• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

So after a couple weeks of trying to hunt down a Sony WEGA for a not insane price, I finally got a 32" yesterday:

Pretty beautiful (much better in person than my shitty picture). I got it for $40, which I was pleased enough with as I wanted my old TV gone due to the screen fucking up.

Downside, someone just offered me a free 36". So I guess I'm going to go pick it up, and just put the 32" in my closet as a backup. This thing was so heavy, I can't imagine how bad the 36" is going to be.

lol maybe I should start stockpiling CRTs too.

I had this exact TV in 36". I moved three times while I owned it and it sucked every time. It weighs about 225 lbs and it's all in the front.

Yeah, that's how the 32" is also, just all weight in the front. I don't know how much it weighed, but it was pretty much at the max of what I think my brother and I could carry, so hopefully the 36" isn't much more. Maybe I can get a dolly so we only have to lift it in and out of the truck, and onto the entertainment center. We just carried the 32 the whole way.

We'll see how it goes. This guy has been super slow about responding, which is why I gave up and just bought one from someone else.

Sat down and beat Breath of Fire for the first time in god knows how long. Went out of my way to get that second secret Chun-Li cameo that was only recently discovered, too. (You have to equip a weapon from very early in the game before the final boss fight, and trigger the game's good ending. She'll show up during the game's ending sequence.)

Now to track down Breath of Fire II...

Going to New York City next month, any retro game stores worth hitting up?

There's not many, but there's Video Games New York in East Village near Cooper Union. Pretty much wall to wall games in the place, but the prices can be stupidly high sometimes. Great, helpful staff though, and chances are you'll probably leave the place with something.

Kurtofan

Is it safe to buy SNES carts from Amazon uk? I'm buying DKC3 and even though the page says "Pal version" the seller doesn't say anything about that.

Today I picked up a copy of DKC1, and I noticed something curious. This version of the print has a DK Jungle background in the label border instead of the usual black border:

i9OWTKs5JmZTP.JPG

Is this a console bundle version or something? Are these worth less than the regular black border version? I got it for $15 at a Half-Price and can return it no problem.

My old boxed copy of the game that I bought when it came out is like that, too:

Even the box and instruction manual are like that:

I don't think there's a black border version at all. I can't find any pictures that don't have the jungle background, but there are some pictures where it doesn't show up well. You might just not have noticed it before.

My old boxed copy of the game that I bought when it came out is like that, too:

Even the box and instruction manual are like that:

I don't think there's a black border version at all. I can't find any pictures that don't have the jungle background, but there are some pictures where it doesn't show up well. You might just not have noticed it before.

Neat. I don't have to worry about a return then, thanks!

Chucker

Met a dude just outside of Washington, DC. Had a CL ad saying he had a must see collection, so I bit.

Came home with this for $50
5ZDeOwul.jpg

He had multiples of most titles (But that was his only CT, which is a bummer, but w/e). He gave me a good price because I wasn't a reseller, and we had small kids etc. After digging through bin after bin (he had at least 15 sealed Bad Fur Days), he asked what my most expensive game I had was, so I told him Earthbound, probably. He comes out with Donkey Kong Country Competition and we go at it for a few rounds. Dude was awesome, I told him I'd def. be back for sure.

Met a dude just outside of Washington, DC. Had a CL ad saying he had a must see collection, so I bit.

Came home with this for $50
5ZDeOwul.jpg

He had multiples of most titles (But that was his only CT, which is a bummer, but w/e). He gave me a good price because I wasn't a reseller, and we had small kids etc. After digging through bin after bin (he had at least 15 sealed Bad Fur Days), he asked what my most expensive game I had was, so I told him Earthbound, probably. He comes out with Donkey Kong Country Competition and we go at it for a few rounds. Dude was awesome, I told him I'd def. be back for sure.

lol great price MM goes for that alone these days

nesboy43

Banned
So after a couple weeks of trying to hunt down a Sony WEGA for a not insane price, I finally got a 32" yesterday:

Pretty beautiful (much better in person than my shitty picture). I got it for $40, which I was pleased enough with as I wanted my old TV gone due to the screen fucking up.

Downside, someone just offered me a free 36". So I guess I'm going to go pick it up, and just put the 32" in my closet as a backup. This thing was so heavy, I can't imagine how bad the 36" is going to be.

My brother in law has a WEGA, amazing looking TV but I've had to help him move it twice, both up a flight of stairs, this thing is so heavy it is insane. I'm using a 19" Trinitron myself. If he ever wanted to get rid of the WEGA I'd take it in an instant cause it's such a great TV.

