• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh wow, good to know about those converters.

The problem I see with importing a console is that I then will probably be at the mercy of eBay resellers and their inflated prices for cartridges.

That might be offset by the fact that many SFC games are suspiciously cheap.

I imported a few Front Mission games complete in box last year for ~$15 - on eBay. These are Squaresoft games. What SNES games would you find complete in box here in North America for anywhere near that cheap? Certainly not Squaresoft games!

Also.... I have picked up quite a few Famicom and Super Famicom games here in Canada from local sources. Sometimes I wonder how they got here. And they were usually cheaper than domestic versions!

D-e-f-

Banned

I imported a few Front Mission games complete in box last year for ~$15 - on eBay. These are Squaresoft games. What SNES games would you find complete in box here in North America for anywhere near that cheap? Certainly not Squaresoft games!

Also very important to note: SFC games (esp boxes!) are usually in WAY better condition than SNES games and boxes. It's like kids in America and Europe used them as pillows every night or something... (if they kept them at all and didn't throw actual money in the trash)

It might be different if you have a local source for SNES games (I don't so have to rely on eBay and other sites like http://www.genkivideogames.com/) but if you check completed listings on eBay on the whole Japanese games are about the same price as PAL ones*. They also tend to be in better condition as nobody who spent all that money importing them at the time was putting them anywhere near a child.

* one thing that did not occur to me was how many of the games I loved as a kid were Western, and therefore sold Ouyaesque numbers in Japan. Boxed copies of Doom and Flashback are probably my biggest extravagances at this stage, but even then they cost far less than a new game.

Also.... I have picked up quite a few Famicom and Super Famicom games here in Canada from local sources. Sometimes I wonder how they got here. And they were usually cheaper than domestic versions!

Also very important to note: SFC games (esp boxes!) are usually in WAY better condition than SNES games and boxes. It's like kids in America and Europe used them as pillows every night or something... (if they kept them at all and didn't throw actual money in the trash)

(Trying this multiquote thing, and it works perfectly! :))

Thanks guys.

I may have been mislead by the stuff I'm actively collecting now (MSX cartridges). There seems to be little price difference between PAL and NTSC-J games there. And you kind of have to resort to eBay most of the time, whereas with SNES games I feel there might be other places I could still find them over here. Also, in my experience MSX cartridges prices are inflated on eBay. I've paid more per game on average for them than I do with my contemporary games.

But good to hear that that might not be the case with SNES games. I might have to look into getting a Super Famicom maybe.

I wonder how much that has to do with the JP SFC games using plastic inserts rather than crappy cardboard ones to secure the game?
The JP SFC boxes are a standardized size too, being the same dimensions as old VHS boxes, so stacking them and storing them was probably much more convenient.

Zing

Banned
Yes, if you can't find anything better or newer. That is slightly older than I would prefer. No actual photo of the TV is lazy. Unless the TV isn't too far away or you have confirmation that the tube wasn't overused, it may not even be worth the trip.

Here is the bare minimum model I would buy:
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/3923891077.html

Also, be sure to get one with the remote. You will eventually want to go into the service mode to fix geometry.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wonder how much that has to do with the JP SFC games using plastic inserts rather than crappy cardboard ones to secure the game?
The JP SFC boxes are a standardized size too, being the same dimensions as old VHS boxes, so stacking them and storing them was probably much more convenient.

Probably nothing. Used games in Japan are just, as a general rule, much better cared for.

Probably nothing. Used games in Japan are just, as a general rule, much better cared for.

Is that really true? I've never been to Japan, but if you venture outside of mainstream sites like eBay and Amazon, you'll find poorly cared-for, ashtray smelling, incomplete-without-box games all over, just like our domestic used market.

Pezking

I just bought the japanese versions of Final Fight 2 and Final Fight Tough together for $130, shipping from Japan To Germany included. Both games are complete with boxes and instructions. Not mint, but in pretty good shape.

I thought that is a pretty good price for these two games, especially for Tough. Would you agree?

If anyone has the Twisted Tale of Spike McFang or its SFC counterpart I'd love to trade for/buy it.

I have the US version in box with everything. Someone traded it in earlier this year along with a ton of other pristine games at my store.

Just thought I'd let you know, Im not interested in selling it

Isn't Final Fight Tough crazy hard to find in Japan? Nice pickup.

I really need to get Final Fight 2 & 3 one of these days. Maybe get the SFC version of Guy while I'm at it.

Pezking

Isn't Final Fight Tough crazy hard to find in Japan? Nice pickup.

Yeah, I thought so too when I saw the price. The lowest I saw a cib version go on ebay in the last months was also at $130 - but without Final Fight 2 and shipping not included!

This auction ended about a week ago.

I really need to get Final Fight 2 & 3 one of these days. Maybe get the SFC version of Guy while I'm at it.

