• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Grief.exe

Does an XRGB upscale to anything beyond 1080p?

Right now it would be perfect for my monitor and TV, but just thinking forward to the future.

I know I will be getting a much higher resolution monitor for PC gaming next generation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Does an XRGB upscale to anything beyond 1080p?

Right now it would be perfect for my monitor and TV, but just thinking forward to the future.

I know I will be getting a much higher resolution monitor for PC gaming next generation.

Only other resolution I think the XRGB might support is 1920 x 1200, but I'm not even sure about that... pretty sure it won't upscale to that res, at least. Anyway, it definitely doesn't upscale to anything higher than that.

Chucker

I'm sure that I've worn out my good luck for Flea Markets this year with this haul. Total damage was $50. He wanted $10 for Zombies Ate My neighbors, and $5 for the new in box SNES controller.

mVwOVy4.jpg

Zing

Banned
When I was trying to find a NIB controller, it took almost a year to find a legit one on eBay. I've only seen two out of the thousands of fakes. You'd have to be extremely lucky to find a legit one still sealed. If it wasn't in shrink, it's undoubtedly fake. It's one of the most common bootleg video game items.

Chucker

It's as real as I can tell, it's a late model so it's the SFC length cord, I took it apart and the board was the same as my legit controller.

I dunno what else to look for.

This is some more of what the guy had. MMX was $10, I'm going back tomorrow.
oHfum5S.jpg

ZG6AiqJ.jpg

He really had no idea what he had. I got Zombies for $10, but he wanted $15 for Joe and Mac.

Chucker

Next time I go back (earliest tomorrow, more likely next weekend), I'm gonna grab everything that catches my eye. I'll get what I can and ship w/e.

Grief.exe

It's as real as I can tell, it's a late model so it's the SFC length cord, I took it apart and the board was the same as my legit controller.

I dunno what else to look for.

This is some more of what the guy had. MMX was $10, I'm going back tomorrow.
oHfum5S.jpg

ZG6AiqJ.jpg

He really had no idea what he had. I got Zombies for $10, but he wanted $15 for Joe and Mac.

There are so many carts that we can't even see in that picture because of their orientation.

Report back man, great find.

Jhriad

http://i.imgur.com/ZG6AiqJ.jpg

Is that blue box Uncharted Waters? I can't tell on my phone. If it is pick that shit up. (and send it my way)

Finding Uncharted Waters 1 CIB (including the map) for a reasonable price is a pain. For all the systems it was on. Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is a pain as well.

These pictures of stores/flea markets just make me wish I lived in a bigger city. That one case has more 16 bit boxed games than the two retro retail stores here in town combined. Ugh.

dgco86

A local gameshop was selling a cart only copy of Mega Man X3 for $80. The label isn't in very good shape, with grime and faint scratches all over. There was a tear in the rear label too. I didn't bother buying it since I don't really like buying cart only games and because the grime kind of grossed me out, but I'm starting to wonder if that was the right move. Any opinions?

goldenpp72

A local gameshop was selling a cart only copy of Mega Man X3 for $80. The label isn't in very good shape, with grime and faint scratches all over. There was a tear in the rear label too. I didn't bother buying it since I don't really like buying cart only games and because the grime kind of grossed me out, but I'm starting to wonder if that was the right move. Any opinions?

You could find a nice cart cheaper than that with patience, no worries.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've seen loads of those around and they were all reproduction controllers. That box is not an original box (at least I don't think so). I mean, look at the renders of Mario and Yoshi on that box. Does that REALLY look legit to you?

Of course, they did some late run controllers, as you note, so it's tough to say. I know the last controllers all looked cheaper as a result of cost cutting.

Chucker

Yeah, those are the Super Mario RPG renders. I'll take more picture of the box.
8mI3Tsal.jpg

Y3RGGmGl.jpg

8Flb1Pnl.jpg

The controller itself feels fantastic, and needs to be broken in a little. At this point I don't even care if it's a fake (although I have no reason that old man with all of that other original stuff would have a reason to take me for a ride on this) because it works so well.

IrishNinja: This was off a highway in a tiny town in Delaware on the way to the beach. Wiki says it has a pop of 3k.

linkboy

I've seen loads of those around and they were all reproduction controllers. That box is not an original box (at least I don't think so). I mean, look at the renders of Mario and Yoshi on that box. Does that REALLY look legit to you?

Of course, they did some late run controllers, as you note, so it's tough to say. I know the last controllers all looked cheaper as a result of cost cutting.

250px-SNES2Package.JPG

Nintendo started using those renders around the time the SNES Model 2 came out.

Zing

Banned
My real box doesn't say "made in china" on the back. The fake boxes are virtually identical to the real ones, as far as I know.

Here is my legit box:

The controllers are easy to detect if fake. If your box didn't come shrink wrapped, then it could just be a real controller put into a fake box. I've read several reports of that happening as well.

Or it could be legit. This is the first I have heard of the cord length being different, however. They seemed the same to me.

Chucker

Or it could be legit. This is the first I have heard of the cord length being different, however. They seemed the same to me.

According to what I read (the internet), they started cutting costs etc, which is why the late model ones are embossed and just say Nintendo on it instead of the printed Super Nintendo. This also is shown in the SNES Box that Linkboy posted. I'm not really too upset if it isn't a first party original, the cost ended up being around $4 in the grand scheme of things and is a fantastic controller. It is weird that when stretched out end to end it's the exact length of a SFC controller.

linkboy

My real box doesn't say "made in china" on the back. The fake boxes are virtually identical to the real ones, as far as I know.

Here is my legit box:

The controllers are easy to detect if fake. If your box didn't come shrink wrapped, then it could just be a real controller put into a fake box. I've read several reports of that happening as well.

