• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

jviggy43

Spill the beans already you cock tease!

Jk...but seriously Nintendo give us an idea when this will fucking go up. This is so ridiculous how you need to make everything so difficult.

lucius

a bit off topic, but why does the us snes consoles look dammm ugly? :p

large.jpg

I love my superieur europe version :)

That's the console I played on and I kind of prefer the original NA model

Aske

That's the console I played on and I kind of prefer the original NA model

I grew up with and prefer the Euro/Japanese design, but I don't hate the way the NA console looks. That said, I think the lilac controller buttons are a massive downgrade. The red, blue, yellow, green face buttons on the SNES controller were so iconic. You had the same colours in the Euro/Japanese SNES logo, and they were the core palette of Super Mario World. The SMW box art and controller design were perfect for each other. The colourful controller also looked like such an incredibly futuristic evolution from the NES design.

One style isn't objectively better than the other, but eschewing the four bright colours in order to pair two decent-looking purple buttons with two anaemic lilac ones seems like such an odd choice.

Einhandr

I grew up with and prefer the Euro/Japanese design, but I don't hate the way the NA console looks. That said, I think the lilac controller buttons are a massive downgrade. The red, blue, yellow, green face buttons on the SNES controller were so iconic. You had the same colours in the Euro/Japanese SNES logo, and they were the core palette of Super Mario World. The SMW box art and controller design were perfect for each other. The colourful controller also looked like such an incredibly futuristic evolution from the NES design.

One style isn't objectively better than the other, but eschewing the four bright colours in order to pair two decent-looking purple buttons with two anaemic lilac ones seems like such an odd choice.

But the concave buttons! You can't forget about those. To me, those alone made the US controller better.

Aske

But the concave buttons! You can't forget about those. To me, those alone made the US controller better.

I had completely forgotten those! That's very true. They did feel fantastic, as I recall. I can see why you wouldn't want to lose them if you'd grown up with them. I spent far more time with the all-convex buttons, but a friend had imported the NA system, so I've put time in with both.

I have this horrible feeling that preorders in the US are going up right as the solar eclipse is going over the US today. Everyone will be looking up & we'll all miss the alert. Ninty isn't that evil...right?

I always thought the colour change for the US was odd. The colourful buttons were too childish? So let's go for a big, butch American colour like.... lavender?

Audioboxer

American pre-orders still haven't gone up yet? What the hell is wrong with Nintendo? It's laughable their own product is still out of stock on their official website in Europe.

But yeah, I want those US pre-orders to go up so some of you cancel your UK/EU orders. I refuse to pay over 100 Euros for this (Amazon Germany lol). I'd very much prefer to get an Amazon UK order in.

SalvaPot

American pre-orders still haven't gone up yet? What the hell is wrong with Nintendo? It's laughable their own product is still out of stock on their official website in Europe.

But yeah, I want those US pre-orders to go up so some of you cancel your UK/EU orders. I refuse to pay over 100 Euros for this (Amazon Germany lol). I'd very much prefer to get an Amazon UK order in.

Most of the UK orders where cancelled.

Most of the UK orders where cancelled.
My Amazon UK order wasn't cancelled.

I also have orders on Amazon Germany and Amazon Italy. The latter I'm most likely going to cancel (because they don't ship internationally and using a forwarding service would be expensive).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Lol That US SNES looks so bad. It looked like something that had been out for 10 years even back then.

How can you come to that conclusion? I like both quite a bit, but adding cohesion to the buttons, even making them flush to the shell of the console itself kind of puts the US model stylistically ahead of what the SFami was doing.

Dislike the purple or other altered frills, but drop the hyperbole. There is not a chance anyone could be convinced the US machine released in 1981 instead of 1991.

No other reason than nostaia. We all love the one we grew up with, and because the designs are so different, we feel disturbed and upset by the other one.

Nah, I have the U.S. SNES and live in the U.S., but I think the Japan / PAL versions look better.
I still wouldn't trade for PAL's superior design and inferior original-release game selection, though.

Lol That US SNES looks so bad. It looked like something that had been out for 10 years even back then.
This probably had a lot to do with Sega gaining the lead in the early 90s.

genesis_system.jpg

Slick. The original SNES looks like a Fisher's Price toy by comparison.

(not saying anything about which console was actually better, I'd give to SNES, but it certainly helped Sega's marketing strategy that the console itself looked kind of dorky)

WalTech

You guys are all suckers. I already got my SNES Mini from a guy down the street.

Check it out:
z3jSV2A.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play some Super Martino Brothers and SpaceFox.

Toparaman

Banned
No other reason than nostaia. We all love the one we grew up with, and because the designs are so different, we feel disturbed and upset by the other one.
Not really. The Super Famicom just looks better. American here, grew up with the SNES.

Conversely, is there anyone who didn't grow up with the US SNES that prefers that design?

I didn't grow up with either (only had a Mega Drive those days, never owned or played on a SNES), and I think US design looks pretty bad.

Top Bottom