• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Chucker

I hate hate hate when Flea Market people think that their store is an eBay front. You want to get that much money for it, put it on there and pray.

Case in point, this dude last weekend wanted $25 for TMNT3, which on a good day(for the seller) is something I've seen. Went home and bought 1 and 3 for $18 shipped.

lupin23rd

Can the Japanese version of Demon's Crest (Blazon) be played without knowing Japanese? I know there's some dialogue between the characters but I'm not sure how important it is.

Also, does anyone know if it can be played on a PAL SNES with a Datel Universal Pro adapter? I've heard it has problems with some but I don't know about that one.

Don't know the answer to either question, but I'd be curious to know if it's playable without a lot of Japanese (although I know enough to get by).

Curious though if you were able to find the game at a decent price? When I was in Japan for six months I saw one copy, and I think it must have been new / sealed because it was something like $120+ boxed. I never saw a cart-only or used-in-box version, which I would have immediately bought :(

IrishNinja

I hate hate hate when Flea Market people think that their store is an eBay front. You want to get that much money for it, put it on there and pray.

Case in point, this dude last weekend wanted $25 for TMNT3, which on a good day(for the seller) is something I've seen. Went home and bought 1 and 3 for $18 shipped.

always a missed sale from me - i paid a few bucks too much for some NES stuff at a con cause i was there/saved on shipping etc but its even spread to craigslist, dudes asking $100 for an SNES with SMW, mario paint (no mouse) and another really common game. the retro reseller scene is fucking shit right up for those of us that just wanna have & play some classic shit.

Don't know the answer to either question, but I'd be curious to know if it's playable without a lot of Japanese (although I know enough to get by).

Curious though if you were able to find the game at a decent price? When I was in Japan for six months I saw one copy, and I think it must have been new / sealed because it was something like $120+ boxed. I never saw a cart-only or used-in-box version, which I would have immediately bought :(

New SFC games actually never came factory sealed, so if it was shrinkwrapped , that's something the seller must have added.

baphomet

always a missed sale from me - i paid a few bucks too much for some NES stuff at a con cause i was there/saved on shipping etc but its even spread to craigslist, dudes asking $100 for an SNES with SMW, mario paint (no mouse) and another really common game. the retro reseller scene is fucking shit right up for those of us that just wanna have & play some classic shit.

There's a dude on Craigslist in my area selling an n64 and 3-4 games, a ps2 and a few games, 2 nes games, and a gameboy advance with 2-3 games. His price is $700 firm, lol.

Bar81

New SFC games actually never came factory sealed, so if it was shrinkwrapped , that's something the seller must have added.

Japanese merchants have some type of weird fetish with what I call condom wrapping all games. It's particularly silly with stuff like Mega Drive and Super Famicom games that were never sealed new, but it hits the all time wtf when they're doing this for games where the plastic wrapping is worth more than the game. Welcome to Japan.

Hit up the local flea market today and get super lucky on a bunch of SNES games. 20 tapes for $30, some real great games in there too. A little dirty but nothing that can't be cleaned off.

Zing

Banned
Bubsy and Bubsy II has a negative value, so that really cost him more than $30. :D

But seriously, even the teenage me knew to return Bubsy after a few days. I had bought it from Kmart, where they accepted open software returns, thankfully.

I've always wanted to try Tinstar.

Fox Mulder

It's just something you have to deal with and walk away.

There's a pawn shop near me with a box of overpriced snes games that have sat there since I started collecting. I offered to buy the whole box at a discount, but the guy said it's all worth like $500 dollars. I laughed and left.

Kurtofan

Bubsy and Bubsy II has a negative value, so that really cost him more than $30. :D

But seriously, even the teenage me knew to return Bubsy after a few days. I had bought it from Kmart, where they accepted open software returns, thankfully.

I've always wanted to try Tinstar.

Bubsy was my first Super Nintendo game along with Jimmy Connors Tennis, it's not so bad.

Fox Mulder

there's worse games to have in a collection than bubsy.

The games are shitty, but friends will probably remember the name when they see it on a shelf. It can be a little interesting to go back and play such a shitty, product of its era, board room designed character platformer game now. The snes music is good and so are the cartoony animations.

IrishNinja

CoachKevin made a killing today, congrats man! flea market ive been to out here doesnt go further back then PS2 sports games sadly

Olly88

Haven't seen any good deals yet, just would like to know if I have the SFC version as an option without needing continually be sad at the £300+ PAL prices :(

Was at a car boot sale (flea market) today and saw a guy with a huge dedicated games stall. Saw Nightfire on the PS2 for £12.50(!!). Didn't even bother looking around.

Well, I am really getting into SNES and Genesis collecting (just got a 32x with wiring for 25$) and was wondering how to store all of the cartridge based games and systems?

Is there any type of custom made shelf for cartridge games?

Also, what are the best SNES games to have, so far I have the following:
DKC 1-3
Super Game Boy
Super Mario World
Kirby Super Star
Super Mario Kart
Super Empire Strikes Back
Mortal Kombat
Genghis Khan Clan of the Grey Wolf

I am planning to buy in the very near future:
Yoshi Island
Star Fox
F-Zero
Street Fighter 2
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars Return of the Jedi

Sorry to keep rambling, but is the Star Fox 2 Reproduction cart worth getting, it seems like an interesting buy?

