• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Parallacs

It was this time last year that my wife had scoped out a Craig's list posting for a garage sale with games. We got there at 6:40 AM.

The seller had:
Zelda 1 and 2 (NES)
Zelda LTTP (SNES) boxed
Zelda OOT boxed
Zelda Majora's Mask boxed
Zelda 4 swords Gamecube
Zelda Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition Gamecube
Megaman Collection Gamecube

For $10 total. He also had a PS2 for $5 that I passed on because I was feeling content. It wasn't until then that I realized the power of getting to garage sales and swap meets early.

Chrono Trigger for $70 loose? Hot dang.

Considering it's available on PS1, DS, PS3/PSP Digital, Wii VC, iOS, and Android, it's totally wild how its held its value so well on SNES.

Pengew

Skimming through the thread I had no clue the prices have jumped so quickly for some games. I got Demon's Crest on ebay for $20 shipped last year. The same for X2 US version. I guess im content with my saturn X3 for now.

IrishNinja

...oh
that diminishes my prior argument, often a kneejerk response to the shit shitty shit loading times of the PSX version we were stuck with for so many years

carry-on, 16-bit

Chucker

Up at this ridiculous hour on my day off to get some DEALS.

I'll post my victory, or utter defeat after I swing around some Yard Sales.

It was this time last year that my wife had scoped out a Craig's list posting for a garage sale with games. We got there at 6:40 AM.

The seller had:
Zelda 1 and 2 (NES)
Zelda LTTP (SNES) boxed
Zelda OOT boxed
Zelda Majora's Mask boxed
Zelda 4 swords Gamecube
Zelda Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition Gamecube
Megaman Collection Gamecube

For $10 total. He also had a PS2 for $5 that I passed on because I was feeling content. It wasn't until then that I realized the power of getting to garage sales and swap meets early.

WTH? Amazing Deal!!!

Chucker

good luck chuck
No SNES luck.
Did get a model 1 Genesis w/ High Definition Graphics, hookups, 1 6 button, 1 3 button, Sonic, Sonic 2, Ecco, Road Rash 2, Aladdin, Power Rangers, Power Rangers The Movie, X-men 2 for $40.
Guy threw in. TG16 with Alien Crush for free. No hookups though.

Fox Mulder

No SNES luck.
Did get a model 1 Genesis w/ High Definition Graphics, hookups, 1 6 button, 1 3 button, Sonic, Sonic 2, Ecco, Road Rash 2, Aladdin, Power Rangers, Power Rangers The Movie, X-men 2 for $40.
Guy threw in. TG16 with Alien Crush for free. No hookups though.

Super jealous. I've been wanting a TG16 real bad, but I don't know if I should just buy a ton of the games on the wii VC.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
...oh
that diminishes my prior argument, often a kneejerk response to the shit shitty shit loading times of the PSX version we were stuck with for so many years

carry-on, 16-bit

I convinced myself for a while that the PS1 load times didn't bother me. But obviously, that's not true, because they were fucking awful.

Anyway, the DS version also retains the extras box or whatever it's called. Which is helpful for making sure you've gotten all the endings and that sorta thing.

I'd argue the translation is objectively better in the DS version, as well, though obviously, it's a little weird to have different dialogue than what I grew up reading.

Gonna corner the market and make a killing on ebay.

tumblr_mmwm0nXW4k1qhbwtbo1_1280.png

D-e-f-

Banned
The remnants of my SNES collection

I was young and foolish when I sold almost all of my SNES stuff so I could afford to by an N64 back in the day. But I quickly realized my mistake and started rebuying games while they were still sold in stores (hence the still very high price tag on the Terranigma box and the red Classic Series box for DKC2). Got the SNES from my neighbor and have slowly been hunting down games every now and then.

At some point I went crazy and shelled out $300 for a boxed copy of Earthbound and about $100 for complete in box Chrono Trigger plus the Nintendo Power guide. Once times got tough, I sold both of them. I kinda miss having them among these other gems. But at least I will not miss out on the games, having CT on the DS and planning to buy the VC version one day and with Earthbound now hitting WiiU as well, I can live with it. I kept the Chrono Trigger guide, though. I love the official guide books, they're like art books with game tips in between :D

Games I used to own:
Vortex
Stunt Race FX
Magical Quest: Starring Mickey Mouse
Mr. Nutz
the box for Street Fighter II (no idea what happened to it, as I still have the cart in my Fire Import Adapter)
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Fighting Edition
TMNT Tournament Fighters
Plok
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Toy Story
Mario Paint

*sniff*

Lettuce

Recent pick ups to add to my collect...

ioGxG7tQkV3TV.JPG

Cant justify the cost of a CIB Metal Warriors, i managed to score the cart for less than £25 just before xmas, result

iAhnJqlCOfA72.JPG

Street Racer is all in English language, and the JPN version is a fraction of the price of the US version

x Maiku x

Some very nice collections in here.

And I think some people on here may have actually bought stuff through me before, possibly even through eBay, but if anyone is looking for cheap Super Famicom games or anything else just let me know.

