• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
there's a difference between just putting old carts at 720p/1080p res like an HDTV does and properly upscaling them to said resolutions, i very much doubt the retron 5 does the latter, especially at @ $100

Well, yes. Getting a 240i video signal to 720 or 1080p is one thing.

But isn't the Retron heavily based on emulation? I don't understand why they can't just upscale nearest neighbour whatever video resolution they emulate to 1080p and pipe it out the HDMI interface, basically doing what a computer with a fullscreen NES emulator would do.

I kinda never understood the Retron: It's emulation, but they keep talking about dismantling older calculators to retrieve memory chips from them. Why would you need old memory chips if you're emulating most of the thing?

It's slow and clunky alright, but for what it is (a first generation GB game), it's okay. Music is surprisingly cool. That being said, I'm easy to please when it comes to that series (2D wise). I had a very good time with Castlevania Legends as well.

P.S. Thinking about it, the only one I really don't care for is Castlevania Chronicles on the PS1.

Teknoman

It's slow and clunky alright, but for what it is (a first generation GB game), it's okay. Music is surprisingly cool. That being said, I'm easy to please when it comes to that series (2D wise). I had a very good time with Castlevania Legends as well.

P.S. Thinking about it, the only one I really don't care for is Castlevania Chronicles on the PS1.

lol i'm the exact opposite. Really like Chronicles and its arranged OST. Maybe I need to spend a little more time with it though since I had fun with Castlevania 1.

Jhriad

drizzle said:
I kinda never understood the Retron: It's emulation, but they keep talking about dismantling older calculators to retrieve memory chips from them. Why would you need old memory chips if you're emulating most of the thing?

Because emulation can be done entirely within software (what you're thinking of) or a combination of software and hardware. A good recent example of this would be the emulation in the second generation of PS3 models. It was a combination of software (emulating the CPU) and the PS2 GPU. With a hardware solution you could more easily achieve compatibility with a larger portion of the library.

Software emulation, from my understanding, isn't an ideal solution from an accuracy & compatability standpoint. If your looking to emulate some thing precisely you'll probably need some hardware solution or a computer FAR in excess of the power of the desired system. Most software emulation is simply "good enough" and that's it. Even now the better emulators aren't entirely accurate to the original source material.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol i'm the exact opposite. Really like Chronicles and its arranged OST. Maybe I need to spend a little more time with it though since I had fun with Castlevania 1.

Chronicles is sweeeeeeet.

I bought a couple SNES games recently. I haven't gotten them yet. But when I do, I think I might even play them.

So the Sony Wega I recently acquired has a wonky picture in the top right corner (like a 3 inch by 3 inch square). Bummer!

Now to haul that thing back downstairs and recycle it haha.

Noahd42

Banned
I picked up a SNES with Super Mario World and NHL 97 (must be a Canadian thing) for 40 bucks last week. I'm moving soon so I am eager to reunite it with my collection. I decided to sell my SNES stuff before I moved initially but I'm glad to get back in the game and round out my 16 bit collection.

televator

Anybody buy games and stuff from a website called eStarland? They have something I want there for what looks like a reasonable price... I'd like to know if they're legit.

televator

Hmmm... I was going to check out and pay for something there and here's what happened:

www.estarland.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

That's what Firefox is telling me...

Edit: Thanks guys! I just used Internet Explorer and nothing came up. Hehe! Mission Stick get! I know it's the wrong thread, but I didn't want to risk getting beaten at getting the thing I was eying. :p

StAidan

Anybody buy games and stuff from a website called eStarland? They have something I want there for what looks like a reasonable price... I'd like to know if they're legit.

Just FYI, you should watch their eBay sales if you're at all interested in some serious minty CIBs. They seem to sell their best stuff there.

Zing

Banned
I've traded items in to estarland with good results. I've never been able to find any NES or SNES games I wanted, though.

I really lucked out on my FF3. Gamestop was clearing out their stock in 2005 or so and I got it on the cheap. They had an FF2 as well but I passed on it and got DOA3 or something lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I'm on a retro game kick like never before. Well, mostly playing old games rather than buying new ones, but that's arguably more important, right?

