• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

I got myself a boxed SNES with 6 games for $80 last month. My parents threw away my old boxes and paperwork years ago.

OEV203 but really, they're just rebranded Sony 20" PVMs.

There's also a 14"er too, but not sure the model number. Most likely OEV143. In fact, there's listings for these branded PVMs on eBay and some listings are bit more reasonable. But then there's shipping. Maybe check your CL listings for these too. Hopefully this is a help to others too!

Ahh. None in my area. Really considering dropping $150 on that PVM I saw.

Chucker

If you're looking for SNES/NES stuff I really can't recommend NintendoAge enough. Those guys consistently stay under eBay/Stupid CL prices because they're selling to people who are going to actually use them.

Of course every now and then you get a mom on CL tossing games out, I got Turtles in Time and Super Metroid for $5 last year. Had to drive 45 minutes out of the way, but totally worth it.

If you're looking for SNES/NES stuff I really can't recommend NintendoAge enough. Those guys consistently stay under eBay/Stupid CL prices because they're selling to people who are going to actually use them.

Of course every now and then you get a mom on CL tossing games out, I got Turtles in Time and Super Metroid for $5 last year. Had to drive 45 minutes out of the way, but totally worth it.

I need to revisit there...I need to finish my collection.

Grieves

I'm assuming you're located outside the US then? Didn't realize that. International shipping is expensive. :
Yeah I'm in the UK. I don't think it would be worth shipping to the US. Do PAL carts work in with US systems? I'll probably end up ebaying it.

Teknoman

Well at least she replied honestly, said it was a repro.

tumblr_m8444mKChe1qbzg93o1_250.gif

Chucker

I'm just glad that it doesn't seem that the ridiculousness won't become a precedent. Repro's are a hard pill to swallow enough for me at $50 for cart only.

IrishNinja

both of these points are true! they're a lot more fair, and yeah you can still get treasures on CL but you gotta pick them up quick, ive lost a few to waiting till my next day off

oh man, i gotta watch this one cause there can't be anyone who buys this

Why is there any value in repros?

there isn't, there's just people who don't know how repros work or the multitude of sites to find them on, sadly

entremet

My parents bought our SNES shortly before they started the SMAS offer. It was a few months at the minimum, might've been longer. But regardless, when my mom found out about it she wrote a letter to Nintendo and they sent us a copy of it for free any way. That was pretty cool.

I remember getting SMAS in the mail. I was never so happy in receiving a package lol. They just sent the manual, cart and cart cover in a padded envelope, no box for collectors.

Het_Nkik

I haven't posted in this thread yet but I just got this in the mail so now I want to.

Here's the rest of my collection:

Stuff is shiny because everything is in a box protector. Imports are The Adventures of Hourai High School, Bahamut Lagoon, Fire Emblem 3, Fire Emblem 4, and Ys IV and Ys V Expert.

I also have this limited edition Fire Emblem 5 set:

Oh, and here's my boxed copy of EarthBound up in the closet. Whatever :p

Searching for SNES (Hell, retro stuff in general) stuff on NYC craigslist is almost comically depressing.

People just put a bunch of search tags in their listings so aside from a handful of genuine listings, there's just stuff like "X360 BACKUP SERVICES BY DAN", "PSP 1001 MOD SNES EMULATORS", "DONT GO TO DAN HE'LL FUCK UP AND BRICK YOUR 360" among the genuine stuff.

Rhapsody

Banned
Searching for SNES (Hell, retro stuff in general) stuff on NYC craigslist is almost comically depressing.

People just put a bunch of search tags in their listings so aside from a handful of genuine listings, there's just stuff like "X360 BACKUP SERVICES BY DAN", "PSP 1001 MOD SNES EMULATORS", "DONT GO TO DAN HE'LL FUCK UP AND BRICK YOUR 360" among the genuine stuff.

Ugh, yeah. So many are tagged with Earthbound just because they know people are looking for it. It's annoying.

Also, what would you guys say would be a good price on the Lufia games and Breath of Fire? Been seeing some of them pop up, but I don't want to be spending more than I really should.

televator

Arizona is depressing in another way... It's devoid of any game that isn't the latest CoD release. Okay, it's not that bad, but it's almost impossible to find anything that didn't sell a bajillion copies.

Yeah. I get all that plus ticket listings to see the Knicks or Rangers or concerts. Why you showing up in my video game searches?

Chucker

Ugh, yeah. So many are tagged with Earthbound just because they know people are looking for it. It's annoying.

Also, what would you guys say would be a good price on the Lufia games and Breath of Fire? Been seeing some of them pop up, but I don't want to be spending more than I really should.

Lufia goes for around $35/40, and the lowest I've seen a cart only Lufia 2 is $65. I'd love to get those, but Chrono Trigger is above it on my list.

man, fuck Dan

is there any way to report those?

