• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I can 4th and 5th Goo Gone and Magic Eraser. We use those at the store to clean our games up and they come out fantastic. Sometimes it can't fix that nasty-ass cigarette smell though.

I can 4th and 5th Goo Gone and Magic Eraser. We use those at the store to clean our games up and they come out fantastic. Sometimes it can't fix that nasty-ass cigarette smell though.

Wrap a sheet of fabric softener tightly around the game for a couple days. That can often neutralize the smell.

Fox Mulder

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works great, but it should be noted that it's basically very fine grit sandpaper. In extreme cases you will rub off the texture that cartridges have and they're look glossy in the places you used the eraser on. A cart with a gold finish like Zelda or Adventure of Link might get pretty scratched up too.

Sure, but you only have to lightly scrub until the marker is gone, I've never had issues with it.

Magic erasers live up to the name.

Wrap a sheet of fabric softener tightly around the game for a couple days. That can often neutralize the smell.

That does work. I often find things at goodwill that need cleaning, and the first step I begin with is tying items in a plastic shopping bag with some fabric softener sheets for a few days. I did get a GameCube that had cat piss all inside it somehow, that was interesting.

Grief.exe

Got my snes open right now, whats the best way to clean the contacts?

I was going to use Rubbing Alcohol and coffee filters.

And what is the best way to clean up general dirt and grime?

Chucker

I'd do plastic card with the filter put the rubbing alcohol on it and clean clean clean.

As for the insides I just use a compressed air can.

Edit: Also when I got my grimy ass NES last year complete with carts with gross writing on them, my mom had some orange spray bottle called Goof Off. It was INCREDIBLE. Sharpies just washed away.

Grief.exe

I'd do plastic card with the filter put the rubbing alcohol on it and clean clean clean.

Edit: Also when I got my grimy ass NES last year complete with carts with gross writing on them, my mom had some orange spray bottle called Goof Off. It was INCREDIBLE. Sharpies just washed away.

That was the stuff I was thinking about.

I am gonna go pick some up and clean up this SNES I got.

Teknoman

Goof off is awesome, but leaves things greasy.

Grief.exe

I'm very impressed with Goof Off.

I had an SNES and Super Mario World that I bought and were covered with dirt, grime, crayon, and marker.

I was very surprised with how quickly it came off.

Teknoman

So jjrepro on Nintendoage was talking about how easy it is to convert a super famicom game to an english version while keeping the same cart. That would be a pretty awesome service, and with what would seem like less work.

Would be cool to have say... FFIV or V with the SFC cart, art, and english translation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So jjrepro on Nintendoage was talking about how easy it is to convert a super famicom game to an english version while keeping the same cart. That would be a pretty awesome service, and with what would seem like less work.

Would be cool to have say... FFIV or V with the SFC cart, art, and english translation.

I dunno... there's something kinda sacrilege about taking a perfectly good game and then fucking it up.

IrishNinja

yup, that's who did my SMT 1-2, FF V, Terranigma, Mana 2 etc...great work for cheap too!

I dunno... there's something kinda sacrilege about taking a perfectly good game and then fucking it up.

i've heard this argument, and i get where it's coming from, but fuck it i bought those madden '94s & college slam copies, and they're better games now

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
941176_10151480098528883_97056744_n.jpg

Just got back from a business trip in New York. Found this at a shop. I am happy.

It took me 5+ years to find a complete/mint copy of this game. I've had my loose cart forever now... finding this in the store made my jaw drop.

My initial reaction can be seen on my vine post, lol.

https://vine.co/v/b95B7eKDH9E (turn volume up)

DAMN

whew.

Grief.exe

Any interest in a GAF group buy for Universal Game Cases?

My quote was $72 shipped for 100 cases.

If I could find two or three other people to split the cost then it would be much more affordable.

I would have to do some more research, but it seems it would only cost about $10-$15 per person to ship the cases.

That would mean the final cost would be around $30 per person, with each person getting around 30 cases.
941176_10151480098528883_97056744_n.jpg

Just got back from a business trip in New York. Found this at a shop. I am happy.

It took me 5+ years to find a complete/mint copy of this game. I've had my loose cart forever now... finding this in the store made my jaw drop.

DAMN

whew.

That store looks amazing by the way.

Teknoman

Maybe...maybe...but having a cart that looks like this:

20120430114342-600x600.jpg

Yet plays in english would be great. Not to mention it would be a relatively cheap CIB game (compared to NA FF SNES prices I guess).

In other news:

jKmofpm9vwyTq.jpg

If I could find two or three other people to split the cost then it would be much more affordable.

I would have to do some more research, but it seems it would only cost about $10-$15 per person to ship the cases.

That would mean the final cost would be around $30 per person, with each person getting around 30 cases.

