• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Peagles

Now. All opening the case does is give them 10 days to respond. They can still respond and make it up to you allowing you to close the case and leave them positive feedback, if they're smart.

Thanks, does this matter though? I think it's just gone past 14 days now.

Seller's return policy for this item
This item must be returned within 14 days after the buyer receives it. The buyer pays for return shipping. The refund will be given as Money Back.

Thanks, does this matter though? I think it's just gone past 14 days now.

If he tries using that as an excuse, tell them you sent him a message on whatever date your first message was sent, and that he never responded. Ebay will have records off all of your email exchanges and will be able to see it's true.

Peagles

If he tries using that as an excuse, tell them you sent him a message on whatever date your first message was sent, and that he never responded. Ebay will have records off all of your email exchanges and will be able to see it's true.

Okay cool. I first sent one on July 11. They did respond a couple of times, but last one I got was July 13. I've opened a case now. I have to scoot off to work, but hopefully they'll respond soon.

Zing

Banned
The seller's return policy means nothing in "not as described" cases. File the claim. If the seller already hasn't responded to your messages, then don't waste more time and just immediately escalate it if you are committed to a return.

What are someof you guys' favorite SNES hidden gems?

I don't know how well known it is, but I had never heard of Skyblazer until this thread. I thought it was pretty awesome.

eBOmA8P.png

cR3DXuF.jpg

vbJ3vNk.jpg

How do digitial rereleases affect original cart prices?

Specifically, will Earthbound (SNES) drop in price now that Earthbound (VC) is a thing?
Hadn't it already dropped $50 or so from the $200s it was skirting before the announcement?

(...the $200s it was skirting when I bought a copy just before the announcement... ._.)

Grief.exe

How do digitial rereleases affect original cart prices?

Specifically, will Earthbound (SNES) drop in price now that Earthbound (VC) is a thing?

Because the demand will drop.

People who want to play the game, but their only option is a $200 SNES copy are now picking up the Wii U version instead of one off of ebay.

It sucks for anyone who has recently bought some of the most sought-after carts but I welcome any VC releases of these rare games so that prices come back in line with sanity.

Hadn't it already dropped $50 or so from the $200s it was skirting before the announcement?

(...the $200s it was skirting when I bought a copy just before the announcement... ._.)

Yeah, Earthbound has definitely dropped in value since the announcement. I was seeing copies go for around $250 fairly regularly on ebay. No you can get one for around $175, or better with a little patience.

Zing

Banned
There is a lot of speculation about Earthbound value. I suspect that anyone who "just wanted to play the game" would have already either bought the cart, or downloaded the ROM. You can essentially rent it for free by purchasing, then reselling. That's what I did last year, and I doubled my money.

People buying the cart are literally buying it to own the cart.

Yeah, Earthbound has definitely dropped in value since the announcement. I was seeing copies go for around $250 fairly regularly on ebay. No you can get one for around $175, or better with a little patience.

Would it be crazy to think it will be around $100 or possibly less by the end of the year?

I'm holding out hope for such a scenario. If it plummets that low, I'd certainly pick one up.

Looks like he treated his childhood like shit.

Would it be crazy to think it will be around $100 or possibly less by the end of the year?

I'm holding out hope for such a scenario. If it plummets that low, I'd certainly pick one up.

I really doubt it gets that low. But, we'll see.

Peagles

The seller's return policy means nothing in "not as described" cases. File the claim. If the seller already hasn't responded to your messages, then don't waste more time and just immediately escalate it if you are committed to a return.

My preference would be to keep it and just replace the box. They offered me $20 partial refund but I'm thinking of just escalating it and letting eBay decide.

Oh and they also felt it necessary to tell me all about their family having cancer and babies on the way and stuff as well, which I always seem to hear when any trade I do goes sour, so I'm feeling a little suspicious of them now too...

Thoughts?

Edit: I just sent a message accepting. Fingers crossed I can find a replacement box from somewhere (goes to re-post in BST thread).