Yeah, Guy is definitely also on my list.

beanman25

My brother found 2 SNES in the trash at his apartment complex when throwing his trash out. He brought them to me, and I was hoping to fix them to have spare ones around the house. They are the SNS-001 model and both turn on but have no video and the audio just buzzes upon power up.

Anyone know what can fix (if anything) this issue?

My brother found 2 SNES in the trash at his apartment complex when throwing his trash out. He brought them to me, and I was hoping to fix them to have spare ones around the house. They are the SNS-001 model and both turn on but have no video and the audio just buzzes upon power up.

Anyone know what can fix (if anything) this issue?

Sounds like a faulty AC Adapter, if my experience with a similar problem is anything to go by.

beanman25

Sounds like a faulty AC Adapter, if my experience with a similar problem is anything to go by.

You were right! 1 of them was wrapped in an AC adapter. That one caused the buzzing.

Plugged in my own Ac adapter and both worked!

I just need to get a couple of AC adapters now. hah.

Someone on here told me Killen Games in Springfield IL sucked forever ago. Finally went there, and you weren't lying. Overpriced garbage. Disc Replay here sucks too, so it seems there's nowhere good to buy old games here.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well this last week I've been experementing with Retrobright. I retrobrighted my orignal SNES and it looks almost new. This SNES is another one I own which I will eventually sell. I left it in the Peroxide for a 2nd day because it was pretty bad and the difference is pretty big, though not 100% perfect. I used about $6.50 of 3% peroxide and some oxyclean and left it out in the sun. Works fairly well.

Before:

After:

IrishNinja

wow, yeah that looks awesome, good work!

Although, donating an original JP cart and having the ROM replaced with a translated one, that's pretty nifty. I swear I've heard of people doing this with, say, Final Fantasy V, but I don't know who, specifically, would run such a service.

yeah, i totally wrecked a handful of College Slams for FF V, Mana 2, Terranigma, SMT 1 & 2, and Firemen. I had a PAL copy of Pocky & Rocky reprogrammed for US, and having just picked up Bahamut Lagoon for dirt cheap, im debating reaching out on NintendoAge to do the same with the fan translation if it ends up looking interesting. i know there's an argument to be made for College Slam, but i damn sure won't hear any of it for the titles i just want the region/language switched on.

Teknoman

wow, yeah that looks awesome, good work!

yeah, i totally wrecked a handful of College Slams for FF V, Mana 2, Terranigma, SMT 1 & 2, and Firemen. I had a PAL copy of Pocky & Rocky reprogrammed for US, and having just picked up Bahamut Lagoon for dirt cheap, im debating reaching out on NintendoAge to do the same with the fan translation if it ends up looking interesting. i know there's an argument to be made for College Slam, but i damn sure won't hear any of it for the titles i just want the region/language switched on.

I still need to do that with FF III, IV, and V JP. Actually I think i'll do that for whenever I get Alcahest, SD3, and whatever others instead of just getting a repro cart. That way I have an actual box (possibly) and the usually better looking cart art.

smbu2000

Just picked this up earlier today, Sutte Hakkun. Released in 1999, it's a pretty late SFC release. Some slight damage at the top of the box as somebody put tape on it and didn't take it off carefully...as well as a ding on the bottom, but otherwise in good shape. (I took off a security sticker on back and used an eraser to get the black marker off the bar code.)

I paid 4980 yen for it which seems like a pretty good deal, considering the prices I've seen for it.

P1010977_a_zps7307e6f8.jpg

perzmo

Neo Member
Looking for some advice. Lliving in Norway and want to sell my US NTSC Snes collection. Ebay is not an option, because they limit shipping cost to USD 4,- per item. What's the best aternative for selling these ?

List of CiB - titles:
Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger
Contra III Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Equinox
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
F-Zero
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia
Lufia II
Mega Man X
Secret of Evermore
Soul Blazer
Starfox
Stunr Race FX
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Super Smash TV
Super Star Wars
Uniracers
Zombies Ate My Neighbours

Peagles

Looking for some advice. Lliving in Norway and want to sell my US NTSC Snes collection. Ebay is not an option, because they limit shipping cost to USD 4,- per item. What's the best aternative for selling these ?

List of CiB - titles:
Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger
Contra III Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Equinox
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
F-Zero
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia
Lufia II
Mega Man X
Secret of Evermore
Soul Blazer
Starfox
Stunr Race FX
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Super Smash TV
Super Star Wars
Uniracers

IMO NeoGAF has a great buy/sell/trade section. But I think you should just sell them to me! :p

D-e-f-

Banned

List of CiB - titles:
Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger
Contra III Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Equinox
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
F-Zero
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia
Lufia II
Mega Man X
Secret of Evermore
Soul Blazer
Starfox
Stunr Race FX
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Super Smash TV
Super Star Wars
Uniracers

Just use your local eBay. Mention the game is NTSC and you're good. People are buying NTSC games all over the world (like me).