Teknoman

Someone posted these forever ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Batteries...g_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item1e7b246b38

Awesome shit since they are made to fit right back in where the old battery came out instead of having to do any trickery like you would buying a normal battery.

Wonder if everyone should just buy some of these to have on hand for the future.

eBay photo (or, the BEFORE shot, lol)

And the after shot, not sure if the photo actually does it justice how bad it looks :(

I blame USPS / postal services in general. They almost smashed my Breath of Fire II pretty good trying to fit into the mailbox...instead of coming to the door.

Peagles

I blame USPS / postal services in general. They almost smashed my Breath of Fire II pretty good trying to fit into the mailbox...instead of coming to the door.

Yeh. It's just as bad here in New Zealand to be honest, but when you pay that much it's really gutting to have it turn up like that.

Ima pour out a 40oz.

:(

I think I'll do the same... I'm not going to email the seller tonight, don't want to be too rash.

Shining

Doh my Super Metroid doesn't save anymore :( Probably the battery.

Someone posted these forever ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Batteries...g_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item1e7b246b38

Awesome shit since they are made to fit right back in where the old battery came out instead of having to do any trickery like you would buying a normal battery.
Or you could buy a cheap soldering kit and install a battery socket. Next time the battery dies you'll just pop a new one in there and you're good to go. I have done this to a number of carts and before doing this i had never soldered anything in my entire life. It's pretty easy. Instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Replacing-a-CR2032-snes-cart-battery/#step1

Chucker

I think I'll do the same... I'm not going to email the seller tonight, don't want to be too rash.

I don't even know that I'd do that. It's not like he did it on purpose from the looks of it.

In other news, I finally jumped on the Brasso hype train and holy crap does it work well!

Zing

Banned

I had that model in 32" size. It was also pretty much the limit for my friend and I, going up and down stairs. The 32" weighs 170 lbs. The 36" is 220 lbs, so bring two friends.

That is a decent price. I bought two of them three years ago, and paid $100 and $80 respectively, although I also got the matching Sony stand. I sold one before I moved last year, and the other earlier this year when I upgraded to a better model. Although this time, I went for a 27" to save weight and space, and also in hopes of minimizing geometry errors.

It looks like you need to turn your contrast down. I can see the distortion in the white lines (e.g. X's health meter and in the dialog box). From my experience with both sets I had, you would need contrast far down, around 60% to minimize the distortion. You won't be able to get rid of it, though. Like most TVs, the power supply isn't big enough to actually drive the tube at a normal level. Also, the display may seem too dim when set correctly, but you will get used to it.

Peagles

I don't even know that I'd do that. It's not like he did it on purpose from the looks of it

No no it was damaged in transit. If I sold a game for $150 I'd definitely package it in a way that would mean it could withstand a lot of handling through, but maybe that's just because I'm kinda poor and I know for me something getting damaged like that means likely not being able to replace it...

Has anyone else had this happen in eBay? What did you do?

D-e-f-

Banned
No no it was damaged in transit. If I sold a game for $150 I'd definitely package it in a way that would mean it could withstand a lot of handling through, but maybe that's just because I'm kinda poor and I know for me something getting damaged like that means likely not being able to replace it...

At the very least let the seller know that he didn't package it well for future reference. He might even offer to refund you a little bit of the money if he happens to be extra-nice. At least tell him so the next buyer might get a better protected package.

Careful when buying internationally from eBay. Shady shit can happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwZgcoc_zw

File a complaint directly through eBay because the item was not received as described.

Peagles

At the very least let the seller know that he didn't package it well for future reference. He might even offer to refund you a little bit of the money if he happens to be extra-nice. At least tell him so the next buyer might get a better protected package.

I just send a sort of nice message now. Hopefully they respond nicely.

Careful when buying internationally from eBay. Shady shit can happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwZgcoc_zw

File a complaint directly through eBay because the item was not received as described.

I guess this is my Plan B if they don't respond nicely then. Worth a try at least.

Here's how it was shipped by the way, packed with the green plastic bags, and wrapped in the white plastic bag. I feel like other times stuff has been damaged I've been accused of being a weirdo in how I expect stuff to be shipped though lol. If I was sending it myself it'd be with at least 3 layers of bubble wrap!

Oh well, WTB good condition box for Chrono Trigger lol.
Actually I'm serious, this is going to piss me off to no end if I keep this box in my collection.

I had that model in 32" size. It was also pretty much the limit for my friend and I, going up and down stairs. The 32" weighs 170 lbs. The 36" is 220 lbs, so bring two friends.

