• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

baphomet

I swear some of these people buy these off eBay and then make up these stories to enrage people like me that can never seem to get any kind of hunting breaks

You'd be surprised. I found a deal today for $220. CIB earthbound, LttP, castlevania IV, contra, snes jr, altogether 26 games. Picking them up tomorrow. Probably sell a few to make my money back and keep the rest.

Fox Mulder

Shining

Haha. Yeah, maybe you should reward yourself with a good game to go along with it.
1Yr0ue9.jpg
I did! I remember reading about this and looking at the colorful graphics in magazines but i never got around to play it, not even on emulators. I'm so glad it turned out to be a real solid fighter as well :D

IrishNinja

^you know, ive seen that one take shit on forums before, but in a world where fighters like Double Dragon V exist, that one isn't at all a bad game by me

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still trying to find a power brick solution for the US SNES in Europe. I need a universal power supply. :-/

Shining

^you know, ive seen that one take shit on forums before, but in a world where fighters like Double Dragon V exist, that one isn't at all a bad game by me
It's no Street Fighter II, thats for sure. But overall i think it holds up pretty well. And it's the Turtles.

televator

I would like some help with Japanes EMS tracking for those of you with experience with it. I ordered a Super Game Boy 2 from Japan. I'm trying to track it with the number I got, but I don't think I'm doing it right. I go to the international page, it asks me for the number in one box, and then there's a "To" box that I don't know what number it wants...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I would like some help with Japanes EMS tracking for those of you with experience with it. I ordered a Super Game Boy 2 from Japan. I'm trying to track it with the number I got, but I don't think I'm doing it right. I go to the international page, it asks me for the number in one box, and then there's a "To" box that I don't know what number it wants...

Japan Post? If so, try this page.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
You should be able to get limited tracking on USPS.com. You'll see when it leaves Japan, then you'll see detailed data once it arrives here.

Chucker

My CL has been dry around me for the past few months. The good news is that it's yard sale season, time to find me some unsuspecting parents, and an old CRT.

IrishNinja

^heh i suppose it's possible i misheard

Damn,I want one but $500 is a tough pill,especially with two new consoles around the corner.

Solaris ships it for under $400, if that helps!
for me, 6 months or so should be plenty of time to undo the damage, and this is totally me prepping for slow/boring launch years on either front too

giggas

My CL has been dry around me for the past few months. The good news is that it's yard sale season, time to find me some unsuspecting parents, and an old CRT.

You guys have any luck at yard sales? I always want to try it but I feel like it would be a waste of time. There was only one time where i was out walking my dog, saw a huge yard sale and asked if they had any video game stuff. Of course the answer was no. Well I did have luck picking up a decent CRT in the Fall from a Yard Sale, but never any luck with classic games.

Speaking of CRTs, I see so many of them just thrown out on a curb for trash. Don't even need a Yard Sale for those things.

Chucker

Last summer when I had just started getting back into the old stuff, I searched CL for NES and found a yard sale about an hour out from me that promised to have "all systems from 2600 to Gamecube". I ran up there only looking for a NES, and go that for $25 with 2 controllers, all hookups and Mario/Duck Hunt. The woman had no less than 10 complete systems of EACH system from 2600 to Gamecube. Kicking myself for not picking up a SNES when I was there so I could have gotten in on it earlier.

After that, it was just thrift shops/flea markets with some success. This guy on CL sold me Mega Man 2 and 3 for $3 a piece and told me about this fabled guy in a run down flea market. I showed up and he had BINS of cart only games, numbering in the thousands. After a few trips I had taken the good things from him, but I imagine he might have rebuilt his stock by now.

Other than that, yard sales and garage sales have been a bust, but I'm being optimistic for this summer.

RE: CRT's, yeah I get that, but I just want a nice little 20' or so with S-Video that I can sit on my entertainment center when I play, and then toss in the closet when I'm done.

giggas

Cool, looks like you've had some good luck. Bummer you missed out on the SNES though. I should start checking up on CL again too.

Good point about the CRTs. Most people are throwing out giant ones that they were using for their family TVs and have replaced with an HD set. Still though, could get lucky on finding something just like that on someone's lawn. I've seen a ton of stuff, both good and bad over the last few months.

Tadale

I've been slowly rebuilding my collection after losing/selling a lot of it during college several years back.

The SNES demand is crazy now, even in my tiny hometown. I used to be able to hit up pawnshops for crazy deals – I bought two Chrono Trigger carts for $2 each before, Super Metroid for $2, two or three Secret of Mana carts for just a few dollars. Nowadays, it seems like there are plenty of more collectors and plenty of more people that understand the value of the cartridges.

Several years back, I picked up an EB cart for less than $10, and sold it on eBay for maybe like $60. Now I don't even have one in my own collection, and I really do not want to spend the $200 for a loose cart.

