• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

I just saw that you finally were able to get Harvest Moon Parallacs. Congrats!

How much did you get it for? The current prices are insane.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any decent third party s-video cables for the SNES/N64? I have one Monster s-video cable (looking at the prices now is hilarious - when I bought mine I could've bought 8 for $40, but only needed a couple... foolish, foolish me), but I've heard they have issues on the SNES Jr. after it's modded for s-video. I figure I'll get another cable to be safe. First party ones look like they're $30 + shipping on eBay. Ugh. I wish Nintendo still sold them.

With the two shipments of games that came in for me yesterday, I hit 100 SNES/SFC carts. I'm gonna take a break... after I buy Sanrio World Smash Ball.

Parallacs

I just saw that you finally were able to get Harvest Moon Parallacs. Congrats!

How much did you get it for? The current prices are insane.

Way too much lol. $132 + $2. By far the most I have ever paid for a game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161012254725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_7wt_1190

I have been following auctions for two months now. I sorta lost my mind and had to bid on this one due to the great label condition. I'm still kicking myself about seeing it in a freaking mall kiosk in Houston for $40 and passing on it. I knew at the time that was a crazy price.

Krelian

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161012254725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_7wt_1190

I have been following auctions for two months now. I sorta lost my mind and had to bid on this one due to the great label condition. I'm still kicking myself about seeing it in a freaking mall kiosk in Houston for $40 and passing on it. I knew at the time that was a crazy price.
Oh man, that's insane! How come the prices for US Harvest Moon are so high? The PAL version seems to be so much cheaper. Was there a limited number of copies?

It's a great game though. You'll certainly have fun.

Zing

Banned
I sold my harvest moon SNES with manual for $170 earlier this year. The game was okay, but after playing for half a year, I had enough.

Oh man, that's insane! How come the prices for US Harvest Moon are so high?
Many people feel it is the best in the series, or at least second best to the N64 game. It seems to have a distinctly different feel compared to the other games, and is certainly more simple and concise.

Zing

Banned
Are there any decent third party s-video cables for the SNES/N64? I have one Monster s-video cable (looking at the prices now is hilarious - when I bought mine I could've bought 8 for $40, but only needed a couple... foolish, foolish me), but I've heard they have issues on the SNES Jr. after it's modded for s-video. I figure I'll get another cable to be safe. First party ones look like they're $30 + shipping on eBay. Ugh. I wish Nintendo still sold them.
Even when you could buy the lots of Monster cables for cheap, I still had to buy a Nintendo brand cable from Japan, they were so rare. I paid $25 about a year ago.

bodine1231

With the two shipments of games that came in for me yesterday, I hit 100 SNES/SFC carts. I'm gonna take a break... after I buy Sanrio World Smash Ball.

Why not go RGB? It may cost a little more but your games will never look better.

baphomet

I picked up Cybernator and Weaponlord today for $10. Not sure if its a good deal or not, but I enjoy both games so it was worth it to me.

Lost on a Megaman X3 auction today by a tiny bit. Ah well guess I'll be sticking to the collection for now.

What are the downsides to switching to RGB

If you live in the US, the downsides would be using up a plug for an external device (either one to convert it to component, or an upscaler like the XRGB series).

Ha, that's funny! I was going to bid on that one, but ended up sleeping in haha.

Glad you won the auction for a pretty decent price.

Once you've hit S-Video, you've jumped past the biggest noticeable video quirks (no more ugly dot-crawl). It's mostly further color separation, so pixels are about as defined as they'll ever be.

I'm not really interested in jumping from S-Video to RGB, as I hear the difference is kinda negligible at that point (noticeable if you do a side-by-side comparison at least). I am considering getting an upscaler, though. My TV's upscaler isn't the worst thing I've ever seen; it handles most of the tests from the Sega CD version of the 240p test suite pretty well, actually. It's just, so much haloing. Earthbound has tons of black outlines around everything, and it brings out the halos in full force, which is really hideous. I kinda wish I hadn't been told about it, because it's hard to not notice it now.

But I don't want to sink $300+ on an XRGB ;_;... Guess I'll have to stick with a CRT for now. Which is kinda inconvenient in and of itself, because there's no room for it on the table underneath my bed, so I have to use another chair NEXT to the bed, and that chair has no armrests and argh first world problems

The difference between S-Video and RGB/component is pretty noticeable, but I think the jump isn't quite as big as composite to S-Video. But you'll definitely notice it, without a doubt. The colors are more defined, and there's little to no color bleeding, so the picture overall looks clearer and more colorful.

But if you're fine with S-Video and don't want to spend a bunch more, then just stick with that, then.

I don't know about playing this stuff on HDTVs, though. I've always just played them on SD CRTs.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The jump also depends on the system. When I went from S-video to RGB on my Saturn, I was like "GEE WHIZ."

When I did the same on the PS1, I was like "this looks great, but it was already pretty good."

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Once you've hit S-Video, you've jumped past the biggest noticeable video quirks (no more ugly dot-crawl). It's mostly further color separation, so pixels are about as defined as they'll ever be.

I'm not really interested in jumping from S-Video to RGB, as I hear the difference is kinda negligible at that point (noticeable if you do a side-by-side comparison at least). I am considering getting an upscaler, though. My TV's upscaler isn't the worst thing I've ever seen; it handles most of the tests from the Sega CD version of the 240p test suite pretty well, actually. It's just, so much haloing. Earthbound has tons of black outlines around everything, and it brings out the halos in full force, which is really hideous. I kinda wish I hadn't been told about it, because it's hard to not notice it now.

