• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

I don't have the benefit of a CRT, I just set my LCD to only display 4:3 while I play SNES. Its not perfect, but it works decently. Significantly better than the TV stretching the image to 1080p.

Yeah I don't stretch it either. Looks ugly stretched. I assume you're using s-video as well.

Any advice on printing out game covers for the universal game cases?

I noticed that the prints end up at 7x11.22 which is a little larger than 8.5x11 standard paper.

Do I get them printed on the larger letter head?

I also noticed that there were two different image types. The Updated one looks really good.

I do them at Staples, legal paper size, make sure to tell them no re-sizing, ask them to cut all four sides. Make sure to say no re-sizing every time. I didn't one time and when I got home I discovered they had stretched them out. Fucking sucked.

I've never been told no at my local Staples, but there was one girl who was going to say no until the usual guy walked over and told her to do it. So, guess it really depends on the person.

Grief.exe

Yeah I don't stretch it either. Looks ugly stretched. I assume you're using s-video as well.

Then you probably have it set to display in 4:3

I do them at Staples, legal paper size, make sure to tell them no re-sizing, ask them to cut all four sides. Make sure to say no re-sizing every time. I didn't one time and when I got home I discovered they had stretched them out. Fucking sucked.

I've never been told no at my local Staples, but there was one girl who was going to say no until the usual guy walked over and told her to do it. So, guess it really depends on the person.

That's my current plan, so excited.

omgkitty

Just forced my television to 4:3 and it looks a lot better except for the big gray bars on either side of the image. Not sure why they couldn't be black.

Grief.exe

Just forced my television to 4:3 and it looks a lot better except for the big gray bars on either side of the image. Not sure why they couldn't be black.

Mine are black, you learn to ignore it since it looks so much better.

Temporary solution until I can graduate and buy an XRGB.

I actually hope they come out with a better one by then that will support higher resolutions.

inner-G

Banned
Mine are black, you learn to ignore it since it looks so much better.

Temporary solution until I can graduate and buy an XRGB.

I actually hope they come out with a better one by then that will support higher resolutions.
An XRGB won't get rid of the black bars...

Grief.exe

An XRGB won't get rid of the black bars...

You wouldn't have to set it to 4:3 mode....

iQy0CX1aqq8KL.gif

IrishNinja

ya'll lost me

1) grief is right, metal polish/etc fixes all that ales your carts
2) XRGB + plasma = awesome, cant imagine why you'd use it on an HDTV and set to 4:3 tho, kinda defeats the purpose id think

Grief.exe

ya'll lost me

2) XRGB + plasma = awesome, cant imagine why you'd use it on an HDTV and set to 4:3 tho, kinda defeats the purpose id think

If you are referring to the situation with an XRGB + HDTV then yes, there would be no reason to set it to 4:3.

If you are referring to just an HDTV without the XRGB, its because 4:3 is the natural aspect ratio of the SNES and doesn't stretch the image to 16:9.

IrishNinja

If you are referring to the situation with an XRGB + HDTV then yes, there would be no reason to set it to 4:3.

If you are referring to just an HDTV without the XRGB, its because 4:3 is the natural aspect ratio of the SNES and doesn't stretch the image to 16:9.

the former, and yeah agreed on both counts

Shining

55" HDTV with XRGB-Mini, yes. The TV is set to "native" or 1:1 pixelmapping, and the Mini is set to 4:3 which is the correct aspect ratio for the games. Or am i missing something? :)

Shining

No, wait, i need to understand this lol. You prefer the image streched (with the mini) over 4:3?

Oh nevermind. I guess it all depends on how close you sit to your TV etc :)

Peagles

Phew, won a pretty decent shape CIB Chrono Trigger for $150. Thanks Ouya refund!

And now for the long wait, dern international shipping...

