• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Pengew

Finally found a great SNES with no yellowing or cracks. The actual board was not working but I just wanted it to swap with my old yellow bastard. Had to make a few adjustments to the plastic inside the casing. It was a newer model and my other was a original model.

Is there a way to remove the plastic from the AV ports with out damaging anything? The broken one is much nicer and i was thinking of swapping that too but it seemed as though it was stuck in place.

9204868626_53579b62a7_b.jpg

Zing

Banned
The weird thing is that they barely even used the wireframe effect in X2 and X3. There was no need for it. I think someone at Capcom just wanted to have a special chip and the programmers had to squeeze it in. I read something from one of the programmers saying he was instructed to use the chip as much as possible. Other than the title screen, I think it's used twice in each game. That is, unless the chip is used for helping with other effects of which I am not aware.

I haven't been able to bring myself to finish X3. I have this problem with all of the games. I enjoy going through the regular levels, discovering the hidden items and optimal order, then I reach the final level and lose the urge to finish. I've tried X3 a few times now, but keep dying right at the start when you have to climb up between the crushing walls.

Grief.exe

hhmmmm my SNES Universal Game Case covers didn't print out correctly.

They are way too big. I think the guy resized the image to fit the page.

My Game Boy and Game Boy Advance covers printed out perfectly. I'll go back in tomorrow, hopefully they will do the replacements for free.

The weird thing is that they barely even used the wireframe effect in X2 and X3. There was no need for it. I think someone at Capcom just wanted to have a special chip and the programmers had to squeeze it in. I read something from one of the programmers saying he was instructed to use the chip as much as possible. Other than the title screen, I think it's used twice in each game. That is, unless the chip is used for helping with other effects of which I am not aware.

I haven't been able to bring myself to finish X3. I have this problem with all of the games. I enjoy going through the regular levels, discovering the hidden items and optimal order, then I reach the final level and lose the urge to finish. I've tried X3 a few times now, but keep dying right at the start when you have to climb up between the crushing walls.

That's really frustrating considering how that had a direct effect on the sales and made the game very difficult to obtain.

Zing

Banned
I finished off X3 tonight, and, as expected, they only used the wireframe for the last 20 seconds of the game and it was completely unnecessary.

The final boss was also the usual, fairly difficult to figure out, but once you know the pattern, it is easy. Having four full sub tanks doesn't hurt.

The ending is a little bizarre. It will be interesting to see if they follow through on their prediction in the next two games.

Finally found a great SNES with no yellowing or cracks. The actual board was not working but I just wanted it to swap with my old yellow bastard. Had to make a few adjustments to the plastic inside the casing. It was a newer model and my other was a original model.

Is there a way to remove the plastic from the AV ports with out damaging anything? The broken one is much nicer and i was thinking of swapping that too but it seemed as though it was stuck in place.

Why not swap the shells instead?

Pengew

Why not swap the shells instead?

That was actually what I did. It's just that on the working SNES the av ports are yellowed and the plastic in the ac adapter port is broken. On the broken board everything is near perfect.

Speaking of the broken SNES. Has anyone had a problem with the video being warped and scrolling. That seems to be the issue with the board but I am not sure what the problem is.

I finished off X3 tonight, and, as expected, they only used the wireframe for the last 20 seconds of the game and it was completely unnecessary

It's also used for the small sequences when you get a weapon from a boss. Still kind of unnecessary, but neat.

However, if I recall correctly, the Cx4 chip was also used to help out with sprite processing. X2 and X3 (The SNES version, anyway) have noticeably smaller instances of slowdown when compared to X1; that's thanks to the Cx4.

I have seen the promised land. Holy fuck. Saw this listing on Craigslist, guy has done this some previous weekends. Went to check it out today.

This dude in his mid sixties, wife recently died, they used to go to garage sales all the time which is how he built his collection. Wasn't selling a ton of interesting stuff, but it was all decently priced, and there was tons. Got a few NES, SNES, and 64 games, he was giving everyone discounts. Got $20 worth of stuff, he let me take it for $15.

