off then yes getting rid of them might be the answer for you. You mentioned that the idea of offloading them could be liberating, so it's just a thought. Don't let your stuff own you.

Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone know if 24/7 Walmarts are making these available at midnight?

I think it was somewhere in this thread someone said they'd be handing out tickets at 10pm, and selling the systems at midnight, holding them till 1230 for ticket holders. That may very by location, and you should talk to a manager at your local Walmart to be sure.

maxcriden

I think it was somewhere in this thread someone said they'd be handing out tickets at 10pm, and selling the systems at midnight, holding them till 1230 for ticket holders. That may very by location, and you should talk to a manager at your local Walmart to be sure.

Oh, good to know. Thank you. I'll have to call my WM.

Edit: BrickSeek showing stock for anyone's WM stores? Mine says 74% of stores have it and won't say the quantity till closer to launch.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
From Wario64's twitter

DKlNS0yVYAEA9D2.jpg

You're not already in line?

Too late.

But seriously, do a few drive bys the night before. I slept in my damn car overnight for that "big" NES refresh at Best Buy and people generally started showing up at like 5/6am. If you're hell bent on getting it a comfy chair and spending the night should do you good.

Thanks for the advice. Here's hoping.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This is a good sign. Looking forward to putting Actraiser, Breath of Fire, and Chrono Trigger on mine so I never have to hook my SNES up again.
I just want to put Robotrek on it. It was one of my favorite games growing up, but my cartridge deletes my save files every once in awhile so I've never been able to beat it :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Target in my town (a college town in Michigan) is suppose to be getting 42. That's...rather alright. Meanwhile, Midland will have 44 while Saginaw will only get 36.

....guess I'll have to let my Nintendo-obsessed co-worker know considering he didn't bother trying to pre-order it which baffles me & thought he could just walk in & get one.

Throw me in the UK --> US hat for a GAME order being packed.
Also throw me in for a Gamestop US order.
And a Walmart order for my bro. It's one of my wedding gifts for him.

Anyone else have a Pi but still have a ridiculous amount of hype for the classic? I could play SNES games from my nes classic wirelessly with my SF30s, but something about being wired and up close has me ready to sit on the carpet and play.

So stores are getting a lot of these ? I work till 145am but work near a 24hr Walmart.

I'm hoping I can walk in and snag one? Does that seem possible?

NateDrake

I have a Walmart pre-order but have a ton of GameStop store credit. Thinking I may cancel Walmart and just go to GameStop in the morning and pick one up.

crpav

So stores are getting a lot of these ? I work till 145am but work near a 24hr Walmart.

My plan was/is to just try my local walmart after I got to the gym so about 6:00 or so but I have a feeling everyone and their neighbors dog (scalpers will find ways) will be there at midnight. Last year they got 7 NES Classics and not sure how many people were there to buy them. I also feel shady managers and employees may make it even worse.

sotojuan

I'm in NYC, and all the Targets near me will have 100+ in stock.

Yeah, it's going to be laughably easy to get one on Friday if you want one.

I'm still showing up to the Atlantic Target at 8am. There's ~8.5m people in this city, after all.

if I see a lot of people in line, I'm just going to head back home and wait for my Thinkgeek bundle.

I've ordered from GAME.uk before (i'm from the USA), didn't have any problems with the browsers / not logging in.

This sounds like a security issue. If you're on a work computer, try your own personal computer or your cell phone.

Ya, it's my work computer, but it's not an issue. We're a small company here so we don't have like massive IT lock down. In fact, I set up my own computer. Also I tried my phone too. The one thing I did notice is it's just my name that is listed as null now when it was showing up fine before. If I go into the account details it does have my info.

I don't think most retailers out there do any 'post-order listing' on an account made after the order was placed.

With how complex this story is, and the fact you had it bounce off your card. Calling their International Customer Service is the safest bet then waiting it out. Make sure you have your Credit card available, confirmation email placed with the retailer, and that you've spoken to the bank. Chances are, the bank/CC institution flagged that card and it needs to be removed by you calling them before a purchase over seas can be made.

The thing is, they specifically tell you this:

As you have checked out as a guest, you will need to create an account and sign in first to enable you to retry your payment. To do this, please follow the steps below:

So I don't see how it's not true that you can't get a post ordering list when they tell you that's how you fix the payment.

Did every target just nuke their inventories or something? Every location on Brickseek is now 0 haha.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck it in their inventory system today and then hid it out until launch. We probably got on it at just the right time to get a peek. I'm hoping that they have the quantities that we just saw in stores. It would track with what Nintendo was saying about availability.

Lkr

I'll probably get in line at Target around 5 or 6 am with the quantities it sounds like they will be receiving. got in line at 6am for the switch and got one so i'm assuming this will go well too

If you sell your original carts, the ROMs you added to your NES/SNES Mini become illegal.
Shhhhhit. Is that how it works with making copies of something you bought/own/later sell? The copy is only legal as long as you still own the original? I guess that makes sense. Oh well, guess I'll hang on to them "oh darn" *feigns remorse*

I kinda-sorta entertained the idea when I hacked my NES Classic - I have over 100 NES games that I've put into custom plastic cases and have on display in my son's room (and another 30 or so cartridges in a box that I never got around to displaying because I didn't have as much nostalgia for them). In the end I decided they're worth keeping even if I don't ever fire them up to play them again. I love looking through them and remembering all the fun times I had with them (and the fun times I had introducing my kids to them later in life) so it's not something I would personally get rid of.