IrishNinja

this sucks, i went back to NintendoAge to check on jjrepro (great seller that Hero of the Day put me onto, did import SNES repros for like $25 each), looks like some asshole/likely salty competitor reported them to paypal and the operation's shut down for the moment...really is an ugly side to the scene.

was hoping to swing Clock Tower for halloween too, maybe later...hope they get it sorted though, really was an excellent service at a great price

No, wait, i need to understand this lol. You prefer the image streched (with the mini) over 4:3?

Oh nevermind. I guess it all depends on how close you sit to your TV etc :)

haha i sit too close but my vision sucks, so yeah
what's funny is replaying some SNES classics that i used to play on a tiny CRT that came from a hotel & was crazy dark on the contrast but without a remote to work it couldn't be changed (and no universal i tried did the trick), so picture the image on that with a daisy-chain of RF's hanging out the back...life is good these days

Reclaimer

ya'll lost me

Are you guys really using an XRGB to distort the aspect ratio to fill a 16:9 TV? Different strokes and all, but that's borderline offensive in my book. :)

Shining

this sucks, i went back to NintendoAge to check on jjrepro (great seller that Hero of the Day put me onto, did import SNES repros for like $25 each), looks like some asshole/likely salty competitor reported them to paypal and the operation's shut down for the moment...really is an ugly side to the scene.

was hoping to swing Clock Tower for halloween too, maybe later...hope they get it sorted though, really was an excellent service at a great price
DANG, that really sucks. I never ordered from the guy but i know people are satisfied with his work (and prices). Cheapest around, eh?

Are you guys really using an XRGB to distort the aspect ratio to fill a 16:9 TV? Different strokes and all, but that's borderline offensive in my book. :)
Phew, then i'm not alone :)

I got a 1CHIP-03 SNES revision coming in today or tomorrow. Excite!

Chucker

haha i sit too close but my vision sucks, so yeah
what's funny is replaying some SNES classics that i used to play on a tiny CRT that came from a hotel & was crazy dark on the contrast but without a remote to work it couldn't be changed (and no universal i tried did the trick), so picture the image on that with a daisy-chain of RF's hanging out the back...life is good these days

Yeah man, I'm MAD. I was ready to send off my FFIV/V SFC carts to him.

dgco86

Since this is a thread for game collectors, I was just curious about your collecting habits. I seem to be pretty inconsistent in terms of preference.

My definition of complete varies from game to game. For games like the DKC series, I'm perfectly happy with just the box, manual and cartridge.

On the other hand, there are special cases where I feel an urge to get one with ALL the paperwork in unused condition, particularly if it comes with a Nintendo Power advertisement that is unique to the game.

For example I'm personally a bit annoyed that my copy of LTTP is missing the Nintendo Power pamphlet that says "I brought light to the dark world!" and I'd seriously consider shelling out for that if it pops up.

Another time, I had this inexplicable urge to get a complete copy of Demon's Crest with the Capcom Warranty Card. I eventually got it, but I do recall passing on a few decent deals because of that silly piece of paper (and it wasn't even a special warranty card like the one that comes with Breath of Fire).

Am I the only one with these weirdly inconsistent habits? How do you cope with them? I find myself passing on quite a few decent deals because of various missing things only to end up paying through the nose to get one in the degree of "completeness" that I desire.

Also I really shouldn't be feeding this weird obsession but are there any places that have a definitive list of all paperwork/inserts that were included with vintage games?

Since this is a thread for game collectors, I was just curious about your collecting habits. I seem to be pretty inconsistent in terms of preference.

My definition of complete varies from game to game. For games like the DKC series, I'm perfectly happy with just the box, manual and cartridge.

On the other hand, there are special cases where I feel an urge to get one with ALL the paperwork in unused condition, particularly if it comes with a Nintendo Power advertisement that is unique to the game.

For example I'm personally a bit annoyed that my copy of LTTP is missing the Nintendo Power pamphlet that says "I brought light to the dark world!" and I'd seriously consider shelling out for that if it pops up.

