• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Cody_D165

Banned
Snagged this off eBay for $65 shipped the other day. Reprinted manual but oh well. My favorite SNES game of all time, so stoked to grab a boxed copy.

$T2eC16RHJHEFFlsjgc2hBRsmrYn01!~~60_57.JPG

That thing is hideous, but I'll probably pick one up eventually just for the Gameboy Advance port.

Just buy a Gamecube and Game Boy Player :p

Grief.exe

Snagged this off eBay for $65 shipped the other day. Reprinted manual but oh well. My favorite SNES game of all time, so stoked to grab a boxed copy.

Just buy a Gamecube and Game Boy Player :p

Gamecube Game Boy Player has multiple issues associated with it. Apparently, its far from perfect.

Fox Mulder

I know folks were inquiring about the Retron5 earlier in the thread. Looks like engadget has a preview.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/...utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

Nothing too in-depth, but apparently it's running Android

That was the guess all along, emulating games through cartridge slots. It's still neat, but I wish it had n64 support instead of a mostly pointless famicom slot. I think the patents for the n64 dont run out until a few years though.

IrishNinja

doesnt NOA do reprint manuals too? i wanna say their site says so

I know folks were inquiring about the Retron5 earlier in the thread. Looks like engadget has a preview.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/...utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

Nothing too in-depth, but apparently it's running Android

thanks for this....doesnt it drop not too long from now? should prolly get its own thread soon

Gamecube Game Boy Player has multiple issues associated with it. Apparently, its far from perfect.

anyone have the specifics here?

edit: @#$% just noticed that the battery in my LTTP died, there goes my 000 victory account, haha. time to learn how to change the batteries out myself!

thanks for this....doesnt it drop not too long from now? should prolly get its own thread soon[/URL]
Supposed to go on sale late Summer 2013 but we'll see if it makes that window. I'm going to wait and see impressions before deciding whether or not to own one. I've got all my classics set up to a CRT, but this might be a nice option for my flat panel if the emulation and visual filters are up to snuff.

edit: some footage in here of Super Punch Out on the R5
http://youtu.be/nFsf0hmaeXs

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally got the other gamesoft I had on the way from glorious Nippon:

syCQhyJ.jpg

It's presumably a new copy. More importantly, it's the uncensored version. For those who haven't played it, the SNES version of Prince of Persia kicks all kinds of ass. It is in every way the best version of the game.

Cody_D165

Banned
So the seller on eBay who I bought the $65 Mario RPG from (see above post) shipped my package late.

As a result, I got another message a couple days back, with a profuse apology. He notified me that because he felt bad about the delay in shipping, he upgraded me to priority mail and included a "bonus item".

I got my package today. I'm so goddamn happy about this. Seriously the best eBay experience I've ever had.

syCQhyJ.jpg

It's presumably a new copy. More importantly, it's the uncensored version. For those who haven't played it, the SNES version of Prince of Persia kicks all kinds of ass. It is in every way the best version of the game.

That cover art is ballin' as fuck.

Grief.exe

Just bought a SNES Mini off eBay for $60 with a copy of Super Mario World. Is this a decent price? I looked around and didn't see much else. I saw some for cheaper with more games, but it was usually just a bunch of sports games and the system looked much dirtier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-SNES-Mini-System-Super-Mario-World-Bundle-Controller-Cords-/330938796017?ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

I thought SNES mini was a bad buy because of this issue.

The SNS-101 features the same "MULTI OUT" audio/video connector used on the original SNS-001 model.[7] However the SNS-101 only outputs composite video and stereo audio through this port, even though the original SNS-001 supported composite video, S-Video and RGB. The video encoder chip used in the system still supports S-Video and RGB, but these pins were left unused. Many users who wished for a better picture resorted to modifying the system to restore this missing functionality.[8]

I'm no expert on that particular model though.

omgkitty

No S-Video and no RGB unless you mod it.

No power indicator LED and no eject lever either. It also feels really light and cheap. Definitely a cost-cutting box.

The worst part is I haven't even paid the guy for it yet :/ The only good thing I've heard about it is that it looks better through composite than the original did, but everything else is a negative.

Thanks for the link. I wonder how I missed that.

I thought there was some guy selling refurbed SFC controllers on ebay that came with an extension cable for $20. Maybe it's wasn't ebay?

Peagles

Have put up my wanted ad in BST thread for Chrono Trigger :) I should be getting my Ouya refund soon to fund some of that! What should I expect to pay for a copy complete with maps etc and in decent condition?

Anyone? I see one went for $150 on ebay, is that about right?

That cover art is ballin' as fuck.

syCQhyJ.jpg

Damn sure is. Especially considering the US got this cover:

pop_snes.jpg

Superior pal cover incoming :

61pTV0lX0UL.jpg

Love konami pal boxes, chrome Is sex

I thought SNES mini was a bad buy because of this issue.

I'm no expert on that particular model though.
It's kinda annoying, the hardware revisions manufacturers do. I want a Jungle Green N64, but if I spring for it, the best video quality I can get out of it is S-Video, because those N64s weren't produced until they had removed RGB support from the console entirely (that is, removed the ability to mod it in - no unmodded NTSC-U N64 has native RGB support). Not that I'm using anything higher than S-Video right now, but the option would be nice, y'know?

IrishNinja

It's kinda annoying, the hardware revisions manufacturers do. I want a Jungle Green N64, but if I spring for it, the best video quality I can get out of it is S-Video, because those N64s weren't produced until they had removed RGB support from the console entirely (that is, removed the ability to mod it in - no unmodded NTSC-U N64 has native RGB support). Not that I'm using anything higher than S-Video right now, but the option would be nice, y'know?

yeah, i was just in this situation - wanted that green, had to get back a near-launch plain black unit to have it properly modded (still waiting on the SCART cable now though). i wonder if i could still get a green & just swap cases though?