If I get extra money here soon, I'd be interested.

DAMN

whew.
Nice and good price too!
What's the name of that shop by the way? If I'm ever in NY, I'd love to drop by.

Celine

Just bought Soul Blazer for $40. Did I dun good fellow snes collectors?
Got mine for 30 euro (shipping included) but bad condition box and no manual.
Of course I'm talking about the US versione, the PAL english version is extremely rare and goes for hundreds of euro.

Chucker

Is he for real doing this? I have FFIV, V, VI on SFC (have 3 in english already), and this intrigues me.

bodine1231

I'm interested. Ill pm you

Chucker

easily coulda been worse...any chance that figure came with it?
man i still wanna get a plush Mr. Saturn one day too
I had one that I forgot all about, he was chilling in the attic. It was the Mother 3 Ninja Scarf Mr. Saturn, turned around and sold it for $130 on eBay. Used that money to buy Earthbound.

I've got a bunch of PAX-East League of Legends stuff up on eBay that ends in 3 days. People pay stupid money for that, if I have some scratch leftover I'd certainly be interested.

A warning. I've only ordered once, but, I got maybe 4-5 broken cases with my shipment. I kind of assume that's normal. But, maybe not.

eXistor

Got mine for 30 euro (shipping included) but bad condition box and no manual.
Of course I'm talking about the US versione, the PAL english version is extremely rare and goes for hundreds of euro.

I've been looking for a complete one myself, but most I've seen go for €100-ish not more.

Grief.exe

A warning. I've only ordered once, but, I got maybe 4-5 broken cases with my shipment. I kind of assume that's normal. But, maybe not.

Thanks for the tip, Ill make sure to communicate with the buyers and let them know that is a possibility.

If three are broken than we will all end up with one less case.

Ill do some more research on shipping and see what the final price would be.

How much does an individual case weigh?

Thanks for the tip, Ill make sure to communicate with the buyers and let them know that is a possibility.

If three are broken than we will all end up with one less case.

Ill do some more research on shipping and see what the final price would be.

How much does an individual case weigh?

If you're ordering from media shelving, they offer "extra packaging" for $3. I didn't buy it, but I will be next time. Who knows if it'll help.

I just came back from the post office and had them weigh a case for me, it was just under 3 ounces.

Grief.exe

If you're ordering from media shelving, they offer "extra packaging" for $3. I didn't buy it, but I will be next time. Who knows if it'll help.

I just came back from the post office and had them weigh a case for me, it was just under 3 ounces.

Thanks for the help.

So I just calculated it out using the Post Office website.

3 ounces per case, 30 cases, amounts to about 6 pounds. On the Post Office website that would cost about $13. (click other options, than standard post)

http://postcalc.usps.com/MailServic...b=0&MailingDate=5/21/2013&MailingTime=8:00 AM

So the total cost would be $72 for all 100 cases to be shipped to me, then $13 each to send out 30 cases to 2 other people.
That would come to $98, or $32 each.

Anyone have any advice on shipping through USPS, I am not too experienced.

Huh. So my Earthbound saves got wiped again. This time, it wasn't the battery; For some reason, it took me a few tries to get the game to even boot. When it did, and I got to the save screen, I got a message saying "We're very sorry... but the record of Adventure Number 1 has been lost." I'm guessing the save just got corrupted somehow, because I'm pretty sure you don't get that message if you have a save battery failure on your hands.

Doesn't really bother me though, I beat the game for the umpteenth time weeks ago, and as far as I know, the battery's still good. I just wonder what happened to make the save data corrupt like that.

Peagles

Huh. So my Earthbound saves got wiped again. This time, it wasn't the battery; For some reason, it took me a few tries to get the game to even boot. When it did, and I got to the save screen, I got a message saying "We're very sorry... but the record of Adventure Number 1 has been lost." I'm guessing the save just got corrupted somehow, because I'm pretty sure you don't get that message if you have a save battery failure on your hands.

Doesn't really bother me though, I beat the game for the umpteenth time weeks ago, and as far as I know, the battery's still good. I just wonder what happened to make the save data corrupt like that.

Same thing happened to my Super Metroid, but I didn't get an apology lol.

So the total cost would be $72 for all 100 cases to be shipped to me, then $13 each to send out 30 cases to 2 other people.
That would come to $98, or $32 each.

They charged me $81.97 shipped (went through Fed Ex). You have to fill out a form on their site with your shipping info, then they'll email you a quote.

Anyone have any advice on shipping through USPS, I am not too experienced.
If you're shipping to Canada, please be kind and mark the package as a "gift". I've been hit quite a few times by customs fees and it sucks big time (yes, even through USPS). Never happens when it's marked as a gift though.

Top Bottom