Fox Mulder

There is a lot of speculation about Earthbound value. I suspect that anyone who "just wanted to play the game" would have already either bought the cart, or downloaded the ROM. You can essentially rent it for free by purchasing, then reselling. That's what I did last year, and I doubled my money.

People buying the cart are literally buying it to own the cart.

Yeah, I still want the cart regardless. Being a WiiU VC exclusive probably won't nuke the value like if they had included it for the wii or 3ds as well.

-Mikey-

I bought a Super Famicom and a dozen or so games. Surprised how much cheaper the games are than the SNES games. Hoping they will help boost my study of Japanese.

lsJQ4zr.jpg

IrishNinja

Prepare to spend massive amounts of ducets.

^this, oh god this.

nabbed Seiken Densetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon, Ranma, what looks like a Namco Yu Yu Hakushu (sp?) game and a Crayon Shinchan title for about $10, really wasnt expecting a stack of SFC titles at a garage sale. passed up mostly sports but a few i wish i could've looked up! ah well

I'd really advise against going solely for boxed titles. Just get complete versions of games you really want badly. Unless of course you're independently wealthy, then go for it.

Yasawas

I only buy complete SFC games and it's not too bad to be honest. The boxes are half of the appeal.

I have no idea what boxed SNES prices are like by comparison though, they might be crazy.

I'd really advise against going solely for boxed titles. Just get complete versions of games you really want badly. Unless of course you're independently wealthy, then go for it.

This, unless you got the cash to spare. Will end up spending more then the cost of a new game now on just carts of a bunch of the sought after/good games.

Hey guys, never owned a SNES, but kinda interested in starting a collection, and as a complete noob, I have some questions:

What's a good price for a used PAL SNES?
And the average price for game cartridges (just carts, no complete ones) would be how much?

Game systems are fairly cheap. I live in the US so I don't know what they go for in PAL-land exactly, but I'm pretty sure they're inexpensive over there as well. You can get a system for around...what...40 bucks? Average price of games is difficult as well. they vary so much. I can get a game like F-Zero for 13 bucks, or a copy of Earthbound for 450. Rpg's tend to be more expensive, though. Sports games costs pennies.

But you should read through this thread on deals people have gotten. It's actually very interesting.

NyMartin

Banned
Does anyone here have a problem with a yellow line on the tv screen when playing their snes? I get it on my Samsung LCD TV, its a big vertical yellow line. Any way to fix it?

Also I wanted to say that I'm glad I found this thread. Been gaming since I was really young and this made me go back and dig up my old games, I'm now searching on ebay for the boxes of all my game cartridges just to preserve them.

The severity of the vertical line effect depends on your model of SNES and chipset I believe. It's an intrinsic issue with no true fix; just track down a better system.

Peagles

Hey guys, never owned a SNES, but kinda interested in starting a collection, and as a complete noob, I have some questions:

What's a good price for a used PAL SNES?
And the average price for game cartridges (just carts, no complete ones) would be how much?

Game systems are fairly cheap. I live in the US so I don't know what they go for in PAL-land exactly, but I'm pretty sure they're inexpensive over there as well. You can get a system for around...what...40 bucks? Average price of games is difficult as well. they vary so much. I can get a game like F-Zero for 13 bucks, or a copy of Earthbound for 450. Rpg's tend to be more expensive, though. Sports games costs pennies.

But you should read through this thread on deals people have gotten. It's actually very interesting.

My experience of living in a PAL-land (New Zealand) is that SNES (and older Nintendo stuff in general) is way expensive now because Sega dominated so badly here. You'd be lucky to get a console for under $100 NZD (say $80 USD?) and if you did it'd probably be without cables or anything and a nice tobacco yellow mmm! Even the crummiest cart only sports games have an asking price of $20 NZD +, and any decent games you can expect to pay $50 NZD +. It's a disgrace.