That is a decent price. I bought two of them three years ago, and paid $100 and $80 respectively, although I also got the matching Sony stand. I sold one before I moved last year, and the other earlier this year when I upgraded to a better model. Although this time, I went for a 27" to save weight and space, and also in hopes of minimizing geometry errors.

It looks like you need to turn your contrast down. I can see the distortion in the white lines (e.g. X's health meter and in the dialog box). From my experience with both sets I had, you would need contrast far down, around 60% to minimize the distortion. You won't be able to get rid of it, though. Like most TVs, the power supply isn't big enough to actually drive the tube at a normal level. Also, the display may seem too dim when set correctly, but you will get used to it.

Yeah, I hadn't messed with any settings when I took that picture. But, I just got off the phone with the guy giving away he 36", going to go pick it up tomorrow. It has the stand with it as well. I hope it's actually 36", since the person I picked this one up from had it listed as that also because apparently there are people in the world who don't know you only measure the screen when you are listing a TV's size.

Either way, I'll be happy to have a second one for a backup and the actual stand. I don't think my current entertainment center really likes the weight, so it'll be nice to have something that was made to hold it.

Zing

Banned

I would ask for a partial refund. It can't hurt. If you get really annoyed and don't mind shipping it back on your own dime, file a not as described claim with PayPal.

Teknoman

They should have put the game in the priority box, then put that box into a bubble wrapped envelope. That way there would have at least been double layers. Defend against postal carrier that have the bad habit of bashing boxes into small mailboxes. Sometimes they'll deliver things to your door, but if you get the wrong carrier that day...hope you dont get several packages.

But then again I bubble wrap "Free to a good home GAF" stuff so yeah.

The 36" beast has safely arrived:

Took three of us, and even then it was pretty shaky at times. Never again. It'll suck to not be able to play lightgun games, but when this beast dies, it's time for an XRGB. Hopefully it lasts a good long time, though.

Went ahead and put the 32" WEGA in the bedroom.

Also got a new bookshelf a couple days ago:

My collection looks all tiny now that it all fits on one shelf. Gonna have to do something about that.

Teknoman

I should get a bookshelf...got a little bit of paranoia that if on the off chance someone broke into our house, they would take the stuff on display.

Then again maybe thieves wouldnt know the value of retro?

Olly88

Can the Japanese version of Demon's Crest (Blazon) be played without knowing Japanese? I know there's some dialogue between the characters but I'm not sure how important it is.

Also, does anyone know if it can be played on a PAL SNES with a Datel Universal Pro adapter? I've heard it has problems with some but I don't know about that one.

baphomet

Got my SNES scart cable today. Seeing my consoles in RGB on my Sony PVM is the most beautiful goddamn thing I've ever seen. It's amazing.

IrishNinja

Got my SNES scart cable today. Seeing my consoles in RGB on my Sony PVM is the most beautiful goddamn thing I've ever seen. It's amazing.

congrats! for me, and maybe cause i played the crap out of it, but LTTP's colors were just so crisp the first time i saw it that way

Magicant

Banned
What I'm on the lookout for:

Breath of Fire (just the box and all inserts, maps, etc.)
Breath of Fire II (just the inserts)
Contra III
Final Fantasy III
Secret of Mana
Super Castlevania IV (can't believe I even sold that one)
Super Mario RPG

Pipe Dreams:
Clock Tower (Super Famicom)
Terranigma

Geod

Neo Member
The 36" beast has safely arrived:

Took three of us, and even then it was pretty shaky at times. Never again. It'll suck to not be able to play lightgun games, but when this beast dies, it's time for an XRGB. Hopefully it lasts a good long time, though.

Went ahead and put the 32" WEGA in the bedroom.

Also got a new bookshelf a couple days ago:

My collection looks all tiny now that it all fits on one shelf. Gonna have to do something about that.

What brand shelf is that and where did you get it? I really need something to replace the crappy shelving I have.

What brand shelf is that and where did you get it? I really need something to replace the crappy shelving I have.

It's this.

It's really pretty cheaply made, doesn't seem like it would survive a lot of moving. But, once put together and put in place, it looks nice enough. I couldn't find anything bigger or nicer really.

Peagles

I would ask for a partial refund. It can't hurt. If you get really annoyed and don't mind shipping it back on your own dime, file a not as described claim with PayPal.

They got back to me and asked for photos, so I sent a few. If they give a partial refund I'll put it towards replacing the box. Can't really be bothered shipping back, is that compulsory with a Paypal claim? Hopefully it doesn't get that far.

Top Bottom