But I don't want to sink $300+ on an XRGB ;_;... Guess I'll have to stick with a CRT for now. Which is kinda inconvenient in and of itself, because there's no room for it on the table underneath my bed, so I have to use another chair NEXT to the bed, and that chair has no armrests and argh first world problems

dude, just blow the 300. So worth it. The upscaling, the removal of a CRT, and on top of that, the scanlines. Gives you RGB support if you want to upgrade to SCART cables (cheap, relatively).

S-Video and RGB are close, but colors are noticeably better on RGB.

I'm really impressed. The games look how I remember them to look.

IrishNinja

Shadow Hog is where i was a few months ago...i used a new TV that lacked s-video to rationalize my XRGB purchase; he'll come around eventually

Parallacs

Ha, that's funny! I was going to bid on that one, but ended up sleeping in haha.

Glad you won the auction for a pretty decent price.

Haha. With only one or two auctions ending each week, I figured some people on GAF would have it on their watch list. I hate the thought of bidding against other people on here. Thankfully, I'm done with eBay for a long time.

dude, just blow the 300. So worth it. The upscaling, the removal of a CRT, and on top of that, the scanlines. Gives you RGB support if you want to upgrade to SCART cables (cheap, relatively).

I'm really impressed. The games look how I remember them to look.
Well, it's around that price on Amazon.co.jp (at current exchange rates, according to Google)... I'm concerned that it might not be possible to ship it overseas, though, since it's a "fulfilled by" item, and third-parties tend to be more hesitant to shipping their product outside the country, I hear. It's more expensive everywhere else... Wonder how awful shipping would be, heh.

(Also I don't really care for scanlines, I just want a clean image <_<)

Oh! Right, there's also the logistics of finding a spare plug. Only reason the CRT can even be plugged in right now is thanks to my sister reclaiming her N64. I know there are those Genesis/Sega CD combo plugs from that one guy, which COULD free up a socket, but I'm kinda wary of third-party power cords...

Teknoman

Yeah the only reason I went RGB for Saturn and Genesis is because the cables are pretty easy to find/no modding necessary. N64 and SNES S-video are easy to find so that was a no-brainer for me.

bodine1231

Just buy a Sony Pvm CRT and a set of cables and your good to go. Just make sure you pick one up with low mileage. You don't have to drop 300+ on an xrgb.

Jhriad

Oh my - http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=10&threadid=88834

Earthbound, Demon's Crest and shit loads more.
$4 each... :(

All games were $4 each

What the fuck?! Why can't I find these deals? :(

EDIT: Just noticed the boxed Bonk's Adventure. Blargh.

Where'd you end up getting your NTSC SCART cable for your SNES?

Yeah the only reason I went RGB for Saturn and Genesis is because the cables are pretty easy to find/no modding necessary. N64 and SNES S-video are easy to find so that was a no-brainer for me.

I feel like RGB on Genesis is a necessity because a stock system is incapable of S-Video and the composite output is very bad, barely above RF. RGB looks so much better than any of the other standard out of the box options.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So last spring I bought a huge lot of NES stuff from a fellow on Craigslist in my town for an excellent price. He just texted me out of the blue and said he's looking to sell his SNES collection in the next week or two and wanted to know if I was interested. I am really excited to see what he has for sale.

So last spring I bought a huge lot of NES stuff from a fellow on Craigslist in my town for an excellent price. He just texted me out of the blue and said he's looking to sell his SNES collection in the next week or two and wanted to know if I was interested. I am really excited to see what he has for sale.

Awesome. I hope you hit paydirt!

Credo

Good luck! I used to look at all the Craigslist areas in my state every morning, but after several months, not a single good deal showed up. Every retro game listing had the seller comparing his prices to eBay's, so there was at most maybe $5 to be saved.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck! I used to look at all the Craigslist areas in my state every morning, but after several months, not a single good deal showed up. Every retro game listing had the seller comparing his prices to eBay's, so there was at most maybe $5 to be saved.
There's one guy here who posts shitty ads looking for above eBay prices for stuff constantly. Between that and people selling their old Call of Duty & Guitar Hero games, there's not much there. I do run into good deals on occasion, though they're few and far between. I got a copy of Pokemon Fire Red for $20 a couple weeks ago, that NES deal last year, and a couple good GameCube deals (new BG&E for $15, Smash & Mario Kart for $15).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just buy a Sony Pvm CRT and a set of cables and your good to go. Just make sure you pick one up with low mileage. You don't have to drop 300+ on an xrgb.
I was like "lol I'll never be able to find one of these locally" but I checked Kijiji in the town I'm travelling to this weekend, and sure enough someone is selling two PVM-20L1s. Or, maybe was? The listing is almost a month old but I figured I'd reach out just in case. A 90 lb monitor is so much better than the 150 lb behemoth I have now.

Uh, if I get it what do I need to hook stuff up to it? I assume some sort of splitter to allow a SCART input or something?

Edit: Hrmph. It seems this one doesn't support RGB. S-video only. Bummer.

inner-G

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen an astonishingly good deal on Craigslist.
I got a black NGC with digital-out for components and Zelda Collector's disc for $20.

I also bought a big box of NES CiB games for $10 once, like a dozen games including Castlevania I and III, and Maniac Mansion.

Top Bottom