• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Grieves

System itself was working a couple of years ago. I'll check it when I manage to get the kids off the TV.

Games:

Super MarioKart
Yoshi's Island
Starwing
Super Mario World
Cool Spot
Sim City
Fifa International Soccer
Super Empire Strikes Back
F-Zero

Jhriad

System itself was working a couple of years ago. I'll check it when I manage to get the kids off the TV.

Games:

Super MarioKart
Yoshi's Island
Starwing
Super Mario World
Cool Spot
Sim City
Fifa International Soccer
Super Empire Strikes Back
F-Zero

Can you put up some links to some photos? Curious as to the condition of everything. Labels, etc. How much are you looking to get?

Went out on the hunt today. Nothing major, but Kirby Super Star for $10 made me pretty damn happy, especially since it's in fantastic condition:

RZXxvPY.jpg

Love me some NBA Jam also. Wish it was Tournament Edition, but oh well, have them both on Genesis any way.

Jhriad

Went out on the hunt today. Nothing major, but Kirby Super Star for $10 made me pretty damn happy, especially since it's in fantastic condition:

You're not kidding about the condition. Nice find. Those prices are REALLY reasonable. I wish I could find SNES games for those prices around here.

Chucker

Love me some NBA Jam also. Wish it was Tournament Edition, but oh well, have them both on Genesis any way.

Wow, my wife got me Kirby SS for Christmas off eBay for $20 and I thought that was good.

Nice haul!

You're not kidding about the condition. Nice find. Those prices are REALLY reasonable. I wish I could find SNES games for those prices around here.

Yeah, this place is awesome. It sucks they don't really seem to carry Genesis games much, and what they do have seem to never have their cases. Gonna be painful trying to pump up my Genesis collection after enjoying all these below internet prices items for NES/SNES.

Tate is short for Rotate, put the monitor on it's side so that a vertical shoot em up looks as it did in the arcade.

What sort of bizarre retconning is this? It is just a short form of rotate. It always has been.
I got the backup from Mikhal in another thread.

From http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=9665

The word “tate” comes from a Japanese adjective which means “vertical,” and is pronounced “tah-teh,” though the common mispronunciation of “tayte” has gained semi-acceptance. Also commonly spelled with all capital letters (“TATE”), though it is not an acronym.

There are two incorrect “origins” of the word which are commonly heard: one states that “tate” simply comes from the English word “rotate,” and the other states that the word comes from the Japanese verb “tateru,” which means “to stand.” Both are false.

Hey anyone have tips on how to restore the proper color to a cart? I have a cart where the back portion is discolored. Tried just goo-gone, windex but those didn't seem to do a thing.

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with

r1RUsgFl.jpg

It doesn't show up that well in photo but the back is quite a different color

Zing

Banned
I like my carts to be clean, and I value condition, but being concerned enough for the rear half of a cart shell enough to consider chemical weaponry is pushing the limits of sanity!

My Ninja Warriors and Super Mario Kart look similar. I initially thought that someone had swapped the rear half, since the front half is perfectly fine.

I like my carts to be clean, and I value condition, but being concerned enough for the rear half of a cart shell enough to consider chemical weaponry is pushing the limits of sanity!

My Ninja Warriors and Super Mario Kart look similar. I initially thought that someone had swapped the rear half, since the front half is perfectly fine.

Normally I am not that picky either just curious if it was easy enough solution thought I'd clean it up. I also think my rear half was switched because the front it totally fine

-KRS-

Nah I don't think the backs are switched. It's pretty common with SFC carts from what I've seen, although I have to admit I don't think I've seen US carts that way. But it's probably because the two halves were manufactured at different places with different plastics that would discolor differently over the years.

Fox Mulder

Normally I am not that picky either just curious if it was easy enough solution thought I'd clean it up. I also think my rear half was switched because the front it totally fine

It's just different plastic parts assembled together that makes it look that way. I'm not really opposed to swapping backs myself, as long as it looks the same.

Jhriad

Yeah, this place is awesome. It sucks they don't really seem to carry Genesis games much, and what they do have seem to never have their cases. Gonna be painful trying to pump up my Genesis collection after enjoying all these below internet prices items for NES/SNES.