^nice!

also, i take back what i said about craigslist; sometimes they're fuckers

What was this? (listing is gone)

IrishNinja

What was this? (listing is gone)

ahaha, it was a $600 boxed (no manual) copy of Hagane. way too good condition, maybe someone flagged it as a repro?
there's another dude with a loose MUSHA cart that prolly wants about that much, he's just smart enough to list "$1 - CALL/TEXT ME FOR SPECIFICS"

led4lyfe

I must live next to the crappest Goodwills because the only videogame related items they ever have are sports PS2 games.

There's about 5 of 6 Goodwills/thrift stores in my area which I hit up about once a week and I've yet to find anything snes related besides a copy of Top gear. Is there a certain day goodwill puts out gaming items or something?? Guess ill have to hit up garage sales and hope to get lucky (Craigslist just has the same guy posting a ad about super smash tv for 20 bucks)

I must live next to the crappest Goodwills because the only videogame related items they ever have are sports PS2 games.

There's about 5 of 6 Goodwills/thrift stores in my area which I hit up about once a week and I've yet to find anything snes related besides a copy of Top gear. Is there a certain day goodwill puts out gaming items or something?? Guess ill have to hit up garage sales and hope to get lucky (Craigslist just has the same guy posting a ad about super smash tv for 20 bucks)

They often put them in their online auctions. I barely find any games at my Goodwills anymore and there are quite a few around.

Chucker

Yeah, after checking the goodwill auction site, I'm almost positive none of the games they get stay in the stores. Which is sad, because the one near me used to be a GOLD MINE.

Yeah, around the mid-2000s I got some good stuff at Goodwills but all the local ones now sell their games on their auction site.

Thing is, from what I've seen there aren't even any deals to be had there; games seem to sell the same or higher than eBay.

Parallacs

The Salvation Army's and St. Vincent de Paul's are still pretty fun to hunt in. But I mostly just get PC and PS1 games hidden in the music sections. I sometimes find boxed SNES games in the display cases.

led4lyfe

My brother lives in a different state and the goodwill he visits always has snes/nes/genesis stuff which apparently they sell half off on certain days(marked with a blue sticker?). He takes pictures of his hauls and sends them to me to rub it in :(

Tadale

I saw a loose Demon's Crest the other day for $45 at a local shop – I didn't pick it up, but glancing at the ebay prices it seems like a pretty good deal.

I saw a loose Demon's Crest the other day for $45 at a local shop – I didn't pick it up, but glancing at the ebay prices it seems like a pretty good deal.
Yeah, that one has blown up in the past few months. It it was in good condition, I'd say go for it. Even if you don't end up liking the game you could flip it without incurring any loss.

Might as well just check your phone for prices, use VGPC or ebay completed listings to know if you're getting a good deal or not. Unless you're a real pro and just know right off the bat haha.

Teknoman

The Salvation Army's and St. Vincent de Paul's are still pretty fun to hunt in. But I mostly just get PC and PS1 games hidden in the music sections. I sometimes find boxed SNES games in the display cases.

Thats another pro-tip that should be in the disc based retro threads. Always check the DVD and music sections. Always find great stuff there.

led4lyfe

I went to a D.A.V. Today, same old same old. Display case had 3 loose genesis sports carts, DVD shelf had ps2 madden games and that's it. Salvation army across the street I was able to find a complete copy of gran turismo hidden in the music section for a dollar. I checked the goodwill auction site and it looks like none of my shops are listed as sellers so maybe they sell games in stores?? Going to try making the rounds again tomorrow. Hell I'll take even those sports snes games needed for repros at this point.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I still find genesis games at Goodwills as well as PS1 and PS2. I have even found Saturn games (including Resident Evil which I traded for a Final Fight 3) and Odyssey 2 games, but I have to look elsewhere for Snes games. They just opened up a value village close to where I work, so I get to check there mid-week when i go to lunch at 11am. they do have snes games there on occasion, but I gotta be lucky.

One thing I gotta mention is mondays are usually bad days to go game hunting at thrift stores because they usually have only the bones left after the weekend. As the weekend approaches, I usually start finding games.

LostAnkh

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/944535_10201195902758393_135677121_n.jpg

Aww sheet. Ended up being about 12 dollars at my local retro chain thanks to store credit + a buy 2 get 1 deal.
Nice, just picked up Super Star Wars with Pilot Wings and F-Zero.

Oh wow, you can search for which stores in their respective states ship their stuff to the site? I've gotta take a look at that. Might have an idea of which stores to not bother going to, in that case.

IrishNinja

It's pretty much the only place I ever find anything of worth at thrift stores, yeah. Cartridge games are rare there.

presumably because they found the worth of them, ive bought more than a few loose genesis games on ebay from goodwill, usually around the same price as other sellers. they're onto us!

televator

GW clearance is still a good bet though... anything you find there, you pay for by the pound. If you got sharp eyes you can find the stuff other people miss... I scored a GBA and few Game boy games like that.

IrishNinja

holy fuck, if i did repro carts i'd flood ebay and put everyone else outta business...even at $50 you're making a fair profit i bet

Top Bottom