Lombaszko

Finally came! Took a while to clean, but I'm very happy with the overall condition.

I did find that the plastic connector on the system for a AC adapter to go into is chipping off, but from what I've seen it seems like a common problem, right?

wheelerj92

Neo Member
Small collection, but im fairly proud. Got most of the classics I wanted. All I need now is an American snes and a super famicom so I can play all the great games we didn't get in PAL land...

IrishNinja

maaaaan was going through my old carts, LTTP battery works but it lost my old data so i don't know that i trust it, and secret of mana isn't working at the moment...i cleaned it thoroughly, but some of the connectors have rusted/have silver bits where gold was. i wanna keep trying t it, worse comes to worse if i have to track it down again i should be able to keep my saves by transferring the battery, no?

maaaaan was going through my old carts, LTTP battery works but it lost my old data so i don't know that i trust it, and secret of mana isn't working at the moment...i cleaned it thoroughly, but some of the connectors have rusted/have silver bits where gold was. i wanna keep trying t it, worse comes to worse if i have to track it down again i should be able to keep my saves by transferring the battery, no?

No.

The save will die the moment you disconnect the battery lol.

It seems like you're under the impression that the battery stores the SRAM data like some kind of memory card. That is not the case.

Yeah, I'd replace that LttP battery. It takes a bit to lose the save, don't think you're safe if you just reset and it was still there, or even five minutes later. If it lasts over night I guess I'd assume you're safe.

As far as getting a cart back to life, the worst of the worst carts, I take them apart and use some Turtle Wax Chrome & Metal Polish. It will blow your mind how much black shit the qtips will get off. I've only done it on a few carts that I could absolutely not get working with my normal cleaning method, and it brought them all back. I dip the qtip in, scrape any excess off so you're not getting huge globs all over, scrub the contacts, scrub them again with an alcohol covered qtip, then scrub them dry with a dry qtip.

Had an NES Zelda and Kirby with pretty oxidized contacts, still brought them back from the brink.

maaaaan was going through my old carts, LTTP battery works but it lost my old data so i don't know that i trust it

A lost some saves on mine years ago, but it's worked fine since. I think I had resetted too fast or by accident or something after turning it on, and it deleted the files. The battery has worked fine otherwise.

I think the batteries for all of my games still work...or at least, I haven't run into any problems besides accidentally deleting those files that one time.

IrishNinja

yeah...that 000 save was a challenge to myself; im never gonna beat LTTP without saving/dying again, haha. shoulda taken a picture!

Coincidentally, today I beat my copy of LTTP that I bought it 8 years ago at a garage sale for $2. Took me long enough lol.

No problems with the battery because it's the Players Choice print, and I think that came out in '96 or '97

Teknoman

Think im gonna contact that jjrepro on Nintendoage, and try to get FFIV and V translated. Hopefully I dont get shot down or they arent too busy. If not, I can settle for one at a time lol.

IrishNinja

she did a bang-up job on V for me like a month or so back...she's been busy but as long as shes still taking orders, you're good. i think i had a delay of a week or two but i wasn't really in a hurry, and it was so worth it for the price.

Why IV, was there a lot lost in translation (like i've heard with VI)?

omgkitty

So I got my SNES in today and was playing some Super Mario World when I noticed it had a slight nick on the sticker on the top of the cartridge. I reached over to touch it to just see if it was a piece of lint or something and the game froze up. I restarted the SNES and all my save data had been lost :(

Is this a common issue? I never really noticed this being a problem when I was younger, but then again I probably never had a reason to touch the cart while I was playing.

Teknoman

she did a bang-up job on V for me like a month or so back...she's been busy but as long as shes still taking orders, you're good. i think i had a delay of a week or two but i wasn't really in a hurry, and it was so worth it for the price.

Why IV, was there a lot lost in translation (like i've heard with VI)?

Yup.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_Differences

That and I just like the SFC cover more + got it for cheap complete. The overall process seems to be cheaper than looking for a complete NA version. Once you get the NA VI, the changes dont really seem that worthwhile to have gone after the JP translated.

iAoinYPZU4ey0.jpg

ibobEpqc76nvCl.jpg

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Here's my current collection with my latest purchase, Secret of Evermore, added to it.

MTRqboB.jpg

I won Secret of Evermore on eBay for around £20 which is £10-so cheaper than what it usually goes for. I also bought Toys and Super Troll Islands a few months ago for cheap from a British pawn chain called Cash Converters. The rest of the collection is from my youth when me and my older brother shared our SNES together. There are two other games I'm currently after, Terranigma and Mega Man X3.

I used to buy and trade a lot of used games when I was younger, which is why Alien 3 has sticker residue on its corner and Mega Man X has a P written on it. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had an 18 sticker on it which I stupidly took off when I didn't know better. I used to have the first two Donkey Kong Country games, I probably traded those in around that time too.

Grief.exe

Here's my current collection with my latest purchase, Secret of Evermore, added to it.

MTRqboB.jpg

I won Secret of Evermore on eBay for around £20 which is £10-so cheaper than what it usually goes for. I also bought Toys and Super Troll Islands a few months ago for cheap from a British pawn chain called Cash Converters. The rest of the collection is from my youth when me and my older brother shared our SNES together. There are two other games I'm currently after, Terranigma and Mega Man X3.

I used to buy and trade a lot of used games when I was younger, which is why Alien 3 has sticker residue on its corner and Mega Man X has a P written on it. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had an 18 sticker on it which I stupidly took off when I didn't know better. I used to have the first two Donkey Kong Country games, I probably traded those in around that time too.

PAL carts

7a62a.gif

Top Bottom