Genesis is pretty easy to find at reasonable prices. Especially if you're looking for CIB.

Grieves

Can you put up some links to some photos? Curious as to the condition of everything. Labels, etc. How much are you looking to get?

I'll try and post pics tomorrow. I haven't got any boxes. Carts have been in the shed for a couple of years so not in a great condition. If the SNES still fires up I'll check what's working.

Hadn't thought about prices as I was gonna chuck the lot.

Also got Plok and Pilotwings.

Jhriad

Hadn't thought about prices as I was gonna chuck the lot.

Hell, if you're just going to throw it out I'll take the lot off your hands. I don't own most of those games and the system might be useful for parts even if it doesn't work.

Gotta love those plastic cases instead of cheap fragile cardboard. Too bad that bled over to the genesis at some point.

Yeah, as someone who wants stuff CIB if possible the Genesis has been a lot easier to find good prices on stuff that's in good condition. When you run into games with those crappy cardboard boxes though it becomes more of a pain. I wish Nintendo had used plastic cases for their games as well. My copy of Dai Kokai Jidai (Uncharted Waters) for the Famicom is in the original case and it's easily the best designed plastic case I've seen. Of course that game is heavy as hell plus lots of additional weight from the manual/map so it had to be sturdy.

Genesis is pretty easy to find at reasonable prices. Especially if you're looking for CIB.

Yeah. I kind of figure that's why Disc Replay doesn't really carry that many games for it. They sell things so cheap and Genesis games go for so little to begin with that I can't imagine how little they offer people for trade ins. Sucks 'cause I'd like to build up my Genesis collection as well, but just can't find it locally. Oh well, still tons of SNES and NES games to go.

Rhapsody

Banned
Feels bad. Was debating earlier whether to sell Earthbound because of the VC release. But there's also something about having the original for it and playing it on an SNES. Breaking even or making a profit would be nice, but who knows if I'll be able to find it again (that's if the prices goes down too).

I don't know how many people that visit this thread are from SoCal, but anyone know of any places that sell SNES games that don't primarily sell games? Most of the places have prices that are higher than they should be.

Chucker

Most of the places have prices that are higher than they should be.

I know that feel, bro. I always cringe when Stadium Events shows up in any form of press, because I know people are going to think they can charge $20 for Super Mario World.

I got my cart only Earthbound for $80 at the end of last year, I could certainly flip it for a profit, but I've sold Earthbound 3 times in my life and regretted it every single time.

Also: Does anybody know anybody(or anywhere) that makes a female scart to RGB BNC? There was a guy on neogeo that did it and did it well, but now it seems like the market has dried up.

Fox Mulder

Feels bad. Was debating earlier whether to sell Earthbound because of the VC release. But there's also something about having the original for it and playing it on an SNES. Breaking even or making a profit would be nice, but who knows if I'll be able to find it again (that's if the prices goes down too).

I still want an earthbound cart real bad, and it looks like the VC has led to a slow decline in prices. It's down to the $150 range now from over $200, and Nintendo hadn't even announced a date.

made it to tower 2 in Terranigma...fucking criminal that this never came over here

It's fucking crazy how many games didn't make it over here. The fact this was released other places in English, and was the follow up to a pretty successful game makes it even stranger that it never came out here.

Reclaimer

It's fucking crazy how many games didn't make it over here. The fact this was released other places in English, and was the follow up to a pretty successful game makes it even stranger that it never came out here.

Good enough to pick up a repro? Or can I actually find an English version for my NTSC snes?

Good enough to pick up a repro? Or can I actually find an English version for my NTSC snes?

I own a repro of it, I know nothing about playing PAL games on a US system, if it's possible or what. I really enjoyed it, and would rank it second out of the three.

If you do look into a repro, that guy on Nintendo Age that was posted forever ago who is offering them for $25 bucks is up and running. You have to send him a donor cart, but if you happen to have a copy of NHL 95-97 of Madden 95-98, that's an amazing price.

Link

Chucker

I own a repro of it, I know nothing about playing PAL games on a US system, if it's possible or what. I really enjoyed it, and would rank it second out of the three.

