• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It wasn't easy and I had to bribe the person to give it to me.

Basically I just kept saying I wasn't happy and that Amazon was an unprofessional business. They eventually asked me what they could do to make it better and once I said I wanted at least $10 off, they offered it.

YMMV of course, but good luck.

I. Just. Want. An. Explanation.

TheContact

I. Just. Want. An. Explanation.

i've seen it range from "pricing error" to "out of stock" to "error with shipment" but ultimately it comes down to "we put all the units we had on treasure trucks and are waiting for the new shipments to come in for the pre orders"

i've seen it range from "pricing error" to "out of stock" to "error with shipment" but ultimately it comes down to "we put all the units we had on treasure trucks and for instant pickups and are waiting for the new shipments to come in for the pre orders"

Fixed that for ya.

cordy

Banned
It wasn't easy and I had to bribe the person to give it to me.

Basically I just kept saying I wasn't happy and that Amazon was an unprofessional business. They eventually asked me what they could do to make it better and once I said I wanted at least $10 off, they offered it.

YMMV of course, but good luck.

Good deal I'll try it out.

I'm starting to feel like that scene in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest where they pretend to watch the world series. Just replace the world series with SNES games.

According to istocknow.com several Gamestops across the US are showing SNES classic in stock. None near me though and I haven't called any of those Gamestops to see if they actually have them in stock. Might help someone get one though and the website shows international stock as well which is interesting to see.

woodypop

Man, you know it's a shitshow when you feel lucky for having missed pre-order opportunities.

I was preoccupied during the first Walmart pre-order, and asleep during the Amazon pre-order. Managed to get in on the second Walmart pre-order (thanks, Wario64!). Sure, I got the SNES a week after release day, but that's a small price to pay compared to dealing with the drama and uncertainty of what's happening now.

I don't know how Walmart managed to prioritize their second pre-orders over their first ones. Or how Amazon (US) is totally neglecting theirs. I don't know if we'll ever find out the truth, but the whole situation just boggles the mind.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
According to istocknow.com several Gamestops across the US are showing SNES classic in stock. None near me though and I haven't called any of those Gamestops to see if they actually have them in stock. Might help someone get one though and the website shows international stock as well which is interesting to see.
Damn, only FIVE locations in my entire state, all of which are GS, & all are over an hour away from where I live. Ugh.

So realistically will this thing be available on the shelf before Christmas without needing to line up before a store opens or will I need to resort to eBay?

Peagles

Yeh I just chatted with Amazon and they were unhelpful af.

Basic response was we don't have stock, order from another seller, just give up cos we don't know when or if we are gonna get any.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There are a lot of people selling their Super Famicoms at Amazon JP, but I can't order from any of them because they don't offer international shipping.

😫😫😫

Tabasco

Yeh I just chatted with Amazon and they were unhelpful af.

Basic response was we don't have stock, order from another seller, just give up cos we don't know when or if we are gonna get any.
At the very least, it's good that they don't charge unless they ship the item.

Maengun1

Friggin' watch Amazon get more stock and just throw them up for sale on another page and still not fulfill the preorders

I feel like it's going to happen

It seems like they don't even want to acknowledge that preorders were ever taken at this point

Gaslighting af

Alright I just got $20 credit super easily with my first rep, as opposed to the shitshow that ensued when I complained on release day. Amazon must have issued a statement for their reps or something. Live chat fwiw

You all should give it a try

Also..........

I'm glad I was able to help.
You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Me: Just one last question
Omkar: Yes sure.
Me: Your system shows that I will still receive it by Wednesday, October 11th? If that's the case, I'm just wondering why my order hasn't shipped
Omkar: The item will be shipped by the end of today and will be delivered to you anyhow before 3pm on October 11th

Wow I can’t believe how bad Amazon messed up for some of you guys. That sucks. They are my number 1 vendor. I got stuck with a think geek order but at least it came. (Luckily the “cheapest” Tetris lamp one I guess)

Wow I can’t believe how bad Amazon messed up for some of you guys. That sucks. They are my number 1 vendor. I got stuck with a think geek order but at least it came. (Luckily the “cheapest” Tetris lamp one I guess)

Haven't stayed 100% up to date, but hasn't Amazon messed it up for literally every single person that preordered? Or did some peeps get their console?

They're my number 1 vendor too and I pay for Prime + Shotime (not sure if Amazon gets any of that cut). Incredibly disappointed but the fact that this last dude pretty much instantly gave me $20 without being a condescending asshole like the reps were on release day, I'm feeling a little bit better about the situation.

mrchad

Haven't stayed 100% up to date, but hasn't Amazon messed it up for literally every single person that preordered? Or did some peeps get their console?

Three US retailers put up pre-orders on August 22 - Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Amazon. Of those 3, only Best Buy has delivered those orders. Wal-Mart has placed the 8/22 orders on backorder, and Amazon has provided little consistent information other than an email on August 25 indicating it would be delayed.

