• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

metzger203

Just got this in the mail yesterday. The console is in surprisingly great shape and seems to work perfectly. I still need to clean everything, though. Still on my list: Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country 3, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Jurassic Park, Mega Man Soccer, and Yoshi's Island. I'm considering picking up a smaller CRT TV to play on as well. I can definitely see some artifacts on my LCD, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
JpDhLNF.jpg
Played some DKC with my girlfriend last night and had forgotten how great the music is. "Aquatic Ambience" and "Jib Jig" are amazing.

^^^^^

Awesome pickup! Great way to start out!

So I finally did it, I got Harvest Moon and Breath of Fire II!

I just need R-Type III and Mario Paint with a nice looking mouse and I'm done!

goldenpp72

Hey guys, being pretty new to SNES collecting, i've begun to open up games to see any obvious signs of counterfeit stuff, but i'm not the best to tell.. Anyone have tips? I picked up a CIB MM7 recently and would like to verify it is real. Here are some pictures.

It says Made in Mexico on the label so it's probably a Majesco reprint, yeah?

Mine says the same, and I'm pretty sure I bought mine around release. It also mentions Mexico on the back of the box. I don't think it was very unusual to see that on games at the time, though none of my other SNES Capcom games seem to say anything about Mexico, besides as one of the "for sale only in" places.

Also, I couldn't find anything about a Majesco rerelease of Mega Man 7, only Mega Man X. Every picture I see online also says "Made in Mexico."

Oh, in a somewhat related note, I find it funny that my copy of Mortal Kombat for the Saturn explicitly states that it was NOT made in Mexico in a little sticker disclaimer right above the disc tray. That always gets me. Hah.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Looks like a Majesco reprint going by the "Made in Mexico" bit on the label. The box and labels for the reprints were made with cheaper material, which is probably why it looks weird.

That's what stuck out to me. Just looks kinda... cheap. Wasn't aware that was one of the games Majesco reprinted.

The "Sold by:" bit also seems a bit weird, but it seems that's on all the copies... or at least, most of them.

Don't Majesco reprints all have black and white instructions? My copy of Mega Man 7 has color instruction manuals. I think the "cheapness" is probably because it was sort of a late-ish release for the SNES, coming out at the end of 1995, just a little under a year before the N64 came out. The Saturn and PlayStation were already out then.

And like I mentioned in my previous post, I can't find a single copy online that doesn't also have "Sold by Capcom" and the Mexico stuff on them. Not a single one. It also doesn't show up on any Majesco reprint lists.

I don't think it's a Majesco reprint. I think Capcom was just kinda cheap.

Anyway, I picked this up earlier at the flea market:

Come to think of it, I think only Mega Man X got a Majesco reprint, so I might be mistaken here.

I do remember reading something a while back talking about two different type of "Made in Mexico" releases. One has a "To be be sold only in the USA" line on the back of the box somewhere, and were the ones used for the Majesco re-releases. Another didn't have that distribution stipulation, and actually came with a normal colored manual. I guess this might be one of those cases?

Well, I got curious about the differences between a Majesco release and Mega Man 7, so I took some comparison pics using my Majesco copy of Super Castlevania IV:

I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but the difference in quality in person is definitely noticeable. The print job on the box and label on the Majesco release looks pretty damn cheap, like they used low quality paper and cardboard. Mega Man 7's label looks like any normal SNES release, though the box itself does look a bit cheap in comparison to some other SNES releases, but nowhere near as bad as Majesco's.

You can also see that Super Castlevania IV actually says that it was released by Majesco, while Mega Man 7 only mentions Capcom.

Majesco carts don't have stickers on the back, it's just pressed plastic instead. So, if there isn't a sticker, it's a Majesco. I don't know if there are any Made in Mexico games that aren't Majesco, always assumed there weren't, but I could be wrong there.

As for the cart, as Grief said, it's definitely legit. It's easy to tell if it's fake, because it will have wires on the inside. If you even see a single wire on any of the chips, it's fake.

