• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I used the simplest one I found. Just Walmart bought normal hydrogen peroxide and some oxiclean. Let it sit in good sunlight for a couple days, done.

Results:

fBajVsc.jpg

Might try this with my yellow-ass SFC lol

Just went to town on a few of my games with some contact cleaner. (Earthbound and Turtles in Time in particular have been giving me trouble booting up recently... pretty sure dirty contacts might have been the culprit for my EB save data corrupting.)

Man, it really does work well. Both games boot up without a hitch now, when it would usually take 4-5 tries to get them to boot before.

oatmeal

Banned
In my opinion, hell no. A good percentage of those games are junk you can find practically anywhere and they're probably not something you're looking for anyway. Unless you REALLY want some of those games the price isn't great.

Thanks. I may grab the Zelda collectors edition. I have 4 already.

Peagles

I asked here before but I don't think I got a response. Anyone have some advice on what I should be spending on Chrono Trigger? I want to get it complete and in pretty good nick. I got $160 back from Ouya so will put that towards it.

I've put a thingy in BST a few times but no hits yet. I have seen a few go on eBay for around that price though which I liked the condition of. I'd really rather deal privately though, gaf is so awesome for trades!

I asked here before but I don't think I got a response. Anyone have some advice on what I should be spending on Chrono Trigger? I want to get it complete and in pretty good nick. I got $160 back from Ouya so will put that towards it.

I've put a thingy in BST a few times but no hits yet. I have seen a few go on eBay for around that price though which I liked the condition of. I'd really rather deal privately though, gaf is so awesome for trades!

Did you hit this guy up?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64866661&postcount=11488

Peagles

Mmm I did see that, but the box is pretty beat up and seems like the maps will be too, if they can even find them. I'd rather spend a bit more and get a good condition one (since this will be my only chance to buy it, I may as well get a nice one to last me forever). Otherwise I'd totally jump on that + Turtles hehe. Not sure if we can use Amazon Payments in NZ either. I should look into that.

D-e-f-

Banned

5 years ago or so I paid about $80 (incl. international shipping) for a complete in-box copy, I believe.

omgkitty

Finally got a copy of Earthbound, and I noticed the actual game board itself looks really yellowish brown. I didn't take it out of the cart, but this is from what I could see on the bottom where the contacts are. Is this normal? My copy of Super Mario World doesn't seem to look as dark as this does. It plays fine with no noticeable issues, and I cleaned it out with rubbing alcohol, which got a decent amount of black stuff on the q-tip, but other than that it looks the same. Anything I should be worried about?

Pfft! Who needs an Xbox One when you have a SNES?!

I'm still getting one, though...eventually.

Anyway, I just got it in the mail today. It's missing the Killer Cuts CD, but oh well.

I got the players guide there when I was a member of Nintendo Power back in the '90s...I just never got around to getting the game, for some reason. Probably my parents. Heh.

Grief.exe

I don't want to get too excited because last time I posted about a good Craigslist pickup it fell through, that was Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town.

But I am headed out tomorrow morning to pick up Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island for $30 from a guy.

Can't wait.

Yesterday I was perusing the retro game section of Half-Price Books (they have one now in my town's store, apparently), and they had a copy of Mega Man X2 there for $70. That's usually the BIN price on eBay. Got a little grime on it that can easily be removed with a q-tip, but the label itself is in great condition.

I don't know if I should keep it. I've always wanted to have a sort-of-expensive game to add to my humble collection but I have 7 days to return it. I know I wasn't ripped off per se, but what do you think GAF? Should I keep it?

Cody_D165

Banned
Yesterday I was perusing the retro game section of Half-Price Books (they have one now in my town's store, apparently), and they had a copy of Mega Man X2 there for $70. That's usually the BIN price on eBay. Got a little grime on it that can easily be removed with a q-tip, but the label itself is in great condition.