As always, if owning them places a burden on you that you don't find to be an acceptable trade-off then yes getting rid of them might be the answer for you. You mentioned that the idea of offloading them could be liberating, so it's just a thought. Don't let your stuff own you.

Oh they're not like any kind of weight hampering my life, I just have them stored in a couple boxes that usually live in a closet or attic and it's been a very long time since I've brought them out, it'd be liberating in the sense of just getting rid of stuff I don't use much anymore. Ideally if I ever get to have a house I'd want a family/game/play room for myself and my kids where I could hook up and display all my systems for everyone to play with (Or in this new scenario I could have the NES/SNES Minis hooked up and the OGs in a display case).

Ya, it's my work computer, but it's not an issue. We're a small company here so we don't have like massive IT lock down. In fact, I set up my own computer. Also I tried my phone too. The one thing I did notice is it's just my name that is listed as null now when it was showing up fine before. If I go into the account details it does have my info.

The thing is, they specifically tell you this:

As you have checked out as a guest, you will need to create an account and sign in first to enable you to retry your payment. To do this, please follow the steps below:

So I don't see how it's not true that you can't get a post ordering list when they tell you that's how you fix the payment.
Hmmm, I can't answer that one since I haven't been in this situation before. Which is why I prefer just making the account first so the order is placed on the account, so I can avoid that all together.

They do have a Live Chat service you can use. Good luck.

maxcriden

My plan was/is to just try my local walmart after I got to the gym so about 6:00 or so but I have a feeling everyone and their neighbors dog (scalpers will find ways) will be there at midnight. Last year they got 7 NES Classics and not sure how many people were there to buy them. I also feel shady managers and employees may make it even worse.

Each 24 hr WM may handle it differently so you may want to contact them to see when they plan to sell it. With NESC my local 24 hr WM wasn't going to sell at midnight.

--

I sincerely hope most stores are doing one per customer. Any word on that?

Dartastic

Wal-Mart orders are preparing. Yessssss. So, what games do you people think this thing is missing that should definitely be on here?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Chrono Trigger, Turtles in Time, and Aladdin. I'm going to add those ASAP once this thing is hacked. What else?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Wal-Mart orders are preparing. Yessssss. So, what games do you people think this thing is missing that should definitely be on here?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Chrono Trigger, Turtles in Time, and Aladdin. I'm going to add those ASAP once this thing is hacked. What else?

My order been preparing since I preordered.

kai3345

Banned

Final Fantasy IV
EVO: Search for Eden

I was just thinking about this the other day. I've never sold a system in my life, always kept them in boxes with the intent to either hook them up occasionally or pass them down to my eventual kids. But if I can just hack my NES/SNES collection onto my NES Mini and SNES Mini... then aside from the nostalgia of owning the old hardware I have no real reason to keep them anymore. Which is kind of sad since sooooooo many memories are tied to those systems and games but also kind of liberating? But I'm sure there's some enthusiast out there that would better use them than letting them sit forever in a closet or attic... and it's not like those memories will just disappear.

Man if they do wind up making an N64 Mini and it's also somehow hackable... I could sell so much of my collection. Damn.

I understand the sentiment, but why was the NES/SNES mini in particular an impetus for this? Both systems have had great, super-accurate emulators for years now. You've always been able to play these games on your PC (which includes setting up a cheap box that's perpetually connected to your TV).

I'm gonna swap DKC for DKC2 with the quickness

I’ll buy it from you right now. Or anyone else selling their UK version.

Hey, if no one else hooks you up and you don't mind paying an extra ~$20 or so over the US price, you might wanna consider setting up a NowInStock deal alert on their France tracker. Amazon.fr has had pre-orders pop up four of the last eight mornings, generally in the 4-11 AM ET range. Had them up for nearly two hours this morning. Should come out to around $105 USD shipped when you use the cheaper AmazonGlobal option with a delivery estimate for mid-October.

Boke1879

I just called my local Walmart and they said they are doing a midnight release. Don't know how many they are getting but the guy said first come first serve.

So I get off work around 9. So I'll just probably linger around the store until they sell it.

I just called my local Walmart and they said they are doing a midnight release. Don't know how many they are getting but the guy said first come first serve.

So I get off work around 9. So I'll just probably linger around the store until they sell it.

Be sure to dress in the proper attire before going to Wal-Mart.

2823.jpg

I understand the sentiment, but why was the NES/SNES mini in particular an impetus for this? Both systems have had great, super-accurate emulators for years now. You've always been able to play these games on your PC (which includes setting up a cheap box that's perpetually connected to your TV).

Marketing and ease of use.

None of the previously available methods of emulation were compelling/alluring enough for these people (myself included) to actually bother setting up or buying the necessary equipment for (e.g. hardware, case, controllers) and ripping/downloading the games.

Nintendo provided an official, easy to use, strongly marketed and competitively priced option that made it more attractive than building your own emulation box or using a PC to play these games for a lot of people.

Add to that the whole "It's selling out instantly and became an expensive collector's item/investment" to the mix, and you've got your answer.

Top Bottom