• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Btw would importing Demon's Crest be worth it (Demon's Blazon) or would Japanese be a barrier? Used to have the game eons ago...found it cheap in a local game store around the PS1/Saturn days, and probably traded it to Toys R Us for something stupid.

Probably not. Cart-only copies go for like $70-ish even in Japan. That MIGHT be cheaper than the US version though, haven't been keeping up.

Wild Guns is also very expensive over there. Hagane is substantially cheaper, at least for now. I know people are blaming the Irate Gamer videos in this thread, but given that most of their prices are high even outside of the English-speaking community, I think the price spikes would've happened eventually.

EDIT: Actually I take that back RE: Demon's Blazon. Boxed copies are ridiculous expensive but cart copies are substantially cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000068HM4/

Probably not. Cart-only copies go for like $70-ish even in Japan. That MIGHT be cheaper than the US version though, haven't been keeping up.
Ignoring your edit, that's pretty much exactly where cart-only copies of the US version stand.

Also they're blaming James "AVGN" Rolfe's friend Mike Matei, not Irate Gamer :V

XNarte

Wish me luck GAF, I'm waiting to hear back from a Craigslist posting for the following games:

Donkey Kong Country, F Zero, Super Mario World, Street Fighter 2, The Tick, The Legend of Zelda, Out Of This World, Earthbound, Sim City, Turtles in Time, Final Fantasy 3, Final Fight, Secret of Mana, Jungle Strike, and Paper Boy 2......

All for $30! *Faints if real*

Beatrix

Wish me luck GAF, I'm waiting to hear back from a Craigslist posting for the following games:

Donkey Kong Country, F Zero, Super Mario World, Street Fighter 2, The Tick, The Legend of Zelda, Out Of This World, Earthbound, Sim City, Turtles in Time, Final Fantasy 3, Final Fight, Secret of Mana, Jungle Strike, and Paper Boy 2......

Wow. If real, you're one lucky person. Congrats if you get it.

I only need these games and my personal collection will be complete:

Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Final Fantasy 3
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country

Chucker

I'm trying to think which games I'm actively looking for that'll make me close out my hunting phase, and just get into "whatever I find in the wild".

I think I just have CT, Final Fantasy II, Lufia, Lufia II, Rockman X3(Because I went the JP route and got Rockman X1/2 might as well save money and get the last one as Rockman X3.) left.

Teknoman

Godspeed.

If its any help, I literally said "The hell" out loud at the bolded. Especially Earthbound.

I was lucky to buy my SNES system and games when I did.

Growing up I had the NES, Genesis, Gameboy, and Game Gear, but never a SNES. I went through a retro phase where I wanted to buy my childhood back.

I ended up getting a SNES from Ebay for about $60. I outbid the other person in the last 10 seconds, and they sent me a nasty message for it. I also bought a few lots of games on Ebay as well. I got some crappy games mixed in with some awesome ones: DKC 1-3, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All-Stars, etc.

Wish me luck GAF

ok good luck getting trolled

I'm waiting to hear back from a Craigslist posting for the following games:

congrats on getting trolled

Linkhero1

I thought bidder names were private precisely so you couldn't get nasty messages. I take it this was before that went into effect?

I think it's still private. There is no reason to publicly display the bidders name to other bidders unless the bidder is the seller and the seller is the bidder.

Fox Mulder

This retro game store has Earthbound for $299.99/"or make reasonable offer". Fucking insane. Should I bite the bullet and go for it? :D

Haha

the game was cracking $200 until the wiiu vc announcement. It's been down to $150 now and the game isn't even out.

I do think being on the wiiu only will keep it from falling too far though. I'm holding out for it to get down to around $100.

I've gotten a couple of those, because I only snipe auctions.

Responded both times by saying "well, you still lost."
Nicely done. :)
I also only bid at the very end. Only a couple times did I bid early and that's because I would be away at auction's end. Lost each time too.

