• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

linkboy

I went to a D.A.V. Today, same old same old. Display case had 3 loose genesis sports carts, DVD shelf had ps2 madden games and that's it. Salvation army across the street I was able to find a complete copy of gran turismo hidden in the music section for a dollar. I checked the goodwill auction site and it looks like none of my shops are listed as sellers so maybe they sell games in stores?? Going to try making the rounds again tomorrow. Hell I'll take even those sports snes games needed for repros at this point.

I managed to find a sealed copy of FF: Tactics for the PS1 at my local Goodwill.

presumably because they found the worth of them, ive bought more than a few loose genesis games on ebay from goodwill, usually around the same price as other sellers. they're onto us!
Well, I meant thrift stores in general, not just Goodwill.

I did a thrift store run two Saturdays ago, and have nothing to show for it, regrettably.

Fox Mulder

I went to a D.A.V. Today, same old same old. Display case had 3 loose genesis sports carts, DVD shelf had ps2 madden games and that's it. Salvation army across the street I was able to find a complete copy of gran turismo hidden in the music section for a dollar. I checked the goodwill auction site and it looks like none of my shops are listed as sellers so maybe they sell games in stores?? Going to try making the rounds again tomorrow. Hell I'll take even those sports snes games needed for repros at this point.

Some goodwill stores will ship their items to other locations to be sold online.

I only stop by goodwill if I'm near them already. I pass two coming home from work and have only found a couple things over months. I got my n64 with expansion pak and psone slim there for a few bucks, as well as a couple of controllers and low value games.

It's incredibly random on what people give them, if they sell it online, or even when they put things on shelves.

Jhriad

Oh wow, you can search for which stores in their respective states ship their stuff to the site? I've gotta take a look at that. Might have an idea of which stores to not bother going to, in that case.

This isn't a good indicator of whether or not your store sells on shopgoodwill. I know the one Goodwill locally that sells there actually ships everything that is going to be auctioned to the Waco store so when you're searching it shows up as from the store in Waco not the one in Bryan. Make sure to ask the folks at the store what happens to the old game stuff. If you ask the right folks they'll tell you whether or not they're shipping them off to be auctioned.

Thankfully the other Goodwill here still sells games. I've seen several systems but it's rare to see many games there for more than a few days. I've started stopping by 2-3 times a week to have a better chance at catching items and it's been working. Thankfully it's on the route I take to some of my work so I can just stop by. Also, if you're going to stop by you might try to get there between eleven and twelve. They seem to do a lot of their restocking (at my store) early in the morning and they're usually wrapping it up around then. Always check display cases since that's the typical place you'll find cartridge games. If it's a SNES game it'll only be in store for a maximum of 3 days and that's if it's something lame like Super Bases Loaded. N64/Genesis games seem to stick around for a tad longer depending on title but still less than 4-5 days.

Another tip unrelated to Goodwill, if you're hunting at yard sales or garage sales make sure to ask the sellers if they have anything. Be specific and broad in what you're looking for. They might not know what a "SNES" or "NES" is but they'll remember they have an "old gray Nintendo with those gray box/cart games" if you ask about it. If you have even the smallest interest in other systems include them in your spiel. You'll have folks hear what you're asking about and remember that they have games/systems stuffed away in the attic or back in the garage. Always ask.

Shopgoodwill.com

Don't sweat it though, no deals to be had there.

Yep. There's not enough volume for people to be able to compare prices easily so the items on shopgoodwill rarely sell for below eBay prices. It's a giant waste of time to bother with it from what I've seen.

Chucker

Whenever I go to thrift stores, or yard sales I start off "Hey, do you have any Nintendo, or Super Nintendo games?". If I sense some waivering, I'll reinforce it with something like "You know, the old ones, from like the 80's/90's". That usually gives me a conclusive answer.

Jhriad

Whenever I go to thrift stores, or yard sales I start off "Hey, do you have any Nintendo, or Super Nintendo games?". If I sense some waivering, I'll reinforce it with something like "You know, the old ones, from like the 80's/90's". That usually gives me a conclusive answer.

I generally include Sega & Atari in there as it gives people a better idea of the period I'm looking for. People have a tendency to lump a lot of Nintendo stuff together when they hear 'Nintendo' so I'll get some positive replies but it'll end up being Wii games or something like that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lol, you could fill those bags with weed and nobody would question the writing.

and I don't even smoke.