Anyway... I think it's going to be a longer term thing for me, because I was sitting at my computer about to play Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and then I was prompted to install and update uplay, then create an account on it, then activate the game, and then I lost interest in playing it altogether by the time I actually started the game. So goddamn tired of dumb shit.

I like systems where like... I can start a game, and then play it.

IrishNinja

so, a few weeks ago, i had rented Bioshock Infinite for 360, and my buddy let me borrow Revengeance for PS3. it was an awesome weekend ahead of me!

i started up the PS3....firmware update. while waiting, i start up the 360...also firmware update. oh, that's right, my buddy told me to get some free DLC for revengeance while it was up, so after the update, i went to the store...which also needed its own update.

now, the 360 was installing bioshock, and the ps3, after the store caught up, was downloading DLC...it froze, because my system (or at least HDD) might be kinda borked, so i had to restart.

20 something minutes later, both games were ready, but i just spent a few hours with gunstar heroes & rolling thunder 2 instead, which is what i shoulda done to begin with. both games were great when i got around to them, mind you, but long story short: this quoted line could be a retro GAF motto, haha.

Danny Dudekisser

so, a few weeks ago, i had rented Bioshock Infinite for 360, and my buddy let me borrow Revengeance for PS3. it was an awesome weekend ahead of me!

i started up the PS3....firmware update. while waiting, i start up the 360...also firmware update. oh, that's right, my buddy told me to get some free DLC for revengeance while it was up, so after the update, i went to the store...which also needed its own update.

now, the 360 was installing bioshock, and the ps3, after the store caught up, was downloading DLC...it froze, because my system (or at least HDD) might be kinda borked, so i had to restart.

20 something minutes later, both games were ready, but i just spent a few hours with gunstar heroes & rolling thunder 2 instead, which is what i shoulda done to begin with. both games were great when i got around to them, mind you, but long story short: this quoted line could be a retro GAF motto, haha.

It's dumb. Like, my computer cost something like $2500 to build, because it's pretty goddamn decked out, but I don't really use the thing for anything but work for the same sorts of reasons you just mentioned. Fuck. I just want to have fun. Can't these motherfuckers understand that? Oh well.

That's the only thing I know and the only thing I want. The most "recent" console I have is the Wii and I never play online and whatnot. Never played a PC game either. Even the Wii, I hate that little "hub" thing where I have to select the window with the game I inserted in the console: just fire up the game already, that's why I put it in the system in the first place, not to browse the weather channel or YouTube. Video game systems today are too "feature-laden" for their own good. /oldmanrant

this quoted line could be a retro GAF motto
Lol, indeed

And to add on to that, all the constant updates and patches...yet my super old copy of SMW plugs in and works just beautifully without patches or updates.

I would be so behind a home console by Nintendo, Sega or even Sony where all the money and power is put towards the actual gaming experience and not the peripheral stuff. I don't know if there would be a market for that though, but it's really all I need. Thank God for retro games.

Fox Mulder

I would be so behind a home console by Nintendo, Sega or even Sony where all the money and power is put towards the actual gaming experience and not the peripheral stuff. I don't know if there would be a market for that though, but it's really all I need. Thank God for retro games.

Those days are gone. Nintendo may have been willing to do it if the gamecube had sold better. It was comparable to the Xbox in power and only played games.

Now we're just going to get weak hardware from them forever and everything boxes from MS and Sony.

Danny Dudekisser

Right place, meet right time:

y3Axm5N.jpg

I had Yoshi's Island back when it came out, but I, in a genuinely moronic move, sold it to get the GBA version when I heard that version had some extra levels. Nobody seemed to make much of a fuss about the music being completely fucked, or the graphics taking a hit, or the new levels kinda sucking. Fuck that. Took 8 goddamn years for me to remedy that mistake.

Got at least one other Sufami game headed my way, though really nothing that interesting.

IrishNinja

^damn Chacranajxy, congrats man!

based on my ambassador copy, i felt the camera angles of the GBA one felt off, or like the image was clipped/didn't fit the screen right, put me right back onto the SNES one as well.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I've finally got myself a SNES again! Nothing rare or amazing with it so far - Mario World, Super Tennis, Alien3, Unirally, Starwing, some F1 game I don't give a toss about, Plok, Mortal Kombat 2 and Mario All-Stars (with Killer Instinct on the way) but, man, this thing was such a part of my gaming lifestyle back in my teens... it feels so good to have one again.