Took a peak inside his garage as I was paying, holy shit. Shelves upon shelves filling every inch of the garage with everything you could imagine. Must have been damn near complete SNES collection with instructions, some boxes. He told me it was just a small piece of his collection, and the hundreds of stuff for sale was just his doubles. I seriously can't even describe how much stuff I saw, games and hardware. It reignited my desire for sure.

tornjaw

I have seen the promised land. Holy fuck. Saw this listing on Craigslist, guy has done this some previous weekends. Went to check it out today.

This dude in his mid sixties, wife recently died, they used to go to garage sales all the time which is how he built his collection. Wasn't selling a ton of interesting stuff, but it was all decently priced, and there was tons. Got a few NES, SNES, and 64 games, he was giving everyone discounts. Got $20 worth of stuff, he let me take it for $15.

Took a peak inside his garage as I was paying, holy shit. Shelves upon shelves filling every inch of the garage with everything you could imagine. Must have been damn near complete SNES collection with instructions, some boxes. He told me it was just a small piece of his collection, and the hundreds of stuff for sale was just his doubles. I seriously can't even describe how much stuff I saw, games and hardware. It reignited my desire for sure.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're from Champaign?

HaL64

Yup this guy has an amazing collection. He is basically the local "reseller". I don't think he actually stopped collecting things to resell. Because he has stuff out there he didn't have the last time he told me "I'm just selling my doubles". He is having sales a lot more frequently now though.
Nothing like paying 50% off ebay prices. I think all of his good SNES stuff is gone. Lots of good NES stuff left though. Some guy bought a complete in box N64 for $40 while I was there. I should have grabbed it.

Yup this guy has an amazing collection. He is basically the local "reseller". I don't think he actually stopped collecting things to resell. Because he has stuff out there he didn't have the last time he told me "I'm just selling my doubles". He is having sales a lot more frequently now though.
Nothing like paying 50% off ebay prices. I think all of his good SNES stuff is gone. Lots of good NES stuff left though. Some guy bought a complete in box N64 for $40 while I was there. I should have grabbed it.

Yeah, there was an employee there from some local re-sale shop that had a giant box stuffed with things, flat-out said they closed the store today to come stock up from this guy. So, yeah, I figure the vultures have already torn through there a couple of times.

He said he'd be back out again for city-wide garage sale day with more stuff than he has out there now, and was offering people his email address. I wasn't sure if he was up for offers on his personal collection. I thought about offering him something for Mega Man Soccer since I'm on the hunt for that game, but I only had $40 on me any way.

You're from the area, too?

I have some friends that live in Tolono. I used to live in a small town called Allerton about 35 miles from Urbana.

There is at least one other person from the area in this thread as well. Pretty crazy there are so many of us around, and that we all gravitate towards SNES games.

Teknoman

So...finally made it to the final dungeon in Brainlord... I think im on the last section...

ibeZ5NCdg9Qiq7.jpg

I have to navigate this entire section in PITCH BLACK DARKNESS.

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

Teknoman

I know Brain Lord is a SNES game, but that looks like an Atari 2600 title.

Lol yeah, game has one useful map...

Edit: And done. Pretty decent game. Excellent soundtrack and some really brainbending puzzles. Dungeons were a little bland imo, but th soundtrack and triumph of solving the puzzles keeps you going. Story seemed kind of rushed though, and the final boss was underwhelming.

If anyone else feels like checking it out, i wuldnt pay too much...but do yourself a favor and look up the soundtrack. Personally id like to find some more games by the composer.

Ah no wonder. http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?profile=composer&selected=90

Also did the soundtrack for assault suits valken/cybernator. Definitely going to have to check out nosferatu and burning heroes now.

Michan

I thought finding Earthbound for ~$100 and Mega Man X2 + X3 for < $60 was pretty awesome, but I doubt I can top what you're about to read...

This guy was selling his SNES, 2 controllers, and 4 games. Wanted $20 for the lot!

