• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I was able to pick up two Sony PVM-20L1s this weekend for $50 each. Both were manufactured in 2003. These are the entry level models with no RGB, s-video only, but I still think it should be an improvement on my 36" JVC CRT which is a beast. The trick is going to be getting that thing out of my house. Ugh.

My friend is taking the other one. The video output is cool, and I know he wants to use it to capture some games. So we might start doing that to pass the time.

Linkhero1

I really need to find me a better tv option. I'm currently playing on my Panasonic Viera + S-Video :(

Looks better than my previous LCD though.

Chucker

I really need to find me a better tv option. I'm currently playing on my Panasonic Viera + S-Video :(

I had an older LG LCD that had S-Video that I sold when I got my larger Viera. I wish I would have kept the old TV, but sold it for $150.

Now I'm just looking for a 19 incher or so with S-Video that I can throw in my closet of my game room when I'm not using it.

televator

That's what I was rocking. It's actually not too bad. Definitely better than what an LCD will give you, but still needs scan lines.

televator

Looked up PVM on my local craigslist.... 80 bucks for an 8 inch monitor... NOPE.

And another thin: Did they even make PVMs in sizes bigger than 20"? My Trinitron is a 26 inch and that I can live with. 20 and bellow... that's just indecent. :p

emb

The big Moldorm is like the most memorable boss in its game, but probably the most annoying to fight too. I remember constantly running up there thinking I was all prepared, falling down, raging, then repeating. Eventually I'd win, and it would seem like such an easy fight.

Chucker

Now I'm conflicted. Somebody in my area has a PVM20M4U (20 inch PVM) new in box for $100. It's about an hour away from here, but I have the feeling that it'd be totally worth it.

Linkhero1

this was totally my setup before the XRGB, and it was pretty good by me...way better than composite!

Yeah. I'm fine with it so far, but I could really use a good CRT or XRBG after seeing some of the pics in this thread. Saving a little bit from each pay so I can get a good PVM or an XRGB in the near future.

Chucker

New in box? That's an incredible deal. Do it.

The post was from 4/22. I asked if he still had it. That being said, what would I need to do in order to hook my SNES/NES to that bad boy. I'd assume audio would go out to my system directly instead of through the TV since it only has mono.

RazorEdge

Banned
I just found this thread and over 100 pages are not easy to go through:

Read about that XRGB thing. Is that the thing to go??
Saw the pictures a few pages back, looks very nice.

I am currently in Japan and wanted to start my retro collection now that I will finish my Master's in October.
I also found this review: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/framemeister.html
But I am new to this whole deinterlace, scaling etc. thing.

The post was from 4/22. I asked if he still had it. That being said, what would I need to do in order to hook my SNES/NES to that bad boy. I'd assume audio would go out to my system directly instead of through the TV since it only has mono.

For best picture from your SNES, you would need a 21-pin SNES RGB cable and a BNC converter so it can plug into the PVM.

The big Moldorm is like the most memorable boss in its game, but probably the most annoying to fight too. I remember constantly running up there thinking I was all prepared, falling down, ragining, then repeating. Eventually I'd win, and it would seem like such an easy fight.
With me it's total luck. I can land the first 5 hits free, but once he speeds up all bets are off lol. Even when I take my time.

Reclaimer

I just found this thread and over 100 pages are not easy to go through:

Read about that XRGB thing. Is that the thing to go??
Saw the pictures a few pages back, looks very nice.

I am currently in Japan and wanted to start my retro collection now that I will finish my Master's in October.
I also found this review: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/framemeister.html
But I am new to this whole deinterlace, scaling etc. thing.

That XRGB-mini Framemeister review is pretty much the best introduction to the best upscaler there is. Living in Japan, you should be able to pick one up for a good amount less than us in the States.

I just got my first Super Famicom game in the mail:

a4AN708h.jpg

QapzMKph.jpg

Krelian

I just got my first Super Famicom game in the mail:
Nice. One day I'll get this game too.

I got my first US SNES game today, all my other games are PAL. It's just Donkey Kong Country, so it's nothing special at all, but at least it was cheap (€1 + postage).

The text on the back label is in English and French. Does that mean it's actually a Canadian version or did all US games have French text on the back? I hope that doesn't mean it's in French :p Right now I can't test it.

Nice. One day I'll get this game too.

It's pretty fun, but it's pretty damn hard. I keep losing, like...two continues against the first boss, and then getting Game Over in the second stage. I might just really suck at it, not sure.
Oh, it's also the only Sailor Moon game that got a release outside of Japan, which was a French PAL release.

I got my first US SNES game today, all my other games are PAL. It's just Donkey Kong Country, so it's nothing special at all, but at least it was cheap (€1 + postage).

The text on the back label is in English and French. Does that mean it's actually a Canadian version or did all US games have French text on the back? I hope that doesn't mean it's in French :p Right now I can't test it.

I just checked my US copy, along with a few other games, and they all had English, French, and Spanish on the back, so you should be good, I guess.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My wife & I got drunk and played Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R this weekend. We got to the last boss on SM before running out of continues. Didn't think to look in the options menu. Had we set it to 5 we would've won easily. Set it to 5 for R and I ran out of continues at the end but she had enough lives to finish the boss fight. Fun games.

Last week my friend & I played through Rushing Beat Shura which was a blast. We also played a bit of Sunset Riders and Pocky & Rocky.