I am VERY bad/unlucky at choosing when to unload my games. I sold my Xenoblade copy a couple of months after it came out for like $40.

bodine1231

Just picked up a PVM 2030 today. What RGB cable do I need for this particular monitor? I already have the snes to Scart cable. I think i read that i need a CMPTR to SCART but ive never heard of that. Can someone point me to who sells the one I need for this?

10688313-C7A8-43E1-94B4-F333DEB8B126-99-0000000076ADEBAF_zpsb141d3aa.jpg

Jhriad

Just picked up a PVM 2030 today. What RGB cable do I need for this particular monitor? I already have the snes to Scart cable. I think i read that i need a CMPTR to SCART but ive never heard of that. Can someone point me to who sells the one I need for this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/bodine1231/10688313-C7A8-43E1-94B4-F333DEB8B126-99-0000000076ADEBAF_zpsb141d3aa.jpg[/IMG]

The CMPTR (Computer) looks to be a D-Sub 25 pin connector. You're probably familiar with his smaller brother; the common VGA connector.

EDIT: And this is probably what you will be looking for. Might want to research that some to make sure since I don't have any experience with these PVM monitors. I also have no clue about that website so use it at your own risk. There are other vendors that the folks in this thread could probably recommend. Hope that helps ya. :)

bodine1231

The CMPTR (Computer) looks to be a D-Sub 25 pin connector. You're probably familiar with his smaller brother; the common VGA connector.

EDIT: And this is probably what you will be looking for. Might want to research that some to make sure since I don't have any experience with these PVM monitors. I also have no clue about that website so use it at your own risk. There are other vendors that the folks in this thread could probably recommend. Hope that helps ya. :)

I went ahead and sold that one to a friend,he managed to fix my other broke PVM which has the component input which I already have the cable for. Im still waiting for the RGB cables for my SNES,but the Wii with component still looks nice.

dareacher

Banned
Soooo happy right now , just baught from a guy at work :
zelda snes
super punchout with box
snes system with wires and controller
zelda 2 box
dragon warrior 2
batman
punchout with box
metroid with box
ghost and goblins with box
faxanadu with box
double dragon 2 with box
dejavue with box
megaman x2 (super rare)
rc proam
turtle nes

and

Mega man 7 with box.

For a whopping 200$

unbeleivable right???

^

That's awesome. Really want Mega Man 7. Top on my list of shit to get when I have some extra spending money. I don't think Mega Man X2 is really rare at all, but it is, in fact, fucking awesome and worth a decent chunk of change.

dareacher

Banned
ya for some reason i taught it was really rare heheh , will look great next to the rest of my collection which consist of gems as : a sealed copy of secret of mana , dw 1 , 3 (complete ) and 4... ff1,4,6,7,8,9,10, earthbound and much much more!

Yaaaaay!

Reclaimer

Finally got around to cleaning up and fixing a cheap system I got last year. Opened it up all the way to the naked PCB to confirm its a 1-chip-02 revision, as I had suspected. A bit better video output than others.

Now happily residing in the living room. Connected via HDMI to the 55 Panny plasma through an XRGB mini with an RGB cable.

1080p SNES, looking super sharp. Honestly, the phone pics don't do it justice, a bit hard to focus on the screen with the iPhone so these are blurrier than in real life. Still wanted to share. :)

A close up

Chucker

I'd love to get one, but I really can't justify that purchase that purchase to my wife.

"It makes my old games look RETARDED GOOD"

Reclaimer

I'd love to get one, but I really can't justify that purchase that purchase to my wife.

"It makes my old games look RETARDED GOOD"

My strategy - focus on the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) of the XRGB.

"We can get rid of this giant, 200lb, heat producing, inefficient, (beautiful) monstrosity Trinitron CRT... And replace it with this tiny black box!"

It worked a year or two ago, and I've never looked back. :)

Chucker

My strategy - focus on the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) of the XRGB.

"We can get rid of this giant, 200lb, heat producing, inefficient, (beautiful) monstrosity Trinitron CRT... And replace it with this tiny black box!"

It worked a year or two ago, and I've never looked back. :)

Except I don't have a CRT anymore :(

Although if this guy on CL emails me, I'll have one tonight.

SparkTR

I recently got my SNES out of storage, tuned it up (cleaned controller motherboard and such) and am looking to get some more games. I'm thinking of buying ALttP and F Zero for about $110 (PAL versions). Is that a bit high and should I shop around more? Granted I live in Australia and shipping costs a ton.

Tadale

Those pictures look great! Very tempted to get something like that of my own. I currently just hook my old games to a newer CRT through composite.

I hit up a flea market this weekend looking for some deals, and didn't really find any. Left with the original Lost Vikings, which I've never owned.

eXistor

I've always been interested in an XRGB, but from what I hear, European TV's don't really work well with it. Anyone here from Europe with one that confirm or deny this?

Top Bottom