That's why I'm lucky I picked up a Super Famicom cheap here (nobody wanted it because it was Japanese) and some games for cheap too. Now I import the rest from eBay/GAF or buy the odd unwanted import here because PAL stuff is not only expensive but INFERIOR (50Hz bordered junk).

Added to that the whole retro game craze that seems to be happening now, ugh...
It's morning and I'm grumpy and had no sleep, but all of the above is true... :p

$40 sounds good. I found this deal where a guy sells his SNES with 4 games and a converter (which enables US/NTSC carts, something called a Super Game Key) for $165. That just seemed a little expensive at first to me.

The SNES is CIB with 2 controllers. It was a bundle with SMW included in the box.

The games are Top Gear, Super Mario World, Pilotwings and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

Should I bite? :)

What are people's opinion here on the ownership of SNES reproductions?

I mean reproductions of never localized games (in my case US), not reproductions of real games of course. I highly look down upon those and feel sorry for Earthbound Repro purchasers.

$40 sounds good. I found this deal where a guy sells his SNES with 4 games and a converter (which enables US/NTSC carts, something called a Super Game Key) for $165. That just seemed a little expensive at first to me.

The SNES is CIB with 2 controllers. It was a bundle with SMW included in the box.

The games are Top Gear, Super Mario World, Pilotwings and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

Seems kinda steep to me, but I'm more familiar with US prices than I am European ones.

I mean reproductions of never localized games (in my case US), not reproductions of real games of course. I highly look down upon those and feel sorry for Earthbound Repro purchasers.
I'm okay with it, although it's definitely a legal gray area, if not strictly illegal.

Although, donating an original JP cart and having the ROM replaced with a translated one, that's pretty nifty. I swear I've heard of people doing this with, say, Final Fantasy V, but I don't know who, specifically, would run such a service.

I'm mostly okay with repros, at least the ones for fan translated unlocalized games or unreleased stuff (Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2, Final Fantasy V, StarFox 2... stuff like that.)

Selling repros of otherwise obtainable stuff isn't cool, though. All you have to do is take one look at the online GBA market to see why.

Never released stuff is awesome.

Officially released stuff isn't a repro, it's a bootleg. And people should have their fingers broken for making and selling them.

Yasawas

That's £107 which seems on the high end of acceptable to me, depends how much you value those games I suppose as I could live without Mickey and Top Gear myself.

Bear in mind that converter won't work with absolutely everything either, I've never heard of that one but they're of varying quality and there are a handful of games that don't work on any as far as I'm aware. I bought a Super Famicom at about the same price purely to avoid the horrible PAL conversions of our youth but obviously that means all my games are illegible and I can't play any RPGs, you can widen the cart slot on those to play US games on it without issue though. It's a minefield!

Teknoman

Translations or reprogrammed rom hacks are fine by me.

If it was never released here in the US, I'm cool with it but otherwise...naaaaah.

That's £107 which seems on the high end of acceptable to me, depends how much you value those games I suppose as I could live without Mickey and Top Gear myself.

Bear in mind that converter won't work with absolutely everything either, I've never heard of that one but they're of varying quality and there are a handful of games that don't work on any as far as I'm aware. I bought a Super Famicom at about the same price purely to avoid the horrible PAL conversions of our youth but obviously that means all my games are illegible and I can't play any RPGs, you can widen the cart slot on those to play US games on it without issue though. It's a minefield!

Oh wow, good to know about those converters.

The problem I see with importing a console is that I then will probably be at the mercy of eBay resellers and their inflated prices for cartridges.

Yasawas

It might be different if you have a local source for SNES games (I don't so have to rely on eBay and other sites like http://www.genkivideogames.com/) but if you check completed listings on eBay on the whole Japanese games are about the same price as PAL ones*. They also tend to be in better condition as nobody who spent all that money importing them at the time was putting them anywhere near a child.

* one thing that did not occur to me was how many of the games I loved as a kid were Western, and therefore sold Ouyaesque numbers in Japan. Boxed copies of Doom and Flashback are probably my biggest extravagances at this stage, but even then they cost far less than a new game.

Top Bottom