Olly88

Also, what are the best SNES games to have, so far I have the following:
DKC 1-3
Super Game Boy
Super Mario World
Kirby Super Star
Super Mario Kart
Super Empire Strikes Back
Mortal Kombat
Genghis Khan Clan of the Grey Wolf

I am planning to buy in the very near future:
Yoshi Island
Star Fox
F-Zero
Street Fighter 2
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars Return of the Jedi

You need;

Super Castlevania IV
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana

Other games I recommend;

ActRaiser
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Skyblazer
Mega Man X
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
The Lost Vikings
The Addams Family (and if you like that and want more Addams Family goodness, then get Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt)
Out To Lunch

I can recommend more but that's enough to start with :)

Olly88

I love it, it's one of my favourites. I really like Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt too, though I've still never beaten the final level.

Kurtofan

I love it, it's one of my favourites. I really like Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt too, though I've still never beaten the final level.

That game was so hard. I love Bathtub level though.

Anyone have Mr Nutz? This game was pretty tough as well, no password or save, played it the other day.

Yeah, pretty amusing. Looking at his other auctions, all of his games are like this; $15 starting bid or $150 buy it now. Seeing Madden 95 with a $150 price tag is amusing.

espher

It's just something you have to deal with and walk away.

There's a pawn shop near me with a box of overpriced snes games that have sat there since I started collecting. I offered to buy the whole box at a discount, but the guy said it's all worth like $500 dollars. I laughed and left.

The one flea market here has three tables that are dedicated game trader/sellers, and nobody else that sells games. It's less of a flea market and more of a regular market as it's always the same vendors anyway. I've haggled to get a few things for what I would consider fair value but every time I ask about a price they all pull out phones and start looking at recent completed auctions and offer me a median price point. No, I will not pay $50-70 for PS1 RPGs that I can get cheaper elsewhere.

The pawn shop here, in stark contrast, has prices that I would consider more than fair (though I did pay on the high end for some NES complete-in-box Dragon Warrior titles, everything else has been at a great value perspective and they cut me deals all the time).

-TK-

Just bought these 100% complete Snes games:

z9GBuKW.jpg

King Arthur's world is a hidden gem. So good.

Finally have my copies of earthbound and ogre battle in-hand!!!

I was living in a different province at the time so I had to get my brother and his gf to drive out to the middle of nowhere to get them. He says the guy selling them looked like Hurley from lost and was "clearly on drugs", but $160 for both was too good a deal for me to pass up!

Finally have my copies of earthbound and ogre battle in-hand!!!

I was living in a different province at the time so I had to get my brother and his gf to drive out to the middle of nowhere to get them. He says the guy selling them looked like Hurley from lost and was "clearly on drugs", but $160 for both was too good a deal for me to pass up!
That's about as much as I paid for Earthbound alone, so I'd say you got a good deal.

(Although my figure was ~150USD, and given your use of "province", I'm assuming that's 160CAD...)

Bubsy was my first Super Nintendo game along with Jimmy Connors Tennis, it's not so bad.

I always liked Bubsy...we grew to love it since it was one of the few videogames we had as kids since neither of my parents were big on videogames. I liked the sequel as well but I'm glad we didn't get any other games of Bubsy. He needs to stay in the 90's

Bog

Junior Ace

When I asked a guy working at a thrift shop why his copy of Kirby Superstar was marked at average eBay value, he told me "well we basically are eBay, right?"

Dirtbags.

When I asked a guy working at a thrift shop why his copy of Kirby Superstar was marked at average eBay value, he told me "well we basically are eBay, right?"

Dirtbags.

Thrift stores seem to be getting worse and worse when it comes to pricing stuff...even when it comes to just clothes.

IrishNinja

some good finds! never even saw the MMX3 box before, nice

uummmm here is a couple emails I just got

iG1923XMenva0.png

haha wow...ive sort've had the opposite, emailed/texted people and theyve replied, then taken days to get back on a meetup time & place really vaguely. i end up just looking elsewhere...but yeah this guy would've been a handful if you'dve met up i bet, heh

IrishNinja

i hope he takes pics of him burning the carts and mails it like ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FIND A STRANGER IN THE ALPS

Peagles

I just send a sort of nice message now. Hopefully they respond nicely.

I guess this is my Plan B if they don't respond nicely then. Worth a try at least.

Here's how it was shipped by the way, packed with the green plastic bags, and wrapped in the white plastic bag. I feel like other times stuff has been damaged I've been accused of being a weirdo in how I expect stuff to be shipped though lol. If I was sending it myself it'd be with at least 3 layers of bubble wrap!

Oh well, WTB good condition box for Chrono Trigger lol.
Actually I'm serious, this is going to piss me off to no end if I keep this box in my collection.

They seem nice enough but it's been a few days since I suggested a partial refund, and no reply. How long should I wait before I open a case?

Damn, that's Zelda poster is ace. That depicts one of my absolute favorite moments in all of video games - Link pulling the master sword from the stone and the fog lifting from the lost woods. Nice find.

there's worse games to have in a collection than bubsy.

The games are shitty, but friends will probably remember the name when they see it on a shelf. It can be a little interesting to go back and play such a shitty, product of its era, board room designed character platformer game now. The snes music is good and so are the cartoony animations.
Yep. That's exactly why a game like Bubsy is worth having in a collection. It's so indicative of the era.

They seem nice enough but it's been a few days since I suggested a partial refund, and no reply. How long should I wait before I open a case?

Now. All opening the case does is give them 10 days to respond. They can still respond and make it up to you allowing you to close the case and leave them positive feedback, if they're smart.

Top Bottom