Another time, I had this inexplicable urge to get a complete copy of Demon's Crest with the Capcom Warranty Card. I eventually got it, but I do recall passing on a few decent deals because of that silly piece of paper (and it wasn't even a special warranty card like the one that comes with Breath of Fire).

Am I the only one with these weirdly inconsistent habits? How do you cope with them? I find myself passing on quite a few decent deals because of various missing things only to end up paying through the nose to get one in the degree of "completeness" that I desire.

Also I really shouldn't be feeding this weird obsession but are there any places that have a definitive list of all paperwork/inserts that were included with vintage games?

Yeah, when I first started buying Saturn games I needed the spine card and registration cards for everything but now I don't sweat it unless it's some game I really care about.

Shining

When it comes to RPG's/adventure games i'm extremely anal about pamphlets, registration cards etc. My copies of Super Metroid, ALttP, FF3, Chrono Trigger and Lufia II are 100% complete. Otherwise i don't really care. The overall condition of box, cart and manual are more important.

IrishNinja

nah, bruh. if i wanted 4:3 idve picked up a high quality CRT; screen's wide for a reason. i wanted it lookin decent on said screen, so i upscaled it! that's my take.

DANG, that really sucks. I never ordered from the guy but i know people are satisfied with his work (and prices). Cheapest around, eh?

Phew, then i'm not alone :)

I got a 1CHIP-03 SNES revision coming in today or tomorrow. Excite!

yeah seriously, labels & everything down to turnaround time were great. such a loss.

what does that revision do?

Yeah man, I'm MAD. I was ready to send off my FFIV/V SFC carts to him.

holy crap that sucks...well from the thread he indicated he's actively seeking other method of payment, just that he might be done with NA. i'd PM and find out!

nah, bruh. if i wanted 4:3 idve picked up a high quality CRT; screen's wide for a reason. i wanted it lookin decent on said screen, so i upscaled it! that's my take.
So you opt for this...

16_9_with_4_3_stretch.jpg

...over this?

16_9_with_4_3_pillar.jpg

Because the second one's what it's supposed to look like on the televisions these games were designed for. I'd say the positive of playing at the correct aspect ratio trumps the negative of not using part of the screen.

Jhriad

Yeah, saw this the other day. Really unfortunate given that I've got 16 donor carts sitting here now. So many useless Madden/NBA Live/College Slam carts.

Grief.exe

All I need is the game, but then again I'm a poor college student.
I'm willing to wait and scour Craigslist for deals and willing to compromise on whether its CIB.

Its funny, because I kept every so Glen one of my manuals and boxes for all of my games as a kid.
I still have all my boxes for my N64, GB, and GBA games.

Only problem is my mom made me sell my SNES and games before I got an N64, so I lost out on all my games and boxes.

I use S-Video and I have the screen stretched. I can't stand having huge black bars on the side of the screen, even if it is the correct aspect ratio.

D-e-f-

Banned
So you opt for this...

16_9_with_4_3_stretch.jpg

...over this?

16_9_with_4_3_pillar.jpg

Because the second one's what it's supposed to look like on the televisions these games were designed for. I'd say the positive of playing at the correct aspect ratio trumps the negative of not using part of the screen.

I still don't get how anyone could prefer to play it stretched just because it fills out the screen. It's not like you see more. You make it actively look worse for no good reason.

DoubleTap

I sometimes stretch some of my games, especially on a handheld or small screen. It's akin to zooming but without cropping anything. If my TV is big enough I'll go 4:3. Just my preference.

IrishNinja

^that, and again as i said prior, my vision (particularly at night) isn't always the best, so i've my reasons, though i do appreciate some elements of GAF can give me shit over a personal decision, it's about the dumbest thing i've encountered here since opposition to retro carts & the guys who fuss that i tear the tabs off genesis cart boxes. regretting i indulged the topic, and appreciating people letting it the fuck go.

been watching clan of the wolf roo 16bit gems lately

Drago

Make that paypuh!
I would never sell Earthbound!

