• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

A guy on CL has King of Dragons listed for $20, gonna pick it up after work.

Sidenote: Got my scart cables in and finally hooked up my systems to the RGB input. It is GLORIOUS.
KGVslba.jpg

The Genny looks ridiculous.

What game is that in the picture?

So does Dracula X SNES take place after Rondo, or is it a retelling? Also whats a good price to pay for either language version?

If you shop around on Japanese and import sites, you can get the SFC version loose for under 1000 yen. I paid 960 yen (under $10 USD) for mine earlier this year.

Really not worth the price that the NA version commands unless you're seeking it for collector prestige or whatever.

Chucker

When The Next Level had a podcast I was a co-host. I have a decent headset and audacity etc. depending on the recording schedule I could be available.

Peagles

Just bought Earthbound CIB from a gaffer... I'm so excited I feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm just a student, so it's all my money gone for awhile, but it's so going to be worth it!

Come on international postage!

Chucker

You're using the three-button pad, aren't you?

(Man, I'm talking about Genesis games in the SNES thread, and SNES games in the Genesis thread. How bizarre.)

Nah, I have a few 6-Button pads, and I know X and Z are used to move the bike. I just rarely do it.

Teknoman

If you shop around on Japanese and import sites, you can get the SFC version loose for under 1000 yen. I paid 960 yen (under $10 USD) for mine earlier this year.

Really not worth the price that the NA version commands unless you're seeking it for collector prestige or whatever.

Nah just want to play the game, i'll keep an eye out for it (Japanese version) on the cheap.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just bought Earthbound CIB from a gaffer... I'm so excited I feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm just a student, so it's all my money gone for awhile, but it's so going to be worth it!

Come on international postage!

How much? Come on tell us... We know it's a lot ;)

Peagles

How much? Come on tell us... We know it's a lot ;)

More than a week's rent... T_T

Well it's more than 2 weeks of my share of the rent, hehe.

I'm sure I'll feel better when I've actually got it in my hands. That's if I don't die of an excitement heart attack.

Peagles

$ spent on Earthbound at least goes towards quality + rarity, rather than just rarity. no judging from me, man!

Yeh, well it's kinda extra special for me too because it never was released here. And if I didn't get it from a fellow gaf member I'd probably never get another chance. There's no way I'd ever find even a cart in the wild here, just not gonna happen.

Next on my list is Chrono Trigger :p
Now a local copy of that did come up recently, but it was missing one of the maps and in kinda average condition. It still sold for $370 NZD though T_T
That's nearly our rent for the week, so still pretty crazy.

Chucker

Is there a difference in video quality from a first model SFC and a SNS-001 through RGB? My SNES is a little ugly, and I nice looking SFC for what I'd call cheap.

Chris R

What is my best bet at fixing the SNES yellowing? Not exactly a game issue but it would be nice to have a console that doesn't look like it was submerged in urine for years.

Also hoping the controllers I got of Amazon are of decent quality, could only find one of my controllers while digging my SNES stuff out. Still pissed I lost my original cart of Uniracers but I was able to grab a copy of it in BST half a year ago, still wish I hadn't lost Harvest Moon though :(

Grief.exe

What is my best bet at fixing the SNES yellowing? Not exactly a game issue but it would be nice to have a console that doesn't look like it was submerged in urine for years.

Also hoping the controllers I got of Amazon are of decent quality, could only find one of my controllers while digging my SNES stuff out. Still pissed I lost my original cart of Uniracers but I was able to grab a copy of it in BST half a year ago, still wish I hadn't lost Harvest Moon though :(

Hero used Retrobright on his, posted the pictures a page back.

Somewhere in this thread are pictures of a SNES I used it on. I just used the simple liquid version, worked really well. Others have warned it will come back eventually though, but it's easy enough to do it wouldn't be a big deal to have to do it every year or two.

EDIT: Found it.

fBajVsc.jpg

That's after a day and a half of sitting in sunlight.

Oh, also, I used the normal hydrogen peroxide you find at wal-mart. You do not need the higher concentration shit a lot of guides tell you you do.

Teknoman

You participating in the Job Fiesta?

If I can get it translated in time. Of course I need to read up on it a little more. I've always thought it was just an annual GAF event where people just played through FFV with random jobs set by the thread creator, but never knew about its fund raising qualities.

Pengew

I wonder why a company hasnt started producing cheap snes shells? With all the deteriorating and yellowing snes out there, I figured someone would be selling some.

Pengew

I just worry those shells would be brittle and cheap feeling like some of the controllers I've seen.

I have tried a few controller shells and they do the job. Of course the quality is not as good as the original but they are some what sturdy. I would gladly take that over my brown and constant chipping snes.

Peagles

Bidding for a PVM that ends this afternoon, wish me luck!

It's a 2130QM, what do you folk reckon I should be prepared to pay?

Edit: Wow, got way too pricey for me :(

lvlzero

Banned
Picked these up today:
5Wh9bpJ.jpg

Spent hours going through every controller they had for a pair that were just dirty but not physically scratched/damaged, after 45 min stripping and cleaning i now have two working near mint pads.

hc28DfB.jpg

To play Drift Out on!
DOxCLWH.jpg

Using a supaboy..
xIFOFgV.jpg

Lombaszko

These retro threads are making me so nostalgic!
I just bought a Super Nintendo on eBay and think I did alright for myself.
jtYMX9TKj5TM1.jpg

The yellowing doesn't look too bad and it appears the power adapter is an official Nintendo one, which seems to be slightly uncommon on Amazon and eBay.
I paid a little more than I wanted to, but the local used game shop has a couple for sale at $65-$80 and they look beat up.

Also shopping around and saw a game I'd never heard of called, Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D. I found a nice write up in the OP in this thread and might have to go grab it now.

What kind of price would Super Metroid cart only fetch? I had bought one a while back from a local game shop but i got it on the WiiU and im not a collector so I'd rather sell it to someone who is.

Yeah flea markets are pretty much a pain in the ass. Most of the games are loose (which is fine) but they are almost always in shit condition and the person is asking way too much. I typically ask for a discount if I buy a few games otherwise it's just not worth it.

Peagles

damn, almost afraid to ask, but...so how bad did it get?

Well CRTs never sell for more than a few bucks here, and I stopped bidding at $55 NZD because someone kept auto out bidding me. There's another one ending that has a bid of $135. I mean they're nice, the PVMs, but given how old they are I know I'm only going to get limited life out of them before I'll have to pay ~$200+ to fix the tube, so $50 is about my limit I think.

Edit: Have put up my wanted ad in BST thread for Chrono Trigger :) I should be getting my Ouya refund soon to fund some of that! What should I expect to pay for a copy complete with maps etc and in decent condition?

Jim Power's weird scrolling effects makes me sick lol

Focus on the foreground. Try to ignore those background layers scrolling by so quickly. You'll get used to it if you stick with the game -- and stick with it you should. The game has one of Chris Huelsbeck's best soundtracks ever, and even if it's certainly absolutely insanely hard, it's a compelling game which keeps me coming back again and again...

Top Bottom