• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Bog

Junior Ace
A CIB TMNT IV just went for $222 on ebay. The box wasn't even perfect.

What in the world...

Bar81

A CIB TMNT IV just went for $222 on ebay. The box wasn't even perfect.

What in the world...

Welcome to the madness. Repros fetching hundreds of dollars, loose carts at $100+. Just be happy you are only interested in SNES/SFC games. You don't even want to know what the rare Neo Geo AES games go for these days.

Any yes, I am Bar81 and I am part of the problem (when it comes to complete mint games).

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Hey guys,
I have an opportunity to pick up Earthbound and Ogre Battle for $160, package deal only. Should I bite? Carts only, btw

ogre battle loose price seems to be going weird with it theres some on amazon right now going for $65 but usually it goes for $90-100 and earth bound goes for $200+ loose cart so yeah thats a great deal if both are in great shape

My story is that i sold my original PAL Australian collection to fund a PlayStation back in the day... ahh it would have been worth a fortune now (kept everything perfect).
But then again, don't think i would sell it if i still had it.

But anyway after regretting i decided to re-attain some games in their Super Famicom releases... way back in 2002 using Ebay. Got these then kinda just forgot about the whole idea:

But last year i nabbed a MIB Zelda 3 Super Famicom version and left it in Japan for when we eventually move over there (don't have a pic). Have since decided that i just need to get Super Mario World in good nick and then i'll consider my collection complete - want to eventually mount them somehow in groups of 3, representing 3 Mode 7 games, 3 Super FX games and 3 SNES inaugural main mascot games.

In 2005 i went to Japan for the first time with my wife and in her small hometown, we found a toy shop selling this for 3000Y.

It was on display with the box flipped inside out to show the console (see it often in Japan) but is otherwise untouched. The closest i've come to it:

Still has the new Nintendo smell!

Celine

Welcome to the madness. Repros fetching hundreds of dollars, loose carts at $100+. Just be happy you are only interested in SNES/SFC games. You don't even want to know what the rare Neo Geo AES games go for these days.

Any yes, I am Bar81 and I am part of the problem (when it comes to complete mint games).
Sad but true.

Michan

Anyone know a good place to order manuals from? Its pretty hit or miss on ebay. Not really big on boxed SNES games (wont turn em down at a good price, but not actively seeking them) but i've always liked reading the manuals.

I'm interested in boxes (any region), but not necessarily manuals. Perhaps we should talk!

IrishNinja

wait, did AES games go up? i thought they were always about that expensive...i'm so gonna buy this mega pack plus or whatever for the gold x later on

Bar81

wait, did AES games go up? i thought they were always about that expensive...i'm so gonna buy this mega pack plus or whatever for the gold x later on

Don't do it. The X is dirty, so dirty (and not in that naughty girl kind of way). All it is emulation and it's fubared emulation at that. Not to mention that the scumbags at Tommo are using an open source emulator (which they can't even configure properly) and charging money for it. You would be better off getting a CMVS and MVS carts, which are relatively affordable.

Fox Mulder

Hey guys,
I have an opportunity to pick up Earthbound and Ogre Battle for $160, package deal only. Should I bite? Carts only, btw

Yes.

Earthbound is coming down from being over $200 loose after the VC announcement, but who knows how far it will fall with it getting released on the WiiU only.

Lettuce

This turned up yesterday....

ibxKNJx95cjSgM.JPG

No yellowing what so ever and seem to have a better picture than my US NTSC console!

But goddamn the cords on the official Super Famicom pads are short

jbueno

Right place, meet right time:

y3Axm5N.jpg

I had Yoshi's Island back when it came out, but I, in a genuinely moronic move, sold it to get the GBA version when I heard that version had some extra levels. Nobody seemed to make much of a fuss about the music being completely fucked, or the graphics taking a hit, or the new levels kinda sucking. Fuck that. Took 8 goddamn years for me to remedy that mistake.

Got at least one other Sufami game headed my way, though really nothing that interesting.

So beautiful, I might just cry. Congrats!

Bog

Junior Ace

Luckily I got most of what I want for SNES when I was a kid (and I was one of those kids who kept things pristine). Neo Geo is about the only thing I don't collect, but I've been eyeing consoles on ebay over the last few months...

This turned up yesterday....

ibxKNJx95cjSgM.JPG

No yellowing what so ever and seem to have a better picture than my US NTSC console!

But goddamn the cords on the official Super Famicom pads are short

That's fucking gorgeous.

Bar81

Neo Geo is about the only thing I don't collect, but I've been eyeing consoles on ebay over the last few months...

Don't start unless you have a lot of disposable income and a lot of patience. I recommend the CMVS route if you must.