I don't know if I should keep it. I've always wanted to have a sort-of-expensive game to add to my humble collection but I have 7 days to return it. I know I wasn't ripped off per se, but what do you think GAF? Should I keep it?

Hey, that's a pretty solid price. Not the best deal or anything but you can't win 'em all.

This way you avoid shipping costs/wait time and get a fantastic game out of it to boot.

Hey, that's a pretty solid price. Not the best deal or anything but you can't win 'em all.

This way you avoid shipping costs/wait time and get a fantastic game out of it to boot.

Yeah the game is pretty sweet :p

I do like that I got to see the actual cart in person I was buying. That's always nice over buying online where you have to go on pictures, plus the time waiting for shipping.

The real strong peroxide can burn your skin, but the OTC stuff won't hurt anything.

This. A lot of the recipes call for higher concentration hydrogen peroxide (which is dangerous), but there is no need.

Fill up a plastic tub with enough over the counter hydrogen peroxide to cover the entire piece of plastic, throw in a bit of oxiclean (I think it was like 1/2 a tsp, can't remember, not much), let it sit in sun light for an afternoon or two, done.

No danger at all.

D-e-f-

Banned
Wow. I don't think that'll be the case now ...T_T
I think I'm gonna have to spend about $200, it looks like... Unless one comes up on gaf in good nick.

Yea that was right before the DS-port got announced. I also bought the guide along with the game for like $50 lol. Once I got the DS-version I sold my SNES copy but kept the guide :)

Grief.exe

Added two new games to my collection today from a Craigslist find. Got both for $30. I also got some brasso and cleaned the majority of my carts, I totally vouch for that stuff.

6FS5vLn.jpg

While I was cleaning, I noticed that my Actraiser cart is shaped differently, why is this?

ao9NRaj.png

EDIT: Found the answer

The original model 1 SNES had a plastic lock piece that slid into the slot on the game cartridge and held it in when the power turned on. Children were pulling on it and breaking that plastic piece so nintendo started marking shells that looked like the second one. That way the cartridge could be pulled out without breaking the plastic lock.

omgkitty

I just bought a bag of Super Nintendo games from a guy at work for $26. It includes:

Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
F-Zero
Super Mario Kart

It also has a system with no cables and a bunch of other games. I feel like I got a good deal :D

Grief.exe

I just bought a bag of Super Nintendo games from a guy at work for $26. It includes:

Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
F-Zero
Super Mario Kart

It also has a system with no cables and a bunch of other games. I feel like I got a good deal :D

Ya you did.

Really nice pick up, enjoy the awesome games.

omgkitty

Ya you did.

Really nice pick up, enjoy the awesome games.

Yeah the only issue is the games are dirty. Like, they look like they have dirt on them. I've been using rubbing alcohol for the contacts, but what about the carts themselves? Any recommendations?

Grief.exe

Yeah the only issue is the games are dirty. Like, they look like they have dirt on them. I've been using rubbing alcohol for the contacts, but what about the carts themselves? Any recommendations?

Goo Gone works wonders, just keep it away from the labels. I learned that lesson the hard way with my Donkey Kong Country 2 cart :(. I removed stickers from other labels without a problem, but for some reason it stripped the color right away from that cart.

You will need to get tools to take apart the carts and remove the circuit board, then you can wash the carts more effectively under running water. I'm sure they are quite dirty inside as well.

Pick up some Brasso from your local hardware store. put some on Q-tips and clean the contacts. You will be surprised how much grime comes off.

Mr. Clean magic eraser works well, just be careful and keep in mind it's basically fine grit sandpaper. If you like the textured finish of the SNES carts, overdoing it on the magic eraser will leave them glossy and smooth, as if you sanded them down. Also, some pretty good cleaning tips here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8BLZ4YoPwI

Grief.exe

I was cleaning my new pickups of Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island this last weekend.

Since I got the Brasso I decided to clean up some of my older games as well. I picked up FFIII (VI) off of Ebay about 10 years ago and this was my first time opening it up.

It was horrible.