Still need to get Yoshi's Island, Smash Tennis, Vortex and a bunch of other Virtual Console absentees. Just thought I'd post how elated I am to have one again!

Teknoman

Anyone know a good place to order manuals from? Its pretty hit or miss on ebay. Not really big on boxed SNES games (wont turn em down at a good price, but not actively seeking them) but i've always liked reading the manuals.

IrishNinja

there's one dude in buy/sell, and i know ive seen more on nintendoage...also, NOA's site lists them but says if they don't have originals, you get B&W copies which may or may not work for you, but it's another option!

Teknoman

there's one dude in buy/sell, and i know ive seen more on nintendoage...also, NOA's site lists them but says if they don't have originals, you get B&W copies which may or may not work for you, but it's another option!

Really, never knew NOA sold manuals as well. I'll definitely check that out (its funny since I never go to Nintendo main sites unless its a Direct or Club Nintendo).

Oh this arrived today:

jbhHBqSqLdof14.jpg

Samuray

I loved looking at all those collection photos in this thread and so I decided to contribute. I have not nearly as many carts as some....well, most of you in here, but I just recently got back into it, so bear with me here. :)
Luckily I never sold my old games so when I started collecting again about 18 months ago, I didn't have to start from scratch. But since I am collecting and playing pretty much all systems from NES to Dreamcast I can't buy nearly as many SNES games as I'd like. :D

One more detail: I'm in Germany, but PAL games are clearly not my priority. Started with an US-NTSC system back when it launched due to 60Hz, RGB (which PAL systems also support, yes) and earlier release dates. Then I got a PAL system for free back then with a couple of games, and I just recently had it modified for 60Hz support. My US console also plays Super Famicom games due to some tiny modification inside the cart slot.

Okay, let's get to the photos before I have to add a TL;DR :)

My US games:

34C708F5-EFC1-4697-BFBE-6ACEF411F63C-549-0000003F7F63A67B_zps46c9b71f.jpg

I got "Magic Sword" a few weeks ago from a fellow GAFfer, Credo, who was kind enough to send the game all the way to Germany. Thanks, man!

Japanese Games:

819A119C-BB0A-4603-82DF-4CBA9F83C132-549-0000003FA8A7FDF0_zpsf56c0472.jpg

PAL games:

2818A99F-1546-4600-90F3-8FAEFC6947CB-549-0000003F8B8AA523_zpsa0dc6863.jpg

And four reproductions I bought just recently:

83FA157A-9714-4A99-A3BC-6AFF5CB3F5CF-549-000000579A493148_zpsda805ff6.jpg

That's it for now. Still a long way to go a acquire all the games I'd like to have someday, and if you feel the need to sell some complete US or JP games and are not adversed to sending them across the ocean, please contact me :D

newarrior

Been remodeling my garage and turning part of it into a bit of a nerd cave for my comic collection and classic gaming consoles. Picked up a used SNES cheap and a few games, can't wait to finish and hook it all up!

Cody_D165

Banned
Garage sales were a bust today but I bought a copy of Super Tennis for 50 cents. (They sold the other games before I got there...)

Yeah it's a sports game I'll probably never play but I couldn't resist at that price.

Is Super Tennis any good, SNES-GAF? Maybe I'll pop it in just to try it.

Super Tennis is a very enjoyable game IMO. I still play it once in a while! (I bought it new myself for $20 back in 96-97.)
The SNES has some of the best sports games of the era, contrary to what we have been led to believe (Genesis).

Seik

Banned
Right place, meet right time:

y3Axm5N.jpg

I had Yoshi's Island back when it came out, but I, in a genuinely moronic move, sold it to get the GBA version when I heard that version had some extra levels. Nobody seemed to make much of a fuss about the music being completely fucked, or the graphics taking a hit, or the new levels kinda sucking. Fuck that. Took 8 goddamn years for me to remedy that mistake.

Got at least one other Sufami game headed my way, though really nothing that interesting.

Grats! That's quite something you got there! :D

Chucker

Hitting up the flea market again tomorrow, bringing a buddy and taking detailed pics for future inventory.

Should be fun!

Top Bottom