The cords are shorter. When I was stationed in Japan, I picked up a Super Famicom with two controllers (love the Skittles buttons) and when I got back to the states, I compared it to a SNES cord and the SFC controller was a lot shorter.

At which point, I opened up the controllers and swapped the boards since I use the SFC controllers as my main controllers for my SNES.

I've had a real controller in a fake box before, though the fake box was kind of obvious. Personally I don't like the later revision controller, with the engraved Super Nintendo in the middle, instead of the printed one.

Grief.exe

You are probably the only person in this thread who hasn't heard of Mario RPG lol

Using a real SNES until the Retron 5 hits.

What are the advantages of that?

Teknoman

Are you guys using actual SNESes? Mine bit the dust probably 6-7 years ago and I ended up moving on to the FC Twin and then the Retro Duo

100% original. I'd say if you just do general up keep (wipe them down every so often) then they should work for a long time. The original NES I got for my 5th birthday is still going strong. Even better after a cartridge pin replacement.

I prefer to use genuine hardware, so if a game uses a particular quirk emulators struggle with or special hardware, I don't need to worry whether or not it'll work; it will.

Are you guys using actual SNESes? Mine bit the dust probably 6-7 years ago and I ended up moving on to the FC Twin and then the Retro Duo

Yeah I have a Model 1 still going strong. I also have a Model 2 SNES Jr. that I found at a church flea market for $10. I'll probably mod for RGB and use it if my OG ever craps out.

Zing

Banned
I never saw a reason to get a third party system, since the real thing is so cheap. I got my current system with four controllers for $10.

Phatcorns

Found these old manuals. Any buyers please make me an offer.

vsYoLh0l.jpg

Also found out I lost my copy of TMNT Tournament Fighters. Am pretty sad at that one.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Are people selling in this thread as well? Or still doing it in the community buy/sell thread? Have Turtles in Time and Mario RPG with boxes/manuals I'd like to dump.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
It's supposed to upscale via HDMI, that way it doesn't look so bad when you hook it up to an HDTV (no mods). Hopefully it will be an inexpensive alternative to getting an XRGB.

That and it lets me play pretty much ALL my retro games on one input.

With the original controllers where applicable. Sogooddotgif.

Teknoman

I've pointed people to the buy/sell thread. I would just post there and then feel free to post a message here pointing it out to people.

Best thing to do. Follows the rules but gains visibility at the same time.

EDIT: As far as pick ups go...after some lucky Ebay spending I think i'm done with SNES for awhile. Some really cool stuff i'm looking forward to getting into though.

IrishNinja

That and it lets me play pretty much ALL my retro games on one input.

With the original controllers where applicable. Sogooddotgif.

yeah, here's how i'm looking at it, pending impressions of course:

Retron 5

+ Region free
+ save states
+ use whatever controller you like
+ uses on HDMI

- Not OG hardware - this may be okay by most for NES/SNES but ive not heard good things about Genesis emulation last time
- it's not gonna upscale as well as RGB to a proper upscaler
- still not sure if the SD allows ROM play - this'd possibly save me the $ of a flashcart but i don't see anything definitive

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've pointed people to the buy/sell thread. I would just post there and then feel free to post a message here pointing it out to people.

Noted. I've put Mario RPG/Turtles up in the buy/sell thread.

Oh my bad, jut figured people would want to know. Ill post in the buy sell trade thread

It's all good, I was just asking since it makes sense to try and sell snes stuff here.

Retron 5

+ Region free
+ save states
+ use whatever controller you like
+ uses on HDMI

- Not OG hardware - this may be okay by most for NES/SNES but ive not heard good things about Genesis emulation last time
- still not sure if the SD allows ROM play - this'd possibly save me the $ of a flashcart but i don't see anything definitive

Is there any release date info on the Retron 5 yet. Really want that thing so I can put away most of my old consoles

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Doesn't the retron outputs the games at hd resolution? I mean, doesn't it have an internal scaler?

I don't know how emulated the Retron5 is, but isn't it the equivalent of fullscreening an emulator on a PC without any filters applied to it and outputting it to the TV (aka, the best solution)?

The retron only supports carts, afaik.

I really wish the Raspberry Pi was a little more powerful (or that the emulators were better coded). It's always on and already on my HomeTheater setup (It's my XBMC box). If I could play roms of the games I own in it, I would free some space (and play my SNES games. My snes is boxed away, because I don't have room for it).

Cody_D165

Banned
I finally got to add this game to my collection. Snagged it for $65 after a couple trade ins.

GEDC0664_zpsa66a1245.jpg

I know it has a reputation of being a bad port (or not a port at all or whatever) but still a game I've been on the lookout for.

Don't pay attention to the naysayers: this is a great game. The music is amazing. Sounds different than the PC Engine original, but it is equally good.

Also, it's not as tough as the AVGN says it is: Dracula isn't that hard when you've practiced a bit.

Enjoy! :)

IrishNinja

Doesn't the retron outputs the games at hd resolution? I mean, doesn't it have an internal scaler?

I don't know how emulated the Retron5 is, but isn't it the equivalent of fullscreening an emulator on a PC without any filters applied to it and outputting it to the TV (aka, the best solution)?

The retron only supports carts, afaik.

there's a difference between just putting old carts at 720p/1080p res like an HDTV does and properly upscaling them to said resolutions, i very much doubt the retron 5 does the latter, especially at @ $100

I finally got to add this game to my collection. Snagged it for $65 after a couple trade ins.

I know it has a reputation of being a bad port (or not a port at all or whatever) but still a game I've been on the lookout for.

great deal man! and yeah it's a better game than people give it credit for

Top Bottom