• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

How funny would it be if the winner mails the free SMAS voucher to Nintendo?

I would. I wanted to send off some of my old saturn vouchers / a konami voucher, but none of them have the same address anymore...

Then again, I guess you could send it to the new address in an envelope. You might get something :p

I've got NHL 95 now and have no idea what my first SNES repro should be. I'm leaning toward Bahamut Lagoon or Treasure of the Rudras for starters...

I'm going to get the rest at some point, but those are both original titles, and i'd like to beat Illusion of Gaia before Terranigma. Of course that would mean i'd need to have Soul Blazer too...

IrishNinja

^i totally jumped into Terra before finishing either of those (came close in Illusion, years ago)...are they in any way connected?

Chucker

I played it when it came out, I beat it, but I couldn't tell you anything about it. If I'm gonna get Terranigma I feel like I should run through it again.

led4lyfe

I bought illusions of Gaia around 98' when EB was purging it's used SNES stock. I loved the music and the story was bizarre for a 10 year old me( i think i cried multiple times throughout the game) one of my favorite snes games and the graphics still hold up today.

I bought illusions of Gaia around 98' when EB was purging it's used SNES stock. I loved the music and the story was bizarre for a 10 year old me( i think i cried multiple times throughout the game) one of my favorite snes games and the graphics still hold up today.

My brother. I got it as soon as it came out after seeing it on some TV show. Got a T-shirt with it. Don't know whatever happened to it, used to wear it all the time. Love the shit out of the game. If it weren't for the sloppy translation fucking some things up, it'd be just about perfect.

I'm glad I got Demon's Crest when I did. The prices shot up some more.

Me too. Not that I got it for super cheap, but $50 for a pristine copy a few months ago made me pretty happy. I still haven't gotten the real ending. Need to get back to it.

EDIT: Holy shit, there are cart only copies going for $90+ these days!? And one that sold for $130. The fuck!?

D-e-f-

Banned
I played it when it came out, I beat it, but I couldn't tell you anything about it. If I'm gonna get Terranigma I feel like I should run through it again.

It's not like those two games are connected though. The Soul Blazer Trilogy is only connected thematically. Like BioShock Infinite and the original BioShock for example (unless I'm not aware of some late game spoiler in Infinite that brings both games into the same universe).

Terranigma's pure genius and excellence can be enjoyed completely independent of anything else. I never played Illusion of Time/Gaia when it came out (or Soul Blazer for that matter), only read about it and saw screenshots but Terranigma still remains one of my all time favorite games since playing it back in '96. I only just bought Illusion in 2007 or 2008 and played about a third of it I think. They play very very differently (and I still think Terranigma is superior, especially in how it plays).

Jhriad

EDIT: Holy shit, there are cart only copies going for $90+ these days!? And one that sold for $130. The fuck!?

The higher the price on pricecharting the more likely there are incorrect entries. The one that "sold" for $110 for instance? Sold for $90. The one that sold for $105? Actually a CIB entry not a Loose entry. Because it's a higher volume item those incorrect prices feed the price growth loop faster than usual. If you look around through entries you'll see items that supposedly sold for a higher value (they didn't actually sell for that) and the subsequent sales will see a slight increase in price because people see the prior sale and think they're getting a deal. Lower volume items will see realistic price pressure bring the price down somewhat but the higher volume items don't have the necessary time to pull the price down near original levels.

The easiest place to see this phenomenon is in the 'New' listings. The VGA items in particular are commonly listed at a price higher than what they eventually sold for and you'll see future VGA sales at higher prices. It's common enough that I often wonder if someone puts up a New item and bids on it with a dummy account and just has the dummy not pay. Item gets put back up on eBay for a price slightly lower than what the dummy account paid (but still higher than real market value), buyers see the dummy sale price on PC and think they're getting a deal, then the buyer gets screwed and the item gets sold for an artificially inflated price.

Heck, at a glance I can see that the first three entries for Demon Crest (New) are incorrect.