Wal-Mart did offer a second round of pre-orders on August 25 which were fulfilled.

Three US retailers put up pre-orders on August 22 - Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Amazon. Of those 3, only Best Buy has delivered those orders. Wal-Mart has placed the 8/22 orders on backorder, and Amazon has provided little consistent information other than an email on August 25 indicating it would be delayed.

Wal-Mart did offer a second round of pre-orders on August 25 which were fulfilled.

Ahhh no kidding. Thanks for the info!

Here's to hoping this Amazon order actually gets fulfilled.

RedZaraki

Banned
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIYAAAAJDU3ZTNmZTMzLWZhYTMtNDM4OC05ZDZhLTA0MGIwOTQ1YmY2MA.jpg

I'm glad I cancelled my Walmart order (8/22), and just waltzed into Best Buy on launch day. Walmart is such a mess that they sent me a "Your order is backordered" email a week after I had already cancelled it.

Saganator

I'm glad I cancelled my Walmart order (8/22), and just waltzed into Best Buy on launch day. Walmart is such a mess that they sent me a "Your order is backordered" email a week after I had already cancelled it.

Yeah I'm glad I didn't trust my 8/22 Walmart order either or I'd be even more upset. Still want my pre-order though, it's going to be a gift for my 11 year step-son. I stupidly told him to expect one, too, since I had a pre-order with a major multi billion dollar company, I figured it was a sure thing.

Just got a 5th pending charge to my credit card. I'm going to want at least $20-40 credit for all my wasted time and disappointment.

I called one of the gamestops that showed in stock however, they said someone had traded it in and it was immediately sold within an hour.

YMMV of course

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man Amazon US fucked up so bad. This shit is crazy.

What are the odds Nintendo will send out more stock before Christmas? I really want one for my brother, but I don't want to pay scalper's prices

Elandyll

Banned
I normally love Amazon, but can't believe how badly they messed up on pre orders and the whole Treasure Truck shenanigans...

As someone else said, it's a weird day when peeps like me end up happy to have missed pre orders...

Last thing I'll post for a while, but a rep assured me that some preorders would start shipping out this week and just go by groups until the end of the month.

Weird I know.

I called one of the gamestops that showed in stock however, they said someone had traded it in and it was immediately sold within an hour.

YMMV of course

I'm not surprised. I was mainly wondering if the website may help to show when a location gets in one or more units - that's what I'm checking for mainly. I had serious doubts about any of them retaining any of their stock past an hour at most. At least when you called they actually *had* one for a while, so perhaps that may mean that the website may be somewhat accurate as to when a location gets something. Thanks for calling - I probably should have called a few just to check myself.

I'm not surprised. I was mainly wondering if the website may help to show when a location gets in one or more units - that's what I'm checking for mainly. I had serious doubts about any of them retaining any of their stock past an hour at most. At least when you called they actually *had* one for a while, so perhaps that may mean that the website may be somewhat accurate as to when a location gets something. Thanks for calling - I probably should have called a few just to check myself.

No problem. I actually only called because the gamestop was near me lol

I called one in Orlando, FL about 3 or 4 days ago

Sucks that I didn't call in time because if I did, I would of went to buy it 100%

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lmao that's one of the most ridiculous excuses I've read so far
An Amazon rep once told me that Microsoft had delayed the launch of Gears of War 4 because "the publisher couldn't handle a Friday release", despite EVERYONE ElSE shipping the game already and even Amazon themselves had shipped it early to a few people.

They have the worst customer service I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

Fjordson

I had an Amazon one pre-ordered for my sister. Still absolutely no info on if it'll ever ship...

Rant warning:

Amazon has been weird about this in general lately...I've had this happen to a few orders of mine. I'll pre-order something well in advance, where there's no signs of a stock issue, and all the way up to release my order is listed as being on track to ship on time. Like I said, no signs of any issues. But then the actual release date for the product comes and - bam - out of stock on the product page and my specific order is delayed to some unknown date.

Had it happen with a blu-ray box set a few months ago, the recent Akira vinyl re-issue and now the SNES classic. The SNES classic on its own I'm not too shocked by, just because of all the fuckery that goes on with Nintendo hardware launches and their scarcity, but this seems to be a trend with Amazon lately for some reason. And in some cases, like the aforementioned blu-ray set, they're taking pre-orders long after I ordered mine. So it's like there's something wrong with their system and how it flags products that are low or out of stock before release. They'll take a ton of pre-orders, regardless of how many units they're actually getting.

I also had a SNES classic pre-ordered from Best Buy and that arrived on release day without any problems. Kinda funny that in the past I would have felt way more secure with an Amazon pre-order than a Best Buy one....not so much these days, though.

Top Bottom