However, I did find out today that my copies of Mega Man 7 and X3 (friend gave them to me a few years ago) are worth quite a pretty penny nowadays ($~120+ each). That was a cool surprise, and now there's a temptation to sell them. :p I'll probably just keep them around though, I'm sure I'd regret it if I sold them and there's no digital release of either anyways, for some reason.

GulAtiCa

heh, yeah the Mega Man games are all expensive. Except for Mega Man X for some reason. Perhaps their were just that many of them?

jbueno

Pfft! Who needs an Xbox One when you have a SNES?!

I'm still getting one, though...eventually.

Anyway, I just got it in the mail today. It's missing the Killer Cuts CD, but oh well.

I got the players guide there when I was a member of Nintendo Power back in the '90s...I just never got around to getting the game, for some reason. Probably my parents. Heh.

That pic... It warms my heart.

Grief.exe

heh, yeah the Mega Man games are all expensive. Except for Mega Man X for some reason. Perhaps their were just that many of them?

Great thread on Mega Man X today. Here is a post detailing why X2 and X3 are so rare

To expand as well, X2 and X3 were actually really expensive to manufacture (and thus a high risk sale). Not many stores picked up copies of the game... this was mostly due to the Cx4 chip inside both games. The Cx4 handled enhanced sprite position/rotation/transformation effects as well as wireframe 3D effects (as seen in a few sub bosses).

The cart was at a premium price at launch... couple that with being late in the SNES life cycle, being more expensive than other games, and that's why the game was in short supply and so costly now. I think there may also have been a higher rate of failure with carts because of the cx4 chip, but don't quote me on that.

(edit) Also, on the subject of the X collection... either it, or the mega man 25th anniversary collection had really shitty non-changeable controls (literally mapping the same buttons to the SNES equivalents, even though the GCN's buttons were not lined up the same) so the PS2 version will probably do you better.

X Collection on GameCube has fully remappable controls, just like the original SNES games do. Koji's thinking of Anniversary Collection.

Shining

what does that revision do?
The picture quality differs quite a bit between different SNES board revisions. The 1CHIP 01-03 has the sharpest and cleanest picture of all the revisions and the difference is even more visible when using an XRGB. Here are two pics i took comparing a launch SNES(SHVC-CPU-01) and a 1CHIP SNES (SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01) hooked up to the XRGB:

SHVC-CPU-01

1CHIP-01

Notice how blurry the SHVC-CPU-01 looks in comparison. The 1CHIP-01 got slightly more noise going on in the picture on one colored backgrounds, but i'd take that over a blurry picture any day. I'm excited to see if the 1CHIP-03 can improve anything over the 1CHIP-01. More info: http://www.retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html

IrishNinja

^wow, had no idea...gonna look into your link! the later models with the sticker on them, that dont yellow out...do they have a better chance of being that chip?

The picture quality differs quite a bit between different SNES board revisions. The 1CHIP 01-03 has the sharpest and cleanest picture of all the revisions and the difference is even more visible when using an XRGB. Here are two pics i took comparing a launch SNES(SHVC-CPU-01) and a 1CHIP SNES (SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01) hooked up to the XRGB:

SHVC-CPU-01

1CHIP-01

Notice how blurry the SHVC-CPU-01 looks in comparison. The 1CHIP-01 got slightly more noise going on in the picture on one colored backgrounds, but i'd take that over a blurry picture any day. I'm excited to see if the 1CHIP-03 can improve anything over the 1CHIP-01. More info: http://www.retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html
The more you know. Cool info.

Parallacs

Great thread on Mega Man X today. Here is a post detailing why X2 and X3 are so rare

That probably explains why X2 and X3 typically have garbage labels. Most of the eBay copies are probably from rental stores, like Blockbuster.

I got X2 and X3 this past year. I had to play through X2 twice (due to being stupid and not collecting the zero parts). I got kinda burned out of the series and haven't played X3. It will be a good December game.

Top Bottom