EBay has been better for buyers the last few years. (Maybe too good sometimes.)

With lots like that, I always feel like it's best to offer a little higher than the asking price. You have to figure you're not the only person frantically trying to snatch up the deal (if it's even real) before the seller gets wise. A lot of the time, sellers will get offers on specific games like "$100 for just Earthbound." And when you meet up with the seller, they'll tell you they already sold just that one game to someone else and expect that you'll still want the lot. Craigslist is ruthless, and finding those good deals is not easy.

With lots like that, I always feel like it's best to offer a little higher than the asking price. You have to figure you're not the only person frantically trying to snatch up the deal (if it's even real) before the seller gets wise. A lot of the time, sellers will get offers on specific games like "$100 for just Earthbound." And when you meet up with the seller, they'll tell you they already sold just that one game to someone else and expect that you'll still want the lot. Craigslist is ruthless, and finding those good deals is not easy.
At that asking price, I would feel there is a real possibility of that transaction becoming a "videogame deal gone bad", lol.
When it seems too good to be true...

MoxManiac

I've been sniped on ebay before, and its definitely frustrating, but it comes with the territory, man. I shrug my shoulders and move on.

Or better yet, i do the sniping myself.

Lettuce

I bet if you look at the spike in price of Wild Guns, Hagane, Demon's Crest and Run Saber they all happened shortly after this video was made. Fuck you Mike Matei

Im lucky enough to own all those boxed apart from Run Saber. I can believe i scored a massive bulk buy on eBay from the US shipped to the UK. I think i paid approx £120 for about 40 games, and included loads of now stupidly priced games. Im so glad i was collecting back in 2005 for the SNES as now a days its just ridiculous.

dscf6113z.jpg
dscf6115b.jpg

dscf6116u.jpg
dscf6112f.jpg

dscf6117.jpg
dscf6120e.jpg

dscf6123m.jpg
i2gCQQBf9Io6y.JPG

i2iLhMpHtwko1.JPG
ibnY8T26fxHFgm.JPG

Very nice (Space Megaforce is so good).
Don't worry about Run Saber: it's a forgettable/mediocre title at best.

I liked Run Saber. It was challenging and had decent music. Obviously not Strider but the blade sound effects were cool.

I still have it in my closet. How much is it going for these days?

Im lucky enough to own all those boxed apart from Run Saber. I can believe i scored a massive bulk buy on eBay from the US shipped to the UK. I think i paid approx £120 for about 40 games, and included loads of now stupidly priced games. Im so glad i was collecting back in 2005 for the SNES as now a days its just ridiculous.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6030/dscf6113z.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3919/dscf6115b.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6675/dscf6116u.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4659/dscf6112f.jpg
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7182/dscf6117.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2591/dscf6120e.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6803/dscf6123m.jpg
http://i.minus.com/i2gCQQBf9Io6y.JPG
http://i.minus.com/i2iLhMpHtwko1.JPG
GODDAAAAAAAMN.jpg

Garryk

So my operation to remove a price tag from my LoZ cart ended in heartbreak (not really). It took off some of the back sticker with it.

Ugh.

Use a hair blower to remove the sticker next time.
In the meantime, find a replacement back off a throwaway cart and voilà: clean cart!
Unless it was a gold cart. Even if it was LoZ gray, you'd have to swap with a game that has a save battery if you care as much as I do. And if you care more, matching the revision and the numbers imprinted on the back label is a thing too.

Edit: Thought this was the NES thread. SNES backswapping isn't as complicated.

This guy I used to work with would just take a picture of a bunch of games from his collection, usually a bunch of typical commons, and then add in Aero Fighters or Wild Guns or something and then make a fake Craigslist ad that posed as a grandparent getting rid of a bunch of their grandkid's old video games for super cheap. He said he did it to scope out his competition in the area.