Yellow, but the pads are nice and clean.

A nice haul, and in great shape...

Mario World, Super R-Type, Thunder Spiri-- HOLY SHIT!

Aero Fighters!

With a perfect label and pins that make the game look like it's never been played!

The most valuable retail SNES title (outside of the Exertainment fitness cart) ..in a lot sold for $20!

$20!!

I think I need to go lie down.

Congrats on the find. If it were me I'd just flip in and buy Sonic Wings Special on Saturn for a similar game experience lol.

Edit: Aero Fighters is one of the most expensive SNES games and Aero Fighters 3 is possibly most expensive Neo Geo game (Sold for $30,000).

dat Psykyo touch.

Congrats! I consider getting Aero Fighters for $5 a few years ago to be one of my best gaming-related finds in the wild, so I feel you.

Linkhero1

Shit. I keep forgetting to take pics while I'm at home. I'll do it soon, maybe, hopefully. :p

Edit: Just saw Aero Fighters...jaw has been dropped. Congrats!

Very nice. Where/when did you find it? Care to elaborate?

I worked at a small mom 'n' pop video game chain when I was in undergrad and we had some pretty legit prices on a lot of retro titles, mainly because the whole store was run by a family and, considering the amount of work they had to do with new games sales and current gen stuff, they hadn't really spent the time updating their older prices based on the recent retro booms. Earthbound for $100, Suikoden II for $60, MUSHA for $15, stuff like that. Of course, trade-in values for these games were way below eBay prices, so most typical video game stores wouldn't be able to get any stock. Luckily, each of the stores in this chain were in locations where they were the only video game retail around (yes, it's hard to believe, there are somehow still places without a Gamestop). Aero Fighters was listed at $50 in our system.

However, we also had a policy where if we took in cart only classic stuff in really bad shape (damaged labels, marker, broken plastic, etc.), we'd only give $1 in trade credit AND we'd sell it for a flat $4.99. One morning around Christmas, I was putting out the trades we had taken in the previous day and I nearly had a heart attack, there it was: Aero Fighters. Turns out that the guy working the night before (he had no clue the game was too hard to find to begin with) took it in as damaged because the back label was torn. As soon as I got off my shift, I bought that sucker and replaced the back shell.

It happened more often than you'd think, too. Another coworker of mine got an NES Bonk's Adventure for the same price during that same holiday season. Granted, his copy had some noticeable front label damage, but it was still a fantastic find.

no BS question for you guys.

Earthbound. At $150, worth it?

I am going through Chrono Trigger (loving it) and then FF3. Just beat FF2/IV a few months back (really loved it).

no BS question for you guys.

Earthbound. At $150, worth it?

I am going through Chrono Trigger (loving it) and then FF3. Just beat FF2/IV a few months back (really loved it).

Seems like a fair price. I'd buy it if it's in nice condition. Earthbound has defintely dropped in value since the Wii U Virtual Console announcement, could have easily spent at least $50 more before.

smbu2000

The picture quality differs quite a bit between different SNES board revisions. The 1CHIP 01-03 has the sharpest and cleanest picture of all the revisions and the difference is even more visible when using an XRGB. Here are two pics i took comparing a launch SNES(SHVC-CPU-01) and a 1CHIP SNES (SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01) hooked up to the XRGB:

SHVC-CPU-01

1CHIP-01

Notice how blurry the SHVC-CPU-01 looks in comparison. The 1CHIP-01 got slightly more noise going on in the picture on one colored backgrounds, but i'd take that over a blurry picture any day. I'm excited to see if the 1CHIP-03 can improve anything over the 1CHIP-01. More info: http://www.retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html
There's more than one 1CHIP version? How do the other ones compare to the SNES/SFC mini? That is supposed to be the best looking although you need to mod it to use S-video/RGB.

I have a 1CHIP-01 SFC that I've been using as my main system, that I picked up for 100 yen. I also have a SNES mini that I still need to mod.