I think someone spilled soda on the cart, it was stuck together and I had trouble getting it apart. luckily, the coke didn't get to the circuit board.

Grief.exe

Any advice on printing out game covers for the universal game cases?

I noticed that the prints end up at 7x11.22 which is a little larger than 8.5x11 standard paper.

Do I get them printed on the larger letter head?

I also noticed that there were two different image types. The Updated one looks really good.

Retail
4TYGHth.jpg

Updated
WAQfCPU.jpg

Any advice on printing out game covers for the universal game cases?

I noticed that the prints end up at 7x11.22 which is a little larger than 8.5x11 standard paper.

Do I get them printed on the larger letter head?

I also noticed that there were two different image types. The Updated one looks really good.

I believe 8.5x14 works, though you'll have to cut off the edges.

The custom design looks nice, but I prefer the regular one. Sure, it's not the actual box, but it looks just as nice!

Linkhero1

I miss this thread, though, it pains me whenever it's bumped because it's a constant reminder that I still have a handful of games I have yet to buy.

Seik

Banned
I used the simplest one I found. Just Walmart bought normal hydrogen peroxide and some oxiclean. Let it sit in good sunlight for a couple days, done.

Results:

fBajVsc.jpg

Brilliant.

I thought that the guy at flea market repainted it 6 years ago when I bought mine, I thought that yellow shit was permanent, good to know!

Grief.exe

I fixed up some of the boxes, all of the games published by Nintendo just say 'Sold By' on the front cover.

I hate the 'Sold By' from the template anyways, leaving it there by itself looks even worse. I cut out the Nintendo Logo and photoshopped it in.

All told I have 12 SNES covers and 17 GB/GBC/GBA covers to print tomorrow...

Before
WAQfCPU.jpg

After
aEfdSzJ.jpg
2NLjKar.jpg

omgkitty

So I'm sure this is a very common question, but after cleaning some of the games I got today, is it possible to get them in a condition where they just work every time I put them in the system? I've spent a lot of time taking them out and putting them back in the system and jostling them around just to get the games to turn on. I cleaned all of them and none of them have anything discernibly wrong with them, but they don't always work when I plop them in and turn the system on. Of course I'm glad I got all the ones I cared about working, it's just frustrating spending a good 2 or 3 minutes to get them working.

Grief.exe

So I'm sure this is a very common question, but after cleaning some of the games I got today, is it possible to get them in a condition where they just work every time I put them in the system? I've spent a lot of time taking them out and putting them back in the system and jostling them around just to get the games to turn on. I cleaned all of them and none of them have anything discernibly wrong with them, but they don't always work when I plop them in and turn the system on. Of course I'm glad I got all the ones I cared about working, it's just frustrating spending a good 2 or 3 minutes to get them working.

Did you use Braso on them?

You may need to clean your console as well.

Grief.exe

What kind of HDTV do you have? SNES games look great on my 42 inch Panasonic Viera

Unless you have constrained the image to 4:3 or run them through an upscaler, they probably look objectively bad.

The image is stretched out massively to get to the 1080p resolution, has nothing to do with what TV you have.

Take a picture of games running on your TV and show us.

Grief.exe

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. Don't have an upscaler sadly.

I wasn't asking for you to post pictures, I know what you are talking about. I was requesting pictures from LinkHero1.

I don't have the benefit of a CRT, I just set my LCD to only display 4:3 while I play SNES. Its not perfect, but it works decently. Significantly better than the TV stretching the image to 1080p.

Chucker

What kind of HDTV do you have? SNES games look great on my 42 inch Panasonic Viera

I have a new model 47in Viera and they look like rotten ass on my set. Compared to my CRT that is. My old LG had S-Video in and that looked ok, but still nothing like my CRT.

Linkhero1

I'll take pics when I can. My TV is older model of the Viera. It only goes up to 1080i. I'm sure it looks tons better on CRT but it's at least playable on mine with S-Video.

Top Bottom