I hardly do, but when I do it usually involves retro games (or watching retro game videos)... something about smoking + retro games just goes great together, like peanut butter and jelly.

Leonsito

Just bought some SNES games, made a family pic with another games of the same order:

F-Zero was one of the games I always wanted and never bought for no reason, and Young Merlin and Tiny Toons bring me back to very good memories.

Next on my list: Castlevania IV and Goof Troop.

Het_Nkik

Just bought some SNES games, made a family pic with another games of the same order:

F-Zero was one of the games I always wanted and never bought for no reason, and Young Merlin and Tiny Toons bring me back to very good memories.

Next on my list: Castlevania IV and Goof Troop.

This picture is making me feel bad for PAL box arts.

Only other issue I see with thrift stores is that their prices on games can get pretty crazy...they ask 30 bucks for an old old sports game and then charge ebay prices sometimes for the SNES games...=X

Teknoman

Just got my Rockman games in from Japan,$50 shipped,not to bad!

For all 3?

Friday-daaaamn.gif

Is there a definitive or GAF approved list of SNES romhacks?

I just looked in to Metroid Ice Metal. I can't remember the name of the popular Zelda hacks and I don't think I've found a Super Mario Land hack that isn't ridiculously difficult.

Linkhero1

People don't realize they're repros, and are overpricing everything SNES-related. I can only imagine that's what's happening.

Not necessarily the only reason, but it may have some effect on rising prices. People are holding onto their SNES games so there aren't as many available as there were a few years back. Prices are going no where but up at this point. I do hope it crashes but I'm very doubtful.

IrishNinja

What timezone :p

BEAST coast, EST!

the last of my SNES repros came in (man jjrepro from NintendoAge is the best): Firemen, FF V, SMT 1 & 2. add that to the last haul of Secret of Mana 2 & Terranigma and ive got tons of hours of 16-bit action/JRPG goodness ahead of me.

mltplkxr

ahaha, it was a $600 boxed (no manual) copy of Hagane. way too good condition, maybe someone flagged it as a repro?
there's another dude with a loose MUSHA cart that prolly wants about that much, he's just smart enough to list "$1 - CALL/TEXT ME FOR SPECIFICS"

This post prompted me to look up Hagane on eBay. One my favorite hidden gems on the SNES. During my collecting years, I would come across that cart often and it was dirt cheap. Operation Logic Bomb cheap. Why is it so expensive now? Rarity?

For all 3?

Note that price includes shipping and probably some profit for whoever sent them, depending on where they came from.

I got Megaman X3 for 1200 yen, I found a copy of X2 for 100 at a recycle store (used merchandise store), and I passed up X several times because it was always in stock and usually riduculously cheap. X3 probably goes for double that in big city chains like Super Potato.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen any copies of X in a few months, and Super Famicom games have gone up a bit in price overall at some of the stores I frequent. My closest Comp Off, which used to have a ton of games for 100 yen, now marked all their SFC games up to 300 yen minimum and has reduced their overall volume, but they have some great games pretty cheap, like CIB Fire Emblem: Geneaology of Holy War for 700 yen (got mine loose for almost double that).

And yes, there are still several copies of X3 at the store where I picked my copy up, mostly for 1500 yen a pop.

This post prompted me to look up Hagane on eBay. One my favorite hidden gems on the SNES. During my collecting years, I would come across that cart often and it was dirt cheap. Operation Logic Bomb cheap. Why is it so expensive now? Rarity?

Yeah, apparently it was a rental only, so the situation is similar to the North American Final Fight Guy or Flintstones 2 NES

Yeah, apparently it was a rental only, so the situation is similar to the North American Final Fight Guy or Flintstones 2 NES
At least with Final Fight Guy, I can safely feel smugly superior knowing I already own the far-superior Sega CD conversion of Final Fight, where I can play a 2-player co-op game with Cody and Guy in Rolento's stage. ;P

Teknoman

At least with Final Fight Guy, I can safely feel smugly superior knowing I already own the far-superior Sega CD conversion of Final Fight, where I can play a 2-player co-op game with Cody and Guy in Rolento's stage. ;P

Best soundtrack too.

