• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Well, I'm not much of a shump guy (my experience with the genre is mostly limited to Giga Wong, Sonic Wings 2 and Battle Bakraid), so I wasn't sure of the general consensus on it, haha. I'll probably end up picking it up.

This turned up yesterday....

ibxKNJx95cjSgM.JPG

No yellowing what so ever and seem to have a better picture than my US NTSC console!

But goddamn the cords on the official Super Famicom pads are short

Congrats! I always swap out my cords for longer ones.

Teknoman

Are the Majesco re-releases of Mega Man X any different from the first prints? Cartridge wise I mean. The one I just got from ebay has the info reserved for rear stickers, engraved on the cartridge as usual...but the front label, while in good shape, feels odd.

I dunno if its a reprinted label or what, but it doesnt seem to have that gloss/feel that a normal SNES label would have.

Are the Majesco re-releases of Mega Man X any different from the first prints? Cartridge wise I mean. The one I just got from ebay has the info reserved for rear stickers, engraved on the cartridge as usual...but the front label, while in good shape, feels odd.

I dunno if its a reprinted label or what, but it doesnt seem to have that gloss/feel that a normal SNES label would have.

The labels for the Majesco re-releases are made of cheaper material, IIRC. I used to own the Majesco re-releases of Contra III and Castlevania IV, and the labels definitely seemed a bit different from the usual glossy ones you normally find on SNES games.

Sanctuary

It's rather depressing reading all of these staple games people are desperately wanting. I had all of them, and then I loaned my system and all of my games to a cousin back in 2000.
Poof, they all magically vanished.

At least I still have all of my Saturn games /sigh.

Haha I was just about to say Paging Black Falcon.

We've debated this game earlier in the thread. Gradius III is a fun game but I personally feel like Space Megaforce, UN Squadron, RType 3 and Axelay are better.
These are the five best SNES shooters right there. Of those, I would say R-Type III is the "worst". (Gradius is my favourite too!)

Add in Super Nova and I agree. Someone sell me R-Type III plz.
I love all things Darius (yes Cody, I really like Darius Twin as well), but Super Nova is definitely at the bottom of the list for me. I have it, but I never really could get into it (it's kind of hard too, isn't it?).

I don't mind the slowdown in Gradius, in fact it's quite helpful in places (as well, the SNES game is more interesting than the arcade version I've played on that PS2 compilation).

Teknoman

The labels for the Majesco re-releases are made of cheaper material, IIRC. I used to own the Majesco re-releases of Contra III and Castlevania IV, and the labels definitely seemed a bit different from the usual glossy ones you normally find on SNES games.

Cool, good to know.

depths20XX

I love all things Darius (yes Cody, I really like Darius Twin as well), but Super Nova is definitely at the bottom of the list for me. I have it, but I never really could get into it (it's kind of hard too, isn't it?).

I don't mind the slowdown in Gradius, in fact it's quite helpful in places (as well, the SNES game is more interesting than the arcade version I've played on that PS2 compilation).

Don't get me wrong the SNES Darius games aren't the greatest in the series but I feel like Super Nova is definitely better than Darius Twin. More challenging, but not over board. Better music and stage variation also. I haven't honestly finished it yet though. Been playing it lately and can get to around the 6th stage or so.

I've always like the first stage background effects and music in Super Nova. Pretty cool for the SNES.

Have you tried Sagaia on the Genesis? I enjoy it a lot. In the end, I played it more than Darius Twin and Super Nova, even though I've owned the previous two for a lot longer time (I'll go back to the SNES Dariuses when I have a few minutes though).

Bog

Junior Ace
Got a super mint copy of Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures in the mail today. Ended up being in even better shape than it looked from the pictures. Less than $20, too.

Parallacs

Got a super mint copy of Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures in the mail today. Ended up being in even better shape than it looked from the pictures. Less than $20, too.

Enjoy getting destroyed in the Arc tomb level. Really fun game though, and it gets easier with the Temple of Doom and Last Crusade levels.

NyMartin

Banned
does anyone know of any stores in NYC that have good deals on retro games other than Video Games NY?

That place is way expensive sometimes

Bog

Junior Ace
Got my XRGB Mini last week. Anyone know a reliable place to get some cables for this thing?

I've read it's easier to replace the included Japanese cable with a Euro SCART adapter, since SCART cables are easier to come by for SNES, Saturn, Genesis, etc. Of course the one ebay seller that everyone relies on is on vacation until mid-July...

does anyone know of any stores in NYC that have good deals on retro games other than Video Games NY?

That place is way expensive sometimes

The only other place that comes to mind is 8-Bit and Up, which literally only blocks away from VGNY. Their selection isn't as great (And sometimes the staff can be kind of unpleasant, apparently), but their prices are usually lower. It's on St. Marks Place just off of 2nd Ave.

It sucks that those are the only two decent places in the city for retro stuff. Even the Mom 'n Pop stores are kind of a bust these days (Madden 98 and NHL 94 galore).