Bar81

Aero Fighters 3 is possibly most expensive Neo Geo game (Sold for $30,000).

dat Psykyo touch.

It's not, it was a conversion of the JP cart and part of a huge scam. There is no such thing as AES Aero Fighters 3. I think the most expensive cart remains Euro Kizuna Encounter or Euro Ultimate 11.

A few more SNES games came in the mail for the collection rebuild. SFA2 is a real accomplishment on the SNES. More underrated fighter on the system:

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well I just won an Ebay auction for Mega Man X2 for $67.50 not too bad a price (a little under the average on Pricecharting). I kinda half heartidly went for it. I didn't think my bid would hold, but somehow it did.

Yasawas

How concerned should I be about the batteries in my old carts potentially leaking and ruining them, any recommended guides to replace them if so?

How concerned should I be about the batteries in my old carts potentially leaking and ruining them, any recommended guides to replace them if so?

I've never seen a leaking battery in a game. I've had maybe five dead batteries between NES/SNES that had to be replaced, but never anything close to leaking.

Yasawas

Sweet, thanks guys. I might give that guide a go on one I'm less fond of just to see what it's like, and then I'll have the tools available for a time I do need them.

I find it pathetically amazing that the batteries in all my SFC games still work when I remember all too well the one in my MegaDrive NHL95 died a couple of years after purchase when I was halfway through a season. Fuck you EA and you weak-ass batteries.

linkboy

Sweet, thanks guys. I might give that guide a go on one I'm less fond of just to see what it's like, and then I'll have the tools available for a time I do need them.

I find it pathetically amazing that the batteries in all my SFC games still work when I remember all too well the one in my MegaDrive NHL95 died a couple of years after purchase when I was halfway through a season. Fuck you EA and you weak-ass batteries.

My copy of Link to the Past is still going strong.

And I saw this for sale on a Facebook virtual yard sale thing

Someone is asking $120 for a SNES with Mario World, Pilotwings, Lagoon, two Super Advantage joysticks.

That just seems way to high to me.

Shining

There's more than one 1CHIP version? How do the other ones compare to the SNES/SFC mini? That is supposed to be the best looking although you need to mod it to use S-video/RGB.

I have a 1CHIP-01 SFC that I've been using as my main system, that I picked up for 100 yen. I also have a SNES mini that I still need to mod.
Yep, there is 1CHIP-01, 02 and 03. From what i have read they are supposed to be identical in terms of image quality. So i got my 03 and compared it to my 01 and and the image quality sure is identical BUT, the white vertical bar/line that can be seen in the middle of the screen on dark backgrounds on the 01's is gone on the 03! Conclusion: Those who are are looking for a 1CHIP revision should go for a 1CHIP-02/03.

Haven't seen a RGB modded SNES mini but yes, they are supposed to have the sharpest image. A guy over at shmups.com compared a 1CHIP and a RGB mini and to him the mini looked too sharp: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=865727

So after a couple weeks of trying to hunt down a Sony WEGA for a not insane price, I finally got a 32" yesterday:

Pretty beautiful (much better in person than my shitty picture). I got it for $40, which I was pleased enough with as I wanted my old TV gone due to the screen fucking up.

Downside, someone just offered me a free 36". So I guess I'm going to go pick it up, and just put the 32" in my closet as a backup. This thing was so heavy, I can't imagine how bad the 36" is going to be.

Garryk

So after a couple weeks of trying to hunt down a Sony WEGA for a not insane price, I finally got a 32" yesterday:

Pretty beautiful (much better in person than my shitty picture). I got it for $40, which I was pleased enough with as I wanted my old TV gone due to the screen fucking up.

Downside, someone just offered me a free 36". So I guess I'm going to go pick it up, and just put the 32" in my closet as a backup. This thing was so heavy, I can't imagine how bad the 36" is going to be.

I had this exact TV in 36". I moved three times while I owned it and it sucked every time. It weighs about 225 lbs and it's all in the front.

Top Bottom