This guy I used to work with would just take a picture of a bunch of games from his collection, usually a bunch of typical commons, and then add in Aero Fighters or Wild Guns or something and then make a fake Craigslist ad that posed as a grandparent getting rid of a bunch of their grandkid's old video games for super cheap. He said he did it to scope out his competition in the area.

lmao that's slick

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I actually did find a loose copy of Earthbound at a garage sale last summer. It was never advertised as such, just a local family offering video games in their ad, nothing specific. I was shocked when they only asked $2 for it.

I felt so guilty about how cheap it was so I just bought all of their SNES games and their system, which weren't terribly interesting by comparison. Ended up spending about $60 on the whole thing. But yeah. Good deals do exist out there! I'll probably never happen upon something like that again though.

I actually did find a loose copy of Earthbound at a garage sale last summer. It was never advertised as such, just a local family offering video games in their ad, nothing specific. I was shocked when they only asked $2 for it.

I felt so guilty about how cheap it was so I just bought all of their SNES games and their system, which weren't terribly interesting by comparison. Ended up spending about $60 on the whole thing. But yeah. Good deals do exist out there! I'll probably never happen upon something like that again though.

This is what I'm hoping for this summer. Honestly though it's usually NHL 94, A couple Madden games and SMW if you're lucky :p

Rhapsody

Banned
You guys are tempting me to finally check out garage sales. I've never done so before because my luck with stuff like this is generally awful.

Chucker

Last weekend was the start of the "XXXXXX Sale" weekends. I've got this Saturday free from my wife and kid so I'm thrifting/sale-ing it up.

Fox Mulder

I really don't understand people who bid anywhere outside of the last minute. It's the only way I operate.

It shows the buyer there's interest, as sellers can cancel auctions until 12 hours remain regardless of bids. I also bid with what I want to pay, if I get outbid in the final minute, who cares.

You guys are tempting me to finally check out garage sales. I've never done so before because my luck with stuff like this is generally awful.

It's worth it, but you have to be prepared for ups and downs.

One weekend last year, I found a Vectrex, Colecovision in box, and a complete copy of MUSHA for the Genesis. I didn't find squat for the next three weeks. You have to just keep looking.

One weekend last year, I found a Vectrex, Colecovision in box, and a complete copy of MUSHA for the Genesis. I didn't find squat for the next three weeks. You have to just keep looking.

If nothing else, I usually find some cool stuff outside games too.

Fox Mulder

the same can be said about flea markets and goodwill hunting. The search is part of the fun, and you get some sun.

Teknoman

the same can be said about flea markets and goodwill hunting. The search is part of the fun, and you get some sun.

Pretty much. I need to find some good Garage sales around here...

EDIT: Whats with every ebay auction stating "No Refunds"? If someone is wrong with the game or it just doesnt work/ get lost, i'm going to ask for a refund regardless or use Ebay buyer protection.

Pretty much. I need to find some good Garage sales around here...

EDIT: Whats with every ebay auction stating "No Refunds"? If someone is wrong with the game or it just doesnt work/ get lost, i'm going to ask for a refund regardless or use Ebay buyer protection.

I believe it defaults to the no refund setting when listing items. Unless you mean you see it in a lot of descriptions?

Chucker

It must be set to no refunds, I sell a good amount on there and all of mine say no refunds.

THAT BEING SAID.

If somebody wanted a refund for a legit defective item, and I got the item back I'd refund it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I hate to gloat, but I'm so glad I covered my bases on SNES collecting back around 2000-2003. Shit's insane now.

We've seen that sort of effect on prices with articles on blogs and sites like Shmups, but with the way that video was linked on Kotaku, this is a whole new level of batshit cray.

Oh, and speaking of batshit, what the fuck is going on with the NES market? I haven't looked at this stuff in years, but...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=ninja+turtles+tournament+fighters+nes&_sop=16

Just insanity.

tmnt tf for nes has always been expensive its really rare was going for $80 for the longest time till the price spike

Top Bottom