Teknoman

Got my XRGB Mini last week. Anyone know a reliable place to get some cables for this thing?

I've read it's easier to replace the included Japanese cable with a Euro SCART adapter, since SCART cables are easier to come by for SNES, Saturn, Genesis, etc. Of course the one ebay seller that everyone relies on is on vacation until mid-July...

If its the seller I think you mean, yeah...you only have a small window to buy stuff from her. Its well worth it when she returns though.

Picking up these three for $30 tomorrow

Missed out on Yoshi's Island (GBA) + GBA SP deal on Craigslist today for cheap. I'm bummed because its the only classic Mario game I don't have.

Nice. I never bother with Craigslist. Too small of an area with too many vintage game stores that I assume watch it all day every day. There was someone selling a SNES with a good chunk of games for $50 last week around here. He took it down pretty quick and relisted with individual prices. Must have caught on when he got so much attention. Was probably a good $200-250 worth of stuff.

IrishNinja

If its the seller I think you mean, yeah...you only have a small window to buy stuff from her. Its well worth it when she returns though.

heh..yeah, we're obviously all talkin bout retro_console_accessories here; i too am dying for her to get back on for an N64 SCART RGB...her communication isn't great but she's in my homestate of FL so shit's fast when she ships, and the quality is top-notch. i keep wanting to look for my last cord from another source, but a fellow gaffer bought a mislabeled euro or JP SCART and fried the RGB on his mini, so fuck that noise.

ps congrats on the investment! thing's so awesome, im still messing with settings sometimes too.

Nice. I never bother with Craigslist. Too small of an area with too many vintage game stores that I assume watch it all day every day. There was someone selling a SNES with a good chunk of games for $50 last week around here. He took it down pretty quick and relisted with individual prices. Must have caught on when he got so much attention. Was probably a good $200-250 worth of stuff.

this is literally the only advantage i get out of a big city with nearly nonexistent retro scene; i have to act fast, but i can sometimes net big hauls on the super cheap cause some folks dont seem to know or care what shit's worth, they just want it out...best deals ive pulled have been either relatives moving in or "my wife says it's gotta go, didnt wanna just dump it" etc type shit, heh

Haha I was just about to say Paging Black Falcon.

I'm far from the only person who loves Gradius III...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60919765&postcount=107 -- my 'favorite shmups and other related subgenres' post from that poll/list thread. I was thinking of putting Gradius III in the top five, but three Gradius games there seemed like too much, so I went with Nexzr instead... and I just couldn't pick Gradius III over Interstellar Assault. The Interstellar Assault is a LOT shorter and easier, but I love that game so much, even more so than the exceptional Gradius III. At least Gradius III was in the honorable mentions, though.

We've debated this game earlier in the thread. Gradius III is a fun game but I personally feel like Space Megaforce, UN Squadron, RType 3 and Axelay are better.
Axelay is the worst game on that list. R-Type 3 and UN Squadron are great, but not as good as Gradius for sure. Space Megaforce is great as well, but it's not as good as either Gradius III or Blazing Lazers.

Shining

I'm a big shmup fan, but a lot of shooters on the SNES just feels a bit.. off. R-Type III is nice (and hard as hell!) but the only one i consider to be as good as some on the Genesis is Macross - Scrambled Valkyrie. Three ships to choose from, tight controls and almost no slowdown.

NyMartin

Banned
The only other place that comes to mind is 8-Bit and Up, which literally only blocks away from VGNY. Their selection isn't as great (And sometimes the staff can be kind of unpleasant, apparently), but their prices are usually lower. It's on St. Marks Place just off of 2nd Ave.

It sucks that those are the only two decent places in the city for retro stuff. Even the Mom 'n Pop stores are kind of a bust these days (Madden 98 and NHL 94 galore).

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm new here and this caught my eye as I have a huge collection but not the boxes anymore for SNES, Genesis, and N64.
Any idea where I can order the boxes alone?

I'm a big shmup fan, but a lot of shooters on the SNES just feels a bit.. off. R-Type III is nice (and hard as hell!) but the only one i consider to be as good as some on the Genesis is Macross - Scrambled Valkyrie. Three ships to choose from, tight controls and almost no slowdown.

I think one thing that dampens SNES STGs has to be the slowdown that's so prevalent in many of them; which is why I think Super Aleste/Space Megaforce is such a technical marvel lol.

I've never even heard of that Macross game. Hope it's at least better than the Saturn one.

1Xe9QVB.jpg

This is my (humble) collection. Not too many games but I have some of the best I guess. I try to do yard sales as often as I can but I can't really find anything (I did find a Lunar 2 Complete guide for 10 bucks though). Ebay's pretty much the only option I have for SNES games.

Been looking for stuff like King of Dragons, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire 1-2 etc but I don't want to spend a small fortune for them. Oh well.