Btw would importing Demon's Crest be worth it (Demon's Blazon) or would Japanese be a barrier? Used to have the game eons ago...found it cheap in a local game store around the PS1/Saturn days, and probably traded it to Toys R Us for something stupid.

IrishNinja

i tell myself the same thing, but not being able to find my copy of the orange cart, i assume i lent it to a friend in the day or traded it...god knows i only wish i had it now to trade for something nice, heh

but yeah, Sega-CD version is the definitive one, and shits on it from a high place

i tell myself the same thing, but not being able to find my copy of the orange cart, i assume i lent it to a friend in the day or traded it...god knows i only wish i had it now to trade for something nice, heh

but yeah, Sega-CD version is the definitive one, and shits on it from a high place

While I dig the CD soundtrack. Arcade/PSN/XBLA is the definite version.
Though, that DRM is ass.

Btw would importing Demon's Crest be worth it (Demon's Blazon) or would Japanese be a barrier? Used to have the game eons ago...found it cheap in a local game store around the PS1/Saturn days, and probably traded it to Toys R Us for something stupid.
Hmm, is Blazon even that much cheaper? Maybe it used stores in Japan but yooo the online resale prices are lol.

Tadale

For stuff like the Mega Man X games, I'm pretty content with just having the japanese versions. Prices on X3 are too high for me.

For stuff like the Megaman X games, I'm pretty content with just having the japanese versions. Prices on X3 are too high for me.

Speaking of this, does anyone know how the ports on the Megaman X collection on PS2/Gamecube are? Considering the value vs getting the carts and discs separately, I can't imagine the ports are very good since no one talks about it.

Krelian

Speaking of this, does anyone know how the ports on the Megaman X collection on PS2/Gamecube are? Considering the value vs getting the carts and discs separately, I can't imagine the ports are very good since no one talks about it.
Not great but not too bad either. There are sound issues like the music not looping. Instead it stops at one point and starts again. Also the X3 version has the inferior PS1 soundtrack. All in all the ports are alright but I still prefer to play the games on the SNES.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not great but not too bad either. There are sound issues like the music not looping. Instead it stops at one point and starts again. Also the X3 version has the inferior PS1 soundtrack. All in all the ports are alright but I still prefer to play the games on the SNES.

Superior PS1 soundtrack, you mean. The SNES version's music sounded like the devil shouting in your ear.

While the music does loop on the collection, there are also a couple other minor amenities, like the games not having any slowdown, and an actual save system being in place. I prefer the collection, personally.

Credo

For stuff like the Mega Man X games, I'm pretty content with just having the japanese versions. Prices on X3 are too high for me.

Usually I'm not like this, but after seeing the prices for the SNES Mega Man X games, I'm fine with having the PS2 collections. It's one of the few times I've forced myself to be OK with it. I still get tempted when I see you all talk about it in this thread, but all I have to do is go to eBay to reset myself.

Teknoman

Man I wish I was trying to rebuild in 07.

Superior PS1 soundtrack, you mean. The SNES version's music sounded like the devil shouting in your ear.

While the music does loop on the collection, there are also a couple other minor amenities, like the games not having any slowdown, and an actual save system being in place. I prefer the collection, personally.

They butchered Blast Hornet, Gravity Beetle, and Acid Seahorse...I mean they just sound kinda off compared to the SNES.

I hate to gloat, but I'm so glad I covered my bases on SNES collecting back around 2000-2003. Shit's insane now.

We've seen that sort of effect on prices with articles on blogs and sites like Shmups, but with the way that video was linked on Kotaku, this is a whole new level of batshit cray.

Oh, and speaking of batshit, what the fuck is going on with the NES market? I haven't looked at this stuff in years, but...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=ninja+turtles+tournament+fighters+nes&_sop=16

Just insanity.

Tadale

The PS2 version is definitely playable in my mind. It would be good enough for me if I didn't really just want to have the carts.

Beatrix

This retro game store has Earthbound for $299.99/"or make reasonable offer". Fucking insane. Should I bite the bullet and go for it? :D

Tadale

This retro game store has Earthbound for $299.99/"or make reasonable offer". Fucking insane. Should I bite the bullet and go for it? :D

No way. I honestly do not see the prices ever going higher than they are right now – the Wii U version will be out soon enough, and I really don't see it going anywhere but down after that.

Top Bottom