The higher the price on pricecharting the more likely there are incorrect entries. The one that "sold" for $110 for instance? Sold for $90. The one that sold for $105? Actually a CIB entry not a Loose entry. Because it's a higher volume item those incorrect prices feed the price growth loop faster than usual. If you look around through entries you'll see items that supposedly sold for a higher value (they didn't actually sell for that) and the subsequent sales will see a slight increase in price because people see the prior sale and think they're getting a deal. Lower volume items will see realistic price pressure bring the price down somewhat but the higher volume items don't have the necessary time to pull the price down near original levels.

The easiest place to see this phenomenon is in the 'New' listings. The VGA items in particular are commonly listed at a price higher than what they eventually sold for and you'll see future VGA sales at higher prices. It's common enough that I often wonder if someone puts up a New item and bids on it with a dummy account and just has the dummy not pay. Item gets put back up on eBay for a price slightly lower than what the dummy account paid (but still higher than real market value), buyers see the dummy sale price on PC and think they're getting a deal, then the buyer gets screwed and the item gets sold for an artificially inflated price.

Heck, at a glance I can see that the first three entries for Demon Crest (New) are incorrect.

I was just looking at sold copies on ebay.

$129.95
$94
$96
$86.90

Shit is insane.

linkboy

This is probably the gem of my SNES collection

IMG_1368.JPG

I only paid $2 for that and yes, it's the original factory seal (it had the original Montgomery Ward sticker on it when I got it). A lady brought it into my (now closed) local Play N Trade and they only offered her $1 (store credit) for it. She declined and I offered her $2 cash and she agreed.

Open that bad boy up and play it!

lol Montgomery Ward, that brings back memories...kind of haha. Memories of all the old malls that closed down around here and there are a ton.

It's cyclical...lol
I got rid of a 200+ collection and now felt like starting over. Just something about the SFC.
This time my goal is to only collect complete games and not loose ones.
I will be ordering an X-mini and hunting a Sony 8" monitor shortly as well
Famicom was $19 off of eBay
obmZJKrl.jpg

mr stroke

This is probably the gem of my SNES collection

I only paid $2 for that and yes, it's the original factory seal (it had the original Montgomery Ward sticker on it when I got it). A lady brought it into my (now closed) local Play N Trade and they only offered her $1 (store credit) for it. She declined and I offered her $2 cash and she agreed.

what a steal :eek:

Play N Trade didn't realize it was worth more than a $1?

I've been meaning to post my SNES collection for awhile but have been too lazy. Today I took my gaming collection town to clean and I snapped some pics.

SNES Collection
(Sorry if the image quality is so-so. My room doesn't have the best lighting.)

Some of the highlights are...
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2
StarFox
Link to the Past
Illusion of Gaia
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
F-Zero
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Phalanx (Not pictured above, I forgot to add it in)
Super Mario All-Stars
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Batman Returns
DKC 1,2,3
TMNT Tournament Fighters
TMNT 4: Turtles in Time

My Overall Collection

EDIT: Now that I have everything laid out I noticed I'm missing two games, Super Tennis and Super Mario RPG. UGh, it's going to bother me until I find those.

linkboy

what a steal :eek:

Play N Trade didn't realize it was worth more than a $1?

They went off of the barcode of the game when they rang it up and since Starfox isn't that rare of a game, it only came to $1 store credit (cash being a lot less).

The fact that it's still in it's original shrink-wrap didn't change what the computer has the price of the game at.

Oh well, their loss, my gain.

Fox Mulder

They went off of the barcode of the game when they rang it up and since Starfox isn't that rare of a game, it only came to $1 store credit (cash being a lot less).

The fact that it's still in it's original shrink-wrap didn't change what the computer has the price of the game at.

Oh well, their loss, my gain.

That's pretty funny. You'd think a business dealing in games would have condition pricing.

In my experience most "Play n Trade" style places don't really know that much about the collecting aspect. They just want to buy cheap and resell quickly.

Can't remember the last time I saw a video game store besides Gamestop though.

Chucker

Got that PVM20M4U off CL today, as listed it was NIB. How did I ever tell myself playing on a HDTV was ok, this thing is goregeous and I'm just using S-Video.
0ol7Gt2.jpg

GYxfxxx.jpg

qnPCJEd.jpg

I just gotta figure out what to do with it. Keeping it on the floor isn't gonna fly.