If you do look into a repro, that guy on Nintendo Age that was posted forever ago who is offering them for $25 bucks is up and running. You have to send him a donor cart, but if you happen to have a copy of NHL 95-97 of Madden 95-98, that's an amazing price.

Link

That dude is a saint, I've been sending business his way on another forum I go to as well. I'm going thrifting this weekend, if I find one of the donors I'm picking up Terranigma.

Jhriad

Link

I need more donors for the second list. Only have 2 of those but I have like 8 for the first list. Blegh.

Parallacs

Thinking about buying this New SNES off ebay. Its currently at $220

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...1119525797?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4ac4371ba5

Any idea whats the max I should pay for this?

box looks like its in great shape

Wow that does look great. It's hard to set a max on something like this, though I think it would be hard to justify more than $300 due to the fact that I can get a good looking used one for $20 if I look hard enough.

Whenever I see these things, I always imagine the person opening the wrap would cause it to instantly yellow and then turn to dust.

Link

I think I'm gonna do this for FFV.

Is Return to Dinosaur Land any good?

Grieves

2013-05-09195855_zpsbc8caf18.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

@Jhriad

Not gonna have time to check the system out tonight. I'll check / photo it over the weekend, but it did take a photo of Yoshi's Island.

System and carts are PAL / UK

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
How funny would it be if the winner mails the free SMAS voucher to Nintendo?
My parents bought our SNES shortly before they started the SMAS offer. It was a few months at the minimum, might've been longer. But regardless, when my mom found out about it she wrote a letter to Nintendo and they sent us a copy of it for free any way. That was pretty cool.

If there's one thing Nintendo does right (amidst the sea of things it does wrong), it's gotta be customer service.

Well, that and great games, to some extent or another.

nephilim07

Neo Member
Being my favourite console, I've been meaning to collect quite a few snes games but have been preoccupied with another hobby (anime figurines). It really can get pricy if your impatient and/or ocd about complete box + manual (me). Cool though, this thread is making me want to start collecting soon but I might go the only super famicom route to save money.

I think the most depressing thing about this though is that I believe my copy of EarthBound was given to some random family friend's kid along with the snes without my consent and at this moment hes probably drawing on the cartridge with crayons *sigh* the pain.

IrishNinja

Link

That dude is a saint, I've been sending business his way on another forum I go to as well. I'm going thrifting this weekend, if I find one of the donors I'm picking up Terranigma.

hell yeah, i got Secret of Mana 2 & Terranigma on my first order, currently waiting on SMT 1 & 2, FF V & Firemen. that dude's amazing, thanks again for pointing me in that direction, Hero.

Yeah. Repro makers are buying this shit up. Gonna be funny one day when these Madden games are worth like $25 'cause of everyone wanting them for repros.

haha hadn't even thought of this....

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
hell yeah, i got Secret of Mana 2 & Terranigma on my first order, currently waiting on SMT 1 & 2, FF V & Firemen. that dude's amazing, thanks again for pointing me in that direction, Hero.

And there he just got another customer. SMT, Terranigma and freaking Seiken Densetsu 3? Im so getting into this repro-stuff. Thanks for pointing me in this direction!

Jhriad

He said he would be adding some more games that would work a while back. Anyone know if he has already done this? Haven't paid much attention to the list of possible games so I don't know if there were any changes.

IrishNinja

I'll go ask...he was on a delay recently with finals, but just PMd me to let me know the order should be ready soon. anything in particular you're looking for?

me, im gonna hold off on the ROMhacks/fan stuff until i get a good flashcart, but i'm all about original stuff with english translations. Terranigma's already feeling like a great call.

Jhriad

I'll go ask...he was on a delay recently with finals, but just PMd me to let me know the order should be ready soon. anything in particular you're looking for?

Nothing I'm looking for in particular. Not that I can think of at least. I'm sure there are things that could pop up that would interest me but I can't think of what they would be atm.

Chucker

SD3 is great. I thought I would have played more of it at the hotel room during pax-e this year but we ended up playing Tetris Attack and Super Bomberman 5 more.

Granted SB5 is 5 players, and there was a lot of drinking going on.

Yeah.

Top Bottom