Looking for some advice. I've got a ton of retro consoles, all if which connect to a TV via an RF switch. Any advice on how to connect all of these to a single TV without having to constantly connect/disconnect each one?

Does such thing as a RF switch box exist? I did some research and couldn't seem to find anything along that line...

Looking for some advice. I've got a ton of retro consoles, all if which connect to a TV via an RF switch. Any advice on how to connect all of these to a single TV without having to constantly connect/disconnect each one?

Does such thing as a RF switch box exist? I did some research and couldn't seem to find anything along that line...

You should be able to daisy-chain RF switches. Typically, console RF adapters will have a pass-though input.

RF signal is ass though.

Chucker

Super Ass. NEC are terrorists holding my TG16 hostage with a Turbo Booster that sells for like $75 on eBay.

If you absolutely have to though, I'd daisy chain.

Super Ass. NEC are terrorists holding my TG16 hostage with a Turbo Booster that sells for like $75 on eBay.

If you absolutely have to though, I'd daisy chain.

lol NEC hardware is something else. Even the AV Booster for PC engine will run about $50. Might as well get the Interface Unit and get some added functionality with your RCA output.

Can you mod the TG16 for RGB?

Chucker

lol NEC hardware is something else. Even the AV Booster for PC engine will run about $50. Might as well get the Interface Unit and get some added functionality with your RCA output.

Can you mod the TG16 for RGB?

I think so. I'm no good with that sort of stuff, might be a project for whenever I get bored enough to do it.

lfc11

Neo Member
I found a SNES lying around my house and tried setting it up with the component cables. The power light turns on but there's nothing much displaying except this:
BKsu5JmCAAE_6FJ.jpg

It only appears when I turn it on. I tried it with another game cartridge and nothing appeared with that game cartridge. The RF cable doesn't seem to work either. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Hi,

here's my small collection of SNES Games. About ~100 games. Since I prefer collecting cartridges only and UniversalGameCase is almost impossible to get in Europe, I store the cartridges in cardboard boxes.
I am also planning to print covers for the boxes in the near future.

.pettersson

linkboy

Hi,

here's my small collection of SNES Games. About ~100 games. Since I prefer collecting cartridges only and UniversalGameCase is almost impossible to get in Europe, I store the cartridges in cardboard boxes.

.pettersson

Have you checked on ebay for the game cases, you might be able to find someone who ships worldwide (not sure about the costs though).

Leonsito

Hi,

.pettersson

There is a Spanish website that has UGC, but they only sell them in packs of 100, and it's a bit expensive: http://www.emere.es/epages/218543.sf/es_ES/?ObjectPath=/Shops/218543/Products/0000000000322

Edit: wait, there are individual now: http://www.emere.es/epages/218543.sf/es_ES/?ObjectPath=/Shops/218543/Products/0000000000321

Grief.exe

So what is the best way to clean up carts?

I have sharpie on a couple of my games and SNES

Price Tags

General dirt and grime.

I also have a price tag on a couple of my DS cases as well.

What is the best way to remove all of this stuff?

I remember reading about something in a yellow bottle earlier in this thread. I believe gunk off was the name.

For cleaning I like to use a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol to clean the games, it works pretty well for me and also does a decent job on marker too.

Het_Nkik

Use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It would take 2 minutes to take off the entire name.

Doubling the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser suggestion. Works like magic.

And Goo Gone for sticker residue.

*Is handed a large sack with a dollar sign on it*

Uh, looks like my laundry is done heh heh.

Leonsito

That looks like a lot of work to get the E half faded.

Use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It would take 2 minutes to take off the entire name.

I had already erased two letters from the left of the E. I'm from Spain, so I didn't know the equivalent to a magic eraser and didn't want to destroy my golden cart :lol

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works great, but it should be noted that it's basically very fine grit sandpaper. In extreme cases you will rub off the texture that cartridges have and they're look glossy in the places you used the eraser on. A cart with a gold finish like Zelda or Adventure of Link might get pretty scratched up too.

Parallacs

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works great, but it should be noted that it's basically very fine grit sandpaper. In extreme cases you will rub off the texture that cartridges have and they're look glossy in the places you used the eraser on. A cart with a gold finish like Zelda or Adventure of Link might get pretty scratched up too.

Good point. I have seen countless copies of gold cart Zeldas scratched. What is below the scratch is not pretty. I would hate to have a rubbing mark where the gold used to be.

For grey carts, the smoothness isn't noticable. I haven't tried a red cart yet (Doom / Maximum Carnage).

Grief.exe

For sharpie:

It's amazing, no sign of the marker, and the cartridge doesn't suffer anything.

Is that just a regular eraser?

Doubling the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser suggestion. Works like magic.

And Goo Gone for sticker residue.

*Is handed a large sack with a dollar sign on it*

Uh, looks like my laundry is done heh heh.

Goo Gone, that was what I was looking for.

Is this what I want? http://www.lowes.com/pd_317372-1168...gone&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=goo+gone&facetInfo=

Top Bottom