Any hidden gems that I missed?

That Gyromite might have the Famicom converter in it. If you could verify it was a five-screw and weighed it in your hand vs a regular NES game and noticed it was heavier, I would have bought it.

Cybernator is a great game if you don't have it yet.

Good buys!

Chucker

That Gyromite might have the Famicom converter in it. If you could verify it was a five-screw and weighed it in your hand vs a regular NES game and noticed it was heavier, I would have bought it.

Cybernator is a great game if you don't have it yet.

Good buys!

Held the Gyromites he had, all were 5-Screw, none felt heavier.

Teknoman

Forgotten Worlds, Super R-type, and Cybernator.

Also you should have grabbed Earthworm Jim 1 and Actraiser 1 for me :p

Terrible. Who would've have thought that mankind will try to exploit the uninformed. For shame.

The messed up part is the seller wasnt really coaxing people on about it being rare or whatever. People just actually wanted to pay that much...and I dont think Star Ocean 1 is really that great compared to most SNES rpgs.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So I'm kinda thinking about picking up Run Saber. How is it?

I dunno. I guess I'm trying to find some of the more obscure SNES actioners that I didn't play the first time around. For example, I picked up Hagane a couple years ago and never even opened the box. I'd like more games to do that with.

IrishNinja

I dunno. I guess I'm trying to find some of the more obscure SNES actioners that I didn't play the first time around. For example, I picked up Hagane a couple years ago and never even opened the box. I'd like more games to do that with.

i was just thinking about this one myself, feels like a fun strider clone of sorts and it's only about $30 loose, not too bad. wait you never played hagane? and you want more games not to play? that's crazy-talk!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
i was just thinking about this one myself, feels like a fun strider clone of sorts and it's only about $30 loose, not too bad. wait you never played hagane? and you want more games not to play? that's crazy-talk!

I'm pretty sure I'll love Hagane. But yeah, I haven't gotten around to it, and I bought it two years ago. I'm saving up games for retirement.

IrishNinja

hahaha....as i pick up more retro shit than i'll even touch for the next year or so, i think i'll start telling myself that too

it's sadly more uplifting than "i'll save these for our cold digital future"

J_Lee

Banned
Yardsales are my place to be I have bought games of many different old consoles for like 25 cent that would go on ebay for upwards of $20 most of the time the Flea Markets in my area the vendors know how much things are worth.

Jhriad

Yardsales are my place to be I have bought games of many different old consoles for like 25 cent that would go on ebay for upwards of $20 most of the time the Flea Markets in my area the vendors know how much things are worth.

Yard Sales are great when find anything. Sadly that is a rather rare occurrence in my area. Unless you're looking for Wii games it's pretty much dead out there. There will the occasional find but even then you probably have to get there at like 6 or 7 in the morning just to get it before it's gone. I've slowly begun to wonder if it's even worth bothering with yard sales as I know I've spent enough in gas that I could easily have bought a good number more games on eBay.

Get it, it's a poor man's Strider, but it's still fun!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Before I list them anywhere else, would anyone here be interested in a US copy of Captain Commando (it has a tear on the top of the label) or Secret of Evermore?

Pretty disappointing day. Went to the place where I've been getting tons of shit from for months now at awesome prices. They just jacked their prices. They didn't have much SNES stuff so I don't know how they went, but their NES prices are literally double (more for some) what they were three weeks ago when I was there last.

Anything at all popular more than doubled. They wanted $10 for Castlevania, which I can't imagine they charged more than 4.99 for before (I bet it was 1.99 before actually). Pretty shitty. Glad I've acquired the vast majority of what I want already, cause the free ride is done it seems. I did grab a few things, and had to go back in cause some of it rang up double the labeled price. They're good about giving you the lowest price, whether it's on the sticker or in the computer. So, it was no big deal. But it assured me that they did in fact just crank up the prices.

Hmm... a place nearby had Gradius III for about $8 and I was thinking about picking it up. Granted, I'm not to good at SHUMPs and Gradius III is pretty difficult from what I hear, but I guess it'd be worth adding to my collection.

That's kind of a high price for Gradius III, isn't it? The SNES port is bad and suffers from way too much slowdown. I'd recommend the PS2 or hell, even the PSP versions over the SNES one.

That's kind of a high price for Gradius III, isn't it? The SNES port is bad and suffers from way too much slowdown. I'd recommend the PS2 or hell, even the PSP versions over the SNES one.

Is it? I know it's worse than the arcade version, but I didn't know it was generally considered a bad port overall.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love the SNES version of Gradius III, FWIW. I consider it it's own thing from the arcade version.

I wouldn't say it's considered a "bad port".

Top Bottom