EDIT: Yeah, weird. Looking on ebay every one I'm seeing is Made in Mexico and have the back stickers. Like you said, Capcom must have just been cheap and had the game made Mexico. First time I think I've seen a non-Majesco Mexican.

jbueno

Majesco carts don't have stickers on the back, it's just pressed plastic instead. So, if there isn't a sticker, it's a Majesco. I don't know if there are any Made in Mexico games that aren't Majesco, always assumed there weren't, but I could be wrong there.

As for the cart, as Grief said, it's definitely legit. It's easy to tell if it's fake, because it will have wires on the inside. If you even see a single wire on any of the chips, it's fake.

EDIT: Yeah, weird. Looking on ebay every one I'm seeing is Made in Mexico and have the back stickers. Like you said, Capcom must have just been cheap and had the game made Mexico. First time I think I've seen a non-Majesco Mexican.

Super Mario RPG was also made in Mexico, at least my launch copy was back in 1996.

Super Mario RPG was also made in Mexico, at least my launch copy was back in 1996.

I got mine around then, too, and it also says Mexico. I wonder if any other games I have say that...

Edit: Tetris & Dr. Mario and Sim City also say that they were made in Mexico. All three have labels on the back, and no signs of Majesco on them.

Though...I did realize that my copies of Goof Troop and X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse are Majesco releases. Heh.

IrishNinja

huh...time to check my launch-day SMRPG, i'm assuming it'll be the same!

ah man what got Chacranajxy banned? gonna have to check his post history, hope he's not gone for long. sad enough to lose BocoDragon for a month...

Cody_D165

Banned
Bit the bullet and bought a Secret of Mana cart for $40 at an anime convention today. (About retail price, but hey what can you expect.) Now I just need a 3rd SNES controller and a free weekend to hang with a couple of buds and play through this thing again :p

Bit the bullet and bought a Secret of Mana cart for $40 at an anime convention today. (About retail price, but hey what can you expect.) Now I just need a 3rd SNES controller and a free weekend to hang with a couple of buds and play through this thing again :p

I'm playing this one right now and I wish I had co-op buddies, lol. Babysitting the AI is hella frustrating.

Lettuce

Helpful for people buying second-hand stuff (or restoring their old collection):

how to clean yo shit

Not a great guide in all honesty.

All you need is an eraser (or rubber as we call them in the UK) just place the game PCB connectors on the edge of your desk and start rubbing the connectors with the eraser and it will take all the grim and discoloration off within seconds then just flip the game PCB over and repeat, then finish off with rubbing alcohol. Takes like 5 minutes max for each game, a lot easier than the guide above

Chucker

All you need is an eraser (or rubber as we call them in the UK) just place the game PCB connectors on the edge of your desk and start rubbing the connectors with the eraser and it will take all the grim and discoloration off within seconds then just flip the game PCB over and repeat, then finish off with rubbing alcohol. Takes like 5 minutes max for each game, a lot easier than the guide above

Yup, this is EXACTLY what I do. I've taken horrible non working games and made them spotless and wonderful in about 4-5 minutes a piece.

Both of those are more work then is required for like 95% of games. I just use the rubbing alcohol, no need to take apart the cart. That brings the vast majority of games back to working order since usually you're just dealing with the contacts being dirty and not actual corrosion.

On the rare occasion that's not enough, then I'll take the cart apart and do some heavier duty cleaning. I use metal cleaner like that video shows and have never failed to bring even the worst carts back. I go up and down with my qtips, not side to side trying to clean the whole thing at once like he does, though.

I'm sure the eraser method works just as well, but there's nothing wrong with the method shown in the video, either. And I'm sure some people just don't like the idea of brute force scrubbing shit away. Qtips seems more gentle to me.

I've had NES games work using the metal polish method after the eraser method was ineffective. It's certainly the best last resort to revising them.

Plus, don't ignore the cosmetic restoration tips!

goldenpp72

For those commenting, i don't believe any MM title was ever given a Majesco reprint outside of MMX, also, there is nothing funny about the box, in person it looks and feels like the same material as any other Snes title, though if I found out it was fake i'd lose my shit on the seller :p I don't think MM7 ever got a reprint at all actually, nor did X3 if I recall.