That's pretty funny. You'd think a business dealing in games would have condition pricing.

Yeah, I find it weird. I don't think those Disc/Mega Replays I get all my shit from differentiate condition either. It sucks finding something awesome there that's torn up, and knowing if they had it in better condition is would be the same price. Saw Final Fantasy 2 for $20 and Super Metroid for $25 there once, but both were too torn up for my collection.

Linkhero1

Ffffffffffff. I really need a 20inch PVM. :(

Checked CL and nothing in my local area.

Edit: Is $150 a good price for one? I can't seem to find any other ones and it's more expensive online.

Ramune

Ffffffffffff. I really need a 20inch PVM. :(

Checked CL and nothing in my local area.

Edit: Is $150 a good price for one? I can't seem to find any other ones and it's more expensive online.

It really depends on who's selling it and if their perception on how much it costs. Looking on eBay, 20" models can be had from the odd $50 to $300. Maybe put out an inquiry in your area. Check hospitals in your area too. I'm waiting on a few Olympus branded 20"ers at the one I work at (there was another Sony brand 20"er in a building across the street that's just sitting in storage. I should ask about that one!), and you can't believe how many have probably been tossed because of newer equipment replacing them!

IrishNinja

last page's pics of LTTP & others on XRGB mini inspired me (ive had tragically little time to fiddle with mine so far), popped in Zelda & messed with the settings...why the fuck did i have it on DVI?! going back & forth with 1080p x 60p and the 720 settings just for the scanlines - can't believe i've become one of you dirty scanline-loving lot; they're not perfect for every game but man do they sharpen some of em. and yeah, the colors on the open field in the midnight rain before you enter the castle...yeah, this was me

Olly88

You guys inspired me, so last night I dug out an old CRT that we had lying around and hooked up my NES and SNES to it, and wow... I've been missing out. Obviously I used to use a CRT years back when I used to play, but ever since I got back into buying NES and SNES games in 2010 I've been using my LCD so I forgot how clear they look.

I have to sit on the floor because it's smaller and lower down, but even that somehow feels better. I guess because it makes me feel like a kid again :)

Chucker

I have to sit on the floor because it's smaller and lower down, but even that somehow feels better. I guess because it makes me feel like a kid again :)

This is EXACTLY what happened to me last night while my TV was on the floor. At first I complained and then I had a weird sense of nostalgia.

Linkhero1

It really depends on who's selling it and if their perception on how much it costs. Looking on eBay, 20" models can be had from the odd $50 to $300. Maybe put out an inquiry in your area. Check hospitals in your area too. I'm waiting on a few Olympus branded 20"ers at the one I work at (there was another Sony brand 20"er in a building across the street that's just sitting in storage. I should ask about that one!), and you can't believe how many have probably been tossed because of newer equipment replacing them!

I'll definitely do that. What's the model number for the Olympus 20'' CRTs?

Reclaimer

last page's pics of LTTP & others on XRGB mini inspired me (ive had tragically little time to fiddle with mine so far), popped in Zelda & messed with the settings...why the fuck did i have it on DVI?! going back & forth with 1080p x 60p and the 720 settings just for the scanlines - can't believe i've become one of you dirty scanline-loving lot; they're not perfect for every game but man do they sharpen some of em. and yeah, the colors on the open field in the midnight rain before you enter the castle...yeah, this was me

Welcome to the club. :) Leave your wallet at the door.

My small SNES Collection:

Still, very high quality games! Looks nice!

Earthbound's got me a bit spooked.

Just left Threed, right. Desert, big traffic jam, frequent heatstroke, that area. Well, wandering around after a battle, I noticed Paula was facing the wrong way and was blue. She looked normal when heading left, but when heading right, she was definitely facing left and her skin was miscolored. No status ailments I could tell (I'd just cured her of poison with a vial of serum or whatever it is those scorpions drop). Very peculiar.

Anyway, I head to a hole in the ground... Small cavern, nothing of particular interest in it. Paula looks normal now. Okay, so maybe the game glitched up a little but is fine now?