Nice to have these dedicated older console threads floating around.

Wouldn't mind picking up a PVM monitor. I have some random Sony Trinitron. Image on it looks really great to me though. SNES games look sharp. I do notice some ghosting of moving sprites against a black background but that couldn't be more minor to me.

My SNES collection is pretty tiny. Most of it is from thrift shops (I think I got Chrono Trigger for a dollar, might have been five). Other thrift shop pick ups include DKC, Super Metroid, Super Mario All-Stars, and ALTTP (all of these were under $5, seemed like a good enough deal). It's all cart only but that is fine for me as taking care of boxes stresses me out. I think I have 2 SNES systems; one from eBay one from a thrift shop.

I'm just happy to run into a game I want every once in awhile. I had a moment of collector craziness with the Genesis but I don't think I'm going to spend that kind of money anymore.

Chucker

I'm just happy to run into a game I want every once in awhile. I had a moment of collector craziness with the Genesis but I don't think I'm going to spend that kind of money anymore.

I'm glad I got most of my big dollar items out of the way before it got REAL dumb. I keep myself restricted to games I had when I was a kid/teen(RPG's etc) and games I wanted but wasn't able to get(Gundam Wing Endless Duel, other SFC games). I wouldn't mind getting Lufia 1/2, Chrono Trigger(Have it on DS), but I'm not heartbroken if I don't.

Chucker

I'm gonna ask that guy to hold the PVM til Saturday, since he's an hour away. That being said, I want to be ready to play as soon as I get it. To hook the NES up will I just need a female RCA to male BNC? I'll use S-Video on the SNES until I get a scart to bnc frankenstein monster made.

Reclaimer

iCWeUd0l.jpg

$30 craigslist tv for my improved SNES setup!

Awesome! You gotta' roll with a S-Video cable. Tune the sharpness (and other image settings a bit) and you'll be golden. You may have got it for the excellent picture, but the speakers on these guys is great for retro games too!

STG!

Just curious but where are you guys finding these PVM monitors?

I've just dealt directly with businesses who deal in the professional market. You can also find companies who liquidate other companies assets and find these monitors looking to clear them out. You gotta just start looking, and send out an email or make a phone call or two. They're more abundant out on the west coast, no surprise there.

And another thin: Did they even make PVMs in sizes bigger than 20"?

Yep, there's a 25" (which I owned in the past) and a 29". The BVM goes up to 32" but it's widescreen, although still capable of displaying pixel perfect low res RGB.

There are other even larger professional RGB CRT's out there in the wild. Mitsubishi made a few, although you don't see those quite often.

Folks in the thread finally catching on to the XRGB, eh? I posted about it way back but no one seemed to pick up on it. I keep eyeing the dollar to yen conversion rate to wait for the right time to get one. Not sure if I'll ever pull the trigger but it's actuall cheaper now than it was a few months ago, thanks to the much weaker yen.

Reclaimer

I'm pretty sure that TV has component inputs. RGB SCART -> YUV Component transcoder would provide the best image on that set. It would be an improvement over S-Video.

Forgot about the component inputs on the Trinitrons! RGB toYUV would for sure be a decent improvement.

Espo83

Yes it does have component and I do plan on eventually getting RGB setup for most of my consoles. I did grab a SNES s video but unfortunately it seems the S video port on this tv is flaky.

After going through the service manual I'm planning on pulling it apart to adjust the convergence in the upper left corner. While I'm in there Ill probably re-solder the S video port.

My only real complaint on this tv is how huge it is. I was looking for a 27 inch model, this was listed as 32 inches... turns out its a 36.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 27" SD Trinitron and that mother is 166lbs. I can't imagine how much a 36" would weigh.
My friend had a 36" Panasonic Tau that he moved up two flights of stairs. That SOB had to weigh 250 lbs. I have a 36" JVC, not flat screen that I assume is close to 200. I'm going to try to move that this weekend. D:

Linkhero1

Ah. I looked for PVM monitors on craigslist in my area and all I can find are 14 inches. I'd love a 20 inch monitor. :(

Gonna try looking weekly in hopes of snatching one up.

Chucker

Tate is short for Rotate, put the monitor on it's side so that a vertical shoot em up looks as it did in the arcade.

Like this:
gamejoy-mushihime-tate.jpg

Jhriad

So I'm in the middle of packing/re-packing things for a move in a few weeks and I decided to test all my systems and games while I was moving everything into more organized containers. Pull out the SNES from my childhood, hook it up, flip the switch and... nothing. It doesn't power up at all. There I sat, utterly crestfallen over the loss of a bit of my childhood. Fuck. It's like I just got the call that my childhood pet has passed away. Now I'm scouring the internet in the hopes that I can revive it. :(

Grieves

I found my SNES in the shed at the weekend. I've got a few carts but the controllers don't work.

I was going to throw it away, but this thread has made me wonder if it's actually worth anything.

GAF, what is your advice?

Jhriad

I found my SNES in the shed at the weekend. I've got a few carts but the controllers don't work.

I was going to throw it away, but this thread has made me wonder if it's actually worth anything.

Does the SNES itself work? Even for parts it might be worth something. (I might be interested)

What games do you have? The SNES probably won't be worth much, but when it comes to games, even common titles and million-sellers are worth something in the current market.

Top Bottom