I took some other pictures of the boards on different games today but they turned out a bit dark, but I did also shoot my whole Snes MM set while I was at it.

All color manuals and such.

If your MMX has a color manual there is no way it's the Majesco reprint. The other possibility is the manual was donated from a copy of the original print run.

goldenpp72

Well, the back of my cart is also fully sticker label and such, I specifically avoid the majesco reprints just because they are inferior in my eye. Not that I look down on those who buy them or anything, just why go black and white/cheaper looking when you're collecting :p

oatmeal

Banned
Didn't know where else to post this...Found this haul on CL...$250 for everything:

3t43J23q65Kc5He5Jfd6m1715bceba2af1d4a.jpg

3E63Kd3tb5Gf5rb5M7d6mc317ff85d9811b5f.jpg

3r23t93L25L75N15q8d6m07bce1e0f62e1c87.jpg

3re3t13sa5r55s25F3d6m7ace09f86d441e8a.jpg

NES:
Super Mario Bros 3

Super NES:
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 1
Mortal Kombat 3
PGA Golf Tour
Vegas Stakes
Paper Boy
Madden 95
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
NBA Live 96
Ken Griffey JR. Presents Major League Baseball

NES 64:
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Mario Party
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Donkey Kong 64
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Quake 2
WF no mercy
Super 64 Mario
Pokemon Stadium
Turok Seeds of Evil
Golden Eye 007
The world is not Enough 007
1080 Snowboarding

GameCube:
The Legends of Zelda Collectors addition (wrong case for it)

Nintendo Game Boy:
Mysterium $

Playstation:
MLB 2000 $

Playstation 2:
Defender $

XBOX:
Quantum RedShift $

Controllers:
N64 Orange
Super Nintendo

Game Consoles:
SNES
NES 64 Orange

Should I go for it?

IrishNinja

^kinda tricky..how much of that stuff do you actually want/would you keep and not just sell back? there's some good stuff in there no doubt, but i'm not seeing $250 worth personally. if you go for it, i'd lowball at like $180-200 and see how firm he is, myself. good luck man!

i did manage one successful project today: on the advice from this thread, took out the board from my Secret of Mana, then:

1) scrubbed pins with eraser
2) applied metal polish to a q-tip (holy crap there was like 4 or 5 of them dirty after the whole thing was done, this stuff really gets in there)
3) q-tip with alcohol
4) dry q-tip
5) closed it back up

and bam, works like a charm! even has my data on it...well, i'm guessing it's mine, the MC is Rand i think? usually i go with my name, but all 3 are maxed out like i remember, so i'm assuming that's the default and i stuck with it on a replay, heh. forgot how much i loved that OST.

Yeah lol those filthy pins make me worried how exposing my lose carts. Thinking about ordering those plastic pin covers that used to come with new games.

Jhriad

Should I go for it?

In my opinion, hell no. A good percentage of those games are junk you can find practically anywhere and they're probably not something you're looking for anyway. Unless you REALLY want some of those games the price isn't great.

Grief.exe

I'm definitely getting some braso after that video sixteen-bit posted.

I was just using coffee filters and q-tips like I do when cleaning my CPU, but now I'm sold on the metal cleaner.

I looked online to find the proper mixture for retrobrite but I'm finding a ton of differing mixtures. What's retro gafs experience with retrobrite and which one is the best and easiest mix?

I looked online to find the proper mixture for retrobrite but I'm finding a ton of differing mixtures. What's retro gafs experience with retrobrite and which one is the best and easiest mix?

I used the simplest one I found. Just Walmart bought normal hydrogen peroxide and some oxiclean. Let it sit in good sunlight for a couple days, done.

Results:

fBajVsc.jpg

Picked this up today at a local game shop, I paid pretty much the going rate but it was nice that I could inspect in myself in person. I also open it to verify it was legit, 'cause I get a little nervous on the pricier carts.

demons_crest.jpg

Top Bottom