Yasawas

I think he's saying he doesn't want to use eBay because they limit how much you can charge for shipping on a video game, it's not cheap to sent CIB SNES games these days. Your best bet is still eBay but make it very clear in the description that delivery will be more and that buyers should wait on an invoice from you. People will understand as long as you're only changing cost price.

I bought Super Famicom Jungle Strike CIB last week (£1!), the guy did this and charged me £4.50 rather than the £3 I think we're limited to charging for post on eBay UK. I saw when it arrived that that was cost price and doesn't even take into account the box he used or the bubble wrap etc. eBay's rules are maddening.

D-e-f-

Banned
I think he's saying he doesn't want to use eBay because they limit how much you can charge for shipping on a video game, it's not cheap to sent CIB SNES games these days. Your best bet is still eBay but make it very clear in the description that delivery will be more and that buyers should wait on an invoice from you. People will understand as long as you're only changing cost price.

I bought Super Famicom Jungle Strike CIB last week (£1!), the guy did this and charged me £4.50 rather than the £3 I think we're limited to charging for post on eBay UK. I saw when it arrived that that was cost price and doesn't even take into account the box he used or the bubble wrap etc. eBay's rules are maddening.
There're different options on the various eBay sites. To me it sounds like he wants to sell on eBay US but ship from EU which is why the restrictions are a problem. eBay UK lets you select a "from outside the UK" shipping option, for example. Alternatively you could just leave it blank and detail the actual costs in the descriptions. Or just sell it on GAF :) ...If money weren't so tight, I'd gladly take some of those :D

Kainazzo

So, King of Demons. It's become one of my favorite JP exclusives, which is tough to believe when I know all of its faults. For a 1995 game, the graphics could be better, and the music is often of an excessively high pitch. There are cheap deaths, unbalanced bosses, and what is sure to be lots of missing content. The eye fight->plant boss transition is quite jarring. Honestly, the 5-6 ratings seem to be justified, yet I keep on playing it.

I think I know why: when I play it, it's the game I want it to be, not the game it actually is. I love the backgrounds, the bell chime that plays on the world map, and the few times when the game is genuinely creepy. The "good" ending is a bit of a turnaround as well, but I know there's so much more that could've been done with this game. I'd love to remake it someday, so perhaps I will.

-Title intro with human Bayer.
-Add more (skippable) story content in between stages. Add another stage to give purpose to the random medusa and eyeball bosses (plant boss placement makes sense).
-Tweak Abel's controls for 8-way combat, and add some verticality to stages for compensation.
-New Game+ with playable Iria (human and demon). Show the events from her point of view.
-A "best" ending to get Maria back. I was surprised you didn't get one for playing through it as human Abel, rejecting the demonic powers. Seriously, not only do you get Maria's sentient soul at the beginning, but you can also get it back twice more in other stages. What happened to it?

Obviously, it left a mark if it has me thinking this much about it :p A wonderful title that any SNES fan should try out (doubly so if you enjoyed Demon's Crest).

A question though: is the ending at all changed for beating it on hard mode? I only just discovered it, and I can't find a definite "yes" or "no" anywhere. Even the LP guy who covered the differences gave up near the end. It's definitely a challenge >_>

Kainazzo

I wanted this awhile ago, but the actual cart seems to be pretty damn expensive.

Holy crap, eBay's got it at Neo-Geo levels 0_o. Glad I grabbed it when I could; while it's a great example of a fine-yet-flawed gem, it is not worth $500. I swear just a year ago I'd seen it incomplete for under $100, it may just be bad pickings for the moment.

Teknoman

Holy crap, eBay's got it at Neo-Geo levels 0_o. Glad I grabbed it when I could; while it's a great example of a fine-yet-flawed gem, it is not worth $500. I swear just a year ago I'd seen it incomplete for under $100, it may just be bad pickings for the moment.

Hope so, I think at one time Guardian Legend jumped in price like that for the NES.

Celine

Ok this might not be exactly on topic, but I got my SD2SNES today! Holy shit this thing is fucking awesome. Feels very well put together. Very sturdy. Loaded up some games on the SD card and tried it out. Works perfectly. Just wonderful. There's even an SPC player in the menu, so I've basically filled the card mostly with .spcs now since I like listening to game music on real hardware. I have a hard time thinking of SNES games with awesome music though for some reason, except for the Mega Man games and Earthbound I guess. Any suggestions?

I tried that SMW hack "Super Mario Oddysey" with MSU-1 audio. Pretty crazy hearing such good audio from the SNES, even though it's cheating a little. I hope the MSU-1 "chip" gets used in more romhacks in the future because it's really cool. This was only a demo so there's only one level I think. But I see the potential.
How much have you payed your SD2SNES?

Also try Super Road Blaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THJvsIezXrQ

Teknoman

I see why it commands the price it does (well sorta, around the 60 dollar range anyway). The stages for the most part are a decent length, stage 2's music and visual effects really kick things into overdrive, and everything just feels really well made in general.

Also i'm a sucker for any game featuring Nazca lines.

Top Bottom