Bar81

I've never even heard of that Macross game. Hope it's at least better than the Saturn one.

Much better and a good game. Nothing wrong with the SS/PSX game - you kind of get to play along to the movie and it's dirt cheap. Also, the PC Engine has a pretty good Macross game as well.

Grief.exe

Just ordered 10 universal game cases for $20 off of ebay.

Best deal I've seen so far, so jumped at the deal. Honestly, its all I really need.

IrishNinja

Just ordered 10 universal game cases for $20 off of ebay.

Best deal I've seen so far, so jumped at the deal. Honestly, its all I really need.

not bad, i keep wanting to go in on a bunch with a fellow gaffer - next time though, there's one seller doing 12 for 20, marked as "BEST ON EBAY", just a heads-up if you need more later!

i always always need more

Grief.exe

not bad, i keep wanting to go in on a bunch with a fellow gaffer - next time though, there's one seller doing 12 for 20, marked as "BEST ON EBAY", just a heads-up if you need more later!

With free shipping? That is a good deal and I didn't see that one.

I wanted to go in with a couple Gaffers, but I realized that I really only needed about 10 and wasn't worth the hassle.

linkboy

I broke down a few years ago and bought a 100 pack of them, so I've a ton of extras for when I need them.

Has anyone tried to clean the yellowing with the famous retr0bright?

Somewhere in this thread are pictures of a SNES I used it on. I just used the simple liquid version, worked really well. Others have warned it will come back eventually though, but it's easy enough to do it wouldn't be a big deal to have to do it every year or two.

EDIT: Found it.

fBajVsc.jpg

That's after a day and a half of sitting in sunlight.

Oh, also, I used the normal hydrogen peroxide you find at wal-mart. You do not need the higher concentration shit a lot of guides tell you you do.

Yeah, half the posts in my area are dealers saying they'll buy your old games.

Yeah, there is definitely wayyyyy more of that in this area than actual listings. Like I said, pretty small area and there are quite a few game shops around.

A friend who lives a couple hours away said there is a flea market by him every two weeks. He's not into games so he couldn't tell me if there was ever anything like that, but said there were usually a good 60 tables set up. So gonna go check that out in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something cool.

This is what comes up when I search for SNES stuff in my area on Craigslist:

Craigslist said:
'XBOX360 BACKUPS' REVELATIONS, RIPTIDE, LAST LIGHT, INJUSTICE & MOREE!
Modded Psp 3000 slim
*****MODDING*** ps3/xbox360/wii/psp/iphone/pc/mac
Buying Retro Video Games (Nintendo, SNES, Sega, Playstation, etc)
500 gamecube games for the Wii on 1 drive
We Buy Your Old Video Games
RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR TICKETS FOR CHEAP!

Did I mention how much NYC sucks?

IrishNinja

^man i don't usually narc but im flagging the dudes that are offering to install emulators to your PC for like $50 because damn that's greedy...and yeah, WE BUY OLD GAMES is like 80% of our listings in MIA

Grief.exe

Wow, Denver must be the place to find retro games on Craigslist.

I started looking in early March and so far I've bought:

Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 2
Mega Man X
Super Mario Kart
Metroid II
Metroid Zero Mission
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Super Mario Advance 4 Super Mario Brothers 3
FFVI Advance
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap
Golden Sun II
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Perfect Dark
Jet Force Gemini
Super Mario Land 1-3

Granted, the majority of these games are GBA but even those games are fairly rare. I also consider my SNES collection mostly complete.

I would say my only most haves left for SNES are

Super Mario RPG
Earthbound
Harvest Moon
Super Metroid

I'm actually having more trouble finding the DS games that I want than the Super Nintendo and Game Boy Advance games.

Teknoman

So does Dracula X SNES take place after Rondo, or is it a retelling? Also whats a good price to pay for either language version?

Leonsito

Somewhere in this thread are pictures of a SNES I used it on. I just used the simple liquid version, worked really well. Others have warned it will come back eventually though, but it's easy enough to do it wouldn't be a big deal to have to do it every year or two.

EDIT: Found it.

fBajVsc.jpg

That's after a day and a half of sitting in sunlight.

Oh, also, I used the normal hydrogen peroxide you find at wal-mart. You do not need the higher concentration shit a lot of guides tell you you do.

That looks really better than I expected, I may give it a try, if the sunlight is really important I will have to wait a couple of weeks till the weather gets better here lol

Shining

I think one thing that dampens SNES STGs has to be the slowdown that's so prevalent in many of them; which is why I think Super Aleste/Space Megaforce is such a technical marvel lol.

dat Genesis Blast Processing ;)

It's Super Famicom only, but you should definitely look it up. Plays great!

Chucker

A guy on CL has King of Dragons listed for $20, gonna pick it up after work.

Sidenote: Got my scart cables in and finally hooked up my systems to the RGB input. It is GLORIOUS.
KGVslba.jpg

The Genny looks ridiculous.

Top Bottom