• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

I don't see why they'd make a test product label and then reveal "HAHA! IT WAS THE NES CLASSIC AAAALLLL ALONG!"

That seems like a baffling marketing decision

Well it was $60 and said it's a Nintendo product, so...

What do they normally do with tests? Are they going to cancel the orders?

Steiner

Banned
I don't want to get in trouble for posting something if it turns out to change, but my contact is at an official retailer who I know for a fact would have this information. Is there a mod I should run this through first? I'm not for sure going to drop the info yet, but just in case I decide to make a thread about it.

wiibomb

I don't want to get in trouble for posting something if it turns out to change, but my contact is at an official retailer who I know for a fact would have this information. Is there a mod I should run this through first? I'm not for sure going to drop the info yet, but just in case I decide to make a thread about it.

may be post here and if it is thread worthy, post the thread?

Erevador

If you have trouble getting approved to post it... there are certainly those of us who would be very appreciative of a private message...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

don't make a thread about information that at most is a slightly early announcement for the timing of preorders of a product

if your contact is just a person who, like literally hundreds of thousands of other people, works for best buy / gamestop / target / wal-mart / etc. in a retail store capacity (including yes, managers), then just say that. you don't need to beat around the bush, this isn't watergate.

Steiner

Banned
don't make a thread about information that at most is a slightly early announcement for the timing of preorders of a product

if your contact is just a person who, like literally hundreds of thousands of other people, works for best buy / gamestop / target / wal-mart / etc. in a retail store capacity (including yes, managers), then just say that. you don't need to beat around the bush, this isn't watergate.

It would be more than a "slightly early" heads up. The contact handles relations at *snip* and is likely the one who will be sending out the announcement that these pre-orders are going live. When I asked for further clarification, he stated that "as of now, pre-orders are definitely set to go live (on this day)" and then said that the exact time was still in the works.

He stated that everything won't be finalized until a few days from now, which is why I'm hesitant to share. I know some of you are likely frustrated that I'm beating around the bush, but I've been around GAF long enough to see more than one person either banned or ridiculed for months (years) for posting leaks that didn't pan out. I'm just trying to do right by everyone, including my contact. I'm not withholding information for attention or to hang it over anyone's head.

If a mod thinks it's cool, and I get the okay from my contact to post this information, then I'll be posting it in an article which will be the focus of a new thread.

IpDAgCi.gif

It's a little too bad I just bought a second Switch, barely have enough credit left for one SNES Classic now. Was hoping to get two at least.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
(edited out potentially sensitive info)

If a mod thinks it's cool, and I get the okay from my contact to post this information, then I'll be posting it in an article which will be the focus of a new thread.

your safest option is to PM me and no one else so that I definitely am ready to preorder one before the rest of the gaf rabble.

You described the contact's position accurately enough that it could easily get them identified and fired, just as a heads up.

This.

Loose that company name and description of position. You alerting us of a date that we'll probably get a heads up on anyway is not worth this person losing their job.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It would be more than a "slightly early" heads up. The contact handles relations at *snip* and is likely the one who will be sending out the announcement that these pre-orders are going live. When I asked for further clarification, he stated that "as of now, pre-orders are definitely set to go live (on this day)" and then said that the exact time was still in the works.

He stated that everything won't be finalized until a few days from now, which is why I'm hesitant to share. I know some of you are likely frustrated that I'm beating around the bush, but I've been around GAF long enough to see more than one person either banned or ridiculed for months (years) for posting leaks that didn't pan out. I'm just trying to do right by everyone, including my contact. I'm not withholding information for attention or to hang it over anyone's head.

if you post it on GAF that early, the entire internet will know. It'll go to CAG / Slickdeals, and you remove any advantage for yourself and GAF.

your best bet it so give the GAF thread a very slight early warning.

Juraash

I have the EU version ordered, but I would trade or drop it in hot second for the US one.

I'll take purple and grey any day of the week.

Hopefully pre-orders here are as easy to get as a EU one was. There were several good size windows to secure a unit if you were able to follow the threads here. With some luck it'll be comparable when US orders open.

Yeah if you post it now just drop it in the thread with a quote for members or something.

If you make a thread for it it's going to be all over the internet in an hour. It might be regardless.

Steiner

Banned
You described the contact's position accurately enough that it could easily get them identified and fired, just as a heads up.

Definitely good looking out, thank you. My contact has gone quiet since I asked him about publishing the date in an article, so I'm thinking maybe he messed up by revealing the date so flippantly. It was a very casual email, and there was no mention of embargo at all -- even after my initial follow-up.

Sorry to rile everyone up. =/

B.K.

a bit off topic, but why does the us snes consoles look dammm ugly? :p

large.jpg

I love my superieur europe version :)

The American SNES is the best SNES. The European version and Super Famicom are two of the most ugly consoles ever made.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
clearly the best model is the SNS-101 model because that's the one i grew up with

snes_model2.jpg

....I get why they didn't use it, but by the time I got into SNES, I almost never saw the original model & had the revision that came out near the N64's launch.

large.jpg

I adore the EU SNES and find the NA SNES just heinous, but it's really more nostalgia driving preferences for most of us.

I do think both designs fit their relative regions though.

The NA one is big and chunky, with an aggressive eye catching angular and straight edges design, alongside a more monotone, straight forward overall palette, while the EU/JP design is more reserved and minimalist physically, all soft curves and low profile, but with a bit of a more traditionally cool look, contrasting with a colourful close up personal interface.

The NA one is a big bold muscle car, while the EU/JP one is a small refined sports car, basically.

TB12

Banned
I adore the EU SNES and find the NA SNES just heinous, but it's really more nostalgia driving preferences for most of us.

The NA one is big and chunky, with an aggressive eye catching angular and straight edges design, alongside a more monotone, straight forward overall palette, while the EU/JP design is more reserved and minimalist physically, all soft curves and low profile, but with a bit of a more traditionally cool look, contrasting with a colourful close up personal interface.

The NA one is a big bold muscle car, while the EU/JP one is a small refined sports car, basically.

yes, this make senses somehow. Great analogy :)

clearly the best model is the SNS-101 model because that's the one i grew up with

snes_model2.jpg

....I get why they didn't use it, but by the time I got into SNES, I almost never saw the original model & had the revision that came out near the N64's launch.

Maybe they'll use it if they do a volume 2

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
IF YALL DONT STOP BUMPING THIS THREAD, MY HEART CANT TAKE IT

Nah, but any word on when preorders will open? Heard somewhere they were gonna do them on the 29th

Don't insult my muscle cars with that comparison :)

Maengun1

I seriously think the way people talk about the american SNES vs. the other style is like the weirdest overreaction thing in gaming history. Like US version is some ABOMINATION FROM HELL.

I grew up with the NA version, it's fine. The other one is fine too. The curves are nicer than the boxiness I suppose, but the shades of purple are more unique/nicer than the in your face RED YELLOW BLUE GREEN. In my opinion.

It's not a big deal either way.

jholmes

large.jpg

Good luck hitting the power switch on the European version, it's like a hair trigger or something. I love the design on the SFC but give me the big reliable power button on the SNES.

I wonder if these will yellow accurately after 25 years.

Top Bottom