Wrong. As I double back to leave the hole, all three turn blue, then the screen turns black with only Ness visible (still blue), before he, too, disappears. A few seconds later, the screen flashes purple with an accompanying jingle. This can't be right, I decide, so I turn the SNES off.

Jeez. I hope this is just a case of me not cleaning the contacts as thoroughly as I should've.

Ramune

I'll definitely do that. What's the model number for the Olympus 20'' CRTs?

OEV203 but really, they're just rebranded Sony 20" PVMs.

There's also a 14"er too, but not sure the model number. Most likely OEV143. In fact, there's listings for these branded PVMs on eBay and some listings are bit more reasonable. But then there's shipping. Maybe check your CL listings for these too. Hopefully this is a help to others too!

Teknoman

Earthbound's got me a bit spooked.

Just left Threed, right. Desert, big traffic jam, frequent heatstroke, that area. Well, wandering around after a battle, I noticed Paula was facing the wrong way and was blue. She looked normal when heading left, but when heading right, she was definitely facing left and her skin was miscolored. No status ailments I could tell (I'd just cured her of poison with a vial of serum or whatever it is those scorpions drop). Very peculiar.

Anyway, I head to a hole in the ground... Small cavern, nothing of particular interest in it. Paula looks normal now. Okay, so maybe the game glitched up a little but is fine now?

Wrong. As I double back to leave the hole, all three turn blue, then the screen turns black with only Ness visible (still blue), before he, too, disappears. A few seconds later, the screen flashes purple with an accompanying jingle. This can't be right, I decide, so I turn the SNES off.

Jeez. I hope this is just a case of me not cleaning the contacts as thoroughly as I should've.

Or a new creepy pasta in the works...
250px-Giygas.png

But seriously, it probably just needs a really thorough cleaning. Similar things happen to NES games (Power Blade for me in particular) when you dont give them a good swabbing. They slowly start to show glitchy graphics or all sorts of strange things.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I also posted these in the may pickups, may as well do it here too:

$25 for the 3 above

$28 for the 3 above Not a bad day at the swap meet. Oh and LOL at the Rare! on Illusion Of Gaia. :p

Sell that cart on eBay for $500, call it a special edition.
Well, that'd be ONE way to recoup money, heh.

But seriously, it probably just needs a really thorough cleaning. Similar things happen to NES games (Power Blade for me in particular) when you dont give them a good swabbing. They slowly start to show glitchy graphics or all sorts of strange things.
What gets me is that a thorough swabbing was the first thing I did with the cart when I got it... but I did give it another go, and I'm pretty sure I got more dirt on the 3 Q-Tips I used; faint, but present nonetheless. Here's hoping I'm not about to be attacked by the newest evil cartridge-inhabiting spirit, Blue Paula.

Also hope my save is okay.

Seems Retro Game Cables offers them on their website. I'll certainly be looking at getting those myself soon!

So many people on GAF kept telling me to learn to solder and make my own cables I finally listened and did just that. My first few were disasters, but I've gotten better. My cables certainly don't look as professional as those, but god they cost less than half their asking price...

Monoprice for the BNC and eBay for the SCART ends. Local electronics shop for solder, a gun and shrink wrap. I had cable strippers. That and patience are all you need.

Native 15kHz on a PVM is...nirvana.

Zing

Banned
Montgomery Ward was a great place to shop for games. I use the word "shop" to mean browse, because their prices were ridiculously high.

I'm looking to pick up a Super Famicom system. Can anyone tell me, will my power supply for my North American SNES work with it?

No, it uses a different connector.

If you have a Famicom, PC Engine, or original Model 1 Sega Genesis/Mega Drive you can use that AC adapter.

mr stroke

Wow that does look great. It's hard to set a max on something like this, though I think it would be hard to justify more than $300 due to the fact that I can get a good looking used one for $20 if I look hard enough.

Whenever I see these things, I always imagine the person opening the wrap would cause it to instantly yellow and then turn to dust.

been outbid again, but I am done now. The new SNES is now up to $635 :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...1119525797?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4ac4371ba5

too rich for my blood :(

Top Bottom